Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to annoy rollingskull further, but I need to say, this whole getting banned bullshit is what firethief likes. It's his whole schtick on every site he's a member of. We've gotten good at dealing with him in this thread, and he's actually become a decent contributor to the thread, occassionally. But yeah, he does best when he doesn't get much attention. That's all I'm saying about the matter.

Back to the apps, has anyone used any of these video editing apps with their 4? A few are on sale from qik and nexvio this weekend for $1 but I'm wondering if they're even worth it.

Earth defender is openfeints free game of the day. Missle command style game, looks fun *edit* tried it out and it seems like a really nice twist on the missle command genre. Worth checking out for free!

290013.png

http://appshopper.com/games/earth-defender

"In the space combat game Earth Defender, you have the chance to put this military motto into practice. Defend the Earth by firing on attacking hordes of aliens and generate apocalyptic chain reactions through targeted bombardments.

You have a wide range of weapons at your disposal to teach your opponent the meaning of fear. But you will reach higher levels only if you perfect your timing. "

The puzzler SmartBalls is currently on sale for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/smartballs/id366840319?mt=8).

"SmartBalls is a puzzle game where you arrange the balls on 6x6 or 9x9 board to put them in the right order (as shown on "original picture").

How to play?
1. Choose the board - 6x6 or 9x9
2. Choose the picture (level).
3. Move the balls horizontally or vertically by sliding the screen to put them into right order.

The game have 12 levels on each board (both 6x6 and 9x9), so at all you have 24 levels."

Another match-3 / Bust-a-Move variant, iNvasions, is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/invasions/id380886096?mt=8).

"iNvasion - the game for everyone: for childs and for their parents! The game helps to develop attention, reaction and mind. If you appreciate games like Bejeweled, Tetris, Lines Removem - you will love iNvasion game!
Game objective is to clear game field from the color vortexes, shooting to 3 or more connected balls to destroy it. The game contains 30 attractive levels, and more levels coming soon."

[quote name='Showstoppa42']The FAAD GOLD App by FreeAppADay.com introduces Galcon Labs as Today's Featured Free App!

179563.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/galcon-labs[/QUOTE]
I imagine this is nearing the end of its free cycle, but just wanted to mention this is one to pick up among all the other free mediocrity if you can still get in on it. A nice simple strategy game that is a nice fit for the iDevice. I bought both, but if you pick this up there isn't much of a reason beyond supporting the developers to snag the original Galcon.

More FAAD freebies now available:
Super Juicy is a match-3 puzzler using bubbles (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-juicy/id328568119?mt=8).
"Super Juicy is non-stop bubble popping fun for the whole family! Earn points by popping groups of three or more matching bubbles. Tap bonus items for more points. Avoid hazards such as spikes and unbreakable bubbles. Use special powers such as bombs and black holes!"

If bubbles aren't your thing, FAAD is also featuring a free version of Cake Maker (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=340) to satisfy your virtual baking needs.

[quote name='DtotheP']
Back to the apps, has anyone used any of these video editing apps with their 4? A few are on sale from qik and nexvio this weekend for $1 but I'm wondering if they're even worth it.[/QUOTE]

ReelDirector is good. Much better that the iMovie app by apple. I don't think reeldirector is on sale but figured I would at least respond to your post with a recommendation.

[quote name='sandaz93']love bust a move[/QUOTE]

Me too! but where was this talked about? Its rather random of you to say and its still 5 bucks!!! if anything you helped me be aware that its on the iphone but still rather random.

[quote name='Billy Jean']Me too! but where was this talked about? Its rather random of you to say and its still 5 bucks!!! if anything you helped me be aware that its on the iphone but still rather random.[/QUOTE]

There's an app called iNvasion for the iphone. It's like bust a move and was mentioned a few posts above yours. I haven't played it, so I can't say how close it is to bust a move. You can see if it's still free though.

Here's the post (copied and pasted from Dimsdale):
Another match-3 / Bust-a-Move variant, iNvasions, is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/invasions/id380886096?mt=8).

"iNvasion - the game for everyone: for childs and for their parents! The game helps to develop attention, reaction and mind. If you appreciate games like Bejeweled, Tetris, Lines Removem - you will love iNvasion game!
Game objective is to clear game field from the color vortexes, shooting to 3 or more connected balls to destroy it. The game contains 30 attractive levels, and more levels coming soon."

[quote name='blue ocarina']I imagine this is nearing the end of its free cycle, but just wanted to mention this is one to pick up among all the other free mediocrity if you can still get in on it. A nice simple strategy game that is a nice fit for the iDevice. I bought both, but if you pick this up there isn't much of a reason beyond supporting the developers to snag the original Galcon.[/QUOTE]

Second this. Galcon is decent fun. Isn't spectacular, but is definitely worth free.

And Galcon Labs pretty much completely replaces original Galcon.

ahh I sometimes overlook some of the mentioned games unless im fairly familiar with them or if alot of people mention how good it is. I ll give it more of a look. Thanks for clearing that up.

The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title is another math-based puzzler called Minim (http://itunes.apple.com/app/minim/id336153168?mt=8).

"Obliterate molecules by combining connected atoms, reducing the subatomic matter to a single particle. Become a minimalist in no time with the newest puzzle-game sensation for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Hours of captivating gameplay guaranteed!

Test your skills against time and reason, all with the touch of a finger, in the all out marginalizing minimization of mathematical methodology! Can you clear all 50 mind-tingling levels?"

The All-in-1 Casual & Puzzle Gamebox gives you 8 games in one app for FREE for a limited time only (http://appshopper.com/games/8-in-1-casual-puzzle-gamebox).

"MINESWEEPER: classic puzzle game. Features: zoom in and out, 3 default difficulty levels, option to set own difficulty level, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

MAHJONG SOLITAIRE: matching game for one player. Features: 12 layouts, hint and undo option, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

WORD SEARCH: classic word search puzzle game. Features: each puzzle is unique, 20000+ words, 3 levels of difficulty, hint option, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

SAMEGAME: simple puzzle game, remove colored balls/bricks from the screen. Features: 3 default difficulty levels, option to set own difficulty level, ball and brick tiles, undo option, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

SOLITAIRE: Classic game known as Klondike or Patience. Features: draw 1 card or 3 cards, standard and Vegas scoring, undo and hint option, auto finish, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

BUBBLES: puzzle-shooter game, it combines the features of puzzle, shooter, strategy and action games. Features: 3 default difficulty levels, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

SHISEN-SHO: puzzle-board game, match similar tiles in pairs. Features: hint and undo option, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music

BOUNCE: Arcade puzzle game known as Jezzball or kBounce. Features: dozens of levels, autosave, OpenFeint leaderboards, iPod music"

[quote name='Dimsdale']The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title is another math-based puzzler called Minim (http://itunes.apple.com/app/minim/id336153168?mt=8).

"Obliterate molecules by combining connected atoms, reducing the subatomic matter to a single particle. Become a minimalist in no time with the newest puzzle-game sensation for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Hours of captivating gameplay guaranteed!

Test your skills against time and reason, all with the touch of a finger, in the all out marginalizing minimization of mathematical methodology! Can you clear all 50 mind-tingling levels?"[/QUOTE]

This game is really, really good and has given me hours of mind-boggling fun. Definitely try this out for free. I paid two bucks for it and don't regret it at all.

FAAD strikes again with the rather violent-sounding Bloody Hell! as its newest featured game (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=343).

"The game objective is to prevent different characters from crossing the iphone screen and entering the opposite door by killing them. The game is unique in the sense that each character can be killed in multiple ways with different weapons. As the name of the game implies, the game involves splashing of blood, ripping bodies and smashing heads. This combined with some appropriate sound effects, makes the game thrilling to play, in addition to heightened level of challenge as the player advances through the game."

@107proof thanks

This new app Gate is free for a limited time. It's less than 2mb but it's pretty damn fun. The closest comparison I can make is that it's almost like a series of rapid fire QTE.

Great App a Day is featuring a puzzler today called HuaRangDao (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/huarongdao/). Not to be confused with the Korean martial arts Hwa Rang Do . . .

"HuaRongDao which is also named Klotski, is a chinese ancient game. Move the biggest piece to the gate below to win. People always try to find the way with least number of steps to win, which is not a easy job."

Some good free apps lately, guys. Thanks!
Picked up HuaRongDao, the Night of the Living Dead movie "app," and that 8-in-1 game thing.

I remember paying $25 for an original Game Boy game called 4-in-1 Fun Pack II -- which had Solitaire, Yahtzee, Cribbage, and Dominoes. I loved it! Pretty awesome to be able to get double the games for free nowadays.

That Harry potter spells app is free now for a limited time. I'm ashamed to have actually bought this, but My brother and I were bored, and a magic duel seemed like it would be fun... at the time.

Dodonpachi Resurection was just given a release date, and price announcement for all you espgaluda 2 fans. The game is coming out on August 26th with a special introductory price of 4.99. After the weekend it will go up to 8.99 like espgaluda. Heres hoping espgaluda goes on sale, I want to buy it, but don't want to pay 9 bucks if it is going to go on sale. heres the link from TouchArcade

http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/23/dodonpachi-resurrection-pricing-and-release-date-revealed/

[quote name='jamesesdad']Dodonpachi Resurection was just given a release date, and price announcement for all you espgaluda 2 fans. The game is coming out on August 26th with a special introductory price of 4.99. After the weekend it will go up to 8.99 like espgaluda. Heres hoping espgaluda goes on sale, I want to buy it, but don't want to pay 9 bucks if it is going to go on sale. heres the link from TouchArcade

http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/23/dodonpachi-resurrection-pricing-and-release-date-revealed/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I was waiting/thinking the exact same thing. Hoping both go on sale for the release and I'll get both.

[quote name='allyourblood']One of my favorite "classics". Weird that it comes wrapped in an app, but the movie of course plays just like any other video file.

Thanks very much for posting it.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, you can also download the movie for free as an MPEG4 file from archive.org, which it should be possible to upload to the iPhone or iPod through iTunes:

http://www.archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead
http://www.archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead_ipod

This "app" is nothing more than someone taking a movie that's in the public domain and exploiting it (yeah, it's free today, but they normally charge 99 cents for it). Hell, they probably downloaded their video from archive.org themselves.

There are lots of other great public domain movies on archive.org as well -- if you haven't ever checked it out, you should.

I knew it was public domain already, but I didn't realize I could download it in MPEG4. Thanks for the tip!

On a related note, I've downloaded several excellent public domain books for use in iBooks. Enough to keep me reading for a long time.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Dodonpachi Resurection was just given a release date, and price announcement for all you espgaluda 2 fans. The game is coming out on August 26th with a special introductory price of 4.99. After the weekend it will go up to 8.99 like espgaluda. Heres hoping espgaluda goes on sale, I want to buy it, but don't want to pay 9 bucks if it is going to go on sale. heres the link from TouchArcade

http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/23/dodonpachi-resurrection-pricing-and-release-date-revealed/[/QUOTE]

I was totally ready to ante up $10 for ddpr. At $5 it's practically a steal! Can't wait!

Decided to take a chance on "Reiner Knizia's Samurai", never having played any of his games before, but having heard they were good. The solid online play sold me on it. That and iTunes reviewers mentioning Carcassonne.

The next purchase will be Dodonpachi Resurection. Definitely taking advantage of the intro price on that.

^Great price and good reviews, but NHL 2K11 is really sketchy on its compatibility. On its iTunes store requirements, it says it's compatible with everything; but in the description, it says it won't work with first-gen iPhone, 3G, or iPod Touch. What about 3Gs? And why the discrepancy?

I may just not buy it out of annoyance with 2K for being such dumb-asses about the whole thing. I imagine people are buying this for non-compatible devices and getting screwed.

And before anyone mentions it, I know people could just get the Lite version first to see if it works on their device.

[quote name='crunchewy']The next purchase will be Dodonpachi Resurection. Definitely taking advantage of the intro price on that.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I solemnly vow not to let another stellar bullet hell title escape me with its intro-only pricing (yeah, I'm looking at you Espgaluda).

The retro shooter Nunix is FREE once again (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nunix/id322127132?mt=8).

"Test your skills in this intense shoot-em-up by tearing through wave after wave of alien ships with your trusty fighter "Nunix".

* Wide variety of enemies with different attacks and weaknesses.
* Charge shot attack and options to provide extra firepower (or plant them by touching the screen)
* Boss fights that will keep you tapping and sliding frantically to stay alive.
* Players are rewarded with increased points by performing combos.
* Online leaderboard to compare your skills globally.
* Xbox live style achievements.
* Online chatrooms to talk to other players and game developers.

For fans of old school shooters/shmups such as galaga, galaxian, gradius, space invaders, etc."

I just bought Daredevil Dave 2 days ago. that's a funny game

Usually if you are not purchasing your gucci outlet bag from a high end retail online store you are purchasing a Gucci fake product. Whether you are buying in gucci handbags on sale, or out of a trunk in NY the location should help you spot a fake Gucci. Also, if it is made anywhere other than Italy by hand it back to the peddler. Authentic gucci bags are handmade only in Italy.

This may have been posted a while back (I've only visited this thread for about a month now), but for folks who spent time in the arcades in the 80's, the laser disk game Cobra Command has been 99 cents for a while now (I just discovered it in the app store yesterday).

http://appshopper.com/games/cobra-command

It is a fantastic recreation of the original (I was suddenly transported back 25 years...amazing), and for an on rails shooter, it's aged really well. Some people have complained about the controls, but it works great for me with the accelerometer turned on (not so great turned off). There's a free version (cobra command free) to see if it's your cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back