Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Smaxor']Cowboys vs Zombies: $2.99 -> $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/cowboys-vs-zombies

Anyone have some opinions on this one? It just came out. I'm not the biggest TD fan, but I also feel the TD games on iPhone have only been ok.

My Brute : $4.99 -> free
http://appshopper.com/games/my-brute[/QUOTE]

Here is Slide to Play's review of the game (Not very favorable overall)
http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/cowboys-vs-zombies-review
Seems like the engine is very flawed, and the game isn't particularly long. If you are having trouble finding some good TD games I would highly recommend Plants Vs Zombies, Star Defense, Geo Defense, and Geo Defense Swarm.

Fastar! (Fight angry squares: the action rpg) is on sale this weekend for 50% off its full price.

072963.png

http://appshopper.com/games/fastar

Sounds pretty silly, but fun. Touch Arcade gave it a overwhelmingly positive review. I'll probably buy this one tonight and let everyone know what I think! Here is the link for the TA review

http://toucharcade.com/2010/07/29/f...-fighting-angry-squares-would-be-so-much-fun/

[quote name='jamesesdad']Here is Slide to Play's review of the game (Not very favorable overall)
http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/cowboys-vs-zombies-review
Seems like the engine is very flawed, and the game isn't particularly long. If you are having trouble finding some good TD games I would highly recommend Plants Vs Zombies, Star Defense, Geo Defense, and Geo Defense Swarm.[/QUOTE]

I almost put PvZ in it's own genre :). I haven't tried the others, I'll keep an eye on them.

[quote name='Corvin']I haven't tried them out but SD is abuzz about two pzizz apps that are usually $10 each that are now free until the end of July. They both average close to 4 stars, so I figured it might be worth passing along:

pzizz energizer

pzizz sleep[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, thank you so much!

I was seriously considering dropping the cash for these apps recently. They work really well!

Everybody should at least try the napping one (energizer).

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Holy crap, thank you so much!

I was seriously considering dropping the cash for these apps recently. They work really well!

Everybody should at least try the napping one (energizer).[/QUOTE]

Can't seem to get the app. Did they end the sale a day early? :(

I downloaded Fastar! For a buck I couldn't go wrong. It's a cheap entertaining game that mimicks the genre very well, and does it with the limited amount of control that the iPhone offers.

My mini review - :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:/:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: (4 bouncy heads outta 5)

Graphics - Fun, flash-like, and cartoony that just fit the theme and general feel of the game. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it never should. An added detail is the bottom of the screen where it pans out a battle-feeed like "X has done Y dmg to You! You deal 46 dmg back." It just builds an undeniable charm that this game establishes by mocking repetitive RPGS of the past. This game earns itself a spot on your homescreen from the get-go with town names, spells to bring along and by the enemies being labeled for exactly what they are, i.e., "Black Square."

There are like inifinty billion modes in addition to the story mode. These aren't like CTF or TDM or something like that. Instead they are variations to the main story mode. I haven't tested them out in full, but the pages avaialble go on for quite a while and focus on specific things such as "Only play against red squares, black, white, etc" These keep things interesting, if that but playing against the same enemy over and over-- I can see why some may say that it gets a bit repetitive. You have to treat these as practice modes for the main story mode--if you do then they're good for going against certain enemies to understand their movements and learn their patterns. Varying up the game by playing different modes or trying a new spell to bring along for the journey all help to make this game's replayability factor enormously high.

The customization is really fun, you can see what top players are sporting on the leaderboards. This is a lot like following someone's replayed level in Super Quick Hook where they retain what hats they wore as shadows when they scored 25,000,000 points It's a neat little feature that adds a feeling of uniqueness to the game in an otherwise copy/pasted forumla of the iPhone app world.

The initial setting of using the tilt to move your character proved to be a little too difficult for me. I didn't like tilting my head and wrists to get him to move. Thankfully there are multiple control options that help alleviate the only cons to this game that I found.

The surprising number of personalities based on the colors of the squares was rather impressive. You almost forget they're just 2 demensional blocks instead of, say, Pokemon with certain characteristics to them. Who knew swinging swords at squares could be this fun? (Isn't that like the tagline for this game, anyway?)

And one last thing -- you will get your butt kicked if you try to take on the harder enemies without the proper upgrades. You will. The growth aspect of the game is rather strong and it makes you keep coming back for more.

In a few words--Buy it!

The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day for Saturday is Underground 3D Rollercoaster Rush (http://itunes.apple.com/app/underground-3d-rollercoaster/id375971770?mt=8).

"Play 40 exciting 3D action-packed rollercoaster tracks with dangerous peaks and earth shattering drops in Classic Mode. Challenge and overcome the new physics based mechanics and game play where balance and position mean everything to survival. Perform wild stunts like somersaults while trying to stick the landing to increase your excitement and achieve record time. Connect to OpeinFeint to compare your highscores with the rest of the world and become a true rollercoaster master!"

Since we're on a 3D theme for the moment, you may want to try LostPixels. It's described as a 3D pixel puzzle game and it's currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/lostpixels/id381324130?mt=8#).

"A fantastic 3D pixel puzzle game!!!
The 2D pixels are lost in a 3D space! Just touch and move them to recreate a whole image.
The game has 2 modes: FreeMode and TimeMode.
FreeMode: No time limit or target, just enjoy yourself.
TimeMode: Clear levels as more as possible in limited time. Challenge yourself!
More than 300 levels are waiting for you."

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Holy crap, thank you so much!

Everybody should at least try the napping one (energizer).[/QUOTE]

I can't get my iPhone to find this app when I search for it . . . it sounds great for my sleep deprived life. :oldman:

Anyone else have any luck?

[quote name='willynateDgreat']I can't get my iPhone to find this app when I search for it . . . it sounds great for my sleep deprived life. :oldman:

Anyone else have any luck?[/QUOTE]

No luck for me either.

[quote name='CONMAN999']@Jamesdad I'd love it if you told me how FASTAR is. Looks interesting[/QUOTE]

Fastar is an ineresting game. Its fairly heavy on action, and light on rpg. You can customize the colors of your character, but any upgrading you do in game only lasts till the end of that mode, which can last anywhere from 2-15 minutes. I highly recommend you read Touch Arcade's review that I posted earlier in the thread if you are interested. I'm not quite as hyped on it as they are though.

I feel the experience is somewhat shallow on the gameplay end (despite there being 24 modes), as you essentially just hammer on the attack button, and use magic when its available. Still, I feel like there is potential for enjoyment to be had, just don't expect a lot of depth. It seems like one of those games thats kind of a slow burn, you have to give it some time.

At the current price of .99 cents, its not bad, but I don't really think it would be worth 2 bucks for most people. If you miss the sale, just wait, I have seen much better (and worse :whistle2:?) games featured on FreeAppADay, and wouldn't be surprised to see this on there at some point. Hopefully the developer will update it frequently.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']I can't get my iPhone to find this app when I search for it . . . it sounds great for my sleep deprived life. :oldman:

Anyone else have any luck?[/QUOTE]
Just found on the Pzizz website blog that their apps have been removed, but they don't know why and have a support call into Apple. Since it happened over the weekend, it sounds like they will be down till Monday. No mention of the special pricing one way or the other.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day for Saturday is Underground 3D Rollercoaster Rush (http://itunes.apple.com/app/underground-3d-rollercoaster/id375971770?mt=8).

[/QUOTE]

I think you got suckered on this one, Dimms :) This is a free lite version of a paid game that's still $2.99.

That said, your other free selections are spot-on

Also, my friend just pointed out to me that Zombie Dice has been released, and is free, with an optional 99c multiplayer IAP. I hadn't heard of it, but apparently it's a fairly well known actual dice game that now has a decent port.

http://appshopper.com/games/zombie-dice

[quote name='Malik112099']Holy shit! Check this out.. This is a 3rd party HTML based app type store for the iphone/ipod touch. This doesn't require jailbreaking and is a pretty cool concept.

http://openappmkt.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tpCqZLAVSk[/QUOTE]

While this is cool, you aren't getting actual applications that install on the phone/pod/pad. Instead it just adds bookmarks that link you to a web application which are opened in safari. So if you are on a iPhone it still uses up your monthly bandwidth any time you open one of these up.:whistle2:|

[quote name='Malik112099']Holy shit! Check this out.. This is a 3rd party HTML based app type store for the iphone/ipod touch. This doesn't require jailbreaking and is a pretty cool concept.

http://openappmkt.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tpCqZLAVSk[/QUOTE]

These are just webbapps. The same type that we had to use the first year or so before the App Store launched. They have been out there for a long time but these guys made a Webapp Store.

Truckers delight is today's featured app for FAAD

795788.png

http://appshopper.com/games/truckers-delight-episode-1

"As seen on MTV2 and on the net with 3 million+ views, TRUCKERS DELIGHT is now more than just the BEST, GRITTIEST, MOST VULGAR, FUNNIEST VIDEO ever on this side of the digital world. It's now a fully playable iPhone app. "

Love the original music video in all its obscene glory. Haven't played the game much.

OpenFeint is doing re-runs of the "best of" for the next week. First up is a repeat of Blood n Guns (http://www.freegameoftheday.com/) for their Free Game of the Day.

"Blood'NGuns is a hardcore dual thumb zombie shooter with a large arsenal of weaponry and power ups to chose from. Deal with up to 80 zombies attacking you on screen at the same time, dynamically generated arenas and 6 survival game play modes will keep you challenged indefinitely. Did we mention lots and lots of blood?"

Scarabeus–Pearl of Nile is an interesting variation on matching puzzlers (NOT a match 3), and it's currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id382167609?mt=8).

"Scarabeus – Pearl of Nile TM is an award winning, bright and creative puzzle game. With more than 40 levels, players need to use logic to get around the turning cycles and the various colored balls to collect four balls of the same color in the scarabs dial."

I have to say, since it was posted a couple days ago, I have been playing Blackout! a lot! It is an incredibly fun match game that becomes progressively harder and seriously makes you want to pull your hair out at points! :D

Thanks to everyone that posts about these freebies (and cheapies) because I would never manage to find half o these games I enjoy, otherwise!

THE NEW JAILBREAK IS OUT!

Go to jailbreakme.com or jailbreakme.modmyi.com on your idevice!

Supports:
iPod 1G on 3.1.2, 3.1.3
iPod 2G on 3.1.2. 3.1.3, 4.0
iPod 3G on 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0
iPad on 3.2, 3.2.1
iPhone 3G on 3.1.2
iPhone 3G on 3.1.3
iPhone 3G on 4.0
iPhone 3G on 4.0.1
iPhone 3G on 3.1.2
iPhone 3G on 3.1.3
iPhone 3G on 4.0
iPhone 3G on 4.0.1
iPhone 4 on 4.0
iPhone 4 on 4.0.1

Has anyone tried the new jailbreak?

Will this cause any issues using iTunes or doing anything I have been doing on a non-jailbroken ipod Touch?

[quote name='JPWasko']Has anyone tried the new jailbreak?

Will this cause any issues using iTunes or doing anything I have been doing on a non-jailbroken ipod Touch?[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, it is the easiest jailbreak ever and nothing negative should occur. If it does, just restore your device in itunes. Make sure you back up before jailbreaking.

Just jailbroke my iPhone 4. I missed having sbsettings!

It seems in some cases the jailbreak is disabling MMS and Facetime but so far it seems my MMS is working fine (workaround is to restore a backup from before the jailbreak). Haven't really done anything with the new features yet. Anybody have any suggestions? Most of the programs don't look worth it, save maybe the WiFi syncing, even if it's ridiculously overpriced.

[quote name='SakBee']Not to go off-topic here but... how does anyone w/ an iPhone 4 like the new jailbreak?[/QUOTE]

Love it! It has already been updated to fix the MMS/Facetime bug. I jailbroke for Lockinfo and it's not perfect yet but it runs so fast. I had a 3G before and it would run everything but it would slow the phone down and prevent me from playing "intense" games. So far the iPhone 4 shows no signs of a slow down.

[quote name='graf1k']It seems in some cases the jailbreak is disabling MMS and Facetime but so far it seems my MMS is working fine (workaround is to restore a backup from before the jailbreak). Haven't really done anything with the new features yet. Anybody have any suggestions? Most of the programs don't look worth it, save maybe the WiFi syncing, even if it's ridiculously overpriced.[/QUOTE]

I agree with eliter1 here. I love it. It's legal and I get added functionality. Personally, I love sbsettings. If you plan on using categories, get categoriessb ($0.99) too to improve it.

@eliter1: I jailbroke my iPhone 4 yesterday. Do I have to download/install anything to get MMs/facetime to be fixed? I haven't tested those 2 things on my phone yet.

Also, I recommend Mecho Wars, which is on sale for free now. Just like an iPhone version of Advance Wars.

EDIT: @eliter1: Nevermind. I found the info.

"JailbreakMe has been updated which has fixed all the problems related to FaceTime and MMS. If you are doing a fresh jailbreak, you will not have any of these issues. Existing users will need to do a “Complete Upgrade” of Cydia followed by a reset of Network Settings. To do this, simply fire up Cydia and let the loading to finish. It will now automatically ask you to update Cydia. Touch on “Complete Upgrade” and reboot the device once it is done. Go to Settings –> General –> Reset –> Reset Network Settings. Reboot the device again. The problem should be fixed now." -Redmond Pie

Talaka, an old school aerial shooter, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/talaka/id382611263?mt=8#).

"A solid classic shooter, which is addictive and enjoyable. A “must have” for all fans of challenging the high score and gaining extra lives. A fast pace game with a good memory management even for low memory devices. Wonderful graphics and cool music are making this an evergreen experience."

SpeedR has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://appshopper.com/games/speedr).

"The ORIGINAL traffic racing game .. many have tried to copy it, but none have come close.

Tired of rush hour traffic? Wish you had a sports car to fly between cars? With SpeedR, you will.

This fast paced traffic speeder game will put you into 7 different cars and see how well you do flying through traffic. It won't be easy though. You'll have to deal with police, semis and construction. If the police catch you or you damage your car too much, it's game over!"

[quote name='graf1k']It seems in some cases the jailbreak is disabling MMS and Facetime but so far it seems my MMS is working fine (workaround is to restore a backup from before the jailbreak). Haven't really done anything with the new features yet. Anybody have any suggestions? Most of the programs don't look worth it, save maybe the WiFi syncing, even if it's ridiculously overpriced.[/QUOTE]

haha! You need to add sources/repositories.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back