iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Thanks for the info!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Another hidden object game, Cassandra's Journey: The Legacy of Nostradamus, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cassandras-journey-the-legacy/id329197151?mt=8). Note: The HD version is also free as well, for all you iPad owners.
"Make a magical trip together with young mystic Cassandra and the spirit of mysterious Nostradamus searching for the lost Ring. You will meet diverse characters, visit beautiful locations, accomplish a lot of tasks and gradually find a surprising key to the main riddle. Gameplay includes all the best and the most loved mechanics in casual games. It mixes hidden-object and card games, image and word puzzles, match 3 levels and magic tricks."

Catan is on sale for $2.99 until December 29 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/catan/id335029050?mt=8#).
"There is hardly a board game award that the "Settlers of Catan" game, created by Klaus Teuber, has not won. This classic has a global fan community and has been translated into 30 languages over its last 14 successful years.
"Catan - The First Island", the legendary strategy game, is now here on iPhone and iPod touch to provide gaming fun any time, anywhere. True to the original game, you can compete with up to four players for the most settlements, the longest roads and the largest army. You can trade with each other and claim the precious land with all its resources."

Yet another hidden object puzzler, The Stone of Destiny, is now FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-stone-of-destiny/id290657880?mt=8).
"Fancy yourself an adventurer, finding valuable hidden treasures that others have unsuccessfully searched for. Maybe a good, old fashioned mystery is just the ticket for you?
The Stone of Destiny has something for every adventurous spirit in search of intrigue. Explore the foreboding ruins of mystic temples and libraries or investigate the ancient altar where a precious object may be cleverly hidden. You never know where objects may be found, you’ll have to keep an open mind and be thorough. The yellowed map of the world may even lead you to the briny depths in search a long forgotten shipwreck."
EDIT: Actually, all the Avallon Alliance games are currently available for FREE (http://appshopper.com/search/?search=avallon+alliance).[/QUOTE]

I have loaded up on apps this past week and I would highly recommend folks check out Neuroshima Hex, great hex based strategy game. A little complicated at first and you most likely will need to consult outside sources to get the full understanding of the rules, but it is very fun. Also, in 2011 the developer is updating to universal and is working on online multiplayer. If you like Catan or other hex based board games give this one a look.

There is a lite version as well to check it out.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Also, I can't believe it but I'm actually debating getting Chaos Rings. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but everyone just gushes over this one. If it wasn't for the sale, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. It's not like I don't have a ton of new games to play right now. . .[/QUOTE]

Chaos Rings is terrible. I am an RPG guy, and I hated it. If it were 99 cents I'd maybe say go for it just to take a look, but it's still over $5, which is way too much (and I bought it the first time it went on sale, for $9.99, which was way, way too much). Save your money for better games.

What's wrong with it? Everything. The graphics are nice (for an iPhone game), but once you get past that, it has absolutely nothing going for it. The plot (what plot?) has no depth, and will leave you asking what the hell is actually going on (and not in a good, cliffhanger sort of way, but in a bad "what the hell are you talking about?" kind of way). You'll have no idea why you're doing anything that you're doing, other than the fact that the game is telling you to do it. There's no character development whatsoever, and you won't care about them. They are completely non-customizable -- there is one path for weapon and armor upgrades which advances with your character, and you'll have no reason whatsoever not to just follow it. Other than the bosses, there are about four monster designs that just keep repeating over, and over, and over. Once you've figured out how to beat any given monster type, you'll be able to win any battle against them without even thinking about it. Most of the time, you'll just hit the same combo of buttons over and over again. Oh, and the boss battles aren't that challenging either, they just take a lot longer. The puzzles are nearly mindless. The scenery is extremely repetitive -- after a couple of levels, you'll have a very strong feeling of deja vu.

Really, it's just an awful excuse for a game, and Square Enix should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it. I know I'll be a lot more wary when it comes to their future iPhone releases because of it.

[quote name='arcane93']Chaos Rings is terrible. I am an RPG guy, and I hated it. If it were 99 cents I'd maybe say go for it just to take a look, but it's still over $5, which is way too much (and I bought it the first time it went on sale, for $9.99, which was way, way too much). Save your money for better games.

What's wrong with it? Everything. The graphics are nice (for an iPhone game), but once you get past that, it has absolutely nothing going for it. The plot (what plot?) has no depth, and will leave you asking what the hell is actually going on (and not in a good, cliffhanger sort of way, but in a bad "what the hell are you talking about?" kind of way). You'll have no idea why you're doing anything that you're doing, other than the fact that the game is telling you to do it. There's no character development whatsoever, and you won't care about them. They are completely non-customizable -- there is one path for weapon and armor upgrades which advances with your character, and you'll have no reason whatsoever not to just follow it. Other than the bosses, there are about four monster designs that just keep repeating over, and over, and over. Once you've figured out how to beat any given monster type, you'll be able to win any battle against them without even thinking about it. Most of the time, you'll just hit the same combo of buttons over and over again. Oh, and the boss battles aren't that challenging either, they just take a lot longer. The puzzles are nearly mindless. The scenery is extremely repetitive -- after a couple of levels, you'll have a very strong feeling of deja vu.

Really, it's just an awful excuse for a game, and Square Enix should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it. I know I'll be a lot more wary when it comes to their future iPhone releases because of it.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has their own opinion, but I personally love Chaos Rings. The story line may be paired-down from previous games and the scenery does get repetitive. But I thought it was a pretty clever idea to have four couples racing to get through the dungeons alive for "immortality" and I found the fights fun.

It got very good reviews overall from app sites so I'm not alone. Don't take it the wrong way though. Everyone is allowed to feel however they want about a game. But I don't even regret spending the $12.99 intial price.

Thought I was done...and ended up buying Spiderman and Video Stream. Spiderman is awesome, it is pretty flawless! Had to run out and get another iTunes card...these sales are killing me! :)

If anyone is interested, Video Stream is onsale for 99cents at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-stream/id342124650?mt=8 and it does video from pc/mac to iphone/ipod/ipad nicely. Tried VLC, but that program has got a lot of problems.

Thanks for the feedback on Chaos Rings, guys. After watching a few gameplay videos, I decided to hold off on it. I'm really not the target audience. And, as much as I love taking advantage of a good sale, I definitely don't need another title I "might" get around to playing some day (I already have literally hundreds of those). One game I really do want, though, is Infinity Blade. Lord a' mighty that game looks sweeeet. I'm a hack 'n slash brawling games guy (20 years of martial arts training kinda ingrained that in my DNA), so it's definitely in my wheelhouse. I just wish they'd knock a couple of bucks off it or threaten to raise the price in the near future. Anything that can let me justify spending yet more money on another game I play on my phone. I have to have an excuse (even if it's just to myself). Yes, I have a problem. But I also have a lot of kickass games . . .

[quote name='Dimsdale']One game I really do want, though, is Infinity Blade. Lord a' mighty that game looks sweeeet.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'd be all over Infinity Blade if I didn't have a whimpy 2G iPod Touch. Oh well, maybe someday I'll be able to afford to upgrade.

[quote name='ZeroGG']Thought I was done...and ended up buying Spiderman and Video Stream. Spiderman is awesome, it is pretty flawless! Had to run out and get another iTunes card...these sales are killing me! :)

If anyone is interested, Video Stream is onsale for 99cents at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-stream/id342124650?mt=8 and it does video from pc/mac to iphone/ipod/ipad nicely. Tried VLC, but that program has got a lot of problems.[/QUOTE]
Man, I was all set to download the freebie version of Video Stream to see how it compares to Air Video and ZumoCast when I saw it requires Mac users to be running Snow Leopard. Boo. I'm still using 10.5 on my tower at home.

Another sale, but this time more freebies from Avaloid games (stolen from Touch Arcade):

Free iPhone games:

Doodle Devil (0.99$ -> FREE)

The Stone of Destiny (2.99$ -> FREE)

Cassandra's Journey: The Legacy of Nostradamus (1.99$ -> FREE)

Car Troller (0.99$ -> FREE)

Mezopuzzle (0.99$ -> FREE)

Doug Brown (0.99$ -> FREE)

Clay'n'Rain (0.99$ -> FREE)

Zarik (0.99$ -> FREE)

Ghost Bastards AR (0.99$ -> FREE)

Hyper Tunnels 3D (0.99$ -> FREE)

Twistrix (0.99$ -> FREE)

Crazy Checkers (0.99$ -> FREE)

Free iPad games:

The Stone of Destiny HD (3.99$ -> FREE)

Cassandra's Journey: Legacy of Nostradamus HD (3.99$ -> FREE)

The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix (3.99$ -> FREE)

Alot of people seem to like the Doodle God/Doodle Devil games, but I downloaded DD since it was free and can't get into it.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Man, I was all set to download the freebie version of Video Stream to see how it compares to Air Video and ZumoCast when I saw it requires Mac users to be running Snow Leopard. Boo. I'm still using 10.5 on my tower at home.[/QUOTE]

Dims - I'm using 10.5.8 on my macbook...not snow leopard. Works fine for me, it says on their FAQ that 10.5 (leopard) is the minimum. I tried the free version first...and it worked great! You'll need to download the server component from here: http://collect3.com.au/videostream - give it a shot, you wont be sorry.

[quote name='cycophuk']How did that happen?[/QUOTE]

Dunno. He posted on twitter recently that he was permabanned from here and GameTZ.

What do you guys think of The War of Eustrath (currently $3)?

Definitely off subject, but I'm pretty irritated right now. I tried to make a credit card payment to ATT, but apparently I am blocked from making online/phone payments for six months and will only accept cash at ATT store.

This is due to two returned payments on two months far apart, granted those were entirely my mistake (miscalculation of purchases made, led to me being short on payment). The CSR inferred my account as fraudulent (csr - "Due to possible fraudulent activity..." me - "so I'm accused of committing fraud?" csr - "No to be safe, your account is considered fraudulent" me - "???") and there was nothing he could do at all.

I do understand why they would place a block on my checking account, but why is my credit/debit card blocked? Is there anything I could do at this point?

[quote name='dejeckt']What do you guys think of The War of Eustrath (currently $3)?

Definitely off subject, but I'm pretty irritated right now. I tried to make a credit card payment to ATT, but apparently I am blocked from making online/phone payments for six months and will only accept cash at ATT store.

This is due to two returned payments on two months far apart, granted those were entirely my mistake (miscalculation of purchases made, led to me being short on payment). The CSR inferred my account as fraudulent (csr - "Due to possible fraudulent activity..." me - "so I'm accused of committing fraud?" csr - "No to be safe, your account is considered fraudulent" me - "???") and there was nothing he could do at all.

I do understand why they would place a block on my checking account, but why is my credit/debit card blocked? Is there anything I could do at this point?[/QUOTE]

Stop using ATT. Switch. They do have the right to refuse you the OPTION of CC payments if they choose to. They disallow such payments when they keep failing to get a payment to process properly. You did it twice. Imagine the guy who does it more. He'd always be going, "But I did it by accident, I didn't mean it! Sowwy." They gotta draw the line somewhere. They drew it at two for you, I guess.

I'm somewhat surprised they won't let you do an autodraft from your checking though. CC seems more understandable. Perhaps Jobs will bring you a late Christmas present and announce a new Verizon-based iPhone.

First Try Fridays - $1

Looks like a more in-depth version of touchgrind, but has 0 reviews on the app store. I've spent too much in the past 7 days to TOFTM.

Buy

[quote name='DtotheP']First Try Fridays - $1

Looks like a more in-depth version of touchgrind, but has 0 reviews on the app store. I've spent too much in the past 7 days to TOFTM.

Buy[/QUOTE]

yeah saw videos on gametrailers... looked a bit stiff, but if it does it right i'll bite. I want reviews first though.

[quote name='dabamus']Dunno. He posted on twitter recently that he was permabanned from here and GameTZ.[/QUOTE]Why would anyone follow him on Twitter? It's bad enough we had to read his nonsense here.

[quote name='d8onausa']Why would anyone follow him on Twitter? It's bad enough we had to read his nonsense here.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

[quote name='realkilla789']Hey guys I just got a touch, can you guys recommend me must-have games/apps[/QUOTE]
Start reading from page 41.

taken from touch arcade but ubisoft stuff on sale

Dawn of Discovery - Harbor ($2.99→ $.99)
Assassin's Creed II Discovery ($5.99→ $.99)
Silent Hunter Mobile ($4.99→ $.99)
Voodoo Dice ($2.99→ $.99)
The Settlers of Tandria ($3.99→ $1.99)
The Settlers of Tandria HD ($7.99→ $3.99)
Silent Hunter HD ($4.99→ $1.99)

[quote name='dabamus']Dunno. He posted on twitter recently that he was permabanned from here and GameTZ.[/QUOTE]

They went through and deleted all his posts as well. He is wiped off the site completely. Interesting. I think my curiosity is more directed toward how a person could get permabanned off the site in the first place.

[quote name='realkilla789']Hey guys I just got a touch, can you guys recommend me must-have games/apps[/QUOTE]

If I had to choose a well rounded set of apps, and assuming everyone has at least $10 to burn (and the lowest denomination for iTunes giftcard) I will go for...

NFS Hot Pursuit (alternative NFS Underground) - $0.99
good arcade-like racing game with a sense of progression

Mirror's Edge (alternative Hook World) - $0.99
a good runner/platformer game with just enough challenge

Zenonia 2 (alternative Zenonia) - $0.99
a good action rpg, however, I haven't sunk my teeth into this app yet

Pictureka (alternative Uno) - $0.99
a good iphone board game that is multiplayer on a single device

Tetris (alternative Castlevania Puzzle) - $0.99
I think all portable gaming device should have a classic puzzle game...

Spider-Man Total Mayhem (alternative ???) - $0.99
a good, a bit repetitive, action game

Cut the Rope (alternative Angry Birds) - $0.99
one of those pick up and play for all type of game on your iphone

Final Fantasy 2 (alternative Sonic 2) - $3.99 ($2.99 for Sonic 2)
just for nostalgia (chose FF2 over Sonic cause of easier controls for rpg)

I think I went over a dollar, but just check out the categories on your device and you should see whats popular.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']taken from touch arcade but ubisoft stuff on sale

Dawn of Discovery - Harbor ($2.99→ $.99)
Assassin's Creed II Discovery ($5.99→ $.99)
Silent Hunter Mobile ($4.99→ $.99)
Voodoo Dice ($2.99→ $.99)
The Settlers of Tandria ($3.99→ $1.99)
The Settlers of Tandria HD ($7.99→ $3.99)
Silent Hunter HD ($4.99→ $1.99)[/QUOTE]

Prince of Persia Warrior Within is .99 now too.

[quote name='realkilla789']Hey guys I just got a touch, can you guys recommend me must-have games/apps[/QUOTE]Gladly. Now, to qualify, I have played a ton of iPt games and so these are easily the best of the best:

Alive 4-ever Returns
Angry Birds
Fieldrunners
Game Dev Story
Infinity Blade - must buy despite the *relatively* high price tag (if your iPt is 32GB or greater)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Underground - yes, both
Peggle
Plants Vs Zombies
Resident Evil 4 (if it's still around $0.99)
Sword and Poker II

[quote name='ZeroGG']Dims - I'm using 10.5.8 on my macbook...not snow leopard. Works fine for me, it says on their FAQ that 10.5 (leopard) is the minimum. I tried the free version first...and it worked great! You'll need to download the server component from here: http://collect3.com.au/videostream - give it a shot, you wont be sorry.[/QUOTE]
Excellent! That's the same OS I'm currently running, too. I'll give Videostream a shot sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='cgarb84']Rock Band Reloaded and Monopoly are $5 on IPad right now, I just picked both of them up. I'm on my IPad now so no links sorry.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have been waiting for Rock Band Reloaded

[quote name='cycophuk']They went through and deleted all his posts as well. He is wiped off the site completely. Interesting. I think my curiosity is more directed toward how a person could get permabanned off the site in the first place.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of a weird goal of his. He's done it on many sites. In a weird way, I'm going to miss his silly ass. Oh well, I'm sure he still has his YouTube channel...

Back to the deals...

Reel Director - $2

Buy

I have this and Splice, and haven't used either.

Also, Soundhound got an update today that allows unlimited song IDs on the free version of the app.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought First Try Fridays. Quick Install, cool graphics, only sound FX (no music). It wants to play like 'Skate', unfortunately it's way too hard to control. Too much happens without your intent that you frequently get stuck and need to restart. Fortunately, restarting is very quick.

There is a practice area and a skate spots area which is mission based. I couldn't pass the first mission, which is Land a FS Pop Shuv. Despite a tutorial which shows exactly what your fingers need to do to complete a trick, I could never get it to register properly. Instead, I mastered the Nollie Heelflip which is useless for this mission.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but only because I'm a collector of $0.99 skate games.

Here's what I hope: A bunch of people buy it and complain to the dev to fix the controls and make it more straightforward. Or put up a ton of tutorial Youtube videos. +5 achievement points for the first person who can describe how to do a FS Pop Shuv in this game :)

[quote name='Brian234']I bought First Try Fridays. Quick Install, cool graphics, only sound FX (no music). It wants to play like 'Skate', unfortunately it's way too hard to control. Too much happens without your intent that you frequently get stuck and need to restart. Fortunately, restarting is very quick.

There is a practice area and a skate spots area which is mission based. I couldn't pass the first mission, which is Land a FS Pop Shuv. Despite a tutorial which shows exactly what your fingers need to do to complete a trick, I could never get it to register properly. Instead, I mastered the Nollie Heelflip which is useless for this mission.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but only because I'm a collector of $0.99 skate games.

Here's what I hope: A bunch of people buy it and complain to the dev to fix the controls and make it more straightforward. Or put up a ton of tutorial Youtube videos. +5 achievement points for the first person who can describe how to do a FS Pop Shuv in this game :)[/QUOTE]

thx for impressions. Was contimplating getting but I might wait till i hear of an update.

It's not on sale, but Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth HD is a fun solitaire game, that has some connection, sort of, with Carcassonne. Well, just that it's tile placing game. The mechanics of it and theme are completely different. Get the HD version if you think you'll get an iPad or have one, as it's universal. If you don't plan to ever get an iPad, save yourself a few bucks and get the iPhone/iPod touch version which is cheaper, but not universal.

Even though I'm recommending it, I have to say that the implementation on the iPhone is lackluster. The help text is ludicrously tiny and the gameboard itself is needlessly small. Clearly it's a scaling down of the iPad version without thought to how well that would work. There's room for them to have made it bigger by removing some of the whitespace above and below the scores and such.

In spite of that that, though, it's a pretty addicting game. The goal is to create a path from the bottom entrance to the top exit of each level of the dungeon while picking up as much treasure as you can (connecting your path to spaces with treasure on them) and not getting killed by the monsters. You can also pick up swords which kill monsters (one monster per sword), so don't connect your path to more monsters then you have swords or it's game over. Don't block yourself off from the exit either as that's game over too. You score points for collected treasure (and one gem per level worth 100 points).

There's randomness in that the order you happen to get the tiles and what's on them is random, but there's enough strategy in tile placement too to keep it interesting and fun. The games set up such that you have to complete all 9 levels of the "Dungeon" to get to the next set of tiles, which adds some new elements and is harder. Then there's another set of tiles after that too. I haven't made it through all of the dungeon levels yet as it's pretty tough. I recommend the game to board game fans. It's a nice, solo game to fill the downtime from your online Carcassonne, Samurai, etc. :)

iPhone/iPod touch version (99 cents): http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-labyrinth

HD universal version (2.99): http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-labyrinth-hd

Aqua Panic Deluxe (Universal App) dropped $0.99 - I enjoyed the PSP version, but it screamed that it needed to be on a touch device.
Transformers G1: Awakening (iPhone, iPod Touch) $0.99
Across Age (iPhone, iPod Touch) $0.99
Across Age DX (iPhone 4, G3 or G4 iPod Touch only) $2.99 - Difference between this and the original is this has been optimized for retina displays

PvZ HD is truly the best way to play that game.
So much fun to control with your fingers.
Definitely worth $10, borderline criminal for $7, even the third time around.
I've been through it 4x...(mac/iphone/ipad/xbox)

[quote name='DtotheP']

Also, Soundhound got an update today that allows unlimited song IDs on the free version of the app.[/QUOTE]

I should have waited and spent the money of shazam instead. Oh well. :bomb:

Maybe shazam will have unlimited again.:bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back