iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='DtotheP']Ok so verdict:

Chaos Rings or Eternal Legacy?

Also,

Sale: Sonic 4 - $3

Buy[/QUOTE]

I own Chaos Rings and while it was good for the time, I think it's been overshadowed by newer releases. Square doesn't tend to innovate all that much and Chaos Rings is sort of a 1/2 RPG ... it just seems like something is missing from it and I haven't gone back to it in some time. Eternal Legacy is obviously a blatant rip off of classic PS1 FF ... but it appears to be done right and if I had to choose right now, I think I'd go with Eternal Legacy.

In regards to Sonic 4 ... it's awful ... controls are just wrong and don't feel like a true Sonic game. I hated it ... but I grew up with a Genesis, so maybe my expectations were too high. Heck, buy Chaos Rings AND Eternal Legacy and skip Sonic ;)

Just got Chaos Rings. Really excited.

Also, Age of Zombies is on sale for the beautiful price of $.99 from $2.99. Been waiting for this one for a good while.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Canabalt worth a dollar? ehh... I wouldn't go that far.[/QUOTE]

How do you determine if something is not worth A DOLLAR?

Another rare sale:

Words with Friends - $1

Buy

Also, Namco and Sega are having storewide sales, too many to list from my phone.

Btw, this app Glitchbeam is probably totally useless but I really like it, reminds me of all that demoscene stuff or visuals from a rave in 1992. If it incorporated iPod songs and tv-out I'd pay at least a buck for it.

Free

Finally! Bought Drop7 after all this time!.

What are the thoughts on the official Risk game? For $1, I gotta think it's worth it, but it's gotten beat up in the reviews.

I got Risk. Easy and Normal are a breeze. Hard has beat me now and then, but not too bad either. If you're experience in the art of Risk, you may see it to be too easy. It's not bad in terms of gameplay though.

Kometen is on sale: $2.99 ----> .99. I've been waiting for this game for a while to drop.

Sorry no app store link, on my phone.

:)

[quote name='tipio']Kometen is on sale: $2.99 ----> .99. I've been waiting for this game for a while to drop.

Sorry no app store link, on my phone.

:)[/QUOTE]

I'm on my phone. On the AppStore go to the tell a friend button on the app. It will open your email with an AppStore link. Copy the link and close the email.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kometen/id371244586?mt=8

[quote name='SkyBird']So no votes for Hero of Sparta II or PoP? From what I've read, Sparta is nice but has no soul, and PoP has some issues due to the small screen size. I'm most tempted by PoP because I loved the first one of xbox so much and got through about half of Warrior within before getting destracted by something else (major gaming ADD). I mean, is it playable at all? The PsP port got pretty mediocre reviews as well; it does have a larger screen, but it isn't 99 cents.

oh, I started Aralon, and I think it is amazing :) Just goes to show different people like different things

Has anyone played any of the EA board games like Monopoly or Life? I ask because those are things that my Dad might actually be able to play with me online :D[/QUOTE]I like Monopoly a lot (world version a bit better).

[quote name='Felder71']Finally! Bought Drop7 after all this time!.

What are the thoughts on the official Risk game? For $1, I gotta think it's worth it, but it's gotten beat up in the reviews.[/QUOTE]Personally I like LUX DX much more. I think it is easily worth the extra $4 if you really like risk. I think the official app is way too slow to play through a game. The AI in LUX is pretty good and the interface is nice and clean. I bought Risk for $2 and regret it. I never play it over LUX DX.

[quote name='Swift900']Just picked up Canabalt and Osmos myself. Currently on the fence with Space Invaders and Spider. I'll check out some videos and probably end up picking those up tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
I was pretty indifferent to SIIG, too. But after reading all the reviews and recommendations, I went ahead and bought it last night. I was very pleasantly surprised! Game is a LOT more compelling than anything remotely like Space Invaders from the past. For $2.99, it's the most expensive non-Cave title I've purchased in a while, but I think it's definitely worth it. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the Risk "reviews". Lux looks interesting, but I'm not willing to drop $5. I'll admit to being a Risk "newbie" so the ease of difficulty on the official app isn't so much of a problem. I'll pick it up and something else better comes along for a cheap price, I can always switch. Thanks again.

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm on my phone. On the AppStore go to the tell a friend button on the app. It will open your email with an AppStore link. Copy the link and close the email.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kometen/id371244586?mt=8[/QUOTE]

The problem is the link ends up just text and not a hyperlink, it's missing the URL tags.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kometen/id371244586?mt=8

Unless you want to type out the tags

[/url] after link

before link

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prayformojo']Gameloft's advent calendar has Gangstar: West Coast Hustle for free today.[/QUOTE]

For iPad only.

All of the Battle Bears titles are currently FREE. Links courtesy of Touch Arcade:
BATTLE BEARS -1, Free (Universal)
BATTLE BEARS: Zombies!, Free
BATTLE BEARS GO, Free (iPad Only)

Another space shooter, Star Aliens Wars, is also FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-aliens-wars/id406804044?mt=8).
"The year 2999,in a galaxy far far away, Mutant has cloned thousands of zombie pilots in the secret labs to support the plan of conquering the world. The zombie pilots will wipe out the allied air force and enforce its strategic to dominance in the
sky, opening the way to bring the world down. To stop the and defeat their insidious plot, the allied command has called up the three top pilots and ordered to destroy the enemy at any cost. The operation has been codenamed "Star Aliens Wars"."

Guerrilla Bob HD is currently on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/guerrilla-bob-hd/id409791246?mt=8).
"Get your finger on the trigger and prepare to fire! Guerilla Bob is an action-packed shooter game with stunning visuals, plenty of kick-a*s weaponry, unique enemies, explosive ammunition and non-stop humor.
KICK-A*S WEAPONRY
Bob can collect money from the enemies and use it in the shop to unlock a huge variety of weapons, each with their own upgrades:
• Machinegun
• Timed Bombs
• Molotov Cocktail
• Shotgun
• Double Uzis
• Flamethrower
• Rocket Launcher
• Grenade Launcher
• Sticky Bow
• Chaingun"

In for Osmos at 99 cents. I have it on Steam, but I basically never play games on my computer. I liked this game, just don't play my computer much. Looking forward to trying it out on a platform I actually use.

Some other board games on sale, each being $1 off:

Reiner Knizia's Ra (universal): $3.99
http://appshopper.com/games/ra-designed-by-reiner-knizia

Reiner Knizia's Medici (iPhone/iPod touch): $1.99
http://appshopper.com/games/medici-for-iphone

Reiner Kinzia's Medici HD (iPad): $2.99
http://appshopper.com/games/medici

The dev (same for both) also announced that Medici will get an update adding, "online multiplayer, leaderboards, and achievements" in the new year. Yeah! Ra is also supposed to get that at some point, but no ETA. I can't wait for the Medici update and future Ra update - both are great games, just need online. They also announced that they are bringing Puerto Rico to the iPad in 2011. It will be an iPad-only game. I've never played Puerto Rico, but everybody says it's a fantastic game. I'm really going to need to get an iPad at some point.... See:

http://sageboardgames.com/?p=115

[quote name='DtotheP']Ok so verdict:

Chaos Rings or Eternal Legacy?

Also,

Sale: Sonic 4 - $3

Buy[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and got chaos rings. I know it might seem outdated now compared to the new titles, but I have wanted it for a long time and this is the cheapest it has ever been. I am guessing that at some point I'll also get EL as well, but for now I'm going chaos rings.

[quote name='crunchewy']CAG puts the tags in for you if you just paste the link in. No need to enter the tags yourself. Or at least that's how it has always worked for me.[/QUOTE]

The new mobile version doesn't automatically convert links to HTML, but if you click the "BBCode" button in the top right hand corner, you'll find a whole slew of options including one for adding links.

[quote name='GamerChris']Wow, that game has gotten great reviews. Too bad I'm getting "This item is being modified" errors.[/QUOTE]
I got that at first too just keep trying.

Thinking about Spiderman, but it strikes me as a game I'll download and then promptly never play. Could be wrong, though. Hmmm.

EDIT: did decide to buy Queen's Crown for 99 cents. Hoping it really is like a top-down Zelda (and a good one) - is it? Guess I'll find out.

In for Spidey. Thanks for the post! Also, I can't believe it but I'm actually debating getting Chaos Rings. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but everyone just gushes over this one. If it wasn't for the sale, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. It's not like I don't have a ton of new games to play right now. . .

Totally been waiting for spiderman to go down in price, HELL YES bought! now heres hoping some of my other wishlist apps go on sale :D

[quote name='Dimsdale']In for Spidey. Thanks for the post! Also, I can't believe it but I'm actually debating getting Chaos Rings. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but everyone just gushes over this one. If it wasn't for the sale, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. It's not like I don't have a ton of new games to play right now. . .[/QUOTE]

I say you would need at least one 3d jrpg on your iphone. As far as the game goes it seems similar to Eternal Legend, but Chaos Rings was more expensive ($12.99) and now cheaper than Eternal Legend. I say go for Chaos Rings, personally I'm waiting to see if Eternal Legend (is the title right?) drops and for my itunes card.

However, if your not really into RPGs then I suggest spending your money on other games that are on sale right now...theres lots of em.

*edit*
Review from Touch Arcade
http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/19/chaos-rings-square-enixs-iphone-exclusive-rpg/

So basically Final Fantasy Diet

Space Invaders Infinity Gene (playing on iPad) is easily one of the funnest games I've played in awhile. For $3 it's well worth it. I'm a SHMUP wannabe (meaning I like the genre, but suck at the games), and this is a perfect level of fun/skill for me.

I picked up Canabalt, for what reasons I don't know why. I've never been the biggest fan of "go that way really really fast!" games, but this was the grand daddy of em. Except for its style and music it's the least impressive of any in that genre as an actual game.

Similarly, Kometen is more an art demo than a real game, but I ended up spending more time with it than Canabalt just to see what there was to it. For a buck, whatever.

Also Space Miner for a buck is a must-buy if you don't have it. Best VD-pad action/adventure game I've played. And I hate VD-pad games. Considering double dipping for the HD version...

Now if Infinity Blade would just stop crashing every time I launch it... *sad face*

i ran out and got another itunes card today just to hit some sales. only now it won't let me purchase anything. stuck in a revolving loop of verifying my payment information. don't know why it's asking for any seeing as i have $50 in credit on my account...

[quote name='crunchewy']Thinking about Spiderman, but it strikes me as a game I'll download and then promptly never play. Could be wrong, though. Hmmm.

It might be I got it when it first came out its good but it just doesn't spark a person to finish it right away but for a buck get it anyway well well worth it

[quote name='DtotheP']

And iDJ is on sale for $2, down from $5. Made by Numark and is universal.

Buy

Couldn't help it.[/QUOTE]

I thinking of purchasing this app, but can't seem to find any videos online.

[quote name='crunchewy']Some other board games on sale, each being $1 off:

Reiner Knizia's Ra (universal): $3.99
http://appshopper.com/games/ra-designed-by-reiner-knizia

Reiner Knizia's Medici (iPhone/iPod touch): $1.99
http://appshopper.com/games/medici-for-iphone

Reiner Kinzia's Medici HD (iPad): $2.99
http://appshopper.com/games/medici

The dev (same for both) also announced that Medici will get an update adding, "online multiplayer, leaderboards, and achievements" in the new year. Yeah! Ra is also supposed to get that at some point, but no ETA. I can't wait for the Medici update and future Ra update - both are great games, just need online. They also announced that they are bringing Puerto Rico to the iPad in 2011. It will be an iPad-only game. I've never played Puerto Rico, but everybody says it's a fantastic game. I'm really going to need to get an iPad at some point.... See:

http://sageboardgames.com/?p=115[/QUOTE]

These guys are real amateurs. Medici was an unplayable, buggy, ugly, crashing mess when it came out, and up to now they've just got it down to an ugly, barely playable mess. Would rather some of the better Reiner Knizia teams develop more of this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back