iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Speedball 2 Evolution has dropped to .99! I may have to bite on this. . .loves me some Bitmap Brothers nostalgia.
"A brutal, futuristic mixture of football, ice hockey and rugby played at break neck pace.
The Bitmap Brothers’ classic sports game remade for the iPhone generation and its millions of existing fans."

[quote name='MSI Magus']Speedball 2 is free for both Ipad and Iphone and have 5 star reviews[/QUOTE]

Showing $.99 for me for both versions.

[quote name='crunchewy']Stoneship is on sale for 99c. Has anybody played it?

http://appshopper.com/games/stoneship%C2%A0[/QUOTE]

I had it on my wishlist so I picked it up. It plays a little slow and the combat aspect is a little silly. I would have regretted full price for this one.

The maps aren't randomized at all, so it is a bit like a give it your best go and just remember to note the important locations if you fail the first time through. I'm usually a somewhat obsessive completionist, but I can already tell that I wont be going back to gold medal each level if I even finish it at all. The game mechanics just aren't holding my interest so far.

As of right now, I've played through the tutorial levels and most of the first group of campaign maps. It's not bad, but not a must buy either.

The block puzzler Get Me Out is the new FAAD featured game.
"Get Me Out is a elegant, simple and addictive puzzle game. The goal is to get the red block out of the board by sliding the other blocks out of the way. There are 99 levels in total worth hours of playing to keep you challenged."

Another puzzler, Geared, is also currently available for FREE.
"Geared is a radically new and innovative puzzle game; a unique addition to its genre.
The first and only Gear-based game with absolutely no snap-grid. Geared delivers complete and total freedom to the player, bestowing every puzzle with a near infinite array of choices."

Thanks for the input on Stoneship, blue. I think I'll skip it.

I know I'm in the minority in a big way, but for me, Infinity Blade was a waste of money. It's pretty. That's it. Maybe I just don't get it. Probably.

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the input on Stoneship, blue. I think I'll skip it.

I know I'm in the minority in a big way, but for me, Infinity Blade was a waste of money. It's pretty. That's it. Maybe I just don't get it. Probably.[/QUOTE]

I was the same as you for the first few hours until I gave it a good chance then 35 hours later I'm addicted.

I know I'm late to the Tiny Wings discussion, but I love it! It's currently my go-to 5-minutes to spare game.

I had a lot of store credit burning in my pocket so I jumped at NBA Jam for full price. It is definitely my favorite app, well worth the $5. I normally dislike the on-screen dpads but it works very well for me. But yeah, I'm sure it will drop to 99 cents eventually, maybe even within a month or two.

Yoo-Ninja is now free: http://appshopper.com/games/yoo-ninja

Just putting in a plug for Geared; it starts off pretty simple but quickly becomes challenging in the best way possible. I highly recommend both it and its sequel.

Drag an app onto another one to create a folder(hold your finger on an app until they all start shaking to be able to do this)

You should also see an x in the top corner of the app when its shaking. This is how you delete apps.

[quote name='dualedge2']Just keep in mind that you can only store 12 apps per folder.[/QUOTE]

Bah whats the point in that when I have like 200 games! ;) Is there any way to lock a folder so people can not access it?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks bought it!

Stupid question from a new Ipad user. Is there any way to put your apps in to folders or anything? Like all my games go in 1 folder vs taking up like 10 pages? Also how do I delete them short of going in to settings?[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have the latest iOS update, and then just drag one app onto another. Touch and hold the app until it shakes and an x appears on the top corner. Then you drag it on another app to make the folder. Hitting the x is how you delete an app you don't want.

[quote name='Darknuke']SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I am a huge security nut when it comes to keeping my computer safe. I honestly have no idea how a hacker got my password. I suspect it's an app I ran on my phone. They went and spent $30 of my remaining $31 I had in gift card money.

The hacker went and spent the money on this game. I never downloaded that game, but I suspect that company is who is to blame for the hacks. The review there is one that I made ;).

iTunes did refund me my gift card money and I changed my password. If it happens again, it is definitely an app. I ran every security program I had at full scan and it came up with a few cookies and stuff. Nothing serious. But I cleaned it out anyway. Guess I'll be clearing my iPhone if it does happen again =/.[/QUOTE]

Got hit this morning by a hacker - same deal, same chinese game purchased plus $19.99 worth of credits for that game (I had $20.80 in my account). I'm convinced that some other app on my phone was the culprit

[quote name='MSI Magus']Bah whats the point in that when I have like 200 games! ;) Is there any way to lock a folder so people can not access it?[/QUOTE]

Use categories. Make a folder for Platformers, one for RPGs, etc. If need be, make two for a category. It works well enough. I use to have a jailbreak hack that let you put as many apps as you wanted to into a folder, called Folder Enhancer, and so if you jailbreak you can use that... but I've since stopped using it. It wasn't the only reason I removed it, but I think it slowed down the display of folders, which I wasn't crazy about.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Got hit this morning by a hacker - same deal, same chinese game purchased plus $19.99 worth of credits for that game (I had $20.80 in my account). I'm convinced that some other app on my phone was the culprit[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is an app that causes the hack. Apple really needs to shut down that company's apps. It's obvious that they are the culprit for all the hacking that's happening.

The iPad-only Blackrat 2 is currently available for FREE.
"In Black Rat chapter 2 "Requiem For A Rat", the story delves into the Black Rat's history. Learn why the Black Rat ended up the way he did and why he craves justice so intensely. This difference spotting game is a continuation of "In The Year Of The Rat" illustrated by Stephen Baskervill."

What is the best app on the Ipad to watch movies or is better to just use Handbrake to convert them to Ipad friendly format?

[quote name='CAG 79']What is the best app on the Ipad to watch movies or is better to just use Handbrake to convert them to Ipad friendly format?[/QUOTE]

if you mean an app for streaming on your network- air video is good. but, i think the next ios update coming out soon will allow you to stream using airplay

[quote name='CAG 79']What is the best app on the Ipad to watch movies or is better to just use Handbrake to convert them to Ipad friendly format?[/QUOTE]

Netflix

Their instant viewing library gets better every single day. I was watching a movie on my ps3 a few days ago, stopped it mid-way through, and later when I launched Netflix on my phone, I resumed from the moment I left off.

There was an free awesome VLC app but some douche got It removed.

[quote name='DtotheP']Netflix

Their instant viewing library gets better every single day. I was watching a movie on my ps3 a few days ago, stopped it mid-way through, and later when I launched Netflix on my phone, I resumed from the moment I left off.

There was an free awesome VLC app but some douche got It removed.[/QUOTE]

By douche you mean one of the code contributors to VLC. You should really just blame Apple's store being incompatible with the GPL. And it's still available if you're jailbroken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Handbrake is a great application, at least on the Mac. It works great if you want to convert a DVD and want to have the movies stored on your iPad/iPhone, for a trip or whatever. Well, I don't have an iPad yet, but have used it for my iPhone.

+1 for Handbrake as best free video converter
My favorite converter is Wondershare but it costs $65+. Worth it if you want to convert a large number of dvds (I used it on several complete anime series dvds).

So there's no other standalone non-streaming video player for non-jailbroken devices?

A pity VLC had to be taken down.

I put a few hours into 7th guest and its pretty fun though it's a pretty rough port of the original. The I-phone version at least has some touch registration issues.

man oh man...so I gotta say how exhausted I am right now. I decided to finally try out some Slingo Supreme (that I dwnlded a couple weeks back when u guys were raving about it) right before bed last night... 2 hours later I finally pass out! Wow ridiculously addicting...

[quote name='MSI Magus']Bah whats the point in that when I have like 200 games! ;) Is there any way to lock a folder so people can not access it?[/QUOTE]

I think Folder Enhancer is a better option over categories if you're running 4.0 or higher. Also, I believe lockdown allows the user to place passwords on apps. Both apps are only available if you jailbreak.

Oh god, Infinity Blade is consuming my life again. After the latest update pack, I completed 7 more bloodlines to max out all weapons and have now started a New Game+. Right now I'm 4 bloodlines in and there's no end in sight. Best $6 I've ever spent on any game.

Also, anxiously awaiting World of Goo (iPhone).

Fastball 2 is the new FAAD featured title.
"FastBall is back and is faster, fun and addictive than ever...
In FastBall, you control a rolling ball. In his way, there are many obstacles and his only ability is to jump. This is where he needs you, you'll make him jump by tapping the screen.
With this simple mechanic, FastBall 2 contains 105 action packed levels spawned across 3 level packs. Through the levels, you'll need a good timing, pure attention as well as decisions on which path to follow to reach the level end."

Penguin Airborne is also one of the new FAAD games right now.
"Get ready soldier!
Survive the parachute training and become the general!
Only five of the best recruits were selected for the final deadly test. Jump from the ledge and land first. Don't be last because the army likes to drop exploding bombs on whoever lands last.
Penguin Airborne is a thrilling and exciting indie parachute jumping game. Choose from 3 unique looking penguins and try to become a general. Use the accelerometer to steer left and right to collect valuable stars.
Remember style counts! Try to be the fastest penguin and you may survive."

Traverse is the current OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Traverse is an innovative new puzzle game the likes of which has never been seen before. Traverse your way through 120 levels in this addicting and challenging puzzle game. Compare your scores online to see your puzzle skills vs. others."

Dark Raider
is also available for FREE once again.
"Dark Raider is a remake of the classic Atari/Amiga game, Time Bandit. Explore a fantasy world full of castles, tombs, pyramids, arenas, mazes and forests. Unlike other twin stick shooter games, Dark Raider features fully interactive environments with puzzles, and large levels with secret areas."

I am sure everyone here probably has this by now but...

Minigore dropped to FREE.

016249.png

http://appshopper.com/games/minigore

Just to chime in on Minigore ... I found Age of Zombies to be about a thousand times more entertaining. The writing is childish but witty and it was just way more fun. I realize that Minigore is free on iPhone/touch but anyone considering the HD version for .99 should check out Age of Zombies, which is a Universal App and much much more fun imo.

[quote name='etcrane']Just to chime in on Minigore ... I found Age of Zombies to be about a thousand times more entertaining. The writing is childish but witty and it was just way more fun. I realize that Minigore is free on iPhone/touch but anyone considering the HD version for .99 should check out Age of Zombies, which is a Universal App and much much more fun imo.[/QUOTE]

I feel that way about guerilla bob, which is still $1, and even features a minigore cameo.

App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back