iPhone OS 3.0 & 3GS Disscussion

SMS, MMS, all that crap, is simply data over the air. There's no special radio tweaks needed.

Need I remind you that you can send and recieve MMS with third party apps on the 2G phone.

[quote name='dallow']SMS, MMS, all that crap, is simply data over the air. There's no special radio tweaks needed.

Need I remind you that you can send and recieve MMS with third party apps on the 2G phone.[/quote]

Sure, it's all data, but SMS, MMS are special because it's a particular data format that the towers will handle differently than generic internet traffic. Normally, I would agree with you and say it's hogwash, but I don't think apple is outright lying here, which makes me curious as to what actual difference they are referring to.

[quote name='dallow']And the second point I made?[/quote]

It's actually addressed in my response. I'm curious to know what hardware difference apple is ascribing it to (assuming its not an outright lie).

dallow is right. no reason to argue. its apple being apple. you didn't upgrade to the latest version so they will give u most of the updates...and claim u can't have some. Some people wont give a shit(people who dont use mms) and others will think thats the final push for them to finally get a 3g iphone. its crappy but its the truth. if 3rd party people can get it to work across both 2g and 3g phones, no reason apple cant figure it out.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's actually addressed in my response. I'm curious to know what hardware difference apple is ascribing it to (assuming its not an outright lie).[/quote]
I can see them half-lying.
The MMS they showed off is a little more robust than standard MMS (pictures) as you can now send sounds, contacts, and files. Perhaps the 2G can't do those extra thngs.

There is no doubt in my mind though that the 2G can handle picture MMS just fine because well, it already does.

I've almost bought an iphone several times the past few months but kept waiting to see what the new one would be this year. Glad I waiting now 16gb speedier version for $200 doesn't sound bad. The cheapass in me wants to just get the $100 8gb version though.

I suppose a few more weeks wont hurt me since i've waited this long. I'll wait and see how much improvement the online browser and stuff really offers versus the current model. I'm sick my my craptastic Razr but I do enjoy the local phone companies cheap rates and no contract.

Normally I'd go cheapass on the new version, but something in me says spend the extra $100 and get another 16 Gb storage. $299 for 32 Gb iPhone doesn't sound so bad! I figure third gen is usually when Apple gets its act together anyway. I know a ton of people here got the old model--any CAGs planning to upgrade?

My Alltel contract expires in one year, and when that time comes I absolutely plan to switch to AT&T and get the iPhone. I have a 16GB iPod Touch now and I love it, and I would really like to be able to combine it and my cell phone. When the time does come, I will get the iPhone model that offers the most storage.

I can't fucking wait.

I've had the 4GB for almost 2 years now, so buying the 32GB will be a HUGE upgrade for me.

I'm shocked to see that 4GB iPhones still go for 150+ though. I'll have to sell mine soon :)

[quote name='DestroVega']are new touches coming out? I read the whole live blog and it seems the answer is no?[/QUOTE]

New iPods are announced in September.

Ok guys, I need some schooling....I'm a non-frequent cell user. I've had Pay-as-you-go on ATT for a long time now, but thanks to work I'm going more texting and talking and my Razor V3 is starting to flake out.

I'm tempted to go with something that does QWERTY and go with a $50 a month plan or so....something with texting...etc. The new phones are...daunting.

The way I see it, is I go with 2 years on AT&T and get the new iphone....bonus..its an mp3 player...bonus it will turn sideways for SMS apps with the keypad. The 200 texts a month plan is only $5 bucks more.

Or, I go with Verizon.....2 years and I get the LG one that is touch, flips open to a qwerty, etc. Plan costs are about the same....$50 to $60. Its also an MP3 player....and all that jazz.

But I am a freakin Cell n00b...its the one area of personal electronics that I know almost nothing about :D Do I need special headphones for the iphone or the lg, or does it use standard stereo headphones? do these require the bluetooth wireless headphones, which have to be battery powered?

How long do the batteries last? I mean....am I charging these things every night and praying they stay up all day long if I do texting all day and some light chatting?? Or are they like my razor, where it can go sevearl days before I have to think about charging it up....

And lastly.....do they sell these phones with 1yr commitments instead of 2?

Thanky in advance....

I just bought a 16GB last week. Got it cheaper than the 16GB 3Gs, and I'm not too interested in the new features the 3gs offers - so I don't feel burned at all.

I'm most interested in the Tom Tom GPS app that was announced. Any idea if that's exclusive to the 3Gs or both 3G models?

just did a quick search - confirmed for 3G iphones.

they'll be sure to gouge us with the in-car power charger/holder when you use it as a gps. :lol:

If it works nicely, I'll definitely pick it up. I wouldn't mind dropping my clunky Garmen.

Does it say the roads? Or is it just silent turn-by-turn?

---

I have to say I'm most excited for the compass now that I'll be going to school in Philadelphia. I'm really bad with directions :whistle2:[

[quote name='HeadRusch']
I'm tempted to go with something that does QWERTY and go with a $50 a month plan or so[/QUOTE]

You only want to spend $50 a month for a plan and are thinking about an iPhone?

:rofl:

iPhone plans start at $70/month with *0* texts.

Myke:

I don't expect the TomTom app to cost less than $50 and/or require the proprietary dock to use it.

Why would TomTom want people to move away from their own $300 GPS machines to an iPhone app?

If the total is $100, that's not too terrible.

I'd be far less tempted to buy it, but I might eventually.

- that's including the peripherals, mind.

[quote name='manthing']You only want to spend $50 a month for a plan and are thinking about an iPhone?

:rofl:

iPhone plans start at $70/month with *0* texts.
[/QUOTE]

HeadRusch just so you know whay you are getting into.... I'm about to get one as well and was pricing them again that last night and damn AT&T is expensive but Verizon is the exact same for 450 min & Blackberry service. 450 minutes is $40 and the required data plan is $30. I barely talk so the rollover minutes are more than enough. Txt plans suck though 200 for $5, 1500 for $15 or unlimited for $20. Also don't forget the "other fees" in KY nearly $10 alone... My friend has one and she said the cheapest you can go with the little txt plan is about $90 but assume upgrading to 1500 txt as 200 is next to nothing for a whole month.

I've pretty much decided to get the 16gb 3GS on the 19th. I'm gonna try to get it at Best Buy so I can earn RZ points. Speaking of which they still haven't lowered the 3G prices online at least and no sign of the 3GS

[quote name='Ender']My Alltel contract expires in one year, and when that time comes I absolutely plan to switch to AT&T and get the iPhone. I have a 16GB iPod Touch now and I love it, and I would really like to be able to combine it and my cell phone. When the time does come, I will get the iPhone model that offers the most storage.[/QUOTE]

If it's exactly a year then another revision should be hitting just about that time.

[quote name='DestroVega']are new touches coming out? I read the whole live blog and it seems the answer is no?[/QUOTE]

The reason they hold off until September is so the back to school promotion of a free ipod clears out the old models that are less expensive to make.

[quote name='$hady']
I've pretty much decided to get the 16gb 3G S on the 19th. I'm gonna try to get it at Best Buy so I can earn RZ points.[/QUOTE]

Has there been any word that BB is getting iPhone GS at launch?

Because I know for a fact that BB didn't get 3G in-store until 2 months after it launched.

Myke did you buy it directly from AT&T or Apple?
You really should return and rebuy a new 3GS.

Even if you don't care about the camera/video upgrade, the new processor and ram upgrades are much better.
The biggest problem with the iPhone is bottleneck and it really improves the speed and stability of apps.

it was a refurb from at&t. doubt i can return it.

it would require me to go back and talk with at&t customer service. i'd rather cut my own dick off than do that again.

well it looks like att says im eligible for an "early upgrade" for an extra 18 dollars and 2 year commitment. so now i have to figure out if that 2 years is on top of my current contract (which would be a deal breaker) and how much the new plan costs would increase my monthly rate. im on a family plan with my gf, so we each pay about 80 right now (2 iphones w/unlimited text), and she gets a discount through her work.

[quote name='mykevermin']it was a refurb from at&t. doubt i can return it.

it would require me to go back and talk with at&t customer service. i'd rather cut my own dick off than do that again.[/QUOTE]

AT&T gives you a 30 day window to cancel w/o ETFs.

Get the new iPhone silly.

Besides, I doubt that you'll go through as much trouble I did to get my 3G.

BLAH...had no idea you had to get the data plan too....ugh, shit....so tell me if i go with some other phone like....from Verizon or something, or even a non-iPhone from AT&T......do you HAVE to get the data plan?

I mean...a phone with QWERTY for texting and whatever rollover minutes and an mp3 player is really all I'm after.....I dont need games, a kindle, a GPS, a dick-massager, a flashlight app....etc....

[quote name='manthing']Has there been any word that BB is getting iPhone GS at launch?

Because I know for a fact that BB didn't get 3G in-store until 2 months after it launched.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, I assumed since they were a Apple retailer they would have them. But that does make since because they are usually good about having new stuff plastered all over their website and of course at&t wanting to make all the sales. The site does say EXCLUSIVELY from at&t and apple soooooo.:roll: oh well RZ bucks are nice but not a deal breaker I suppose.

EDIT: Headrusch pretty much all the smartphones require a data plan which is usually $30. It actually gives you a nice internet though which I can't say for your Razr v3. I have the same phone and the net is free but you get what you pay for.

My friend recently bought a Nokia 5800 Touch phone and he likes it. The internet is pretty good on it as well from what I saw. It's like $75 a month total through the local phone company. 200 D/ 1000 N minutes, unlimited txt, data plan. Comes with a 8gb sd card but you can upgrade to a 16gb card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a tough choice..

1) stick with Sprint SERO -- $30/mo for unlimited text, data, and 500 min -- but be stuck with a lame phone, all the good smartphones on Sprint require I change plans (the new employee referral program is over twice the price).. I can keep my plan if I either keep my MotoQ or use a similarly low-end smartphone.

2) switch to my parents' AT&T family plan for the 3GS -- $40/mo for the same thing -- but I lose my precious SERO forever, and I'd have a new number.. and it'd be a Louisiana area code when I live in Seattle, though I guess that doesn't matter much.

I'll probably switch to AT&T but I hate the idea of losing SERO when I know I'll never get a plan that cheap again...

[quote name='HeadRusch']BLAH...had no idea you had to get the data plan too....ugh, shit....so tell me if i go with some other phone like....from Verizon or something, or even a non-iPhone from AT&T......do you HAVE to get the data plan?

I mean...a phone with QWERTY for texting and whatever rollover minutes and an mp3 player is really all I'm after[/QUOTE]

The iPhone is(debatably) an SMARTphone. Most Smartphones have a dataplan required with contract.

The LG phone you're describing sounds like a FEATUREphone. I'd proceed caution in selecting one of those phones w/o a data plan. Surfing the web can become VERY expensive w/o a data plan.

Koggit:

I got rid of SERO w/ a Moto Q because of the iPhone and pay $50 more a month for less than SERO.

WinMo stinks, and I got sick of rebooting the phone multiple times a day. I don't mind paying extra to have a phone with a USEABLE web browser that I can get calls on reliably.

You're complaining about paying $10/month more for the iPhone?

Get the fuck outta here with that whiny bullshit.

It's pretty nice, the new camera and the phone being x2 faster does it for me. But i'm not sure my iPhone 3G is doing fine right now and I don't want to extend my contract for another 12-18 months.

[quote name='HeadRusch']BLAH...had no idea you had to get the data plan too....ugh, shit....so tell me if i go with some other phone like....from Verizon or something, or even a non-iPhone from AT&T......do you HAVE to get the data plan?

I mean...a phone with QWERTY for texting and whatever rollover minutes and an mp3 player is really all I'm after.....I dont need games, a kindle, a GPS, a dick-massager, a flashlight app....etc....[/QUOTE]

If you're saying that you don't need a Smartphone--i.e. don't need internet access, e-mail access etc. Then know you don't need a data plan. But you can't buy an iPhone or Blackberry and some other smart phones without a data plan (and they're pretty pointless without them.

Just don't get a smart phone, and get something like the LG Voyager--which I have and like a lot--or another simpler phone with a QWERTY keyboard. It can do internet and e-mail, but you don't have to pay for a plan (just don't use it as it's very pricey otherwise--$1.99 a MB I think).

Though there are no rollover minutes on Verizon--Only Att/Cingulair has those as far as I know.l

[quote name='Koggit']
2) switch to my parents' AT&T family plan for the 3GS -- $40/mo for the same thing -- but I lose my precious SERO forever, and I'd have a new number.. and it'd be a Louisiana area code when I live in Seattle, though I guess that doesn't matter much.
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about the area code thing? I don't know how ATT works, but I just changed my Verizon account to a family plan as my mother wanted a real cell phone instead of a track phone. We live in different states and the line I added for her was able to have her area code rather than my state's.

[quote name='mooshie78']
Though there are no rollover minutes on Verizon--Only Att/Cingulair has those as far as I know.l[/QUOTE]

rollover minutes are silly. in the 6 months ive been with att ive accumulated so many its stupid.

people who go over go over. and people who dont still dont.

[quote name='mooshie78']Are you sure about the area code thing? I don't know how ATT works, but I just changed my Verizon account to a family plan as my mother wanted a real cell phone instead of a track phone. We live in different states and the line I added for her was able to have her area code rather than my state's.[/QUOTE]

my siblings are on a family plan with att and all with iphones. two in california (different area codes) and one in washington, they all have their own respective area codes with no issue.

So how early do you think I will have to go to the store to get this thing? Also, whats a better place to go, the Apple store or the AT&T store?

I was ready to go for an upgrade, but I think I can/will wait. I really was hoping for video chat intergration of some sort. :(

[quote name='$hady'] 450 minutes is $40 and the required data plan is $30. I barely talk so the rollover minutes are more than enough. Txt plans suck though 200 for $5, 1500 for $15 or unlimited for $20. Also don't forget the "other fees" in KY nearly $10 alone... My friend has one and she said the cheapest you can go with the little txt plan is about $90 but assume upgrading to 1500 txt as 200 is next to nothing for a whole month.
[/QUOTE]

Can't you go online through safari and use one many free texting websites?

I'm a big fan of the iPhone's features, but hate the restrictions/requirements they put on it. I just switched from Verizon to AT&T last week because Verizon wasn't able to offer me a phone with Wifi that also didn't require a $30 data plan. They also didn't offer any smartphones that could run Skype (WM or otherwise) as part of their "Messaging Only" plan (I guess they're the masters of manipulation).

I found myself hardly using my voice minutes each month, and decided having an internet connection on my phone would be far more useful. So, I switched to AT&T and picked up a refurbished LG Incite for free with 2 year contract. The Incite hasn't gotten stellar reviews, but it is highly hackable/customizable, and it allowed me to go with AT&T's PDA Personal plan for $34.99 a month.

I added the 200 texts to bring me to a total of $39.99...the exact same I was paying at Verizon for my Nationwide 450 minute plan. Now, I can run Skype on the phone and pay $.02 a minute for when I do actually talk to people. Not to mention, the Incite is one of the few smartphones with Wifi that doesn't require a data plan.

I figured worst comes to worst (ie. if Skype was horrible), I could switch to AT&T's 450 minute plan and still be ahead of the game with a Wifi phone. But I gotta say, so far, I've been very happy. It has fit my needs perfectly, without overpaying for a ton of crap that I'll never use.

HeadRusch - As for your dillemma, if you're not big into cell phones, and are just looking for something practical, I'd probably go with the LG Voyager. My wife has one, and I was just telling her that as much as I love my new Incite, her Voyager gets things done quicker. Part of that is probably that it has actual hardware buttons for everything and minimal reliance on the touchscreen.

Touchscreen only phones are nice and flashy, but when you need to do something in a hurry, you'll never beat a standard squishy button, haha. Plus, you're definitely right about smartphones being daunting. It took me 2 days to get my Incite tweaked to do everything I wanted it to (luckily, like I said, it's very hackable...but I had to remap a button so the screen would shut off without also turning off my wifi). The Voyager is a solid phone though. It just doesn't have the "coolness" factor that the iPhone has.

I honestly dont see a good enough reason for anyone to that already has an iphone 3g to upgrade now....unless there will be apps that are going to be iphone 3gs only...

also..now is a good time to snag a 8gb 3g for $100

[quote name='mooshie78']Are you sure about the area code thing? I don't know how ATT works, but I just changed my Verizon account to a family plan as my mother wanted a real cell phone instead of a track phone. We live in different states and the line I added for her was able to have her area code rather than my state's.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure at all, I haven't yet looked into it, but it'd rule if I could port my Seattle number over to my parents' Louisiana plan

[quote name='tivo']Can't you go online through safari and use one many free texting websites?[/QUOTE]
yes, but then conversations aren't saved, no reply texts, that's really what you're using when you text on iPhone.

[quote name='Koggit']I'm not sure at all, I haven't yet looked into it, but it'd rule if I could port my Seattle number over to my parents' Louisiana plan[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked (late December I wanted to switch from Verizon to ATT) you could only have 1 region per family plan- I don't know how they divide up regions, but Alabama (parent's area code) and Georgia (my area code) were not in the same region, so I doubt Washington/LA would be. Why don't you get a Palm Pre Koggit? The reviews seem positive and you don't have to lose your phone number.

Damn I work with cell phones and thought it was just a update not a new phone lol.
Well good news is at Wal-Mart the 8gs dropped to $97, you still gota pay the insane $30 data only no txting fee which has been my only gripe with the IPhone but most people say It's still worth it.

I'll stick with my gimped G1 for now, HTC Touch Pro 2 is gonna rock and we finally got 3G service from TMobile lol.

Thanks for the heads up from a sales perspective.

[quote name='Papadosh']Last time I checked (late December I wanted to switch from Verizon to ATT) you could only have 1 region per family plan- I don't know how they divide up regions, but Alabama (parent's area code) and Georgia (my area code) were not in the same region, so I doubt Washington/LA would be. Why don't you get a Palm Pre Koggit? The reviews seem positive and you don't have to lose your phone number.[/QUOTE]

I'd like a Pre but it'd require I change from SERO to the new ERP, which is over twice the price ($70 vs $30).

bread's done
Back