Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit.

I just bought Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Mirror's Edge, Pac-Man C.E., Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, Geo. Wars, Civ. Rev., and Osmos.

I stopped myself from buying anymore; considered MGT, but I've heard it was barely worth it when it was even $0.99, so I'll hold off.

Edit: I lied, just bought Assassin's Creed II Discovery as well.

CAG´s, help a fellow CAG here. I just saw that a bunch of games that I wanted have dropped prices (some kinda dramatically). Unfortunately, right now I´m in a country where there isn´t a single place where you can buy iTunes gift cards, and I don´t even have a credit card to purchase the games from the appstore.

So, is there a kind soul here who could buy a $15 gift card for me and send me the code via pm? I´ll be back in the US at the end of October. I promise I´ll send the person a $15 iTunes code back.

You guys can check my post history and stuff if you want. You can believe me. Please let me know if you can help, if not, thanks anyway :)

Wow! Came on to post about Mirror's Edge, then also bought Zenonia 2, Phantasy Star 2, Monkey Ball 2, and Baseball Superstars 2010! Ching goes the credit card!

Thanks for all the posts! HOLY CRAP look at all these drops and i've only got $4.89 in my account. :( I better go dump my coin jar at the local Coinstar in the morning. That's my extra iTunes/Amazon GC fund whatever is happening at the time. :D

Which reminds me, today is last day of the Coinstar/iTunes free $10 GC promo:

$10 GIFT CARD OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS Receive a $10 iTunes gift card by mail when you convert at least $40 U.S. dollars in coins into an iTunes Certificate using a Coinstar Center® at participating stores in the U.S.A. between September 1, 2010 and September 30, 2010. After you complete your qualifying Coinstar transaction, you will receive an eCertificate with a unique code at the bottom of your voucher (“promotional code”) that you must enter online at www.coinstar.com/itunes to claim your $10 iTunes gift card. Your iTunes card will be mailed to you within 2-3 weeks. Do not mail in the eCertificate portion of the voucher. Promotional codes must be redeemed by 11:59:59 p.m. Central Time on October 31, 2010. Any promotional codes not entered and received through the redemption website by 11:59:59 p.m. Central Time are void. Promotional codes have no cash value and may not be sold or transferred. Cointstar is not responsible for damaged or defective codes. All claims are subject to verification. Limit one iTunes gift card per promotional code. Gift cards will not be shipped to PO boxes. Coinstar is not responsible for technical errors of any kind with respect to the submission and/or processing of gift card claims, or for damaged, lost, misdirected or stolen mail/gift cards. Consumers must have a computer and access to the internet to claim iTunes gift card. iTunes gift cards are subject to terms set by the issuer. iTunes is a trademark of Apple, Inc.
http://coinstar.com/us/html/itunes

This has been the craziest day I have seen for app sales, ever. It's like the Illuminati (Or Anon) conspired to get every app developer to all put their apps on sale at the same time. Why? Simple. To make people go crazy. Yes, crazy.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Enclave Soldier: I can do that for ya. I'll shoot you a PM.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much man. I replied to your pm. You are my hero (you´ll get back the money I promise).

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']DO NOT BUY ARCHETYPE IF YOU HAVE THE 4TH GENERATION IPOD TOUCH

sorry for HUGE text and BRIGHT color but I am just trying to save peoples money :D[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, but why?

[quote name='TheRock88']Just wondering, but why?[/QUOTE]

because it wont launch, just look at the reviews on it . A lot of people were complaining it didnt work on the 4th gen ipod touch.

[quote name='mcdaking84']hows metal gear?[/QUOTE]

It's ok. I got it back when it was .99, which was a great deal. For $3...It's good but I might hold out. It's not free-roaming like you'd expect a MGS game to be.

[quote name='porieux']Wish there was some iPad love too.[/QUOTE]

I here that. Too often I see the same exact game $.99-3 on iPhone and $10-13 on iPad with no major difference other than different resolution and aspect ratio. :bomb:

Hey I just read a comment from an Aaron Douglas on tuaw that totally pressed the "duh" button in my brain.

When you're out and about and an app over 20mbs has a fire sale, you can buy it as a gift, and send the code to yourself so you can download it later when you're in range of a wifi network.

Maybe some of you had already figured that out but I hadn't, so I thought I'd share.

[quote name='Kush']I don't remember seeing this game mentioned, but PopCap's Chuzzle has dropped to $.99 as well. I've never played it, but it's PopCap... POPCAP![/QUOTE]

You just made my day! I LOVE this game and have been waiting for a price drop! Thanks!

A couple of notable freemium titles (free with DLC) you may want to consider:

Brain Shock (http://itunes.apple.com/app/brain-shock/id391905034?mt=8)
"Where's your brain? Is it still there at where you think it is?

Check out this great game to figure out if it's in right place with neurons speeding up well! :D

Features.
- 18+45 (premium) Fantastic levels to play
- Excellent graphics with cool mechanics and brain
- Normal mode & Random mode (premium)
- Time checking & consecutive play in random mode (premium)
- Openfeint leaderboards & achievements fully integrated
- & also Game Center leaderboard & achievements!"

GravBot (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gravbot/id383450069?mt=8)
"GravBot is a physics-based puzzle platformer, where you decide which way is "up" as a little robot falls and pivots through each level. Collect all the batteries to win, but watch out. A wrong move could be deadly!

Each level presents a unique challenge. Find the right path, avoid enemies, spike traps and laser beams. Use levers, buttons and elevators to solve the puzzles. GravBot is fun for all ages, but with the game's physics, the simplest solution isn't always what it seems! Challenge yourself to earn a bronze, silver or gold metal for the smallest number of pivots needed to complete the level, then compete with your friends on Plus+ Leaderboards.

GravBot includes twelve levels you can play for free! Then, if you're up for the challenge, two add-on level packs are available for purchase, each with twenty more levels for you to play!

If you like GravBot, be sure to check out Team Phobic's other games: Bounce On, Bounce On 2, Tunnel Shoot, iTD and Micro Mayhem. Follow @teamphobic on twitter, or find us on Facebook!

Game Highlights:

* Play 12 levels for free
* Two level packs with twenty levels each, available for purchase
* High resolution support for iPhone 4 Retina Display
* Share your scores on Facebook
* Compete on Plus+ Leaderboards and collect awards
* Easy intuitive controls suitable for all ages"

Just bought Peggle, Spider, and Geometry Wars. Missing anything that's a must have?

Thought about getting Baseball Superstars 2010 but I'm not sure I like the idea of playing a sports sim without the actual MLB teams in it. The other baseball game that's on sale has nowhere near as good reviews. Anyone here played the game? Thoughts?

TouchArcade has a nice re-cap/listing of most of the current phenomenal sale titles. Here it is for those who don't want to leave this site and/or flip back to find the various sale prices:

A few notable games dropping to $0.99 include:

991304.png

Osmos, $0.99 Osmos was originally released in late August of 2009 for the PC, and went on to win numerous awards. The multi-touch controls work wonderfully on the platform and it's a natural fit for the iPhone. We highly recommend picking this one up. Review

954996.png

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, $0.99 We choose Tiger Style Games' Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor for our 2009 Game of the Year. Spider is an original concept built specifically for the iPhone by a small self funded team. Review

273637.png

2K Sports NHL 2K11, $0.99 It wouldn't be hard for NHL 2K11 to claim the title of best ice hockey game on the iPhone, since the competition is sorely lacking. But it surprisingly goes above and beyond and offers a truly full-fledged NHL experience on a mobile platform. Review

504952.png

Archetype, $0.99 Archetype delivers one of the most robust, beautiful, and most importantly fun first person shooter (FPS) experiences that can be had on the iPhone. Review
Here's the rest of the list, grouped by price. Unfortunately, this appears to be an iPhone / iPod Touch phenomenon mostly. Only two games (marked below) are iPad native.
$0.99

$1.99

$2.99+

iTraceur, a Parkour / Freerunning game, is FREE for one day only (http://itunes.apple.com/app/itraceur-parkour-freerunning/id374163905?mt=8).

"THE FIRST PARKOUR / FREERUNNING GAME EVER CREATED BY TRACEURS!!!
Approved by David Belle - creator of parkour!

Parkour ( the art of displacement, freerunning ) is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

Traceur (freerunner) is the practitioner of parkour.
In this game you control a traceur, making his way through the city."

[quote name='Dimsdale']
[*]FIFA 10 by EA Sports ($6.99 -> $4.99)
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

There's no reason to touch Fifa 10 with Fifa 11 just being released for $4.99. It puts pretty much every other Sports title to shame on the iPhone as far as graphics, animations and comparison of content to it's console brothers

I played Civ Rev lite and it's pretty solid on the iPod Touch 4g. Only complaint is it needs retina support. Kind of a pain scrolling the screen to move units long distance or when you zoom out it's pixelated or you can't see your units anymore to move them. Will debate the $0.99 cost.. =)

Wonder what is driving all these sale prices.

Geo Wars is great on the ipad and is a steal at 99 cents.

I wish they would have dropped the price on the ipad versions of these games.

[quote name='cougar65']Thought about getting Baseball Superstars 2010 but I'm not sure I like the idea of playing a sports sim without the actual MLB teams in it. The other baseball game that's on sale has nowhere near as good reviews. Anyone here played the game? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
For a buck a piece, I'm going to just go ahead and get both of them (I assume the other title you're talking about is 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011).

I picked up Mirror's Edge last night. I think I will pick up Need for Speed Shift, 9 Innings Pro Baseball, Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, and possible Peggle tonight. Anyone have any feedback on any of these?

Is monkey Island worth it? Debating on whether or not to pick up both of them... Jumped on FFI & II, that's the most I've spent on a game for my Touch, my usual price point is $1-$2 if there are great recommendations (which I find on this thread!)...

The castle defense variant Bar Defender is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bar-defender/id336120169?mt=8).

"Bad news – a huge multinational corporation wants to build a business complex on the site of your favorite bar, and you are the only one standing between the bulldozers and the booze. Still, the situation is not utterly hopeless – not before you run out of bottles! Wave after wave, you will repel the enemy with your barrage of beverages. Sooner or later they will learn not to underestimate the powers of a (not so) peaceful civil resistance!"

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Is monkey Island worth it? Debating on whether or not to pick up both of them...[/QUOTE]
I like the voice acting and production values on both Monkeys. However, I think LeChuck's Revenge controls better. I'd snag 'em both for only .99. If you're only going to get one, though, I'd opt for the sequel.

[quote name='cougar65']The other baseball game that's on sale has nowhere near as good reviews. Anyone here played the game? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I like it, best baseball game on the app store IMO. Only reason it has so many 1 stars was there were a few bugs in several updates where it would erase your entire saved data. But looking at the recent reviews for the new patch, looks like they fixed it. For a buck, I say its easily worth it.

So far I picked up Osmos, Monkey Island II, Mirror's Edge, Tony Hawk 2, and Star Wars Trench Run

Civ Rev for 99 cents? Sweet, I was looking at that a while ago, glad I decided to wait.

Geometry Wars for 99 cents too? Might have to get that.

Holding back on FF1 and FF2 though, having paid 99 cents for Monkey Island 1 and 2, I refuse to pay $4 for FF1 etc. when I consider Monkey Island to be the superior game (even though I haven't played FF1 or Monkey Island.) If it was FF6, I'd buy.

Wow! I've been waiting for a lot of these to drop in price. I'm picking up NHL 2K11, Osmos, NFS Shift and Doom II RPG today.

I thought Peggle was a steal at $2.99, so at $0.99, everyone should own it (it's easily one of my top 5 favorite iPhone games).

I also picked up Castlevania Puzzle the last time it was at $1.99, and I thought it was totally worth it (think Columns mixed with Puzzle Fighter as far as puzzle gameplay goes, mixed with RPG elements from Puzzle Quest). Great game.

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 is a good cart racer, and definitely worth it at $1.99, though it takes a little while to get used to the controls. Also, if you are expecting a drift/boost mechanic, it's not there.

Anyone have an opinion on Hills and Rivers Remain and/or VANGUARD STORM ?
Looks decent but square can be hit or miss. Bought:
Zenonia 2
Splice
Mirrors edge
Spider
Baseball stars
Assassins creed 2
Zombie infection
Peggle

Debating Hybrid 2, I loved the first one got at least 2 weeks of solid play out of it. Also is Archetype multi only?

Wow awesome sale. Mirror's Edge, Myst, Osmos, NHL, Spider and AC2... all mine.

I may even lift my boycott of Activision after they finally included the 2 map packs for free in this update. Awesome iPhone gaming day.

Anyone have an opinion on Zenonia 2? I never got through the first one... on the fence about this one. What about Hybrid 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back