Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doctorfaustus']Nope, there is no story at all.

Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles has about the same amount of story as the Game Boy Tetris game.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Seems like a waste of a license to me. Thanks for the review, though. I guess I'll keep it on my wish list and wait for a drop to free. That also sucks about FMIC. FMIC2 is the paid version and is the longer version of FMIC. BS. That's getting deleted when I get home. For anyone that likes the hidden object games, I recommend "Mystery of Unicorn Castle". A bit on the short side but the gameplay is very good.

Because you just can't have too many match-3 freebies, here's Motleys to add to your collection (http://appshopper.com/games/motleys).

"A highly addictive color matching game based on the classic 3 item match with an explosive twist.

Featuring a physics engine, online high scores, achievements, friend challenging and more, this game is simple to learn, yet may take quite a bit longer to master. Did we mention a pirate theme yet?"

[quote name='etcrane']If it has the same control scheme the first game had, I would definitely say pass ... or if you absolutely positively need some Monkey Island on your iPhone, at least wait for a sale.

I picked up the first game and found it unplayable because of the whole dragging the cursor around then clicking, instead of utilizing the touch interface. Decided that for the sequel I would be smart and grab it on Steam, got the 1st too for pre-ordering so it came out to about $5 per game for a superior version.[/QUOTE]

Apparently the new game has a completely revamped control scheme. Gone are the days of sliding a cursor around. Now the game functions like most other iphone point and click adventure games, where you just touch an object you want to examine, or the area you want to go. The game also adds a new feature where you hold 2 fingers on the screen at the same time which highlights all the interactive objects in the environment (and exits and entrances), saving you from excruciating pixel hunting. Another cool features is if you slide 2 fingers across the screen it toggles between the old and new art style. It def. sounds like if you enjoy the monkey island games, this sequel is a big improvement over the first on the iphone/touch

[quote name='doctorfaustus']A lot of the reviews for SW Cantina on the iTunes store complain about the game being rather short. What was your experience?[/QUOTE]

I should note that the game dropped to 2.99 not 1.99. While the main story mode of the game isn't particularly long (probably can beat it in 2 hours) there is the endless shift mode to see how long you can last racking up points, until you piss off too many customers. I just personally found dinner dash to have zero personality, and an atrocious art style.

[quote name='107proof']Bedlam dropped from $5.99 --> FREE!!

137487.png

FREE FOR A DAY: JULY 07 2010 (Normally $6). A deep and unique MMORPG world with NO subscription fees and NO in-app unlocks. Play online forever in a vast, real-time world, with 14 special classes and thousands of different NPC's.

http://appshopper.com/games/bedlam[/QUOTE]

has anyone played this? MMOs (especially free ones) always tempt me. but i find i rarely put significant time into them when they arent on a PC.

meh, after reading about it i doubt its my thing. still a nice discount.

[quote name='KrAzY3']Angry Vikings is free: http://www.appspy.com/angry-viking-review

From what I've heard it's a bit overly simplistic, but the graphics look cool and it's hard to argue with free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on the freebie, but I can argue with free. This game may be pretty, but it's boring as hell and the controls are pretty bad. I suppose it's worth a look if you're in to the "stand in one place and shoot everything that's coming towards you" genre, but it's been done many times before and with much better execution. I'm deleting my copy.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Thanks for the heads up on the freebie, but I can argue with free. This game may be pretty, but it's boring as hell and the controls are pretty bad. I suppose it's worth a look if you're in to the "stand in one place and shoot everything that's coming towards you" genre, but it's been done many times before and with much better execution. I'm deleting my copy.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games I won't bring myself to download. They look like they were made in a special education computer class or something. I suppose you could put about 80% of the discounted to free games in that category and about a third of the free games posted here.

However, if games have some basic aspect of a good game right, I think it's worth checking them out. For instance, I hung on to Twin Blades until they updated it and they went from a ultra simplistic, but good looking game to one with a actual story that is much better reviewed now. It's the same reason I'm hanging on to Deadly Dungeon, one major update and it's a great game.

I'm not at all a fan of the Minigore style games, I do think they are boring by nature, but I'm certainly someone that can admire something that is well done. Not all aspects of Angry Vikings are well done, but clearly the visuals and visceral feel is well beyond a majority of iPhone drivel out there. All they have to do is go back and add some depth to the game and you might have a gem. In the world of Papi Jump and innumerable gun apps this certainly is worth free. If nothing else one can install it, delete it and you can go back and get it free of cost later should it have a major update.

mzl.olbxewwk.320x480-75.jpg

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']has anyone played this? MMOs (especially free ones) always tempt me. but i find i rarely put significant time into them when they arent on a PC.

meh, after reading about it i doubt its my thing. still a nice discount.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded it last night, and was fairly unimpressed. The UI was horrible, and the game kept crashing on my 3rd gen ipod touch. Eventually the game would just boot to a black screen and kick me back to the home screen every time. Guess it was free for a reason....

[quote name='jamesesdad']I downloaded it last night, and was fairly unimpressed. The UI was horrible, and the game kept crashing on my 3rd gen ipod touch. Eventually the game would just boot to a black screen and kick me back to the home screen every time. Guess it was free for a reason....[/QUOTE]

same shit on my iphone 4....the UI is HORRID

The new Free App a Day title is the real estate / construction sim Build-a-Lot (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=234)

"Build, buy, and sell houses and send the real estate market through the roof! Flip houses for quick cash or sit back and watch the rental income pile up. Master the housing market and work your way into commercial properties like cinemas, ice rinks, and fire stations. Build up towns and become a real estate mogul!"

The OpenFeint free game for Thursday is the puzzler Clank (http://itunes.apple.com/app/clank/id347106745?mt=8#)

"Get into the challenging world of Clank!

You will find 30 different levels that won't give your mind a rest . Think fast if you want to solve the puzzles before time beats you. Move the metal tiles around so they complete a colored path. Looks easy? Give it a try."

The TD/strategy game Bot Invaders! is currently on sale for FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/bot-invaders).

"Defend your iPhone/iPod Touch from the robot invasion! Tap, drag, zap and bomb them as they attempt to punch through and wreak havoc on your device’s underlying circuit board. Lay mines and send out repair trucks to fix damaged components. How long will you be able to fight them off? Do you have what it takes to defend your favorite device?"

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Anyone have the wolframalpha app? How easy is it to input problems? Can you input them fast?[/QUOTE]

Unless you are using this for fairly complex math equations, you can get the exact same functionality on the wolfram alpha mobile site and just create a link for the home screen. The app simply has a extra layer that pops up on the keyboard that gives you some extra characters to input. Again unless you feel like you are solving fairly complex equations on a consistent basis I would just recommend pointing your mobile browser towards wolframalpha.com and saving the link to the home screen. The app is functionally useless without the internet so you might as well just use the mobile site.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The new Free App a Day title is the real estate / construction sim Build-a-Lot (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=234)

"Build, buy, and sell houses and send the real estate market through the roof! Flip houses for quick cash or sit back and watch the rental income pile up. Master the housing market and work your way into commercial properties like cinemas, ice rinks, and fire stations. Build up towns and become a real estate mogul!"[/QUOTE]

My wife already played through this game. Not my type of game but if you're into this style game, it's probably a pretty good game to pick up.

I know this doesn't pertain to games, but I'm purchasing a new 32 gb Ipod Touch and wanted to know if anyone knows a good, decently priced case on Amazon. I searched for a few, but most seemed of poor quality.

try Focalprice.com I order spare headphones there all the time. Their cases are also pretty cheap and a few are very good. Keep in mind while shipping is free it takes up to 1 month for the stuff to get to u since the company is based in china.

[quote name='sandaz93']I know this doesn't pertain to games, but I'm purchasing a new 32 gb Ipod Touch and wanted to know if anyone knows a good, decently priced case on Amazon. I searched for a few, but most seemed of poor quality.[/QUOTE]

I use the silicone skin cases from Monoprice on my iPod and like those, but I imagine you're probably interested in something with a bit more heft and protection.

Grabbed Build-A-Lot. Almost picked it up at a buck so free was a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='TouchArcade.com']"Ultraviolet Dawn is described as a hybrid space-shooter/trading game which puts the player into an open Universe with over a thousand stars to explore. The entire map is generated when you start the game and it's up to you to trade, fight, upgrade, or follow missions. The game is controlled via dual stick controls."[/QUOTE]

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultraviolet-dawn/id369814099?mt=8
(Not showing up in appshopper yet)

Note: That is how you would quote something. Kinda like quoting a post. For those in Kentucky who haven't been taught the simple art of citing i'd pay attention. This is a simple form in which you would see an internet blogging site normally use. There is a much more lengthier format for people who would attend college might normally use write essays but this is a simple way to say you found X info on X site.. But i guess some people are better off making some KFC.

Free App Calendar is offering Angry Viper Vicky for its free game today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=245)

"Vicky is hungry. Vicky is angry. And it's feeding time! Fortunately for Vicky, there are plenty of tasty creatures scampering through her forest. Feast on juicy frogs, bats, bunnies, and her favorite - tasty little mice. Watch out for disgusting spiders - they taste bitter and make Vicky sick.
Catch bouncing red apples for extra time. Catch a gold apple to become Super Vicky!"

Free App a Day has added Runtastic PRO to its lineup of titles for today (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=235)

"Runtastic PRO iPhone App - your personal sports and health assistant for all kinds of exercises (running, cycling, gym training, walking, hiking, skiing, cross-country skiing, skating, boarding, elliptical, tennis, yoga and many others)."

Knock down virtual milk bottles in the carnival classic Spill Da' Milk, now FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/spill-da-milk)

"Step right up and try your skill at one of your favorite Boardwalk/Midway attractions!

BOARDWALK GAMES™: SPILL DA’ MILK™ combines amazing graphics, realistic physics and great game play to recreate the action and ambience of a carnival booth on the Boardwalk."

[quote name='fazfznz']http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultraviolet-dawn/id369814099?mt=8
(Not showing up in appshopper yet)

Note: That is how you would quote something. Kinda like quoting a post. For those in Kentucky who haven't been taught the simple art of citing i'd pay attention. This is a simple form in which you would see an internet blogging site normally use. There is a much more lengthier format for people who would attend college might normally use write essays but this is a simple way to say you found X info on X site.. But i guess some people are better off making some KFC.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Seriously? I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to make yourself sound more like a jerk.

On another note, THANK you 107proof for providing numerous updates to this thread and pointing out several free games that I otherwise would have missed.

[quote name='fazfznz']Note: That is how you would quote something. Kinda like quoting a post. For those in Kentucky who haven't been taught the simple art of citing i'd pay attention. This is a simple form in which you would see an internet blogging site normally use. There is a much more lengthier format for people who would attend college might normally use write essays but this is a simple way to say you found X info on X site.. But i guess some people are better off making some KFC.[/QUOTE]

In case you haven't noticed, the majority (quite possibly all) of Dimsdale's quoted descriptions are from the iTunes app pages themselves, not fucking Touch Arcade. Given that they're 1) in quotes, so clearly not his own text, and 2) from the developers' descriptions which he is directly linking to, it's not that big a fucking deal. Give it a rest already.

Yeah, we're all tired of it. We understand, you're much more educated than us. But frankly, I don't care, I just want to see the deals and I appreciate Dimsdale, 107proof, and everyone else's posts that contribute.

[quote name='sandaz93']I know this doesn't pertain to games, but I'm purchasing a new 32 gb Ipod Touch and wanted to know if anyone knows a good, decently priced case on Amazon. I searched for a few, but most seemed of poor quality.[/QUOTE]

I just got an Otterbox case for my iTouch 32GB after going through a pretty crappy DLO silicone case that was free with the iPod and a Speck case that although highly reviewed, did not last as long as I had expected. So far I am impressed with the Otterbox. I no longer fear letting my 2 year old hold the device while he (yes he) watches "Princess and the Frog" for the millionth time. :)

All the new iPhone 4 flashlight apps are coming out now. I have been using the flash as a flashlight since I got the phone and now it's just one clock to get to it.

Build-a-Lot is a pleasent surprise of a game. Thanks for the heads up on that one! Also picked up Ultraviolet Dawn. Looks decent, I just wish those trading games gave you a bit more information on the univserses economy. I.e. what are decent prices for things. They throw you in and you just have to hope you're not picking up Water at a huge price, and will never be able to sell it for a profit. It's not a criticism of that game, just that genre of games as a whole.

Never even thought about a flashlight app, but it makes total sense. I usually go to the lock screen (King Hippo wallpaper right now), which isn't that bright and doesn't stay on long. But I'll totally use this every Sunday when I turn off the lights at class!

[quote name='fazfznz']

Note: That is how you would quote something. Kinda like quoting a post. For those in Kentucky who haven't been taught the simple art of citing i'd pay attention. This is a simple form in which you would see an internet blogging site normally use. There is a much more lengthier format for people who would attend college might normally use write essays but this is a simple way to say you found X info on X site.. But i guess some people are better off making some KFC.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you've joined Fire Thief on my ignore list.
Maybe you guys can form a club...
somewhere else...

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Check out monoprice.com

I recently bought one of their TPU iPad cases and posted a review here on CAG. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=15346[/QUOTE]
Good review. I'm sure you've heard of this but for sandaz93, you could try the Zagg invisishield, even thought it offers no protection for the sides, if you watch the entertaining youtube videos you can see its nearly impenetrable. Couple this with a cheap case like the one doctorfaustas reviewed you can't go wrong. Check out your local malls they usually have cheap installations unlike the Zagg online store. I do believe there is a few 25% off codes posted a couple pages back if you do end up ordering online.

To violentlee and malikl: Appshopper has a great roundup of all the led flashlight apps for iPhone 4. http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/07/07/roundup-iphone-4-led-flashlight-apps/
I personally use Led Light for iPhone 4 Free, the (i)Ads are unobtrusive unlike those admob ads and you can also toggle strobe (warning: toggling strobe on may cause seizures ;))

To: Arcane93, clearly i'm not talking about him quoting from the developer page. I'm merely pointing out to 107proof that its easy to quote an article. Easy on the profanity, it doesn't make your arguments any more fucking valid even if you believe it does.

To BillyDKid: Only if you shave that ferret off your face in your gamertag. Congratulations you can't even read this post but you make a cheap shot and hide behind an ignore list. Keep it classy.

[quote name='fazfznz']To: Arcane93, clearly i'm not talking about him quoting from the developer page. I'm merely pointing out to 107proof that its easy to quote an article. [/QUOTE]

And yet all of 107proof's posts are quoting from App Shopper, to which he is linking, and App Shopper steals its text from the App Store listings. You're not really helping your case here.

[quote name='fazfznz']Easy on the profanity, it doesn't make your arguments any more fucking valid even if you believe it does.[/QUOTE]

Got your attention, didn't it? You didn't bother responding to the others who commented about your inanity, so apparently it served some purpose.

Anyway, I'm with BillyDKid -- you and Fire_Thief can have a play date or something on my ignore list.

I never mentioned appshopper.com in any of my posts. Of course people are going to quote the app description. I'm just saying if you're going to quote a whole article or even a few sentences from a site you should link to it or at least state you found it there. I don't see the point in responding to other people if they are basically as being closed minded as you.

Just got my iPhone 4 today. Flash as a flashlight? That's pretty cool. I picked up a few of the free ones to try out.

Also picked up Build-a-Lot, but haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='fazfznz']I don't see the point in responding to other people if they are basically as being closed minded as you.[/QUOTE]

So, let me get this straight . . . You're the one throwing out personal insults at people based on your perception of their education and/or intelligence, the state they're from, and even their facial hair (on their avatars, no less) . . . and we're the closed minded ones? Right, then. At least now we know for certain where you're coming from -- a desperate cry for attention.

Ok, now you go on the ignore list for real.

[quote name='fazfznz']To violentlee and malikl: Appshopper has a great roundup of all the led flashlight apps for iPhone 4. http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/07/07/roundup-iphone-4-led-flashlight-apps/
I personally use Led Light for iPhone 4 Free, the (i)Ads are unobtrusive unlike those admob ads and you can also toggle strobe (warning: toggling strobe on may cause seizures ;))[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I downloaded the app you suggested. I was using a different free one but i like the looks of this one better.

Arcane93 - whatever helps you sleep better at night, hypocrite .

Anyone here get far in eliminate: gun range? Controlling the gyroscope is a pain.

If there was ONE place on CAG I would think folks would get along, it'd be here on the iPod/iPhone game section. We're a minority, and often looked down upon because this system isn't a 'real gaming' system.

How about we get back to the free/cheap apps, and let sleeping dogs lie? Everybody good with that?

[quote name='fazfznz']
To violentlee and malikl: Appshopper has a great roundup of all the led flashlight apps for iPhone 4. http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/07/07/roundup-iphone-4-led-flashlight-apps/
I personally use Led Light for iPhone 4 Free, the (i)Ads are unobtrusive unlike those admob ads and you can also toggle strobe (warning: toggling strobe on may cause seizures ;))[/QUOTE]

I've been using the 'Flashlight.' app for a couple years now...its free and it does its job. I mainly use it as a night light for my son from time to time and you can change colors (scroll left or right) and brightness (scroll up or down) on the spot.

It's the one by John Haney if anyone was interested.

Didn't see this up on the site yet. OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day Warblade dropped from $0.99 to FREE. It's a fun shoot 'em up.

http://appshopper.com/games/warblade

"Warblade is an arcade game with a focus on very good playability. It's a shoot'em up type of game like the old classic arcade game Galaga. Warblade is an iPhone/iPod touch remake of my old Amiga game Deluxe Galaga. A very popular game for the Amiga computer and also as Warblade on the PC and Mac. Voted most addictive game by Bytten.com"

It's seems like every game I decide to buy eventually becomes free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back