Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']Oregon Trail is $.99 right now.

Hurry.[/QUOTE]

If you ever played the old versions of this game and enjoyed it, you owe it to yourself to buy this. It's both good for nostalgia, while still being an impressive update to modern gaming standards.

Apple iPod nano 16 GB Black (5th Generation)-138.99
Apple iPod nano 8 GB Blue (5th Generation)-119.99
Apple iPod touch 32 GB (3rd Generation)-240.99
Apple iPod touch 8 GB (2nd Generation)-154.99

Amazon Warehouse Deals. Not the Greatest Deals but just some good information

Alphabetic

304923.png

If you don't have this yet, it is worth picking up for free.

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Alphabetic is Free for TODAY only. Remember to download OpenFeint’s Game Spotlight App to get the Free Game of the Day every day!

http://appshopper.com/games/alphabetic

^ thanks for the info on Alphabetic. Looks sweet.

A great-looking 3D shmup, Ikarus-X, has been made to look better on iPhone 4 thanks to today's update.
To commemorate that, they also lowered the price. It's now just $0.99, down from $2.99.

http://appshopper.com/games/icarus-x

I have yet to play it, but it looked too good to pass up. Besides, I've been on a shmup kick lately.

[quote name='sandaz93']Apple iPod nano 16 GB Black (5th Generation)-138.99
Apple iPod nano 8 GB Blue (5th Generation)-119.99
Apple iPod touch 32 GB (3rd Generation)-240.99
Apple iPod touch 8 GB (2nd Generation)-154.99

Amazon Warehouse Deals. Not the Greatest Deals but just some good information[/QUOTE]
I just wish they would announce the Touch 4G already.

The Crystals of Atlantis Deluxe has dropped to FREE until August 21 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-crystals-atlantis-deluxe/id358284672?mt=8). I picked up the lite version a while back and will definitely be downloading this complete game.

"The Crystals of Atlantis – a match-three game with vivid graphics, unique gameplay and a compelling adventure back-story. Take on the role of a young, intrepid archaeologist working against the clock in a desperate bid to find four crystals to solve the mystery of Atlantis."

Try to get out in Antrim Escape Full, the new featured game from FAAD (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=335).
"Antrim Escape is a room escape game. The objective of the game is to find, combine and use designated items to solve puzzles and eventually find the exit of the room. In order to succeed the game, you have to comprehend on the functionality of iphone (multi-touch, accelerometer…etc). With its realistic graphics, enticing storyline, intellect puzzles, and intuitive controls, it is a brand new experience to your previously played room escape games! The game will take you days or even weeks to solve the puzzles."

FAAD also has Game Kit (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=334) and the lite version of Fling (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=336) as new titles.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I just wish they would announce the Touch 4G already.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I bought a 32gb Touch on Amazon in July, but sent it back because of the touch rumors. I thought wth i can wait 2 months...longest 2 months of my life. Kinda good though...been downloading free apps ever since July, except the $25 itunes card i bought.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new RPG to play on my iTouch. Any suggestions?

Is there any sort of Diablo-esque loot-fest RPG on the app-store? I almost bit on Dungeon Hunter, but after reading that it was short enough to beat in one sitting, I decided against it (I love long RPGs). Also, I'm not a big fan of JRPGs. I like Western RPGs a lot more. I bought Zenonia 2, and...Meh. I didn't really like it all that much. Puzzle Quest, though, I loved.

Any suggestions for what I should pick up?

angry birds ( 1.99, i believe) freaking hilarious killing birds
alphabetic (free)
monster dash, awesome killing and running at fast speed and 2-d side scrolling (1.99, i believe)
i got pinball hd (1.99, i believe), if you love pinball then grab it, easy to play, and looks stunning

sorry, but those are the prices i got them for a while ago. cant remember. but there all awesome games. check out slidetoplay.com they have great reviews on the games. check the first post of this thread also. good luck and have fun.

[quote name='PlatinumIce']Hey guys, I'm looking for a new RPG to play on my iTouch. Any suggestions?

Is there any sort of Diablo-esque loot-fest RPG on the app-store? I almost bit on Dungeon Hunter, but after reading that it was short enough to beat in one sitting, I decided against it (I love long RPGs). Also, I'm not a big fan of JRPGs. I like Western RPGs a lot more. I bought Zenonia 2, and...Meh. I didn't really like it all that much. Puzzle Quest, though, I loved.

Any suggestions for what I should pick up?[/QUOTE]

Try Underworlds ... currently on sale for .99 Also has a lite version, so you can try before you buy.

Not the best game, but I think it fits what you're looking for, more so than most other apps because, as you've probably noticed, the iphone is dominated by jRPGS and has very few real RPGs

Ravensword might also be worth a look, but it doesn't have much depth and at $3.99, it's been cheaper in the past. Definitely better graphics than Underworlds though.

Others that I haven't played but look interesting - Solomon's Keep, Xenome Ep. 1 (looks like Fallout)

Oh ... and Sword and Poker ... it's a card game but it has an RPG vibe and you level up weapons and skills.

Oregon trail isn't lame. It is very much worth the money.

Too many people here just miss out on shit because it might be a dollar cheaper, someday. Worst case scenario, the dev gets a dollar more. You give waitresses more cash than most of these apps cost and they don't even make the food. Maybe I'm just more of a gamer than a cheap ass. I'm not cheap, I'm poor! Haha

[quote name='DtotheP']Oregon trail isn't lame. It is very much worth the money.

Too many people here just miss out on shit because it might be a dollar cheaper, someday. Worst case scenario, the dev gets a dollar more. You give waitresses more cash than most of these apps cost and they don't even make the food. Maybe I'm just more of a gamer than a cheap ass. I'm not cheap, I'm poor! Haha[/QUOTE]

Biggest problem with Oregon trail is that it's too easy ... they dumbed it down and added minigames. It seems awesome at first, until you realize they took out all the strategy and challenge. I played through it once and haven't touched it again because it just seemed really really easy to beat with everyone alive at the end. For .99 cents it's worth picking up though, if only for the production values and the fact it is entertaining the first time through. As a game I'd come back to .. not so much and I wouldn't pay over .99 when there's better games on the market.

Dungeon Hunter didn't seem that short to me. It took me a few days to play through as a warrior off and on. Plus you have 3 classes to play through as. On top of that the sequel Dungeon Hunter II is supposedly hitting in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I may have to nab Dungeon Hunter next time it goes on sale, if it ever does, and I'll be getting the sequel (if it exists) for sure.

Also, I apparently do have Underworlds. I think I got it for free one day and never played the game. A great RPG has been rotting on my device for months now and I never knew it. ._.

The puzzler Hexius is FREE through the weekend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hexius/id372599903?mt=8#).

"Hexius is a fast-paced, unique and addictive action-puzzler, with 3 fun game modes, global/friends scores, weekly score challenges, and achievements."

-------------------------------
★TouchReviews.net - 5/5
★AppSmile.com - 4.5/5
★MobileTechReview.com - 5/5
★AppAddict.net - 4/5
★MacCreate.com - 4.5/5
★AppShouter.com - "If you’re a fan of Puzzle games ... you should definitely pick up Hexius"
★TheAppEra.com - "Hexius is a new game, and it is very good at what it does – a simple, casual game that works perfectly"

The 15-in-1 multi-title All-in-1-GameMeMore has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/all-in-1-gamememore/id381280118?mt=8).

FetchUp is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fetchup/id358192416?mt=8#).
"An alien stranded on a foreign planet needs bio fuel to power his spaceship. Luckily there is no shortage of fruit on this planet. So it will collect as much fruit as humanly... uhh... possible.

FetchUp is a fruit catch game with great powerups and a rewarding multiplier system which keeps you coming back for more."

Cube Frenzy is also currently FREE for the taking (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cube-frenzy/id375658081?mt=8).
"Cube Frenzy, a unique and interesting game children, toddlers, even adults will enjoy. It has features such as moving, playing, turning and spinning cubes around. It has a unique sense of color and textures."

[quote name='Showstoppa42']Gamevil's "Soccer RPG" Soccer Superstars is on sale from $4.99 to $0.99 to celebrate the opening day of the European leagues.

457065.png

http://www.appshopper.com/games/soccer-superstars

I really enjoyed their Baseball Superstars game, and have been looking forward to trying this one.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to save you the trouble. Soccer Superstars isn't worth it. The reason why BS2010 worked was because you didn't control the players' movement, in SS you will control one person and you'll see how incredibly unwieldy the character is. I ended up playing it with it's automatic mode where all I would do is shoot and pass but it simply isn't any fun. It's a shame really, given that the RPG mechanics have gotten quite a bit more refined compared to BS2010.

Apparently Dungeon Hunter is really long. Could someone just spoil how it ends for me? I don't think I can take that much mindless tapping.

Why do I keep trying this bastardized glorified screen saver of a genre?

[quote name='powersurge']Dungeon Hunter didn't seem that short to me. It took me a few days to play through as a warrior off and on. Plus you have 3 classes to play through as. On top of that the sequel Dungeon Hunter II is supposedly hitting in the next couple of months.[/QUOTE]

Great game. Got the HD for $1 and was very surprised by the length and variety.

[quote name='etcrane']Biggest problem with Oregon trail is that it's too easy ... they dumbed it down and added minigames. It seems awesome at first, until you realize they took out all the strategy and challenge. I played through it once and haven't touched it again because it just seemed really really easy to beat with everyone alive at the end. For .99 cents it's worth picking up though, if only for the production values and the fact it is entertaining the first time through. As a game I'd come back to .. not so much and I wouldn't pay over .99 when there's better games on the market.[/QUOTE]

Agree it is too easy, but with 2 kids that can download and play it also the $1 price was ok.

Meh, I played a lot of the old Oregon Trail and I don't remember there being a significant amount of strategy to it. Brought a balance of stuff and just hoped you would survive against all the awful crap the game threw at you.

The original Oregon Trail was about one thing to me: Naming everyone after my friends, then feeding them as little as possible and go balls out until they're all dead or I make it.

[quote name='tenchim86']Redeemed it. Thanks! Looks like a good game.[/QUOTE]

I was going to redeem it, but then realized I didn't actually know how to. Lol. At least I know now for next time.

[quote name='mcdaking84']lol Ft is banned again[/QUOTE]

I can't even begin to imagine what he did to get banned this time.....

[quote name='Two Headed Boy']The original Oregon Trail was about one thing to me: Naming everyone after my friends, then feeding them as little as possible and go balls out until they're all dead or I make it.[/QUOTE]

wow that takes me back. My friend and I used to do the same thing, naming all the people after our friends, and letting them die of dissentary 1 by 1.

I'm sure he'll end up back here, pretty quick, under an alternate account.

Monster Dash has been WELL worth the dollar I spent on it! :D

And, for some reason, I have found Nom to be incredibly fun, and difficult. Almost a drop version of Angry Birds, I suppose!

So, thanks to all who post these amazing deals!

[quote name='Jodou']Haha, almost feel bad for him. Almost.[/QUOTE]

Not even a drop of sorry for him. Knowing that I won't have to browse past his inane posts for the time being is a wonderful feeling.

Let's just rename this thread FIRE THIEF GENERAL and be done with it. TALK ABOUT HIM MORE ALL DAY PLEASE I JUST CANT GET ENOUGH POSTS OF PEOPLE GROUSING ABOUT HIM.

Monster Dash. Man, I hate Canabalt style games but that game actually won me over. Especially for $1.

The full version of Stone Wars is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/stone-wars/id335019557?mt=8).

"Stone Wars is a turned-based strategy game with a twist. It offers a unique gaming experience that combines strategy, platform elements and puzzle solving all-in-one.

Features:
- Many different game modes to suit everyone.
- Arcade mode: turn-based missions with challenging objectives.
- vs Mode (Internet): play with people over the Internet.
- vs Mode (WIFI/Bluetooth): play with your friend over WIFI network or Bluetooth.
- vs Mode (1P vs CPU): have fun with an computer controlled team.
- vs Mode (1P vs 2P): play with your friends on the same device.
- Training mode: physics puzzles with 5 different weapons. Each weapon has its set of puzzle levels.
- Realistic physics (powered by Box2D).
- 3D pre-rendered fluid character animations.
- Beautiful original soundtracks."

The 3-D Tetris game, Tetra 3D, is also available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tetra3d-a-3d-game/id383313706?mt=8).

"Tetra3D , is a 3 Dimentional fun game that utilizes touch to build layers. Rotates the playing pieces horizontally and vertically and get your 3-dimensional senses working on overdrive

Salient Features Includes:
1. Rotate and view the plane from all dimensions
2. 9 rotations for each individual piece
3. Leadersboards"

The oft-free shooter Nanoids has once again dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nanoids/id315835524?mt=8).

"Nanoids is a fast-paced action-packed shooter that is sure to satisfy even the most hardcore of gamers. You have been tasked with eliminating the Nanoid threat and saving the lives of millions on your home world Petra, in your galaxy, and beyond.

Multiple control methods: Touch and go, right handed joypad, and left handed joypad. All control methods include the ability to drag onscreen items such as power-ups, save points, and coins.

Use collectable coins to upgrade your ship and weapons via the game's iShop."

The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is Crazy Parachute (http://itunes.apple.com/app/crazy-parachute/id377390187?mt=8).

"Crazy parachute is so simple and funny that gives you ease and breeze as you race down from the sky. All you must do is jump out of the airplane and reach the ground safely before anyone else makes it.

Features:
- Various kinds of obstacles (balloons, birds, planes) and they are all cute
- 8 kinds of helpful items can be collected for more awesome performance
- The higher level you reach the higher score you get
- New cast of cute characters as well as surrounding elements throughout the game
- Local and global leader board"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back