iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Smaxor']I picked up Canabalt, for what reasons I don't know why. I've never been the biggest fan of "go that way really really fast!" games, but this was the grand daddy of em. Except for its style and music it's the least impressive of any in that genre as an actual game.[/QUOTE]

I played a lot of canabalt on the web before deciding not to buy it, and ended up picking up Monster Dash instead. Similar, but much more fun...

Amazed by the Canabalt hate. Keep in mind this spawned the genre, and was made in a matter of days by one guy. Of course, I play Robot Unicorn Attack a heck of a lot more.

Got my 2 $50 iTunes cards from the Best Buy sale, so I picked up Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Chaos Rings, Gunstar Heroes, and Secret of Mana. And here I was doing so good about not buying any apps... Figure I spent $20, which was what I saved buying the two cards.

Gonna wait on the Gameloft clone-fest games, though. Eternal Legacy and Shadow Guardian look good, but I'd rather wait for price drops.

[quote name='RollingSkull']These guys are real amateurs. Medici was an unplayable, buggy, ugly, crashing mess when it came out, and up to now they've just got it down to an ugly, barely playable mess. Would rather some of the better Reiner Knizia teams develop more of this crap.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I didn't have any problems with the game, except Medici when it was first released the location of the buttons on the iphone was poor, but they changed it. The next update is suppose to improve that further, but I certainly find the game very playable now. Oh well.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Amazed by the Canabalt hate. Keep in mind this spawned the genre, and was made in a matter of days by one guy. Of course, I play Robot Unicorn Attack a heck of a lot more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, im really confused by the hate. Its similar to hating Street Fighter II because other fighters are updated/better.

Canabalt is pretty boring, and I like most indie games.
I feel the same way about all the 'running' games though.

It's kind of a blurry mess on iPad too. :(
At least the dollar went to charity... or some of it...

Canabalt was good when it was first. Now it's just as shallow and short lived as all the copy cats. Having said that, I played Monster Dash a lot more, but I can't really ever say that I felt it was actually worth paying for. I wouldn't suggest paying for any of them. I.e. they are a novelty, one that has long since run its course, so to speak.

Even if Canabalt sucked it kicks ass in terms of presentation. Still have yet to see a running game with very solid sound and aesthetics. Canabalt on headphones is a must.

Hero Project is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hero-project/id392890746?mt=8).
"Welcome to the HERO PROJECT, rookie – we need your help! My name is Captain Midnite, I’m a member of Parliament – the PARLIAMENT of HEROES, twelve strong, standing together against the inevitable tide of mankind’s dark destiny. We created the HERO PROJECT so you can help us save the world…
This is a world in crisis, a crisis foreseen by few, and understood by none - until now. We must take ACTION! No more cities in flames or destroyed by angry mobs! No more evil-doers taking our valuable, precious stuff! No more kittens inexplicably stranded in trees! It’s time to make a STAND – join the HERO PROJECT and stamp out super-villainy FOR GOOD!"

The online-only Global War is the featured FAAD game right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/global-war/id334365308?mt=8).
"Fight ONLINE against millions of players in a massive Global War!
(iPad and Retina display users download Global War HD for the full HD experience!)
- Build massive armies with your friends and destroy your enemies
- Chat in real time with anyone online!
- Participate in daily community contests and earn powerful rewards
- Free updates forever!"

Canabalt has those pretty looking gray pixel graphics and the funky chiptune music, but it is shallow as hell, little more than a minigame, and got way too much praise for those aesthetics in spite of the shoddy, broken gameplay.

I hate, hate, HATE the sort of circlejerk surrounding this ugly little ghetto of gaming, the "indie aesthetics" over actual solid game design.

This is why I can't value Canabalt at a dollar. Even taking away the comparison of the many, many other decent Iphone games at a dollar, if my dollar supports that horrendous counter-culture that venerates these half-games, then it is a dollar that generates negative utility. A DESTRUCTIVE dollar, mind you.

Damn, I sound like Icycalm's and Tycho's gay love child there. I feel so, so dirty.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Canabalt has those pretty looking gray pixel graphics and the funky chiptune music, but it is shallow as hell, little more than a minigame, and got way too much praise for those aesthetics in spite of the shoddy, broken gameplay.

I hate, hate, HATE the sort of circlejerk surrounding this ugly little ghetto of gaming, the "indie aesthetics" over actual solid game design.

This is why I can't value Canabalt at a dollar. Even taking away the comparison of the many, many other decent Iphone games at a dollar, if my dollar supports that horrendous counter-culture that venerates these half-games, then it is a dollar that generates negative utility. A DESTRUCTIVE dollar, mind you.

Damn, I sound like Icycalm's and Tycho's gay love child there. I feel so, so dirty.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you more if you just say you didn't like it for personal taste. Even if it never got the praise I'd still back it up.

And the solid game design is there, its just procedural basics.

Honestly I dont want to debate this. I understand its not for everyone, but its not something to put into lesser value. I really really dislike the Halo series but I see how its good to some.

back to thread... I think Street Fighter IV dropped to 6.99 from 9.99

[quote name='dallow']I definitely don't take it that seriously.

It's a mini-game with interesting visuals and sound.
Just a bit of a bore.[/QUOTE]

Hmm this is me. I didn't mean to pile on with not liking Canabalt. I don't hate it, just not my bag, was wondering why I even bought it. I blame all these sales. So easy to click on a dollar! I'm being conditioned...

I think maybe worse than that, I just bought Chaos Rings, and I tend to really not dig JRPGs.

If you like traveling most (all?) the Lonely Planet guides for Europe are free right now as a sympathetic sale towards people trapped there due to the super crap weather.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Canabalt has those pretty looking gray pixel graphics and the funky chiptune music, but it is shallow as hell, little more than a minigame, and got way too much praise for those aesthetics in spite of the shoddy, broken gameplay.

Damn, I sound like Icycalm's and Tycho's gay love child there. I feel so, so dirty.[/QUOTE]

That's quite a soap box you've got there. What is that? Birch? Douglas fir?

Off topic a bit...but I just updated NFS Hot Pursuit. Was there a career choice either than a cop before? Cause I don't remember being able to choose 'Racer' as a career mode.

*edit* I think the update did indeed add a new career mode; thats a lot of value for $0.99

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Just checked and it's showing up $4.99 for me. WTF?![/QUOTE]

Clicked on the "Buy Now", it took me to the iTunes AppStore and it's showing as 99 cents for me. Try checking now, maybe it took time to change.

[quote name='dejeckt']Off topic a bit...but I just updated NFS Hot Pursuit. Was there a career choice either than a cop before? Cause I don't remember being able to choose 'Racer' as a career mode.

*edit* I think the update did indeed add a new career mode; thats a lot of value for $0.99[/QUOTE]

You are correct; that was just added in the update.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm with you more if you just say you didn't like it for personal taste. Even if it never got the praise I'd still back it up.

And the solid game design is there, its just procedural basics.

Honestly I dont want to debate this. I understand its not for everyone, but its not something to put into lesser value. I really really dislike the Halo series but I see how its good to some.[/QUOTE]

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I suppose.

[quote name='Lukami']Wow Dead Rising just keep dropping, should I just wait till it drops to .99 or get it now?[/QUOTE]

That's always the question with any iOS game. "How loowww... can it goooo? HOW LOOOOW... CAN IT GOOOOO?"

I'm loving EA's $1 sale. It's made so many other games go to $1 to match it. Slick.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']That's always the question with any iOS game. "How loowww... can it goooo? HOW LOOOOW... CAN IT GOOOOO?"

I'm loving EA's $1 sale. It's made so many other games go to $1 to match it. Slick.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'd give EA that much credit, this same sales bonanza happens this time of year every year.

Update: just read this little story RE: EA sale, Red Nova, indie games.

Read

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']I'm not sure I'd give EA that much credit, this same sales bonanza happens this time of year every year.

Update: just read this little story RE: EA sale, Red Nova, indie games.

Read[/QUOTE]

And you said not to give EA much credit. The sheer number of games hitting $1 from BIG NAME developers/publishers (like Gameloft) is pretty impressive, given how much these games are being discounted from. Some are $5 or more that are dropping to $1 to keep EA from dominating the marketplace. Great for everyone. Well, except the indies.

On the one hand, it sucks to be an indie developer because they don't have the money to lose to get namebrand recognition. On the other, it sucks to be an indie developer because they need every sale to just keep going.

I think we should try and help the indie out by petitioning Apple to offer a price point lower than $1. Perhaps a $0.49 or a $0.19 price to really get our attention...

I also agree that namebrand publishers should not be on the same chart as a self-published one-person-made game. An indie section would make a lot of sense.

[quote name='crunchewy']Canabalt was good when it was first. Now it's just as shallow and short lived as all the copy cats. Having said that, I played Monster Dash a lot more, but I can't really ever say that I felt it was actually worth paying for. I wouldn't suggest paying for any of them. I.e. they are a novelty, one that has long since run its course, so to speak.[/QUOTE]

Canabalt, as others have mentioned, spawned the genre. Everything since has been a poor copy. Canabalt's simplicity is what makes it great. The dark grey theme, the GREAT soundtrack and the atmosphere all give you the sense of back story. Why is he running? What is he running from?

The game is well worth the $1 and much better than all the other crap copies like monster dash and other rip offs. It fits the iOS platform for pick up and play for 5 minutes.

[quote name='Lukami']Wow Dead Rising just keep dropping, should I just wait till it drops to .99 or get it now?[/QUOTE]

I want to get this game, but I have such a large backlog of games on my phone that I think I will wait for $.99. When Mirror's Edge dropped to $1.99, I jumped right on that. Less than a month later, it was on sale for $.99. So I am gonna be patient.

The hidden object game The Mystery of the Crystal Portal has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-mystery-crystal-portal/id341329826?mt=8).

"Embark on a brain-bending adventure that's full of unique hidden object fun. Journalist Nicole Rankwist has always been close to her archaeologist father. So when her father goes missing, Nicole knows she has to find him. After all, he had apparently just made a discovery that could "change the course of humanity". Join Nicole as she searches the globe on an eye-popping quest to find her father and discover the truth behind the Crystal Portal. Featuring innovative hidden object gameplay, an intriguing storyline, stunning full-screen graphics, and more, The Mystery of the Crystal Portal is a thrilling escape for the whole family."

The way Dead Rising has been dropping, this will be 0.99 eventually, and since I have a huge backlog already on my iTouch, I got no rush to get it at 1.99. Picked up Spiderman, Canabalt and Queen's Crown yesterday for .99 each. The Spiderman file is huge.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']And you said not to give EA much credit. The sheer number of games hitting $1 from BIG NAME developers/publishers (like Gameloft) is pretty impressive, given how much these games are being discounted from. Some are $5 or more that are dropping to $1 to keep EA from dominating the marketplace. Great for everyone. Well, except the indies.

On the one hand, it sucks to be an indie developer because they don't have the money to lose to get namebrand recognition. On the other, it sucks to be an indie developer because they need every sale to just keep going.

I think we should try and help the indie out by petitioning Apple to offer a price point lower than $1. Perhaps a $0.49 or a $0.19 price to really get our attention...

I also agree that namebrand publishers should not be on the same chart as a self-published one-person-made game. An indie section would make a lot of sense.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Back when I attended GDC this year, there was an interesting mobile dev talk regarding a race to the bottom in regards to pricing. People buy things at $1 or less on an impulse and this often results in many more sales than a title would have gotten at a higher price. It's a shame Apple doesn't offer

[quote name='Malik112099']New Tilt To Live update it out![/QUOTE]
Nice! This used to be my go to game for a while. It's good to see that they've added a new weapon and game mode.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/game-dev-story/id396085661?mt=8

Regular price is $3.99. $2.99 is the same sale price they had a couple of weeks ago (pre-Black Friday), was hoping they would drop to $0.99 for Christmas :/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. Got lazy.

I got excited when I saw the price update this morning and was let down that it still only came to $2.99. May still pull the trigger. Bought Carcassonne at 4.99 and don't regret it, and I've heard GDC is good. Still, .99 is inevitable, right?

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I got excited when I saw the price update this morning and was let down that it still only came to $2.99. May still pull the trigger. Bought Carcassonne at 4.99 and don't regret it, and I've heard GDC is good. Still, .99 is inevitable, right?[/QUOTE]

I heard good comments about the game a while ago (over a month or so), but I've already bought a ton of games (darn sales) in the past week (NFS:HP, NFS:U, The Sims 3 Ambitions, ZENONIA®, ZENONIA®2, Dungeon Defenders: First Wave, ILLUSIA, HYBRID, HYBRID 2 and Queen's Crown), I'd probably pitch in if it was at $0.99, but since it's not I'll probably just wait, got plenty to play.

Not sure if they would ever drop to $0.99, heard that they were working in a new version, maybe when that one drops, or who knows.

Picked up Spider-Man, easily recommended it at $1 for comic fans.

[quote name='DtotheP']Street Fighter 4 - $7 Buy
Dead Rising - $2 Buy
Ghosts n' Goblins 2 - $1 Buy[/QUOTE]
Thanks, picked up GnG2. Bought SF4 for $10 (normal price) a few weeks ago and it is amazing, so I highly recommend it for fans of the series (and fans of fighting games in general). Checkout out some YouTube vids of Dead Rising and it seems terrible... I think there is a good reason it has dropped in price so fast.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']http://appshopper.com/games/i-dig-it

I Dig It is free, bought it when it was 99c. Fun little "digger" game...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='INCyr']I Dig It is up there with Space Miner as a fantastic VPad game. Definitely felt like I underpaid for that game when I got it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I probably wouldn't have looked twice if you hadn't compared it to space miner. Also, I've been wifi-less for about a week (staying with family), so I'm glad it is less than 20 MB.

Solomans keep has gone free. It is a really cute little rpg, got some really good reviews from media

Find out more about Solomon's Keep here:

http://appshopper.com/games/solomons-keep

Sent from my iPod

[quote name='SkyBird']Solomans keep has gone free. It is a really cute little rpg, got some really good reviews from media[/QUOTE]

Solomons keep isn't an RPG. It's a dual-stick shooter, with some light RPG elements.

I'm in for free I Dig It. I tried the demo a long time ago, but never pulled the trigger. Now's certainly the time!

EDIT: and add Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for 99 cents and The Mystery of the Crystal Portal for free. Yeah!

Another hidden object game, Cassandra's Journey: The Legacy of Nostradamus, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cassandras-journey-the-legacy/id329197151?mt=8). Note: The HD version is also free as well, for all you iPad owners.
"Make a magical trip together with young mystic Cassandra and the spirit of mysterious Nostradamus searching for the lost Ring. You will meet diverse characters, visit beautiful locations, accomplish a lot of tasks and gradually find a surprising key to the main riddle. Gameplay includes all the best and the most loved mechanics in casual games. It mixes hidden-object and card games, image and word puzzles, match 3 levels and magic tricks."

Catan is on sale for $2.99 until December 29 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/catan/id335029050?mt=8#).
"There is hardly a board game award that the "Settlers of Catan" game, created by Klaus Teuber, has not won. This classic has a global fan community and has been translated into 30 languages over its last 14 successful years.
"Catan - The First Island", the legendary strategy game, is now here on iPhone and iPod touch to provide gaming fun any time, anywhere. True to the original game, you can compete with up to four players for the most settlements, the longest roads and the largest army. You can trade with each other and claim the precious land with all its resources."

Yet another hidden object puzzler, The Stone of Destiny, is now FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-stone-of-destiny/id290657880?mt=8).
"Fancy yourself an adventurer, finding valuable hidden treasures that others have unsuccessfully searched for. Maybe a good, old fashioned mystery is just the ticket for you?
The Stone of Destiny has something for every adventurous spirit in search of intrigue. Explore the foreboding ruins of mystic temples and libraries or investigate the ancient altar where a precious object may be cleverly hidden. You never know where objects may be found, you’ll have to keep an open mind and be thorough. The yellowed map of the world may even lead you to the briny depths in search a long forgotten shipwreck."
EDIT: Actually, all the Avallon Alliance games are currently available for FREE (http://appshopper.com/search/?search=avallon+alliance).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back