iPhone OS 3.0 & 3GS Disscussion

[quote name='Anexanhume']Touch is supported too.

To those decrying the lack of flash, I guarantee it's a hardware limitation. We won't see it until new iphone hardware hits.[/QUOTE]

The iPhone does not has a flash?And all those fools clamoring , for it, being the best phone, and it does not have a flash , what a bunch of fools those apple fanboys!!!!!!

[quote name='Koggit']I'd like a Pre but it'd require I change from SERO to the new ERP, which is over twice the price ($70 vs $30).[/QUOTE]

Are u sure about that?I called a week ago, saying that I would like to upgrade my phone, and they said I had a 75$ credit on any phone.And I was not told to change my SERO plan to the new plan, you sure about that?

[quote name='hcamacho']Are u sure about that?I called a week ago, saying that I would like to upgrade my phone, and they said I had a 75$ credit on any phone.And I was not told to change my SERO plan to the new plan, you sure about that?[/QUOTE]

yeah, i first heard it on Inside Sprint Now, that guy (who's a CSR for Sprint) said the Pre would require one of the new plans, so i went to the live customer service chat online and asked.. here's the transcript (handy that they email it to you)

05/30/2009 06:09:53PM k: "Hi, I'm currently on SERO. When I try to upgrade my phone through the website it forces me to switch plans."
05/30/2009 06:10:11PM k: "I was wondering: if I buy a phone someone else, like eBay, would I be able to use it on my current plan?"

05/30/2009 06:10:20PM Agent (Le'Marcus): "I'll be happy to assist you with that today. One moment please."
05/30/2009 06:10:45PM Agent (Le'Marcus): "What type of phone are you looking to purchase?"

05/30/2009 06:11:06PM k: "Not yet sure. Some sort of smartphone."

05/30/2009 06:13:44PM Agent (Le'Marcus): "I do apologize however without the specific make and model of the device I am unable to relay this information due to most of the newer smartphones requires a newer plan."

05/30/2009 06:14:14PM k: "So it depends on the phone? Some phones would require an upgrade, but others would allow me to remain on SERO?"

05/30/2009 06:14:31PM Agent (Le'Marcus): "That is correct."

The flash issue is allegedly an adobe problem. There was an article about that on tech crunch just recently. Allegedly they are working on the flash for blackberry and pre and then on the iphone.

Flash is so bad on those other phones that do support it.
It's useful though for simple stuff, like a flash button, but big flash sites and videos kill it.

Thankfully for that Safari Mobile is now supporting HTML5 and soon there won't be a need for flash videos anymore.

I think we are all talking about two different flashes. One is the camera flash, the other is Adobe flash.

Anyway, to those who have preordered the iPhone 3GS, did you guys get a confirmation email or anything?

[quote name='Connavar']I preordered thru AT&T and got my confirmation immediately thru them, but no other confirmation beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Like you got that Thank You page that says what to bring on the day it comes out, right?

[quote name='help1']Like you got that Thank You page that says what to bring on the day it comes out, right?[/QUOTE]

No, it was like this (Maybe because I'm a current subscriber and just upgrading from my 2G phone?):

Thank you for your purchase on the AT&T Premier Online Store. We're pleased with your choice of AT&T as your wireless service provider.

We estimate your order will be shipped within 2 - 5 business days pending approval if applicable. We will notify you by email when it is approved and shipped.

Your order may be subject to AT&T eligibility and credit requirements. If we have any questions about your eligibility or your order, we will contact you via email.

You can view the status of your order on AT&T Premier Online Store at any time.

I'm having it shipped next day air to my workplace... not that I can do much but drool over it there heh

I ordered the 16gb 3GS last night about 3 am and I received a email from Bing about 7am saying i've earned $69.65 cashback. So after tax it'll be $141.29.

Not sure what the other confirmation Connovar was looking for but I received a order confirmation email right away and a couple hours later they sent an update on how to check the port status of my old phone number i'm bringing with me.

They do free overnight shipping and it will arrive at your house on the 19th.

Also, I was excited for the TomTom app until it hit me...how will I talk and use my GPS at the same time?

Unless if someone calls I can put them on speaker and it will immediately go right back to the app.

[quote name='seanr1221']Also, I was excited for the TomTom app until it hit me...how will I talk and use my GPS at the same time?

Unless if someone calls I can put them on speaker and it will immediately go right back to the app.[/QUOTE]

Umm, BT headset?

[quote name='dallow']That cashback deal is freakin' good.
I have to figure out a way to take advantage.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have a 3G?

Waitaminute...

Getting 35% CB would make a 16GB 3GS ~$260

:whistle2:k

I am stoked that for once Canada has a temporary one up on the USA for the iPhone. We get tethering at no extra cost until the end of this year. I am sure next January it will start costing an unmarked bag full of non-sequential $20 bills/month. I am going to milk it while we have it though.

[quote name='dallow']I have a 3G yeah, but want the 32GB 3GS.
Especially at $194.35 after cashback.

I don't understand....[/QUOTE]

Of course you don't.

Do you have a 3G with a 2 year contract? You more than likely will have to pay the unsubsidized prices for a 3GS($400 16GB, $500 32GB).

Meaning your dreams of a $200 32GB 3GS will likely remain unfulfilled.

[quote name='manthing']Of course you don't.

Do you have a 3G with a 2 year contract? You more than likely will have to pay the unsubsidized prices for a 3GS($400 16GB, $500 32GB).

Meaning your dreams of a $200 32GB 3GS will likely remain unfulfilled.[/QUOTE]Don't be silly, this deal only works for new activations.

That's why I said I have to find a way to take advantage.

Right now, the plan is to have my lady friend order a new $200 3GS for me. I'll sell her my 3G for next to nothing and we'll swap SIM cards.
She's been wanting an iPhone anyway.

That's what it says in the major thread about it at Fatwallet.

My plan still stands though if indeed you don't need to.

EDIT:
CashBack TOS said:Upgrades, add-a-lines and GoPhone (prepaid) service are not eligible for the CashBack program.

[quote name='dallow']That's what it says in the major thread about it at Fatwallet.

My plan still stands though if indeed you don't need to.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anything of the sort via the Bing T&Cs.

It's under the AT&T/Microsoft cashback TOS since its for that specific deal.

Your participation in Live Search CashBack (the "Program") on www.wireless.att.com is subject to the Microsoft Service Agreement terms at http://tou.live.com (the "Microsoft Program Terms") plus the additional terms and conditions below. In the event of a conflict between these additional terms and the Microsoft Program Terms, the terms below are controlling for your participation in the Program on www.wireless.att.com.

1.Additional Purchase Requirements. Your ability to earn CashBack rewards ("CashBack Rewards") from Live Search for purchases on www.wireless.att.com is subject to the following additional requirements:

i.To be eligible to earn CashBack Rewards, you must access www.wireless.att.com via the AT&T paid search advertisement marked with the Live Search CashBack logo and must successfully complete an eligible purchase on www.att.com within the same web browsing session that was initiated via the AT&T paid search advertisement link, which session may not to exceed a 24 hour period. Ssuch 24 hour period shall be referred to herein as an "Online Session". Your ability to earn CashBack Rewards will automatically expire upon expiration of the Online Session. In addition, you will not earn CashBack rewards on purchases where: (a) you open the AT&T store's web site in a different web browser; (b) your browser is not configured to accept cookies; or (c) the order is later cancelled or the goods or services are later returned.

ii.You must purchase the items specific to the CashBack program and activate new wireless service on a qualified rate plan with a two¿year contract. Upgrades, add-a-lines and GoPhone (prepaid) service are not eligible for the CashBack program.

iii.CashBack Rewards will apply to the price of a single wireless device with a qualified activation and accessories from www.wireless.att.com during a single Online Session. [CashBack Rewards will not be applied to any additional purchases. The price of accessories will qualify for the CashBack Reward only if purchased with a qualified device and activation. The following purchases on www.wireless.att.com are not eligible for CashBack Rewards ("Excluded AT&T Purchases"):

a.upgrades, add-a-lines or device purchases with GoPhone (prepaid) service;

b.purchases that are not completed using www.wireless.att.com's checkout flow

c.Purchases that have a total due today of zero

If you attempt to complete any of the above Excluded AT&T Purchases on www.wireless.att.com during an Online Session, you will not earn your CashBack reward. Please review these terms and conditions before you complete a purchase. www.wireless.att.com is the only AT&T website that is participating in the Program; purchases on any other AT&T website will not be eligible for CashBack Rewards;

iv.The CashBack Rewards that you are eligible to obtain from Live Search will be disclosed to you on the Live Search interstitial page and will be equal to a percentage off the final sale price of the total purchase during the Online Session (excluding shipping and handling fees, insurance fees and other such fees).

v.After your CashBack-eligible purchase is completed, you must go to your email and look for an email from Live Search cashbackwith "CashBack" in the subject line. Set up a Program account with Microsoft by providing all information required by Microsoft (or, if you already have a Program account, log into your Program account in order to associate your AT&T purchases with that account). You must set up a Program account with Microsoft in accordance with the Microsoft Program Terms to receive CashBack Rewards;

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/sharedSegments/MSN-termsConditions.jsp

I see.

Pretty shitty of Bing to make no mention of limits on the splash page, or in the linked T&C page.

Oh well, I'm on vacation the 19th and wouldn't be able to get my phone even if Bing worked.

Can somebody lead me to a list of 3.0 features I can use on my Touch, and a release date for the software on the Touch, please?

here we go again.. that time of the year and im itching for a new phone.. for the most part the camera is the only downer on this new iphone.. i havent made up my mind yet..ive been spoiled with my n95 and n97 is coming soon.

Just to clarify..current att members that are NOT in the contract period are eligible for the 199/299 prices? Also if i find someone selling an old 3g, can i just swap sim cards and it will work or do i have to call all to add the iphone plan? I already have the unlimited data/txt plan.

Thanks

[quote name='Malik112099']i will be super pissed if any 3GS only apps come out...[/QUOTE]

T-minus 4 months until Malik gets super pissed

[quote name='manthing']T-minus 4 months until Malik gets super pissed[/QUOTE]

I think 4 months is a bit of an optimistic number lol

[quote name='Malik112099']i will be super pissed if any 3GS only apps come out...[/QUOTE]
I will be super pissed if no 3GS exclusives come out.

Seems like some people here really know what there talking about =] I have a few questions.

I have an Iphone 8GB ( the origional one , not 3g ) that I purchased March 3rd 2008. It recently cracked ( two months ago - maybe more ) instead of buying a 3G I held out because I thought a new one would be released, and sure enough its coming.

Am I eligible for the upgrade? I think I am because I have the older phone, right?

From what I understand, the 3G was $30 for the data plan, Im paying $20 right now on the old Iphone, will the 3GS still be $30?

Heres the tricky one, I jumped on my grandmothers AT&T line because family plans are so much cheaper, well unfortunetly she passed away and we retardedly never changed the account out of her name, but cancelled her number. How is apple ( or best buy ) going to handle this upgrade - I dont have the account information, I can get it, but I dont know if it will go through .. any suggestions?

And lastly, When I do upgrade, im planning on putting my older Iphone on Ebay to get back some of the $199.99 I gotta pay for the new one .. how do these sell? Its pretty cracked but suprising still works great, If I try and Unlock it first can I get more money for it?

thats it for now, thanks!

I won't ever get an iPhone with a plan. People will be dumping their 3G phones on craigslist after the 3GS comes out, Imma get one and jailbreak it just like my deceased 2G.

I bet you'll be able to get them for

[quote name='Tubaker']Seems like some people here really know what there talking about =] I have a few questions.

I have an Iphone 8GB ( the origional one , not 3g ) that I purchased March 3rd 2008. It recently cracked ( two months ago - maybe more ) instead of buying a 3G I held out because I thought a new one would be released, and sure enough its coming.

Am I eligible for the upgrade? I think I am because I have the older phone, right?[/quote]

You can either call ATT or go look at your account online and see when you are eligible.

From what I understand, the 3G was $30 for the data plan, Im paying $20 right now on the old Iphone, will the 3GS still be $30?

Yes, it has a higher data plan because of the 3G speed.

Heres the tricky one, I jumped on my grandmothers AT&T line because family plans are so much cheaper, well unfortunetly she passed away and we retardedly never changed the account out of her name, but cancelled her number. How is apple ( or best buy ) going to handle this upgrade - I dont have the account information, I can get it, but I dont know if it will go through .. any suggestions?

If your grandmother's number was cancelled, that means someone in your family has the ability to access the account. If you aren't authorized, someone who is must do it.

And lastly, When I do upgrade, im planning on putting my older Iphone on Ebay to get back some of the $199.99 I gotta pay for the new one .. how do these sell? Its pretty cracked but suprising still works great, If I try and Unlock it first can I get more money for it?

thats it for now, thanks!

You may have to pay more than 199.99 depending upon your eligibility. What do you mean it is cracked, the screen? If so, it will still sell because you can fix those. Unlocking is not necessary to make it sell.

I'm thinking of signing up for AT&T just to try it out. If I wind up liking it, will I be able to port my number over from T-Mobile later, or would I have to cancel the account and make a new one?

Or I might just wait until I can find a factory unlocked one and shell out however much for it. I don't feel like giving up my unlimited minutes, data and texting for $85 with T-Mobile. :(

[quote name='lmz00']I'm thinking of signing up for AT&T just to try it out. If I wind up liking it, will I be able to port my number over from T-Mobile later, or would I have to cancel the account and make a new one?[/quote]

You can transfer your phone number, I think it's a law now.

Or I might just wait until I can find a factory unlocked one and shell out however much for it. I don't feel like giving up my unlimited minutes, data and texting for $85 with T-Mobile. :(

You're not going to get a deal anywhere near that good with AT&T. Get a jailbroken phone, or do it yourself (it ain't hard).

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']You can transfer your phone number, I think it's a law now.

You're not going to get a deal anywhere near that good with AT&T. Get a jailbroken phone, or do it yourself (it ain't hard).[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it'll be a very long time before someone figures out how to unlock the iPhone 3GS.

[quote name='lmz00']I'm pretty sure it'll be a very long time before someone figures out how to unlock the iPhone 3GS.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I thought you were talking about the regular 3G. #-o

bread's done
Back