iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Do you guys know of a good point and click adventure on the appstore (i already have Monkey Island 1&2 and Broken Sword)[/QUOTE]

Beneath a Steel Sky. It's $2.99 right now, though.

Protector: The Planes is the latest FAAD featured freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/protector-the-planes/id392917014?mt=8).
"Vast armies of evil march against you as fireballs and poison clouds fly overhead. Assemble an army of wizards and warriors, and bring all your magic and steel to bear against your foes. Protector: The Planes is the latest game in an epic tower defense series which has been played over 50 million times! Over 30% larger than the original version, Protector: The Planes contains amazing new features never before seen in the series. Unleash devastating super-powers such as the meteor strike, blizzard, poison nova and chain lightning to name a few. Employ the fearsome Chaos Knight once you have conquered the mortal realms. Experience 10 planar battles each with new game-play elements that drastically alter the strategies that work well in the mortal realms! Features include:
-10 units, each with a unique super-power
-32 maps to conquer
-New game-play mechanics in each Plane
-All new magical spell graphics
-4 difficulty modes to choose from
-Over 20 hours of game play
-Over 40 different enemies to encounter
-Game Center Support"

Tap 2 Dance Lil' Urban Dancer is OpenFeint's new Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tap-2-dance-lil-urban-dancer/id385463502?mt=8).
"Tap the circles using as many fingers as you can! Then swipe through the path of arrows. See if you can get a x128 multiplier!!! Will your fingers be able to break dance? or will they break from dancing?
Tap 2 Dance is a dancing rhythm reaction match game featuring cute mini characters, and awesome music (because it's your own).
Can you keep the beat and move with style? Drop that guitar and ditch the band... become a hip-hop dance hero by crunking, breaking, and stepping up to take the victory at the Battle of the Beats dance competition."

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Do you guys know of a good point and click adventure on the appstore (i already have Monkey Island 1&2 and Broken Sword)[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed each of these titles, but they are all on the shorter side, lasting only about 2-3 hours each. Maybe 4 hours tops depending on how long it takes you to figure things out.

The Secret of Grisly Manor (99¢)
- fairly straight forward, but enjoyable

HECTOR: Badge of Carnage Ep1 ($3.99)
- raunchy, almost a mix of the Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest series

Scarlett and the Spark of Life: Scarlett Adventures Episode 1 (99¢)
- some nice humor and pop culture references

and I tried the lite version of All Fridges Are Psychotic (99¢) and it seems pretty decent so I may pick that one up soon.

Protector: The Planes is .... Oh beat me to it, downloading now. Mortal Skies and Fast Roads are great games thanks again Dimsdale.

I've used teamviewer on all my family's machines. I've got the remote apps on my iPhone and iPad but haven't had the need to use them yet. But as far as the desktop program is concerned, I won't use anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bostonfrontier']I use Splashtop..... I believe it's the only one that streams sound as a remote desktop[/QUOTE]

I was checking the notes and it seems that you can only connect to computers that are in the same network (it also says that it will be patched at some point to allow access from outside the network).

Edit: Also, Mac support is in beta stage. By reading comments some people say that you need to install something in the computer (sort of LogMeIn and TeamViewer).

Didn't see it posted but Spirit is $.99 and it was recently just updated with a new game mode "pulse." I highly recommend this game.

Ended up buying Remoter, will try it out and post feedback over here in a couple of days (my main computer is broken so there's not much I can do, will use with the one I got at work).

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Has anyone tried Remoter: Remote Desktop (VNC)? It's on sale @ 99c, but I don't know if it's actually good or terrible. At this point the app is listed on Productivity Top 50 Paid.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remoter-remote-desktop-vnc/id369626098?mt=8

I plan to use it to connect to a couple Macs.[/QUOTE]
I've been using VNC Viewer since it is from the makers of RealVNC and have been happy with it (use it with linux machines), but it costs 10x as much. For $1 Remoter is worth a try.

-Edit-
Oh, just noticed you went ahead and got Remoter ^. I picked it up as well, for $1 I'll see if it offers any functionality that VNC Viewer doesn't.

[quote name='lilman']I've been using VNC Viewer since it is from the makers of RealVNC and have been happy with it (use it with linux machines), but it costs 10x as much. For $1 Remoter is worth a try.

-Edit-
Oh, just noticed you went ahead and got Remoter ^. I picked it up as well, for $1 I'll see if it offers any functionality that VNC Viewer doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at the end, for $1 I said what the heck and bought it :p I did some reading here and there, tho.

This looked pretty interesting:
The Game is Afoot has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-game-is-afoot/id331809028?mt=8).
"Put your examination skills to the test and solve 6 mysteries based on the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle mysteries. BONUS eBook downloads with every case you crack!
Scour the world hunting for hidden clues in two immersive gameplay modes that let YOU become the detective. Test your skills of deduction within 30 unique environments. Think its all “Elementary, my dear?” Download to find out!
DELUXE FEATURES
3-APPS-IN-1: You’ll never get bored with the sleek combination of “Hidden Object” and “Spot the Difference” gameplay modes, plus FREE downloadable Sherlock Holmes short stories.
FREE eBOOKS: Solve a case and download the short story right to your iPhone/iPod Touch. With purchase, you receive Volume I & II, each containing 3 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classics - 6 stories total!
AUTHENTIC GAMEPLAY: Every story is based on an original mystery written by author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. With the photorealistic artwork, you’ll feel like you’re right alongside Sherlock and Watson."

[quote name='TheSummoner207']I remember someone talking about Push Panic being
a good game a couple days ago, now everybody can try it for the price of free![/QUOTE]

Well worth the $1 so for free its a no brainer!

[quote name='Azuvidexus']I was checking the notes and it seems that you can only connect to computers that are in the same network (it also says that it will be patched at some point to allow access from outside the network).

Edit: Also, Mac support is in beta stage. By reading comments some people say that you need to install something in the computer (sort of LogMeIn and TeamViewer).[/QUOTE]

Nope, you can do it outside your network and on 3G too......... works fine.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Nope, you can do it outside your network and on 3G too......... works fine.[/QUOTE]

What about having to install something on the computer?

For my Macs I pretty much like RemoteTap. It *does* require installing an application on your Macs, but it allows for some pretty nifty features. For example you can select an application either currently running, or even not running, and launch/switch to it via menu on your iPhone, rather then trying to deal with a little version of your Mac's screen(s). You can select which display to look at if you have multiple displays, rather then having to view all of them, or you can view all of them. There's mac-specific keyboards and customizable keyboards. Etc. It's pretty nice. One problem I have with it, and it isn't insignificant, is that it doesn't offer a Mac client to view another Mac running RemoteTap via your computer. Also, it doesn't support Windows, but I'm not running any Windows computers.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']What about having to install something on the computer?[/QUOTE]

yeah, you have to install a program onto your machine....... like I said, it was the only one the did sound streaming from the machine when I bought it.... it was only 99cents when I bought it and with's pretty sweet........ it even resizes your resolution for the ipad

[quote name='crunchewy']Downloading Push Panic. I have no idea what it is, but for free and with good reviews, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

It's outrageously boring, be warned.

Push Panic will be one of the best "free" games you'll ever download.
--------

Also I want to recommend a game called "Run Like Hell." As you may guessed, is a running game, but it has a great visual style (which copies the Uncharted series) and seems to be pretty solid from what I've played. There's a free version, which is the full game.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']yeah, you have to install a program onto your machine....... like I said, it was the only one the did sound streaming from the machine when I bought it.... it was only 99cents when I bought it and with's pretty sweet........ it even resizes your resolution for the ipad[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was checking the description, website and twitter, they had some sort of sale around new year and the app was @ 99c :( Since I bought Remoter I guess I'll keep an eye on the one you recommended until either they have another sale or Mac support comes out of beta.

Push Panic seems pretty great for a free game. I like it. It's easy at 1st, but you have to carefully time things to get Gold, right from the start.

Well, so far I'm having good experience with Remoter. I can't really compare it with other applications since it's the first one I have, but for 99c, it's pretty good.

The only main thing needed is having to enable Screen Sharing, nothing else. Sadly I've only been able to try it out in a LAN, since my main computer is broken, so can't really comment until I get the other computer back. Something else I've noticed is that it's a bit hard to click on stuff that is by the borders of the screen (I end up clicking one of the interface's buttons), so I have to use the virtual trackpad.

The puzzle game Huebris is FREE until the update gets approved (http://itunes.apple.com/app/huebris/id317791256?mt=8).
"The object of the game is to match the blocks with the same color background. There are six different colors, each color with specific valid moves. When pressing a certain block, the valid positions will glow to show where you can make your move.

Might sound easy, but once you take some time on it, you'll discover a very challenging game, with strategies to build and tricky puzzles to solve."

[quote name='mrsamsa']Push Panic seems pretty great for a free game. I like it. It's easy at 1st, but you have to carefully time things to get Gold, right from the start.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to not get gold. Certainly it was pretty much impossible to get anything other then gold on the first several levels and I have yet to get anything but gold on any level. It would seem to require an effort to do worse then that. I did have one gameover, but that was as much due to getting bored as anything else. So far, glad I didn't pay for it. Maybe it gets better later, though. I'll try it some more at some point.

EDIT: the game just screwed me on level 7 or 8 - taps stopped registering for some reason. Game over. Shortly after getting a chain worth more then 50k. So make that two game overs. :)

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Well, so far I'm having good experience with Remoter. I can't really compare it with other applications since it's the first one I have, but for 99c, it's pretty good.

The only main thing needed is having to enable Screen Sharing, nothing else. Sadly I've only been able to try it out in a LAN, since my main computer is broken, so can't really comment until I get the other computer back. Something else I've noticed is that it's a bit hard to click on stuff that is by the borders of the screen (I end up clicking one of the interface's buttons), so I have to use the virtual trackpad.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me that another thing I really like about RemoteTap is that if you press and hold you get a super zoomed in view that you can slide around and then tap to click something with pixel precision, then you're right back to your original zoom.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Well, so far I'm having good experience with Remoter. I can't really compare it with other applications since it's the first one I have, but for 99c, it's pretty good.

The only main thing needed is having to enable Screen Sharing, nothing else. Sadly I've only been able to try it out in a LAN, since my main computer is broken, so can't really comment until I get the other computer back. Something else I've noticed is that it's a bit hard to click on stuff that is by the borders of the screen (I end up clicking one of the interface's buttons), so I have to use the virtual trackpad.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me that another thing I really like about RemoteTap is that if you press and hold you get a super zoomed in view that you can slide around and then tap to click something with pixel precision, then you're right back to your original zoom.

Just wondering... anyone using the remoter or remotetap for PC? Just checked out Remoter's website and they only have setup guides for macs....

[quote name='SirDiealot']Just wondering... anyone using the remoter or remotetap for PC? Just checked out Remoter's website and they only have setup guides for macs....[/QUOTE]

Remoter works on PC, but unlike Macs that come with built in VNC support, you have to install something. There should be information in their website, there's where I read this.

What do you guys think of Carcassone? I've heard good things but it's $10 and doesn't have a lite version. I keep waiting for a sale but I guess it's not coming.

[quote name='findthedeal24']What do you guys think of Carcassone? I've heard good things but it's $10 and doesn't have a lite version. I keep waiting for a sale but I guess it's not coming.[/QUOTE]

It's a really fun game. I have no clue how it translated on to the Touch/phone/pad though. I have it on XBLA and it's a great multiplayer game.

Run Like Hell! has a sequel. Run Like Hell! ICE COLD is now available and it's also FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/run-like-hell-ice-cold/id410549172?mt=8).
"Extreme weather, extreme action - travel from the boiling tropical heat to icy, yeti infested ravines. Get your skates on to outrun an avalanche and savage yeti.
Run Like Hell! ICE COLD is a frantically paced run-and-jump platform game - run, jump, slide, climb and crawl to outrun an avalanche and fearsome Yeti!
Only your lightening reflexes and nerves of steel can save you better Run Like Hell!"

Trade Nations is currently being featured as one of the FAAD offerings (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trade-nations/id379987016?mt=8).
"Create your own small village and grow it into a sprawling city in Trade Nations! Harvest raw resources, refine them, and create goods to amass a fortune. Trade goods and services with your friends to grow even faster. With over 14 different jobs for your villagers to perform, you can fine-tune your village to become as efficient and productive as possible.
• Over 60 buildings and decorations to choose from as you grow from a small village to a bustling city.
• Build houses for your villagers, give them jobs, and create a productive society.
• Participate in a marketplace for goods where prices are driven by true supply and demand!
• Make friends, visit their Nations, and trade resources!
• Manage multiple resources to grow your Nation.
• Use Magic Beans to make jobs complete in record time!

"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Trade Nations is currently being featured as one of the FAAD offerings (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trade-nations/id379987016?mt=8).
"Create your own small village and grow it into a sprawling city in Trade Nations! Harvest raw resources, refine them, and create goods to amass a fortune. Trade goods and services with your friends to grow even faster. With over 14 different jobs for your villagers to perform, you can fine-tune your village to become as efficient and productive as possible.
• Over 60 buildings and decorations to choose from as you grow from a small village to a bustling city.
• Build houses for your villagers, give them jobs, and create a productive society.
• Participate in a marketplace for goods where prices are driven by true supply and demand!

"[/QUOTE]

Hasn't Trade Nations been free since release?

[quote name='Dimsdale']Run Like Hell! has a sequel. Run Like Hell! ICE COLD is now available and it's also FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/run-like-hell-ice-cold/id410549172?mt=8).
"Extreme weather, extreme action - travel from the boiling tropical heat to icy, yeti infested ravines. Get your skates on to outrun an avalanche and savage yeti.
Run Like Hell! ICE COLD is a frantically paced run-and-jump platform game - run, jump, slide, climb and crawl to outrun an avalanche and fearsome Yeti!
Only your lightening reflexes and nerves of steel can save you better Run Like Hell!"

Trade Nations is currently being featured as one of the FAAD offerings (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trade-nations/id379987016?mt=8).

"[/QUOTE]

Dims, thanks for the update on the new Run Like Hell. Lovin the first one and getting part 2 for free is nice. Thank you kind sir!

Thanks for the info. I picked this one up as I've been needing basic VNC support for LAN usage and it looks like it'll do what I need it to do. It is a surprisingly well crafted user interface, to fit most functionality of a mouse and keyboard onto a little touch screen and most everything was still intuitive.

[quote name='findthedeal24']What do you guys think of Carcassone? I've heard good things but it's $10 and doesn't have a lite version. I keep waiting for a sale but I guess it's not coming.[/QUOTE]

It is a pretty fun app. Unfortunately it just recently went up in price when they made it universal to work with the iPad. Currently it is just the base game. You are able to play with friends or against the computer. Placing tiles and workers is easy.

It is a pretty good game, but I am not sure if it is worth $10 (personally I would hold out for a price drop). They are supposed to release the expansions for it as well, but I haven't heard much in terms of a time table.

[quote name='E_G_Man']It is a pretty fun app. Unfortunately it just recently went up in price when they made it universal to work with the iPad. Currently it is just the base game. You are able to play with friends or against the computer. Placing tiles and workers is easy.

It is a pretty good game, but I am not sure if it is worth $10 (personally I would hold out for a price drop). They are supposed to release the expansions for it as well, but I haven't heard much in terms of a time table.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait on a price drop.

[quote name='Dimsdale']This looked pretty interesting:
The Game is Afoot has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-game-is-afoot/id331809028?mt=8).
"Put your examination skills to the test and solve 6 mysteries based on the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle mysteries. BONUS eBook downloads with every case you crack!
Scour the world hunting for hidden clues in two immersive gameplay modes that let YOU become the detective. Test your skills of deduction within 30 unique environments. Think its all “Elementary, my dear?” Download to find out!
DELUXE FEATURES
3-APPS-IN-1: You’ll never get bored with the sleek combination of “Hidden Object” and “Spot the Difference” gameplay modes, plus FREE downloadable Sherlock Holmes short stories.
FREE eBOOKS: Solve a case and download the short story right to your iPhone/iPod Touch. With purchase, you receive Volume I & II, each containing 3 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classics - 6 stories total!
AUTHENTIC GAMEPLAY: Every story is based on an original mystery written by author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. With the photorealistic artwork, you’ll feel like you’re right alongside Sherlock and Watson."[/QUOTE]

Can't find this game in the app store it says "your request can not be completed" when I use the link from here and appshopper. does this happen often? My wife really wants this game.

I think it's worth $10, but certainly glad I paid $5 for it. :) I'm not sure if we'll see a price drop or not. It's a universal app and the dev has stuck to their guns on pricing. They said it would go up to $10 when the universal update was out, and they did exactly that. There's been no sales on it at all except if you consider that initial price a sale, which I suppose it was, so maybe they'll drop it back to $5 at some point. Who knows?

One thing I'm curious about is how they are going to handle the expansions as far as online play is concerned. I mean, in the case that some players don't have it.

[quote name='Stimes']Can't find this game in the app store it says "your request can not be completed" when I use the link from here and appshopper. does this happen often? My wife really wants this game.[/QUOTE]

It happens when games are removed. Doesn't necessarily mean it's gone for good, often times the devs will take an app off to fix it, then put it back.

[quote name='Stimes']Can't find this game in the app store it says "your request can not be completed" when I use the link from here and appshopper. does this happen often? My wife really wants this game.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what happened to the app, either. The Game is Afoot was also featured on Free App Calendar last night and that link was broke, too. The iTunes Store claimed the game wasn't available in the U.S. last night; now, it's not even a missing result. I know the game *was* available, though. I have a copy of it. It plays like a pretty standard missing object / spot the differences puzzler but it's all wrapped up in the context of various Sherlock Holmes stories. Nice artwork and all but the type is REALLY tiny on an iPhone. Maybe it got pulled because of licensing issues with the bonus Holmes eBooks. There doesn't seem to be any objectionable content otherwise.

Reiner Knizia's Through the Desert HD dropped to $3.99. Note that this is iPad-only, but the dev told me it would go universal, like their Labyrinth HD. There is also a cheaper iPhone non-HD version which dropped to $2.99 a while back - it will coexist and not be universal.

HD currently iPad-only version:

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-through-the-desert-hd

Of course who knows if they are really going to follow through with making it universal. I hope they do. The price is not listed as a sale, so perhaps a permanent drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back