iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos rings looks purrrty.

people have gotten really spoiled with these low app prices. nearly every review i read these days contains a price suggestion from the user. the community is now to the point where they think "i've gotten this much for $x, so i deserve no less from anyone". where else does that mentality work?

oh wait, cheap asses... never mind.

i'm not cheap, i'm poor, there's a difference.

Per the gameshare discussion, unlike Sony Apple has never publicly condoned gamesharing. With most games in the $1-$3 range, it is hardly worth the effort to set up the gameshare.

So, from the description, Chaos Rings sounds like it's just a battle game, like Pokemon Battle Revolution. Am I misreading that description?

The story revolves around a tournament where combatants fight for their lives: the Ark Arena

Free App a Day has Dragon Dollar Slots (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=20&month=04) for its virtual gambling gaming freebie today.
OpenFeint has Tap n Pop Arcade: Group Remove (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tap-n-pop-arcade-group-remove/id340524558?mt=8).
Great App a Day is featuring Enso Dot Zen (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/enso8226dot-zen/).
Free App Calendar has the questionably-named Tramp Stamp (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=95). And, no, it's not a virtual skank game . . . unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Chaos Rings looks incredibly impressive and to be quite honest, the price seems fair. I think many of us have been spoiled by .99 cent games. Not to say there isn't a place for them or that .99 cent games aren't the bread and butter of most of our iPhone/touch libraries but, given the quality and exclusivity of this particular title I think $12.99 is a fair price point.

I'll probably end up grabbing this sometime today and I'll try to post some impressions. I think the most refreshing part of this is that it's a major company putting out a 100% new IP on a platform that has seen a majority of remakes and indie developer support and I think that's very significant. I for one hope that games like this show other developers that it's worth coming out with original content that's high quality and not derivative of something else can be worthwhile for companies to invest their time and money in. For that to happen, the price simply needs to be higher than .99 or even $9.99 in some cases. This is still half the msrp of your typical DS or PSP game and looks to have stunning graphics that move the platform forward.

Quite frankly it's a game I would have ignored on DS or PSP. I'm not saying it's not worth more than 'x' amount but I can certainly wait until a lower price with all the iPhone games I already have waiting to be played.

Yeah, but you'll be waiting a nice long time for it to be at a price that you would probably be willing to pay. Song Summoner says hello. Realistically, you aren't going to see this game suddenly going for $1.99 in the next month or two. That's the price you pay when you play with the big boys ... It's the same reason GTA will likely never drop to a dollar or two ... until it's inevitable successor is released.

Chaos Rings looks awesome but I gotta upgrade my OG when the 4th gen comes out, some games are just too slow on this thing

Damn, song summoner looks great might have to pick it up.

[quote name='Hostile']Quite frankly it's a game I would have ignored on DS or PSP. I'm not saying it's not worth more than 'x' amount but I can certainly wait until a lower price with all the iPhone games I already have waiting to be played.[/QUOTE]

Chaos Rings is better than pretty much all of S-E's DS and PSP outings, besides Crisis Core. People have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

Trust me people....don't spend $7 on FF1 or 2 when you can spend $6 more and get an awesome full featured 3D rpg.

[quote name='crunchewy']So, from the description, Chaos Rings sounds like it's just a battle game, like Pokemon Battle Revolution. Am I misreading that description?
[/QUOTE]

yeah, you're misreading it. The game is a JRPG. You dungeon crawl and go back and forth between a hub world.

Chaos Rings looks....wow. Would take almost all of a $15 iTunes card though. Anybody know how many hours it takes to complete each character pairs story and how many character pairs are possible?

[quote name='ninja dog']Trust me people....don't spend $7 on FF1 or 2 when you can spend $6 more and get an awesome full featured 3D rpg.[/QUOTE]

My question is how well is that "full featured 3D rpg" going to run on my 3G? I'm not upgrading my phone until the new model comes out (and even then, the jury is still out on whether it'll be another iPhone or not), and I don't want to blow $13 on a game that may or may not run well on the hardware that I have.

I have no real problem with them charging that much for a game (it's my choice whether I spend it or not), but (especially given the varying generations of hardware at this point) if they are going to charge that much, there needs to be a demo that is representative of both how the game plays and how well it will run.

I am disapointed in the square enix sale prices on their original lineup but will take the plunge on Chaos Rings and FF2 (already have FF1). Does anyone have any quick deals on itunes gift cards? If I can't get the games cheaper, I can at least get the currency for less. :lol:

[quote name='bdseed316']Chaos Rings looks....wow. Would take almost all of a $15 iTunes card though. Anybody know how many hours it takes to complete each character pairs story and how many character pairs are possible?[/QUOTE]

4 pairs (you have 2 to choose from at the beginning.) ~8 hours each. New game+ for each.
Beating the game with all 4 pairs gives you the real ending.

[quote name='arcane93']My question is how well is that "full featured 3D rpg" going to run on my 3G? I'm not upgrading my phone until the new model comes out (and even then, the jury is still out on whether it'll be another iPhone or not), and I don't want to blow $13 on a game that may or may not run well on the hardware that I have.

I have no real problem with them charging that much for a game (it's my choice whether I spend it or not), but (especially given the varying generations of hardware at this point) if they are going to charge that much, there needs to be a demo that is representative of both how the game plays and how well it will run.[/QUOTE]

people in this thread are saying it runs fine on both 2G and 3G:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390512&page=4

There's an option in the game that lets you turn off certain environmental effects for a better frame rate.

I think I'll buy Chaos Rings. I have a new $25 iTunes card sitting in my account right now. I've got a long flight home this week, so it'll help to fill my time.

Might also buy Doom II RPG in case Chaos Rings doesn't hit the spot.

chaos rings is pretty damn good. I dont really care for turn based games, but this is probably the most complete original IP on the app store, even seems to have its own musical score. It controls really well and has a level of polish thats pretty rare on the iphone. Hopefully more big publishers will follow with original content, I know the Professor Layton guys have a new IP coming soon.

[quote name='j0dy77']I am disapointed in the square enix sale prices on their original lineup but will take the plunge on Chaos Rings and FF2 (already have FF1). Does anyone have any quick deals on itunes gift cards? If I can't get the games cheaper, I can at least get the currency for less. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's not much, but walmart.com currently has 5% bing cashback and free shipping on itunes cards.

Target has 5 hour battery packs on clearance for anyone looking for some extended gaming sessions. Picked one up for $10, seems pretty solid so far($40 MSRP)

Stupid question alert: if I already bought the original Song Summoner (which was ipod classic only), do I have to re-buy the new version that works on iphone/itouch?

I think I already know the answer... :p

[quote name='gunm']Stupid question alert: if I already bought the original Song Summoner (which was ipod classic only), do I have to re-buy the new version that works on iphone/itouch?

I think I already know the answer... :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all of the iPod Classic titles would need to be re-purchased on iPhone - they're completely separate entities. Plus, I believe that Song Summoner has some added content (since it's got "Encore" tacked at the end) which makes it like needing to buy a GOTY version when you already own the original - annoying, but the way that things work.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']101 games in 1... On sale for 99 cents, normally 5 bucks. I jumped on it... Sale ends the 28th.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/101-in-1-games/id348389024?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Hmm... sounds like your a sucker for multiple game apps. or those all in one deals. I bought the 28 All in one deal for $0.99. Passed on the 16 in one for $0.99, the only game on it that looked decent was the tunnel app, similar to Boost 3D. So now there is this 101 games in 1 deal for $0.99.

Give me a rundown on what games are actually worth playing on this thing. If they are any good and if they hold your interest longer then 10 minutes. If so I may bite on this one. only 30 mb download for 101 games, they cant be very deep or enriched with replay value.

636000.png

Cocoto Kart HD Online
iPad Only
On sale - Get the #1 iPad Kart Racer for $0.99!
Console-quality online kart racing now available for iPad! Always players online, no waiting time! Play 10 tracks with 12 unique animated drivers, collect crazy bonuses, play the grand prix or challenge players from all over the world in the online battle mode!

http://appshopper.com/games/cocoto-kart-hd-online

Anyone bite on this one.. I dont have an IPAD yet but am sure I will get one sometime down the road. Wonder if I should pick this up now for $0.99

549959.png

Guerrilla Bob $0.99!
TIME LIMITED SALE! 66.6% OFF! A fast-action shooter with high-quality visuals and plenty of weaponry! Watch the gameplay trailer: GUERILLABOB.com!

I like this game. If you like minigore, I think youll like this and its only $0.99 if you dont.

http://appshopper.com/games/guerrilla-bob

Theres also a free version for you to try.. before you buy...

[quote name='107proof']
636000.png

Cocoto Kart HD Online
iPad Only
On sale - Get the #1 iPad Kart Racer for $0.99!
Console-quality online kart racing now available for iPad! Always players online, no waiting time! Play 10 tracks with 12 unique animated drivers, collect crazy bonuses, play the grand prix or challenge players from all over the world in the online battle mode!

http://appshopper.com/games/cocoto-kart-hd-online

Anyone bite on this one.. I dont have an IPAD yet but am sure I will get one sometime down the road. Wonder if I should pick this up now for $0.99[/QUOTE]

Its worth .99, also you should check out the ipad sale thread.

[quote name='ninja dog']Chaos Rings is better than pretty much all of S-E's DS and PSP outings, besides Crisis Core. People have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

Trust me people....don't spend $7 on FF1 or 2 when you can spend $6 more and get an awesome full featured 3D rpg. [/QUOTE]

Well since you said that I personally don't see Chaos Rings being better than: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, The World Ends With You, the remakes/updated ports of older titles like Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, etc., and DQIX. I certainly wasn't going to spend any money on FF1 or FF2. Also Crisis Core was a piece of **** in my opinion.

With all that said Chaos Rings is already in my AppShopper wishlist.

Trust me, the 101 in 1 app is awesome. I enjoy everything on it... It holds my interest for hours at a time. Well worth 99 cents.

[quote name='Hostile']Well since you said that I personally don't see Chaos Rings being better than: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, The World Ends With You, the remakes/updated ports of older titles like Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, etc., and DQIX. I certainly wasn't going to spend any money on FF1 or FF2. Also Crisis Core was a piece of **** in my opinion.

With all that said Chaos Rings is already in my AppShopper wishlist.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, forgot about TWEWY. It was decent. DQ games are boring as shit and two million hours long, but i guess hardcore rpg fans like that. DQ9 didn't seem to set the world on fire like it was supposed to. Chrono Trigger kinda goes without saying, but it's not a modern S-E game.

Lmfao at 2 million hours long. Look bro, I just want me some good games on mah iPod touch.

Hook Champ, Canabalt, Touchgrind, PvZ, Dark Void Zero, will all be purchased in 2 days.

It looks like it's time to try another d-pad controlled iPhone game for me soon to see if I still hate it. Dark Void Zero looks pretty hot.

Dark Void Zero has the worst virtual d-pad I've used so far, so it's not the best water mark. Chaos Rings does it much better, and it's not even an action game.

Picked up Chaos Rings and FF2 as previously mentioned. Chaos Rings is really an impressive piece of work. To be playing with this level of high quality graphics on my phone is really great. The graphics remind me A LOT of Vagrant Story. Makes me hope and dream they can one day bring that masterpiece to the iPhone.

I really hope people break down their, "I won't pay more than $1" mindset for a game like this. This is an IP from a top developer made specifically for the platform. If this game is successful other developers will follow and the platform can more than the $1 games that throw up daily all over the store.

[quote name='ninja dog']oh yeah, forgot about TWEWY. It was decent. DQ games are boring as shit and two million hours long, but i guess hardcore rpg fans like that. DQ9 didn't seem to set the world on fire like it was supposed to. Chrono Trigger kinda goes without saying, but it's not a modern S-E game.[/QUOTE]

This is veering OT, but ... You do realize DQIX has sold more than 4 million copies in Japan, right? And it hasn't come out in other territories yet? I'm not sure what your measure of "setting the world on fire" is, though.

May pick up Chaos Rings down the road, but I've been wading through other RPGs as of late, and another one right around finals is easily the worst mistake to make. :p

[quote name='caltab']for casual fans, Fruit Ninja is really fun for a buck. I would have never though I'd like a slashing fruit game, but the achievements and bombs make it really fun. The well regarded developer has promised more content in updates.

[/QUOTE]

Haha. I liked the ad, but I'll wait until it goes free.

Also, this is referring to about 10 pages back at this point, but I picked up IMO: World of Magic and its a pretty good game. MMO that relies on grinding quite a bit for replayability. Usually I don't buy into these types of games, but for some reason this one got me hooked. I'm interested to know if anyone else plays it and they should PM me so we can party. My name on the game is "GWillikers" so PM me if your a regular or you decide to take the plunge.

BTW, IMO is still free so everyone with a slight interest in the concept should at least check it out.

I'm really enjoying Sword of Fargoal. It's a good rogue-like. I got it for free. I'm not sure if it's worth $3.99, but that's only because, well, I got it for free! If you like Rogue-likes it's probably worth that price. Good, retro-style game.

bread's done
Back