iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='mistymayem']So I reached my full 11 pages of apps and without realizing it, I downloaded a couple more apps that now aren't showing up on the home pages. I put some apps in folders to save room but now how do I get those apps I downloaded to show up on my home pages? It won't let me redownload because they are installed.[/QUOTE]

I know others have mentioned that you can organize them through itunes when you connect your device to your computer, but I thought they also showed up again, once you've created space, if you turn your device off and on. I certainly could be wrong, but worth a shot.

any apps that are close to Sword of Mana, Pokemon, or any other "sprite" based RPG?

I'd like a nice, long, immersive RPG to play in bed before i go to sleep...like i used to do with some of the games i listed on my old Gameboy SP.

Any decent cheap games that cover this? And for the record...I've played Zenonia and beat it

[quote name='caltab']I know others have mentioned that you can organize them through itunes when you connect your device to your computer, but I thought they also showed up again, once you've created space, if you turn your device off and on. I certainly could be wrong, but worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

I know what your avatar stands for, but when I look at it, all i can think of is ANGRY BIRDS :)

[quote name='DtotheP']I bought it during the last sale and it is a glitchy mess. It was on my 3G, and still is on my 4. Meebo does indeed work much better, and even then, I still have to use the yahoo app to send pics etc. The last update to the yahoo messenger made it pretty damn awesome btw.

You guys are spoiled to not be stuck in the blackberry era when beejive was still jivetalk and it cost $50.[/QUOTE]

UGH! Thanks for the heads up...not getting that one then. I wanted to get multi-IM client - need MSN, AIM and Yahoo. As for the blackberry era - yeah I remember trying to do IM with that thing. Glad I got rid of that thing!

While it's still 99 cents for the ad-free version (Though I think the free version is the same game with ads), I want to make one last pitch for Cause of Death. It's from the Surviving High School folks, and it's practically the same game without any of the minigames, and instead of the kid friendly school drama, they have M-rated police drama. I really enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy the weekly stories.

[quote name='ZeroGG']UGH! Thanks for the heads up...not getting that one then. I wanted to get multi-IM client - need MSN, AIM and Yahoo. As for the blackberry era - yeah I remember trying to do IM with that thing. Glad I got rid of that thing![/QUOTE]

Just get Meebo dude, it'll do everything you need, and it's free.

App Store

What do you guys think of Crimson Gem Saga?
http://itunes.apple.com/app/crimson-gem-saga/id381217285?mt=8

Its currently at $4.99 (down from $9.99) the price seems kinda high compared to EA and the controls appears to be difficult I still want this game eventually. You think this will ever drop lower than $4.99? I pretty much have a good backlog so I'm in no hurry getting another game.

If this is a double post...I'm sorry got lazy and didn't search.

[quote name='Stimes']Heroes 2 HD! for iPad special launch price $1.99? Can't find in app store found it on appshopper but can't download.[/QUOTE]

Saw this on appshopper. Planning on downloading today. I played the hell out of this back in the day.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Changing topics, any comments about these games?

• ILLUSIA
  • 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011
  • Hybrid 2
  • Inotia 2
[/QUOTE]
Just started Illusia, and so far it's great. The platforming is a bit hit or miss, but the combat is fun, fighting controls are solid, fun storytelling, and easy leveling management (you can either set it to manual or let it automatically assign str/dex/int points for you, but even on auto you still decide what skills to invest in). This is my first Gamevil title, and I like it enough that I bought all of their other action rpgs on sale for $0.99.

I broke and picked up Infinity Blade, Dungeon Hunter 2, and Dungeon Defenders. Since the whole family has iTouch, iPad, iPhones it will not be a waste.

[quote name='dejeckt']What do you guys think of Crimson Gem Saga?
http://itunes.apple.com/app/crimson-gem-saga/id381217285?mt=8

Its currently at $4.99 (down from $9.99) the price seems kinda high compared to EA and the controls appears to be difficult I still want this game eventually. You think this will ever drop lower than $4.99? I pretty much have a good backlog so I'm in no hurry getting another game.

If this is a double post...I'm sorry got lazy and didn't search.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Crimson Gem Saga, it has a lot of polish for an iOS game. I didn't have a problem with the controls either. It will eventually go lower in price but it could be a long time.

I have Crimson Gem Saga on PSP, and it's definitely a solid JRPG. Never played the iPod version though.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive case/protector for the 4th Gen iTouch? For my second gen, I just had the silicon case from Monoprice, but they seem to be sold out of the 4th gen versions of these

[quote name='ZForce']I have Crimson Gem Saga on PSP, and it's definitely a solid JRPG. Never played the iPod version though.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive case/protector for the 4th Gen iTouch? For my second gen, I just had the silicon case from Monoprice, but they seem to be sold out of the 4th gen versions of these[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Prot...r-Generation/dp/B0041NRYGA/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

This is perfect. I got it..

got an ipod touch with a 25 itunes card for an early christmas present. picked up

heroes lore 3
plants vs zombies
need for speed - shift, underground, and hot pursuit
star wars hoth
sims 3 ambitions
mass effect galaxy
battlefield bad company 2
castlevania puzzle
hybrid 1 & 2
zenonia 1 & 2
metal gear solid touch
resident evil 4
battle for wesnoth

i think that should hold me over for a while, lol.

Has any one played any games using wi-fi local multiplayer like battlefield bc2 offers using 2 ipads or ipods? If so which games are good?

I got a $10 iTunes card from a relative :D.

Bought:

• NFS: Undercover, Shift, Hot Pursuit
  • Zenonia and Zenonia 2
  • Cut the Rope
  • Sims: Ambitions
  • Sim City Deluxe
  • Resident Evil 4 Platinum
  • Zombie Highway

Not bad for only $10. I only game on my iPod these days, so this is great for me.

NFS: Hot Pursuit has been a lot of fun so far. Cut the Rope is awesome too. Haven't played the others yet, but my sister has been enjoying Sims: Ambitions.

[quote name='ZForce']I have Crimson Gem Saga on PSP, and it's definitely a solid JRPG. Never played the iPod version though.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive case/protector for the 4th Gen iTouch? For my second gen, I just had the silicon case from Monoprice, but they seem to be sold out of the 4th gen versions of these[/QUOTE]

well, this isn't exactly the most inexpensive, but you can't get better protection than otterbox. It's not out quite yet, but is should be here any day I think.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPod-Touch-...&start=1&cgid=ipod-touch-4th-generation-cases

EDIT: oops, sorry didn't see your reply that you got one

[quote name='ZForce']On an unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive case/protector for the 4th Gen iTouch? For my second gen, I just had the silicon case from Monoprice, but they seem to be sold out of the 4th gen versions of these[/QUOTE]

http://stores.ebay.com/DCMUGEN/

Cheap, good, and ships fast. I have one of their cases for my 3GS, and several people I know have gotten iTouch cases for their 3rd Gen, and are quite happy with them. They're a bit better quality than the ones from Monoprice.

Lego Harry Potter got a GameCenter update finally. Added achievements, leaderboards, fixed some bugs, and upgraded the sound. Added the dpad last week too. :)

[quote name='zeb06']Lego Harry Potter got a GameCenter update finally. Added achievements, leaderboards, fixed some bugs, and upgraded the sound. Added the dpad last week too. :)[/QUOTE]

Shame the frame rate is still not great.

Thanks for the tips, I actually bought hard plastic Griffin case at Wal Mart for like 12 bucks. Not the cheapest thing, but it seems durable and adds a little bit of heft and thickness to the device which I like (I have big hands)

Lord of the Rings: Defense of Middle Earth is on sale for $1 for both iPhone and iPad versions:

http://appshopper.com/games/the-lord-of-the-rings-middle-earth-defense
http://appshopper.com/games/the-lord-of-the-rings-middle-earth-defense-for-ipad

For a buck, I bit on the iPad version, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like a lot of the Glu games are on $1 bandwagon, but these 2 stood out for me.

Also I noticed the iPad version of Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth dropped from $5 -> $3. I know nothing about the game or the app, but I'm tempted just because he tends to build good board games.

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-labyrinth-hd

Anyone have it? Thoughts on it? What are the best Reiner Knizia games available (there's a bunch now)?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jcp42877']any apps that are close to Sword of Mana, Pokemon, or any other "sprite" based RPG?

I'd like a nice, long, immersive RPG to play in bed before i go to sleep...like i used to do with some of the games i listed on my old Gameboy SP.

Any decent cheap games that cover this? And for the record...I've played Zenonia and beat it[/QUOTE]

Funny that you ask:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/secret-of-mana-coming-to-iphone-this-year/

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a chess app on the iPad? I am currently looking at either tChess Pro, or Shredder Chess. Each are priced at $7.99, but look pretty impressive with all of the available features. I've been looking at these for the past weeks or so, but just can't decide between the two. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on either of these by any chance.

Ludia's game show games for iPad and iPhone are 99 cents, for some. Price is right, family fued, press your luck, waldo and some more.

[quote name='Hoggle']Does anybody have a good suggestion for a chess app on the iPad? I am currently looking at either tChess Pro, or Shredder Chess. Each are priced at $7.99, but look pretty impressive with all of the available features. I've been looking at these for the past weeks or so, but just can't decide between the two. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on either of these by any chance.[/QUOTE]

I have Fritz Chess which I think is pretty good.

There is a package you can download from Cydia , I cant remember the title of it but I bet if you googled this it will show up or something. But anyways the package makes it where the app store doesnt close when you start a download , it keeps the application open .

awesome :D

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Honestly, Split/Second looks horrible. The graphics are garbage, and it gets no updates. Pass![/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I picked it up for a $1 some time back. The game just plays poorly, and has some horrible track designs that run you right into walls and boxes. There are MUCH better racers on the device.

Just played through the first episode of Cause of Death (free). It was better than I expected and fairly well written. Kept me engaged the whole time. Check it out, especially if you like Phoenix Wright type games.

[quote name='dejeckt']You guys thnk it's worth buying perfect browser for a dollar? Safari feels to slow[/QUOTE]

No... Safari is the best.

I prefer iCabMobile as my alternative browser, it includes downloading files of any type, real tabs, free plugins such as download YouTube video, etc. Still use Safari the most though.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']I've played it for a couple hours and can say it's pretty enjoyable. Yay from me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilman']Yay if you like casual real-time action rpgs.[/QUOTE]

Finally decided to click Buy App. :lol:

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Check out Opera if you want to try a different browser. It's free, and supposed to be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Atomic Web Browser has completely replaced Safari on my iPad for one simple reason: Tabs that don't refresh! I couldn't stand how Safari would refresh my list of RSS feeds after I opened an article in a new tab. Atomic doesn't do this not to mention its faster and the tabs are "desktop pc style" rather than how Safari handles them.

Rather than refreshing pages to open up memory Atomic just warns you when your memory is low so you can close some tabs before the app crashes (has only happened to me when I opened up a bunch of video/pic heavy tabs on purpose to see how long it took for the warning to pop up).

[quote name='Smaxor']Also I noticed the iPad version of Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth dropped from $5 -> $3. I know nothing about the game or the app, but I'm tempted just because he tends to build good board games.

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-labyrinth-hd

Anyone have it? Thoughts on it? What are the best Reiner Knizia games available (there's a bunch now)?[/QUOTE]

Iphone version of Labyrinth is $1. Amazing the difference a few pixels make. Basically, you lay tiles to make a path from start to finish. Some tiles have treasure, swords, and monsters. Collect swords, each monster costs a sword. Treasure good. The tiles are randomized and you can drop them anywhere. Make a path to the goal and collect all that shows up in that path, dealing with all monsters too. It's not exactly spectacular, but it works.

You want a Reiner Knizia Iphone rundown? I can do that.

Samurai: Right now still the best. Great polish, great game, great online play.
Knights of Charlemagne: Quite good. Play suited numbered knights on number or suit targets. Have most on target and you win it. Invest wisely, though, fight big battles to have the most or try to invest where your foe isn't.
Money, High Society, and Kingdoms: All from the same groupgroup and all quite good too.
Medici: Buggy, poorly polished. Don't bother.
Ingenious: Clever tile laying board game, score on all the colors, but make a good balance. Your weakest color is your final score. Crowd out your foe's weakest so he can't score on it.
Poison: Simplistic but still decent fun. Play on potions up to a certain level. Go over and you have to take the whole stack. Hope you can get everyone else to take the poison.
Roto and Topas: Different but unimpressive single player puzzlers, a la Bejeweled and the like.

There are a whole bunch new recently that I haven't gotten to play, too.

Going off subject a bit, but Best Buy currently has iTunes gift cards for $40. Probably old news for people on this thread, but I got it for $20 after applying my $20 rewardzone certificate. Put it to good use once FF Tactics rolls out. Also, does anyone know if itune gift cards expire?

Thanks for all the info on browsers. I will try the free apps and see if I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back