Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, might have to jump on Chaos Rings - something tells me you won't be seeing a whole lot of sales on that game, and any other sale isn't going to be for that much less.

[quote name='CONMAN999']@DtotheP No, Sliding Heroes just went free.

So every SE game is on sale. Which ones are worth it at these prices?[/QUOTE]

Good price on Song Summoner, probably the lowest it will go for awhile as it seemed to bounce between $9.99 and $7.99 since release. Everything else is kind of meh

I have a question. I had istunt on my 3G and bought in app add ons but now that I have my iphone 4 it seems I have to buy them again, is there no way to transfer the purchases?

The grandpappy of labyrinth games, Dark Nebula, just released a sequel for a buck. StP loves it. Reportedly has boss battles. Still short though but great fun.

Bonus points for PLAYING JUST FINE when you recalibrate to a real sitting position rather than a hunched over parallel to floor crapfest.

[quote name='eliter1']I have a question. I had istunt on my 3G and bought in app add ons but now that I have my iphone 4 it seems I have to buy them again, is there no way to transfer the purchases?[/QUOTE]

Everything that you redownload in the Apple store has to be "re-bought." Only AFTER you tell it to buy again does it say "Oh wait, you already own it. It's free!"

One of the many indefensibly stupid things Apple hasn't fixed yet while instead choosing to implement the single worst, most crash prone attempt to claim to be "multitasking" I've ever seen in my life.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Everything that you redownload in the Apple store has to be "re-bought." Only AFTER you tell it to buy again does it say "Oh wait, you already own it. It's free!"

One of the many indefensibly stupid things Apple hasn't fixed yet while instead choosing to implement the single worst, most crash prone attempt to claim to be "multitasking" I've ever seen in my life.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I wasn't sure if it also applied to in app purchases. Thanks. Apple need to have a list like the one they have on itunes where it shows everything you have purchased before but on the iphone. MS does something like that where it shows everything you've bought and you can just select it and re-download it again.

They should also have it so you can buy things and queue them for later downloading, like when some app has a super limited fire sale and you have to miss out because it's over 20mb and you're not on wifi.

Yeah 3G unrestrictor blah...

Lots of good discounts from Square Enix due to Chaos rings releasing on ipad, Id for quake con over the weekend, , and free chop chop runner (very mediocre worth free but not much else)

Chop Chop Runner Available today from FAAD. Not that great IMHO, but some might enjoy it.

345760.png

http://appshopper.com/games/chop-chop-runner

Doom: Resurection is 1.99 down from 6.99. Really good price. Prob. won't get any cheaper until the inevitable holiday sale.

567158.png

http://appshopper.com/games/doom-resurrection

Doom Classic Down from 6.99 to 1.99

347946.png

Doom 2 RPG Down from 3.99 to .99

051766.png

http://appshopper.com/games/doom-ii-rpg

Don't feel like posting all the squenix games so here is a link to ALL of them on app shopper.

http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=300186801

Standouts include
Chaos Rings (9.99 down from 12.99)
Final Fantasy 1 or 2 ( 6.99 down from 8.99)
Crtstal Defenders (3.99 down from 6.99)

Alls I got to say, is I have been checking almost daily for a sale on Doom Classic since December. It was $3 then, and I missed the sale. Finally, 9 months later... It's 2 bucks! This was amazing and it totally made my day when I looked at it on appshopper this morning. I'm also in for Doom II RPG at 99 cents and Sliding Heroes at free!! Good times.

Great App a Day is showcasing a waiter game called Spanish Chiringuito (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/spanish-chiringuito/).

"China has its Great Wall, France is proud of its Eiffel Tower, Britons are very punctual due to the Big Ben, and Spain…
in Spain we are very lucky to have chiringuitos.

Have the chance of becoming a waiter for a day and serve the most extravagant customers: a gipsy lady, a policeman, a peasant, a foreign turist…nobody will miss the chance of spending a sunny day having some “tapas”.

Put your memory and patience to the test playing the most funny game in appStore, featuring some music by the Catalan band “RumbaTarumba”."

This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy Chaos Rings, am I getting the iphone and ipad versions with the one purchase or are they separate? I only see one version in iTunes so I assume you'd get both.

[quote name='starkillr']This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy Chaos Rings, am I getting the iphone and ipad versions with the one purchase or are they separate? I only see one version in iTunes so I assume you'd get both.[/QUOTE]

I *believe* it will be billed as a Universal App if the purchased version works on either one.

[quote name='starkillr']This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy Chaos Rings, am I getting the iphone and ipad versions with the one purchase or are they separate? I only see one version in iTunes so I assume you'd get both.[/QUOTE]

There are two versions for this app. If you buy the iphone version, you can still play it on your ipad, but without the updated graphics. Universal apps have a plus sign next to the purchase button. Also, on appshopper, it states when a version is "ipad only".

Given that the iPad version has exclusive content, it's almost guaranteed that they are two different versions. Also, as mentioned, appshopper has the iPad version listed as "for iPad", so that pretty much confirms it's exclusivity.

Sweet. Doom 2 RPG has been in my BargainBin for ages. Glad to finally grab it.

Kinda wish iD would quit mining nostalgia nonsense and make a friggen Orcs and Elves 2 Iphone game.

Then again, asking modern game makers to quit dipping into the nostalgia well is like politely asking 4chan to stop trolling.

Idx86: Never played DOOM 2 RPG, but I loved the shit out of DOOM RPG on non-iPhone handsets. I'd say it took around 5 hours to beat. Not a lot of replay, though, as it pretty RPG'y.

Doom 2 RPG promises three different characters and a few tweaks on the formula but I can't imagine that it's worth dicking through it three times.

Doom RPG 1 and Orcs and Elves were both experiences of considerable length. I don't count hours but they're long enough that it'll take you more than 3-5 play sessions to beat.

Just got an Email from App Shopper

Dark Nebula has gone free most likely to advertise the release of episode 2. This is one of the best labyrinth style games I have played on the iDevice. Very creative level design, everyone should absolutely pick it up for free.

149690.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/dark-nebula-episode-one

""5 out of 5. It’s in a completely different league to anything else that I’ve personally come across on the store."
- 148 Apps

"Dark Nebula is simply one of the best games the AppStore has produced."
- The App Era

"All-in-all, definitely an amazing game. One of the best I’ve played on the device so far..."
- Touch My Apps

"Dark Nebula offers a very fun, action-arcade experience that we loved every second of."
- Touch Arcade"

Flipstones Is todays featured app from open feint's free game of the day. This was just recently updated and was supposedly fairly well improved over previous versions.

345229.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/flipstones

"Flipstones! Meet the Flipstones!

Flipstones is line-drawing puzzle madness that has you racing to build and destroy shapes. Really, it's everything you've ever wanted in a game. Everything we tell you!

Tap a stone and draw a line to its destination to create shapes of different sizes and colors, DESTROY them and take advantage of their unique effects. Some stones fly, some speed up play, some explode, some even sing songs (ok that's a lie) and they are all flippin' awesome!

There are 18 stages and over 80 levels, each one presenting a different stone-flipping-line-drawing challenge. On top of that, each stage contains a unique board to ensure your path to Flipstones greatness is anything but ensured.

Once you've mastered all the levels (or if you’re particularly adventurous) head over to Endless mode and see how your skills compare against the rest of the world with OpenFeint integration."

Have some brain-scramblin' fun with Psychoban, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/psychoban/id378692853?mt=8).

"Psychoban brings you a deeper concept in puzzle gaming, drawing from proven classics such as Sokoban to create an unique and immersive experience!

-Brain-scrambling puzzles:
Psychoban takes you through an entirely new dimension of puzzle-adventure experience, as you must make your way through actual 3D challenges. A non-stop concatenation of challenges, hilarious situations and gorgeous visuals will squeeze you out of any remnants of sanity.

- Insanely seamless interface:
No virtual key-pads! An unique character control system, absolutely natural to the Iphone interface, allows for an easy and hands-on playability. You tell Mental Dude what you want him to do, and he does it!

-Deranged settings and environments:
Make your way through five of the world´s creepiest mental asylums, and become a part of their gruesome, gore-stained history.

- Mad quantities of levels
Fifty levels of concentrated challenge-packed puzzles will keep you hooked-in to the last second!

- Alienating, comedy-driven story
Join the adventure of Mental Dude, his quest for freedom, survival… and a grip to reality.

- Lunacy guaranteed!"

[quote name='Malik112099']It's not a game but Pulse News is one of the best apps I've used.[/QUOTE]

Is it an RSS feeder? It looks nice.

[quote name='Idx86']How long is Doom 2 RPG, and what's the replay value like?[/QUOTE]Doom 2 RPG will last about 5 hours. If you're into replay value, there are three characters to run through the game with, but after playing thru with BJ, I didn't feel the desire to play thru it again with anyone else.

Unlike Wolfenstein RPG, Doom 2 RPG is very forgiving. I only died once in the whole game by stepping into lava.

Free App Calendar is showcasing X Invasion 2 again for those who missed it the last time (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=202).

"Those other flight sim games are fun, but do you find their controls and flight dynamics overly complex? X Invasion 2's arcade style gameplay makes flight simple and intuitive so you can spend more time worrying about the action!

Hostile aliens have invaded San Francisco, and you are mankind's last line of defense. X Invasion 2 redefines the 3D arcade-style flight combat genre with intense gameplay, epic storyline, and intuitive controls!"

A couple of FREE action titles for your collection:

Archangel: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth (http://itunes.apple.com/app/archangel-fate-galactic-commonwealth/id320235635?mt=8).
"Prepare yourself for the first space combat/tactical simulator for the iPhone and iPod touch!

With the UGS Archangel, warp to various sectors of the quadrant to fight off Makuzi warships with phasers and torpedoes. Send damage control crews to various parts of your ship. Divert power to balance the terms of engagement. Coordinate with navigation, tactical, engineering, and communications, as you carry out your orders. It's a battle to the finish, and you're in total control from the captain's chair!

Archangel: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth features intense arcade action, stereo sound effects, dozens of quality voiceover phrases, and an epic orchestral soundtrack. If you're a fan of sci-fi TV shows and movies such as Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, StarGate, and Firefly/Serenity, you'll love the feel of this game!"

Swirl 3D Racing (http://itunes.apple.com/app/swirl-3d-racing/id314650731?mt=8).
"Get ready to fall, bounce and tumble through five challenging worlds, dodging obstacles and picking up stars, power-ups and racing helmets! Beware of infected mushrooms and paint buckets!

Find the lost ice crystal deep down in the glacier slopes or descend through the mystical ruins of the dry well.

Experience the flow as you slide and fall through unlimited number of levels of ever increasing difficulty!

The game features smooth 3D animated action, impacts, special effects, six original soundtracks as well as integrated community features and global hi-scores!"

Touch Racing Nitro -- Ghost Challenge! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/touch-racing-nitro-ghost-challenge/id363548886?mt=8).
"Touch Racing Nitro is a racing game like no other on the iPhone. With 100% touch-control oriented design you will drive, drift, jump, launch nitros and fly over your opponents at the touch of a finger!

We've dropped the virtual D-PAD and buttons and instead your fingers become the gas, brake, wheel and nitro power, as the vehicle reacts to the position and movement of your fingers. Never has a racing game felt so intuitive on a touch screen!"

[quote name='Mike UFC']This looked pretty cool but it's back up to $1.99 already.[/QUOTE]

Sucks. I was planning to pick Psychoban up at lunch, too. Oh well, I've been buying too much lately so I'll pass on the $1.99 price tag.

Love Battle Princess is out. It's... Let me allow youtube to do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMwJ04qIuEY

It's one of those Sexy Poker style games with half nekkid chicks in the background. $2, I bought it because it seemed to capture that smutty but only in visuals tone that Onechanbara and Rumble Roses and all my other favorite games that seem to be designed to be played one-handed worked in.

What surprised me was that it was actually a solid, creative, frantic puzzler. Flowers and skulls bounce around the screen. Touch (drag to aim) to drop a circle around flowers, don't catch skulls or you lose a life. Don't let flowers fall or you lose a life. The third circle with flowers in it will create a combo, making that circle explode into power flowers and pop any skulls that are grazing it (Placing this 3rd circle intelligently is essential.). Manage larger and higher scoring combos to create vortexes that suck flowers in, allowing you to build ever bigger combos. It becomes a frantic rush to try to catch stragglers and pop big combos of flowers to feed your vortex all while dodging the skulls. Good fun.

The girls don't have a lot to them beyond the background images, and they all alternate between deliciously curvy and hideous uncanny valley monsters depending on how much of a mess the game board is. They ALL have awful voices though.

A Lite version is promised soon. I recommend you folks give it a shot.

Come to think of it, Sexy Poker was also a pretty solid 5-card draw poker game too.

One more thing, Chaos Rings. It's $10 and is supposedly THE BIGGEST BESTEST THING EVER. I haven't played a Square Attack-mashing melodramatic grindfest in years. Is this actually good or should I save my $10.

[quote name='RollingSkull']One more thing, Chaos Rings. It's $10 and is supposedly THE BIGGEST BESTEST THING EVER. I haven't played a Square Attack-mashing melodramatic grindfest in years. Is this actually good or should I save my $10.[/QUOTE]
Visually, it's fantastic. Other than that, it's very linear with an interesting, if not mentally taxing, skills system. I bought it at full price on release and I wish I'd waited until it was around $5.

A new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is available, Penalty World Challenge 2010 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/penalty-world-challenge-2010/id377380653?mt=8).

"Do you have what it takes to step up and take a penalty?

World Penalty Challenge lets you experience all the excitement, tension, and in the case of many the disappointment of a real penalty shoot-out!

Lead you country to glory in the greatest tournament of the world. Choose from any of the 32 competing countries and guide them through the group matches, all the way through to the knockout stages."

Jelly Invaders is another Friday freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/jelly-invaders/id353952488?mt=8).

"They are coming! They might be colorful, they might be funny, they might be even tasty! But all they want is to conquer your planet!

It is time to confront the invaders and send them back to the Jelly jars where they belong! Join the resistance, fight against the enemy and become the ultimate Jelly hero! But remember - this minigame is just a foretaste of what's to come! The real fight continues in Jelly Defence where you will lead your forces in a fight requiring both heroism and wisdom!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back