Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Kush - do you have two OF names? I seem to have CanolliCrasher and Kush. Or is that a different Kush?[/QUOTE]
That would be a different Kush as I was not quick enough/did not have a Touch soon enough to grab that name first... it's quite the popular name. Just CannoliCrasher for OF.

I want to thank everyone who has participating in posting OF, +, and WWF names. I know this thread is for deals, but I feel like we have a pretty decent little community of users in this thread, which is part of the reason I keep posting here (I actually haven't really been keeping track of any other threads on cag but this one). So hopefully this can keep everyone a little closer, maybe even for occasionally organizing some games and whatnot.

In deal related news the Wolfram Alpha app is on sale for .99 cents till september 12

989259.png

WolframAlpha

Wolfram|Alpha--Get answers. Access expert knowledge. Wherever you are. Whenever you need it.

Find out how much vitamin C is in a bowl of ice cream. Learn what European country has the fourth largest population of children. Compute solutions to difficult trig and calculus problems. Balance complex chemical equations. Discover what is overhead as you gaze up at the stars. Finally crack that crossword puzzle.

p.s thanks to whoever it was that told me you just need to highlight text and hit insert link to make said text into a hyperlink....

In case any of you are looking for iPod/iPhone accessories, I have a few for sale. PM me for more details.

- Griffin PowerDock 2 (lets you charge two iPod/iPhone devices at the same time)
- Monster brand headphone splitter (connect two headphones to one jack)
- Bruton Solo 3400mAH Portable Charger (with ends for iPod, iPhone, and more)
- Misc headphones, earbuds, etc

As soon as I get my hands on the new iPod Touch, I'll have a 16GB Gen1 available for sale. The Apple rep told me that will most likely be tomorrow.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Slightly off topic as far as games goes, but is anyone getting the newest iPod touches that released this week?[/QUOTE]

I am getting the new iTouch tommorrow, I went to the Apple store today because I thought it got released today but it gets released tomorrow lol. SO I will have it the 8th :D

[quote name='DtotheP']@sandaz93

Stanza works very well plus it supports document sharing in iTunes so you can load basically anything into it.[/QUOTE]
I find maneuvering most PDFs kinda cumbersome with my iTouch, but I love Stanza for reading ePubs. I've read quite a few novels on my Touch and its really handy to have a digital version for those times when you can't lug a physical book around.

What the . . .My WWF keeps crashing whenever I attempt to play. I get an "updating" message when I first open the app, then it just exits as soon as I try to play. Anyone else have this experience? It was working fine last week and now it just mocks me. I could try deleting and re-installing the app but I really don't know what the problem is.

The Wolfram Alpha app. Argh! You're paying a dollar to query their friggen free web site! AAARRRRGH!

Not that WA isn't amazing and totally worth money but the principle of the thing! AUGH!

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I am getting the new iTouch tommorrow, I went to the Apple store today because I thought it got released today but it gets released tomorrow lol. SO I will have it the 8th :D[/QUOTE]

Haha I called today to make sure it wasn't today because I thought it was tomorrow. She said, "probably tomorrow. You can call back to make sure."

I'll just be there at 10 am to make sure :D

I have a $160 Best Buy gift card that I plan to use on my new iPod, but they have no idea when they'll get them. In-store pickup says I can pick it up September 28th, so that would suck if they won't get any until then.

[quote name='Two Headed Boy']I have a $160 Best Buy gift card that I plan to use on my new iPod, but they have no idea when they'll get them. In-store pickup says I can pick it up September 28th, so that would suck if they won't get any until then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they have no idea. I asked someone there a couple days ago and he said, "We'll get them whenever Apple gets off their aa...round to sending them to us. When they get there, they get there."

I loved how he caught himself and changed to "around" ha

[quote name='DtotheP']@sandaz93

Stanza works very well plus it supports document sharing in iTunes so you can load basically anything into it.[/QUOTE]

Thank You!

[quote name='RollingSkull']The Wolfram Alpha app. Argh! You're paying a dollar to query their friggen free web site! AAARRRRGH!

Not that WA isn't amazing and totally worth money but the principle of the thing! AUGH![/QUOTE]

I would disagree for a few reasons:

1. It does a better job of fitting the information on the iPhone screen than the browser version does. It's a minor difference, but it does make it more usable. Also, it allows independent scrolling and resizing of particular segments of the screen where applicable (such as graphs which are wider than the screen), rather than having to scroll and resize the whole thing like you have to do in the browser version.

2. The extended keyboard makes it easy to type symbols (mathematical, statistical, etc.) that are not supported by the regular iPhone keyboard. Honestly, I have no idea how you would go about tying in complicated equations with the browser version on the iPhone (then again, I haven't tried, that's not what I've used it for), but with the app it looks like it would be fairly easy.

3. It's a freakin' dollar. If you use their site, throwing them a dollar in appreciation really isn't that big a deal.

Now, the fact that they tried to charge $49.99 for it for most of the first five months it was out is just hilarious. I feel sorry for anyone who paid that (wait, actually, I'm laughing at anyone who paid that -- that's about the same, right?). But apparently they've wised up on that, since it's only been $0.99 or $1.99 since the beginning of April. I don't think $0.99 (or even $1.99) is unfair.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Super KO Boxing 2 is the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=382). Also being shown is Tap Zoo (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=383).[/QUOTE]

I initially was really psyched about the game, but found it really finicky in the control department and ended up deleting it (also not the first time this has gone free). Any one else notice the complete lack of Super K.O boxing 1 on the app store?

Great App a Day is featuring Ronaldo – Tropical Island for its FREE game today (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/ronaldo-tropical-island/).
"You have to blast balls out of a cannon and hit Ronaldo to score points and keep them up!

The aim of the game is to keep Ronaldo in the air for as many bounces as possible by shooting new balls into it."

Free App Calendar has Farm Break for its latest freebie (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=360).
"Assist the three ex-con sheep Knuckles, Big Jim, and Sally escape from Farmer Brown's farm to freedom! Navigate your way through 25 obstacle-ridden levels in this hilarious and witty puzzler. Jump over walls, dodge lasers, bounce on tires, and avoid "The Brush" as you weave your way out of the farm!

But wait.. there's more! If you think Farmer Brown was the last of the sheeps' worries, *bzzzzzt* wrong! Escape from The Farm to find out what awaits Sally, Knuckles, and Big Jim in Chapter 2 - Alien Abduction! Sheep on an alien planet! Now that's what we're talking about!"

For all you guitarists out there, the Reverse Chord Finder for Guitar has permanently dropped to FREE; very cool (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reverse-chord-finder-for-guitar/id333223298?mt=8). However, they've essentially upgraded the program and released a "pro" version which costs $4 (which is less cool). Might be worth a download for free, though. A reverse chord finder is handy for inputting a note or two and finding out which chords are compatible.

EDIT: There's also a free version for pianists (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reverse-chord-finder-for-piano/id327459595?mt=8).

A "Mario-inspired platformer," Robo Rush is currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/robo-rush/id348676806?mt=8).

"your maker, callous and insensitive to the spirit of the machine, has betrayed you, innocent robot. frustrated by the failure of his experiments, he seeks to destroy you and your brethren.

now it is time to make a stand, and fight back against tyranny! jump, run, and pound through the blocks of bigotry which stand in your way, and deliver swift justice to those evil creatures that would impede you!

★★★★★

✓ fantastic artwork that captures the atmosphere of the machine world
✓ sinister forces waiting to assail you with an array of deadly attacks
✓ a smorgasbord of power-ups & bonuses
✓ a rousing musical score sure to energize your mechanical innards
✓ realistic sound effects that let you feel the clank and clatter of every bash and wallop"

I kind of hate it when companies drop a full app to free, only to release a "pro" version... essentially making the original full app a demo. Though I don't know if anything will ever compare to what the Astro Ranch guys did... fucking ridiculous.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, Robo Rush has dropped to FREE and looks potentially cool, though not reviewed particularly well.

"a mario™ inspired platformer...

★★★★★

your maker, callous and insensitive to the spirit of the machine, has betrayed you, innocent robot. frustrated by the failure of his experiments, he seeks to destroy you and your brethren.

now it is time to make a stand, and fight back against tyranny! jump, run, and pound through the blocks of bigotry which stand in your way, and deliver swift justice to those evil creatures that would impede you!

★★★★★

✓ realistic sound effects that let you feel the clank and clatter of every bash and wallop"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just Like Sheep is also FREE... but it looks like it could be just like crap. See what I did there?

And here is Engadget's review of the new iPod Touch, which is nice if only to see an example of the video recording and some sample still images. I think the still images are just fine... but I'm also a photographer, so if I wanted high quality images... I'd use a high quality camera and not an mp3 player/phone/whatnot. The video aspect was always more important than the still image aspect.

[quote name='Kush']
Also, Robo Rush has dropped to FREE and looks potentially cool, though not reviewed particularly well.

"a mario™ inspired platformer...

★★★★★

your maker, callous and insensitive to the spirit of the machine, has betrayed you, innocent robot. frustrated by the failure of his experiments, he seeks to destroy you and your brethren.

★★★★★

[/QUOTE]

I saw that Robo Rush price drop and I was all excited. Until I noticed that the publisher is Triniti. Yep, already have the game as part of the All-in-1 Gamebox.

At first I read that as Rolando and got excited. Buying my iPhone late next month and have been jumping on these deals ahead of time.

[quote name='jamesesdad']I initially was really psyched about the game, but found it really finicky in the control department and ended up deleting it (also not the first time this has gone free).[/QUOTE]

I agree...same thing with me. I wanted to really Super KO Boxing, and was completely underwhelmed, ended up deleting it.

Speaking of games, FastBall 2 is the next OpenFeint Free Game of the Day feature (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fastball-2/id376575858?mt=8).

"FastBall is back and is faster, fun and addictive than ever...

In FastBall, you control a rolling ball. In his way, there are many obstacles and his only ability is to jump. This is where he needs you, you'll make him jump by tapping the screen.

With this simple mechanic, FastBall 2 contains 60 action packed levels. Through the levels, you'll need a good timing, pure attention as well as decisions on which path to follow to reach the level end."

[quote name='Dimsdale']iOS 4.1 is live and ready for downloading. GameCenter anyone?[/QUOTE]

Where and how? Apple's website still says "Coming soon"

[quote name='Cimpy101']At first I read that as Rolando and got excited. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, something tells me this could have something to do with why this particular name was chosen...

FAAD will be featuring Inkstrumental as one of its next freebies (http://itunes.apple.com/app/inkstrumental/id370360777?mt=8).

"Inkstrumental™ is the Global Hit Sensation! 'Make and Share' your mental music video masterpiece with your friends and the world on YouTube.

Choose a unique illustrated scene.

Choose from 31 characters especially created by Jon Burgerman.

Tap each character to record a mad musical sound and combine them to make totally insane music.

Record your own bizarre and unique sounds using the special recordable character.

Send your music video masterpiece straight to YouTube from your iPhone and share your music VIDEO with the rest of the world.

Become part of the Inkstrumental™ phenomena and become world famous!"

Didn't they already release 4.1?

Haven't updated past 4.1 because I want to be able to use jailbreakme.com if I ever feel like it and I know for a fact those incompetent morons at Apple will never actually get around to adding features the Iphone OS needs. Itunes is still absolute trash, why would they bother writing proper Iphone OS nonsense if, 10 iterations in, they still can't make a non-shit media center.

[quote name='Dimsdale']iOS 4.1 is live and ready for downloading. GameCenter anyone?[/QUOTE]

My ipod is currently hacked, running 4.0.1. Are there even any other games besides angry birds that actually support game center? As far as I could tell there didn't seem to be any other real reason to upgrade right now for myself. I wonder if devs will keep using open feint, or if everyone will switch to game center. Seems like the market is going to be very fragmented for at least the next 4-6 months while all the developers work to implement game center properly. I feel like its going to be akin to retina display support, in a year or two all games will have it, but until then its just going to kind of fragment the market (especially since older devices can't even use it).

I hope Kush existed in Game Center for a while because I wasn't able to update until 4PM CST because of Apple bullpoop not letting me update at all, while I tried from 12PM - 2PM CST. Now... I am MKush. I figured that "MKush" is much easier to spell (nice and short) and makes sense since my first name is Marc and "Kush" is a nickname based off my last name... Yay for boring explanations. Double Yay for owning no Game Center games! And...

Not a game, but Pokédex is currently FREE and looks to be good for all those Pokémon fans out there (I is one). No need for a copy & paste description... the name says it all.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Didn't they already release 4.1?

Haven't updated past 4.1 because I want to be able to use jailbreakme.com if I ever feel like it and I know for a fact those incompetent morons at Apple will never actually get around to adding features the Iphone OS needs. Itunes is still absolute trash, why would they bother writing proper Iphone OS nonsense if, 10 iterations in, they still can't make a non-shit media center.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, itunes didn't always suck so bad (and still is quite functional running on a mac). Its when they started pilling on all these features like stores, media sync, video player, and crap like that, which turned it into the piece of bloatware it is today. Unfortunately I really haven't been able to find an application that has the organizational layout that allows me to browse over a month and a half of music with as much ease. Itunes on windows is atrociously slow to start, but it does what I need it to.

As for apple not adding features that you actually need on the phone, they do that all the time... folders/wallpaper, cut and paste, mms, limited multitasking, game center? these are all usefull features that have been added after the fact. If you have so many issues with apple products as a whole, then why do you keep supporting them? Don't buy an iphone/ipod, stop buying apps and music on itunes, and stop using itunes. As consumers we vote with our dollar, so go vote for some one else. See how the awesome the zune market place is, and how well windows media player works for playing and organizing music, or buy an android phone and see how great their desktop client works, oh wait there isn't one..... Well what about updates to android???? Well you get them whenever your phone manufacturer decides its ready to push them to your phone. While apple is far from a perfect company, quite frankly, the competition makes them seem like the most attractive option to me.

On another note, you seem very angry and critical in general, why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms. Pac-Man has an update today that says it adds Game Center support. Can't try it as I'm stuck on 4.0.1 until we get a 4.1 jailbreak.

Also, thanks for the heads up on that Pokedex app - my 7 and 9 year old will say thanks!

Updated iPhone 4 w/new iOS & Game Center. We should have a thread for this but I am BREVITY on there if you want to friend me up. I dl more games than I do music these days!

My gamecenter name is CONMAN999, add me if you want. I added you Kush and Brevity.

Lol @ your status "I'd rather have a Dame Center."

[quote name='BREVITY']Updated iPhone 4 w/new iOS & Game Center. We should have a thread for this but I am BREVITY on there if you want to friend me up. I dl more games than I do music these days![/QUOTE]

just added you :D

BTW if anyone wants to ADD me to as a friend on GAMECENTER my name is the same as my CAG username

It would be nice to have a little spoiler in the first post with a list of usernames for GC and/or OF and Plus+ ...only GC could get me to play Ms. Pac-Man again.

[quote name='BREVITY']Asked Cheapy to see if John can add our Game Center stuff to our profiles like the PSN and XBL stuff. Add U guys too.[/QUOTE]

ohh speaking of Cheapy he tweeted that everyone can add him at the username "CheapyD"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back