iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I have several of the Inotia dev's RPGs and also haven't really played any of them. One of the main reason is that I really didn't care for the controls. They don't seem very good to me, and I found it a bit annoying. I'm sure they are good games, but I wish they had tighter controls. Also, even good RPGs I tend to abandon and then when I go back to them I don't recall what I'm supposed to be doing and trying to figure that it doesn't seem worth the trouble and starting over seems even worse.

I'm going to check out the Bulba the Cat Lite version and see what that's all about. Also downloading Big Fish (Fishing) - curious name - for free.

EA seems like they are trying to gouge new iPad customers. All of their games have been lower, many times, then their current "sale" prices. I guess it's better then nothing, but for example, Reckless Racing HD has been 99c and in this sale they want $2.99. Oh well.

[quote name='MSI Magus']BTW have not seen people here mention

Dead Space on sale for $7
Flight Control HD on sale for $1[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the regular price for Dead Space?

[quote name='icarusmight']Isn't that the regular price for Dead Space?[/QUOTE]

He forgot to mention that it's the iPad version which is regularly $10.

Man I do not see all the love for the IPad version of Dead Space. It is not bad, but people made it sound like it will make you feel like your playing the console version....all I could think was Christ I want a controller.

Bit on Flight Control HD and Inotia 3 (even though I have a big backlog of rpg's). Will wait for a larger price drop on Dead Space.

Thanks for sharing deals!

Yeah I'm not buying Dead Space till it's $3 or less. It looks gorgeous and probably plays well enough, but I can't justify spending $7+ on games anymore. Chaos Rings and Infinity Blade were my last uber-expenditures for games.

Lying Liar's Dice is FREE for a very limited time.
"Lying Liar’s Dice is a port of the classic bar game Liar’s Dice. Realistic, streamlined game play, challenging computer opponents, unique game play modes, and a detailed interactive tutorial to teach you how to play highlight this iPhone adaptation. This is the perfect app for brand new and experienced Liar’s Dice players from around the world."

A couple of additional iPad game price drops (stolen from TouchArcade):

HEAVY GUNNER 3D for iPad
Price Drop
$2.99 -> $0.99

HOMERUN BATTLE 3D for iPad

Price Drop
$4.99 -> $0.99

[quote name='Darknuke']Yeah I'm not buying Dead Space till it's $3 or less. It looks gorgeous and probably plays well enough, but I can't justify spending $7+ on games anymore. Chaos Rings and Infinity Blade were my last uber-expenditures for games.[/QUOTE]

If you wanted to change your mind you probably wouldn't regret it. Dead Space is fantastic and well worth the price.

It appears that the Dungeon Hunter 2 sale will include the iPad version. Yeah! Looks like a likely purchase for a new iPad... at least if I ever get around to trying the lite version to see if it's any good. Hmm. Will try to do that before the 12th!

By the way, EA Flash Deals on Facebook is giving away an iPad loaded with all the EA games. I'm not sure, however, why I'm telling you this, since you'll just bring my chances of winning down. :) :)

[quote name='Dimsdale']Lying Liar's Dice is FREE for a very limited time.
"Lying Liar’s Dice is a port of the classic bar game Liar’s Dice. Realistic, streamlined game play, challenging computer opponents, unique game play modes, and a detailed interactive tutorial to teach you how to play highlight this iPhone adaptation. This is the perfect app for brand new and experienced Liar’s Dice players from around the world."
[/QUOTE]

iPad version: Lying Liar's Dice Deluxe (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lying-liars-dice-deluxe/id420933765?mt=8) also free!

[quote name='omyard']If you wanted to change your mind you probably wouldn't regret it. Dead Space is fantastic and well worth the price.[/QUOTE]

It's not that I don't really think it's worth that much. I just have an ass load of backlog and I don't think it's worth putting into my backlog at that price. I barely played Infinity Blade before it went on sale and I had it for like 3 weeks before then.

It's just not worth picking up those super expensive games at full price or minor sale prices when I know they'll go cheaper and I know I wouldn't fully get around to them for a while anyway.

I plan on picking up an iPad 2, but I am very annoyed by Amazon's lack of any word on whether they will have it up for sale when it is officially released or not...

I really don't want to pay sales tax.
Or deal with potential in-store nonsense.
Or pay sales tax.
Did I mention I don't want to pay sales tax? ...because I don't.
And I look forward to not giving any money to the state of IL on a large purchase too.

[quote name='Kush']I plan on picking up an iPad 2, but I am very annoyed by Amazon's lack of any word on whether they will have it up for sale when it is officially released or not...[/QUOTE]

It's not Amazon's fault, Apple probably has them in the dark. It's officially on sale on March 11, but I don't recall Apple saying where (other than the Apple Stores and AT&T/Verizon).

[quote name='Kush']
And I look forward to not giving any money to the state of IL on a large purchase too.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. 

[quote name='Kush']I plan on picking up an iPad 2, but I am very annoyed by Amazon's lack of any word on whether they will have it up for sale when it is officially released or not...

I really don't want to pay sales tax.
Or deal with potential in-store nonsense.
Or pay sales tax.
Did I mention I don't want to pay sales tax? ...because I don't.
And I look forward to not giving any money to the state of IL on a large purchase too.[/QUOTE]

fyi - amazon has never officially sold the first ipad, so dont hold your breath.

[quote name='orntar']fyi - amazon has never officially sold the first ipad, so dont hold your breath.[/QUOTE]
I know... which means Best Buy will likely be my choice, so I can at least use my RZ card.

I am very curious as to how everything will do down... will it be crowded, or will it be a bit of a whimper at a random Best Buy? This is all rather annoying.

[quote name='Kush']I know... which means Best Buy will likely be my choice, so I can at least use my RZ card.

I am very curious as to how everything will do down... will it be crowded, or will it be a bit of a whimper at a random Best Buy? This is all rather annoying.[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. One one hand Apple has definantly upped its distribution given the competition it is facing and will face in the upcoming year. It helps them to get as many iPad2s out before people can start considering the Android, WebOS and other tablets. On the other hand the iPad2 has alot of people who sat out the first time (like me due to it being a first generation product), people upgrading their iPad, or other new customers.

I often by those Best Buy extended warranties and have greatly benefited from it most of the time but the iPad one was costly and so the iPad 2 one is likely to be costly too. Think it will be worth it to buy that warranty? Its the accidental dmg one.

[quote name='Alcedes']Does anyone know if Target will let you use the 5% card on the ipad2?[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure you can use it on anything except rx. I just bought some psn cards and it even worked on that

[quote name='BREVITY']I often by those Best Buy extended warranties and have greatly benefited from it most of the time but the iPad one was costly and so the iPad 2 one is likely to be costly too. Think it will be worth it to buy that warranty? Its the accidental dmg one.[/QUOTE]

if you feel like you need a warranty apple care would be better. you don't have to buy it right away, can wait up until right before the 1 yr warranty expires. Im pretty sure Best Buy's warranty replaces your ipad with a refurbished one if it breaks...i'd much rather get a replacement from apple then the geek squad. Im not a fan of their service. Applecare doesn't cover accidents, but the ipad is pretty durable.

personally, I wouldn't buy any warranty, at least until you've had it for a while. My wife's actually did just break and Apple replaced it on the spot with a brand new one.

[quote name='BREVITY']I often by those Best Buy extended warranties and have greatly benefited from it most of the time but the iPad one was costly and so the iPad 2 one is likely to be costly too. Think it will be worth it to buy that warranty? Its the accidental dmg one.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to get a warrenty, I'd reccomend Squaretrade. Cheaper than most warrenties and they give pretty good coverage. Worth looking into.

So what is everyone planning on picking up tomorrow? And yes, I realize there's a discussion thread and this is a deal thread but it's the night before launch and I don't give a damn ;)

Anyone think 64 gigs is overkill? I'm leaning towards the 32 gig model w/o 3g ... how bout you guys?

"w/o" to me means "without". You will have a hard time finding one without wifi. ;)

I've decided not to buy it tomorrow. I'm going to go look at them on Saturday so I can decide on the color. If they happen to have at 32 or 64 GB with 3G in the color I end up wanting I'll buy it. If not I'll order online.

[quote name='crunchewy']"w/o" to me means "without". You will have a hard time finding one without wifi. ;)

I've decided not to buy it tomorrow. I'm going to go look at them on Saturday so I can decide on the color. If they happen to have at 32 or 64 GB with 3G in the color I end up wanting I'll buy it. If not I'll order online.[/QUOTE]

Ha, one step ahead of you, already corrected it, so I have no idea what you're referring to Crunch ;)

Yeah, I'm just a sucker for the launch chaos and I specifically waited it out for the second gen rather than the 1st iPad, so I'm throwing myself into the fray tomorrow afternoon.

I plan to wait till some of the better cases and screen protectors are released before I pick up a 32 GB WiFi only model (color still to be determined) but probably black as I do not want bright white edges when I am watching a movie in the dark. I would avoid the 16 GB as I had one of those for the first iPad and filled it up right away with Comic Books and games so I ended up selling it to a friend and got a 32 GB and did not have the same issues. Lucky for me my 32 GB ended up having dead pixels so I was able to return it for a refund around the time the rumors for iPad 2 were starting so I decided to hold off on a replacement and now I get the current model for the same price.

I would recommend 64 GB, I sadly have only 16 GB and I have to delete games every day just to keep up with this thread. It's a good investment, I would also recommend warranty through Apple my first one had to be replaced and it was fast and easy.

[quote name='etcrane']So what is everyone planning on picking up tomorrow? And yes, I realize there's a discussion thread and this is a deal thread but it's the night before launch and I don't give a damn ;)

Anyone think 64 gigs is overkill? I'm leaning towards the 32 gig model w/o 3g ... how bout you guys?[/QUOTE]

I have the original pad 64 gig (its actually 59) and i have over 500 apps 2 full movies on it and have 10gigs of free space. You cant upgrade the memory EVER so if you can afford it get the 64g. Also if you have the money I would get the 3g. I take my ipad everywhere and i'm always online which is pretty awesome.

I'm thinking about upgrading from a 32GB 3g+wifi black G1 to a G2 White one of the same.

Any ideas on whether I can transfer the sim(and therefore the unlimited data plan) over to the new one?

[quote name='gamercheap5']I have the original pad 64 gig (its actually 59) and i have over 500 apps 2 full movies on it and have 10gigs of free space. You cant upgrade the memory EVER so if you can afford it get the 64g. Also if you have the money I would get the 3g. I take my ipad everywhere and i'm always online which is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Good point about the memory, I think I'm still going with the wifi only model simply because I plan to upgrade from my current 3GS to an iphone 5 at some point and could then use the new hotspot feature built into the iOS right? I can survive on wifi until then, as I'll mostly only have my iPad at home and coffee shops, at least from what I anticipate.

So I kinda already know the answer to this, but since I actually care about iPad apps now (zing :) ), there's a snowballs chance in hell that any of Apple's 1st party apps will go on sale right? Like Pages or Keynote ... so I should just pony up the $9.99 w/o hesitation right?

[quote name='Stimes']Lol[/QUOTE]

Exactly, those damn iPad people clogging the thread ... glad I'm going to be an iPad 2 user, which is ENTIRELY different, what with the cameras and the lightness and the magicalness ... ;)

Enigmo 2 and iStunt Reloaded Pro are among the new FAAD featured games.
"The best puzzle game for the iPhone has entered a new dimension! Enigmo 2 is the successor to our award winning puzzle game, Enigmo. There are streams of falling water droplets, plasma and laser beams, and your goal is to get them into their container by using the various puzzle piece that you are given. Enigmo 2 goes to a new dimension as the puzzles are now three-dimensional! We've also added tons of new gameplay elements including lasers, plasma, gravetoids, teleporters, gravity inverters, etc. There are 50 all new levels in Enigmo 2, and an awesome music soundtrack!"

"iStunt is an addictive 2D Snowboard action-packed game with a strong emphasis on physics.
Traverse 60 different, surreal levels in an attempt to either score as many points as possible by pulling off amazing stunts (Stunt Mode) or getting to the finish line as quick as possible (Time Trial Mode). Achievements are included with OpenFeint!
Making things even more interesting is the occasional gravity inversion field which requires physically rotating the device 180-degrees to get back on track."

NSD Powerball
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"NSD Powerball is a revolutionary new Gyroscope which literally explodes with mind numbing inertial forces once you activate its internal rotor!
How fast can you spin it?
An inbuilt speed meter makes it impossible to put down because you'll always want to beat your own high score or those of your friends, making NSD Powerball iPhone a seriously entertaining & fiendishly addictive way to exercise and get stronger!"

Magic Gem
is being featured by Great App a Day right now.
"Led the team of your adventure, to mysterious sea, looking for lost treasure.
If you like swapping and matching jewels then you will love magic gem.
5 game modes, Not only the classic mode, there are more new mode.
★ Classic
- Matching as soon as possible to eliminate jewels, get more time to challenge a higher level.
★ Time Attack
- 2 minutes time limit, matching to eliminate more of the jewels, the challenges higher scores.
★ Cloning Attack
- New game mode to clone 50 different jewels patterns.
★ Task Mode
- Collect the specified number of jewels. Accomplish more tasks.
★ Challenges
- Collection of pirate coins, looking for lost treasure. More use of special jewels, speed up the collection rate."

[quote name='crunchewy']It appears that the Dungeon Hunter 2 sale will include the iPad version. Yeah! Looks like a likely purchase for a new iPad... at least if I ever get around to trying the lite version to see if it's any good. Hmm. Will try to do that before the 12th![/QUOTE]

So it is going to be on sale, huh? I, apparently missed this! yay!

Am I the only one who sees the iPad as being completely idiotic? It's a glorified geriatric iPod touch for people who need glasses...

And a camera?? "oh here, just let me pull out my magazine sized tablet here and line up the shot..."

I'm all for apple products; love my iPhone 4 and MacBook pro, but the iPad just seems like it's there to make money..no purpose.

In other douchebaggery, can we please get some new apps to the marketplace that ate of decent quality? None of this freeware shit...

Let's get some more games ala Beneath a Steel Sky, etc. Games that aren't all simplistic and colorful...

And for Christsakes...Dead Space...GO ON fuckIN SALE ALREADY!!!

Damn...long day; /vent

[quote name='Dimsdale']Enigmo 2 and iStunt Reloaded Pro are among the new FAAD featured games.
"The best puzzle game for the iPhone has entered a new dimension! Enigmo 2 is the successor to our award winning puzzle game, Enigmo. There are streams of falling water droplets, plasma and laser beams, and your goal is to get them into their container by using the various puzzle piece that you are given. Enigmo 2 goes to a new dimension as the puzzles are now three-dimensional! We've also added tons of new gameplay elements including lasers, plasma, gravetoids, teleporters, gravity inverters, etc. There are 50 all new levels in Enigmo 2, and an awesome music soundtrack!"

"iStunt is an addictive 2D Snowboard action-packed game with a strong emphasis on physics.
Traverse 60 different, surreal levels in an attempt to either score as many points as possible by pulling off amazing stunts (Stunt Mode) or getting to the finish line as quick as possible (Time Trial Mode). Achievements are included with OpenFeint!
Making things even more interesting is the occasional gravity inversion field which requires physically rotating the device 180-degrees to get back on track."

NSD Powerball
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"NSD Powerball is a revolutionary new Gyroscope which literally explodes with mind numbing inertial forces once you activate its internal rotor!
How fast can you spin it?
An inbuilt speed meter makes it impossible to put down because you'll always want to beat your own high score or those of your friends, making NSD Powerball iPhone a seriously entertaining & fiendishly addictive way to exercise and get stronger!"

Magic Gem
is being featured by Great App a Day right now.
"Led the team of your adventure, to mysterious sea, looking for lost treasure.
If you like swapping and matching jewels then you will love magic gem.
5 game modes, Not only the classic mode, there are more new mode.
★ Classic
- Matching as soon as possible to eliminate jewels, get more time to challenge a higher level.
★ Time Attack
- 2 minutes time limit, matching to eliminate more of the jewels, the challenges higher scores.
★ Cloning Attack
- New game mode to clone 50 different jewels patterns.
★ Task Mode
- Collect the specified number of jewels. Accomplish more tasks.
★ Challenges
- Collection of pirate coins, looking for lost treasure. More use of special jewels, speed up the collection rate."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for Enigmo!

[quote name='jcp42877']Am I the only one who sees the iPad as being completely idiotic? It's a glorified geriatric iPod touch for people who need glasses...

And a camera?? "oh here, just let me pull out my magazine sized tablet here and line up the shot..."

I'm all for apple products; love my iPhone 4 and MacBook pro, but the iPad just seems like it's there to make money..no purpose.

In other douchebaggery, can we please get some new apps to the marketplace that ate of decent quality? None of this freeware shit...

Let's get some more games ala Beneath a Steel Sky, etc. Games that aren't all simplistic and colorful...

And for Christsakes...Dead Space...GO ON fuckIN SALE ALREADY!!!

Damn...long day; /vent[/QUOTE]Thing is iPod touch is an excellent product. iPad is a great device for most people who are on the go like college students or business folks who do not want to take their laptops with them. It is light, easy to use and convenient but it is also extremely overpriced.

I just bought an iPad.

It's just more efficient and pleasant computing.

That's pretty much it.

You can't do many things with an iPhone that you can do with a iPad.
You can do all of them on a PC mostly, but often it's not as efficient or pleasant.

It's pretty simply guys. And not really overpriced, given that competition has been higher than Apple in price so far.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Thing is iPod touch is an excellent product. iPad is a great device for most people who are on the go like college students or business folks who do not want to take their laptops with them. It is light, easy to use and convenient but it is also extremely overpriced.[/QUOTE]

My University library checks iPads out to students and I gave it a try. I don't see the point to it other than to watch Netflix. I rarely see people in class with them and even then they are simply looking at a PDF or slides. I am a PC guy and I would much rather spend the money and get a Macbook Air or Pro instead of the iPad, I see no point to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back