iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I picked up 2 $40 iTunes cards. On my PC, I can use PayPal; can't do that on my iPhone for some reason. But I did a bunch of eBay sales recently, so this works out nicely.

Oddly, though, I didn't pick up anything from this week's sales, though; anything I wanted, I already had.

Hope EA left $3 dollars in your wallet, because Space Invaders Infinity Gene finally has a sale, limited to the first 100,000 downloads, and I know there's only 99,999 left.

Buy now

Love all the updates in this thread!

Finally picked up another $15 iTunes card yesterday and bought:
Infinity Blade
NFS:HP
BF:BC2
Simcity DLX
Zombies & Me
Gamebox 2

Also a couple demos of other $.99 deal games.

Saving the rest for more deals. I've got so many games I haven't even played it's silly.

Gameloft is having 21 games at $.99 for three days as part of their Christmas sale. Here are the titles (from Touch Arcade):

iPhone/iPod Touch:

Iron Man 2
Hero of Sparta II
UNO
The Settlers
NFL 2011
Let’s Golf 2
Shrek Kart
Real Football 2011
Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles
The Oregon Trail
Splinter Cell Conviction
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Driver

iPad:

Splinter Cell: Conviction
Let’s Golf 2
NFL 2011
Blokus
Zombie Infection

[quote name='dejeckt']What do you guys think of Crimson Gem Saga?
http://itunes.apple.com/app/crimson-gem-saga/id381217285?mt=8

Its currently at $4.99 (down from $9.99) the price seems kinda high compared to EA and the controls appears to be difficult I still want this game eventually. You think this will ever drop lower than $4.99? I pretty much have a good backlog so I'm in no hurry getting another game.

If this is a double post...I'm sorry got lazy and didn't search.[/QUOTE]

I picked this up when it went on sale last time. It's not bad, but my biggest complaint is that when you want to play, it takes about a minute of going through loading and menus before you can start. The worst of it is there's no multitasking, so everytime you back out of it, you have to go through those menu's again.
Controls took some getting used to. Mostly in relation to menu selection.

If you can put all that aside, you'll find a decent game. It just doesn't support that pick up and play for 10 minutes flow like most other iphone games have.

On another note I'm getting into Infinity Blade like no other iphone game before. I'm surprised that even after I've beaten it (Beat the God King on bloodline 4 and am on 10 now), I'm still coming back to collect and master everything. I'm hooked!

[quote name='mightymek']Gameloft is having 21 games at $.99 for three days as part of their Christmas sale. Here are the titles (from Touch Arcade):[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I've been waiting to pick up PoP HD for $0.99.

[quote name='mightymek']Gameloft is having 21 games at $.99 for three days as part of their Christmas sale. Here are the titles (from Touch Arcade):

iPhone/iPod Touch:

Iron Man 2
Hero of Sparta II
UNO
The Settlers
NFL 2011
Let’s Golf 2
Shrek Kart
Real Football 2011
Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles
The Oregon Trail
Splinter Cell Conviction
Driver

iPad:

Splinter Cell: Conviction
Let’s Golf 2
NFL 2011
Blokus
Zombie Infection[/QUOTE]

Nothing interesting... They also had Assassin's Creed's game going for $0.99 for two weeks on November (I even thought that $0.99 was the normal price tag, so I had to check AppShopper).

I just tried Opera Mini and Atomic Web Browser Lite and tried a few things on CAG, so far I like AWB. Opera didn't display things right but it did open links in new tabs, something that hasn't been working for me in Safari. Atomic Web Browser Lite displays the site right and opens link in new tabs.

[quote name='jason506']Man I don't think their ever going to put Dungeon Hunter or Nova on sale.[/QUOTE]

Dungeon Hunter has been on sale for $.99 at least twice. If you're talking about the new one, its' very new, so give it some time.

N.O.V.A. has also been on sale for $.99, so that'll probably happen again before too long...

[quote name='INCyr']Dungeon Hunter has been on sale for $.99 at least twice. If you're talking about the new one, its' very new, so give it some time.

N.O.V.A. has also been on sale for $.99, so that'll probably happen again before too long...[/QUOTE]
I'm talking about the first ones, I've been waiting since around august for them to go on sale. Thats when I got my iPod.

So no votes for Hero of Sparta II or PoP? From what I've read, Sparta is nice but has no soul, and PoP has some issues due to the small screen size. I'm most tempted by PoP because I loved the first one of xbox so much and got through about half of Warrior within before getting destracted by something else (major gaming ADD). I mean, is it playable at all? The PsP port got pretty mediocre reviews as well; it does have a larger screen, but it isn't 99 cents.

oh, I started Aralon, and I think it is amazing :) Just goes to show different people like different things

Has anyone played any of the EA board games like Monopoly or Life? I ask because those are things that my Dad might actually be able to play with me online :D

So I don't want to go off-topic and sound lazy, but my wife is giving me an iPad that she won at her office party for Christmas and I would really appreciate the opinions of fellow CAGs as to what the "must-have" games and apps are. I've googled a bunch of "Top 10" lists and watched a bunch of YouTube reviews, but I'm curious what you guys think since I have never owned anything like this before. If nothing else, is there a website that is viewed as trustworthy for all things iPad? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread.

I was playing words with friends for free and one of the ads that pop up was that newtoy was going to have a sale starting on Tuesday Dec 21.

Words with friends was going to be .99 cents at least. And I might pick it up so I don't have to see the ads anymore. Don't know about the rest of the games though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']Iphone version of Labyrinth is $1. Amazing the difference a few pixels make. Basically, you lay tiles to make a path from start to finish. Some tiles have treasure, swords, and monsters. Collect swords, each monster costs a sword. Treasure good. The tiles are randomized and you can drop them anywhere. Make a path to the goal and collect all that shows up in that path, dealing with all monsters too. It's not exactly spectacular, but it works.

You want a Reiner Knizia Iphone rundown? I can do that.

Samurai: Right now still the best. Great polish, great game, great online play.
Knights of Charlemagne: Quite good. Play suited numbered knights on number or suit targets. Have most on target and you win it. Invest wisely, though, fight big battles to have the most or try to invest where your foe isn't.
Money, High Society, and Kingdoms: All from the same groupgroup and all quite good too.
Medici: Buggy, poorly polished. Don't bother.
Ingenious: Clever tile laying board game, score on all the colors, but make a good balance. Your weakest color is your final score. Crowd out your foe's weakest so he can't score on it.
Poison: Simplistic but still decent fun. Play on potions up to a certain level. Go over and you have to take the whole stack. Hope you can get everyone else to take the poison.
Roto and Topas: Different but unimpressive single player puzzlers, a la Bejeweled and the like.

There are a whole bunch new recently that I haven't gotten to play, too.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks much for the run-down. I ended up getting the iPad version of Labyrinth and wish maybe I'd grabbed the iPhone one. The extra screen space with the iPad doesn't really give you much more and the gameplay is very simple. That said, I like it, it's a Carcassonne-like tile laying solitaire game.

I'll keep an eye on the others, too many games to play to grab any of them w/o a price drop right now :)

[quote name='zeb06']Secret of Mana tonight! (hopefully anyways, out on the NZ store already apparently) -- http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/20/secret-of-mana-iphone-release-date/

Infinity Blade update tomorrow -- http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/20/infinity-blade-update-coming-tomorrow-detailed-today/

*Edit*

Thanks for the heads up on Gameloft...already have most of their decent games that are on sale. Picked up Sparta 2 for 99 cents, wondering about Prince of Persia as well...looks decent for a buck.[/QUOTE]

Like joystiq mentioned, it'll be interesting to see how the controls work out. I think I'll wait for some of you guys comments before I drop money on it. If my memory serves me correct, it can be a fairly difficult game...

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is back down to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-secret-monkey-island-special/id324741347?mt=8).

"Back by popular demand, The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic pirate adventure game from LucasArts with:

• An all new re-imagined contemporary art style
• Complete voice over by members of the original Monkey Island™ franchise cast
• A re-mastered musical score using live instruments
• Plus, scene-for-scene hot swap to seamlessly transition between Special Edition and Classic modes at anytime"

Einfach Genial, otherwise known as Reiner Knizia's Ingenious, has dropped to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ingenious/id344523873?mt=8#).

"The already addictive nature of the Ingenious board game is greatly enhanced on the iPhone, giving the user a really exciting- and graphically stimulating-experience every time. Build lines of colour tiles, try and block your opponent, and remember that the winner isn't necessarily the player with the highest scores in only a few colours!
You must excel in all your colours."

Anyone have an idea when these sales will end? My gift card appears to arrive before the 24th so if the deals are scheduled to last till the 25th ( a guess) then I wouldn't mind waiting on purchases.

[quote name='dejeckt']Anyone have an idea when these sales will end? My gift card appears to arrive before the 24th so if the deals are scheduled to last till the 25th ( a guess) then I wouldn't mind waiting on purchases.[/QUOTE]

Not sure when most of them will end, but iTunes Connect, which the developers use to set prices and upload games, goes down from Dec 23 to 28. So, if they haven't changed by Thursday, the price will be set until the middle of next week.

Also

http://www.indiesale.com/

Doesn't look like the prices are active yet, but six indie games for 99c each, with 1/3 going to Child's Play
Canabalt, Spider, Solipskier, Eliss, Drop7 and Osmos

[quote name='DtotheP']Hope EA left $3 dollars in your wallet, because Space Invaders Infinity Gene finally has a sale, limited to the first 100,000 downloads, and I know there's only 99,999 left.

Buy now[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Such a good game.

Didn't see a mention of this, but Age of Zombies finally dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/age-of-zombies/id395627741?mt=8)

"From Halfbrick, the creators of Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash comes their newest and biggest adventure yet! Lock and load through the history of time as a tough-as-nails commando named Barry Steakfries, who is looking for nothing more than to shoot some zombies and make it back in time for a hearty dinner!

The evil Professor Brains has sent hordes of undead to the furthest reaches of time to destroy mankind, but Steakfries won’t be taking that lying down. He’ll take it with a gun, a Zombie T-Rex and a whole repertoire of cheesy one-liners!

Shoot up ninjas, mummies, cavemen and massive bosses with a huge variety of weapons and explosives!

Bonus Survival mode to take your zombie-blasting skills to the next level, with Game Center leaderboards and achievements!"

Not exactly a deal, but Secret of Mana now available for $8.99. You should be able to find it by searching for it. In no rush to get this game (still have to finish zenonia and zenonia 2). Why are Square Enix's games seems to be priced high?

Not only Canabalt but Osmos, Drop 7, Eliss, Solipskier, and Spider: Bryce Mansion are 99 cents each as well with 1/3 of the proceeds to go to Child's Play charity.

I bought Canabalt and I'm thinking about Osmos. Anyone with any thoughts about the other games? Also these 99 cent games are killing my wallet. I must've wasted almost $25 on these $0.99 games (with one exception, Space Invaders Infinity Gene which I bought for $3).

Piyo Blocks 2 is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/piyo-blocks-2/id377664695?mt=8).
"Introducing Piyo Blocks 2, the magical match-em-up sequel to the iPhone original, Piyo Blocks. Completely developed from scratch with all new graphics, game modes, 2 player battles, and much much more."

Space Miner: Space Ore Bust
has dropped to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/space-miner-space-ore-bust/id353853276?mt=8).
"Space Miner has been hailed as one of the best iPhone games of all time by critics and customers alike. Discover why this asteroid-blasting RPG has astounded gamers the world over! Gorgeous 3D graphics, dazzling particle effects, realistic physics, fully customizable controls, and movie-quality sound combine to set a new standard on the App Store."

Also from the same producers as Space Miner, Ninjatown: Trees of Doom! is likewise on sale for .99 until Dec. 22 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ninjatown-trees-of-doom/id369997638?mt=8).
"Climb, flip, fling, and fly up the TREES OF DOOM as you try to make it higher than any other Wee Ninja in Ninjatown! Ol' Master Ninja will be most-impressed by your agile ascent, thanks to the easy-to-learn, ultra-responsive controls that make it super-simple to dodge Mr. Demon's evil minions as you ascend."

Yup!
Chaos Rings

iPhone version:
$5.99, was $12.99

iPad version (first ever price drop)
$7.99, was $15.99

Also, Final Fantasy I and II are $3.99 each.

Picked up Canabalt and Spider: Bryce Manor, both of which were on my wishlist for a long time. I'm still hoping for both GeoDefense games to go down someday.

I have app sale exhaustion. I honestly took a break from posting these sales because it's just been too much. This is what Dimsdale must feel like haha.

Btw Splice delivered the long awaited HD update.

And iDJ is on sale for $2, down from $5. Made by Numark and is universal.

Buy

Couldn't help it.

[quote name='worrybomb']Not only Canabalt but Osmos, Drop 7, Eliss, Solipskier, and Spider: Bryce Mansion are 99 cents each as well with 1/3 of the proceeds to go to Child's Play charity.

I bought Canabalt and I'm thinking about Osmos. Anyone with any thoughts about the other games? Also these 99 cent games are killing my wallet. I must've wasted almost $25 on these $0.99 games (with one exception, Space Invaders Infinity Gene which I bought for $3).[/QUOTE]

Osmos is great, you have to get it. It's the most stressful "chill game" I've ever played.

Just picked up Canabalt and Osmos myself. Currently on the fence with Space Invaders and Spider. I'll check out some videos and probably end up picking those up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back