iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Dimsdale']

Undead Attack! Pinball HD
for the iPad (only) has dropped back down to .99 for the time being.
"Tired of fighting the undead hordes with the usual tools of destruction? That old rusted chainsaw just isn’t “cutting it” any more? So get ready for the next level of undead killing machinery with Undead Attack! Pinball HD.
Yes you read it right, it’s a pinball and it has undead monsters! Run over the hordes of evil with two types of special undead purging balls, use the scenery and the iPad accelerometer to your advantage and defend the gate at any cost!"

[/QUOTE]
This game is great, thank you.

Q*Bert Deluxe has dropped down to .99 for the first time in almost a year.
"Q*bert is back! After more than 25 years, the colorful, lovable, jumpy arcade character of the 80's is now available on iPhone and iPod Touch. And he's got his very own blog too at www.qbert.com!
Arcade, Modern or Jungle Theme with all new maps – Q*bert is ready to play your way. Kick it old school and play retro Q*bert in Arcade mode with authentic graphics and gameplay through 20 rounds across 5 challenging levels. Or, if you prefer your Q*bert smooooth, choose Modern mode for updated graphics. That's just the beginning… all new maps are playable with new graphic themes – Jungle is the first, regular updates will bring new themes and gameplay!"

Rico: Mercenary for Hire
is FREE for a limited time.
"Take on the role of Rico, a hired mercenary and expert sharpshooter, as you accept challenging assignments to take out as many targets as you can!
Armed with a powerful gun and special ammo, use the environment at hand to ricochet your bullets against the walls and platforms. The more targets you take out with a single shot, or the more your bullets ricochet around the area, the higher your earnings become.
But, be careful! Many of these environments can be tricky and may take a combination of precision, patience, speed, or luck to succeed. With your earnings, you can buy more bullets and/or upgrade your gun to take on even more difficult assignments."

[quote name='DtotheP']Future DJ has that, and is still on sale for $2.

App Store

To the guy that wanted an iPad equivalent, the people that make flare scratch have an iPad app called baby decks dj (which is like tap dj) and there is also Djay for the iPad (which is like future dj) but they are, respectively, $25 and $20.[/QUOTE]
I got TapDJ and I have to admit, Future DJ looks pretty cool. I had a bit of fun messing around with TapDJ, but I don't know anything about DJing and making stuff sound good and EQs and stuff, so it makes me a bit reluctant to get Future DJ.

[quote name='petersa1d']I really do hope all the games that are supposedly going towards Japan really do follow through..[/QUOTE]

I am sure they will after all it's a tax write off.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Q*Bert Deluxe has dropped down to .99 for the first time in almost a year.
"Q*bert is back! After more than 25 years, the colorful, lovable, jumpy arcade character of the 80's is now available on iPhone and iPod Touch. And he's got his very own blog too at www.qbert.com!
Arcade, Modern or Jungle Theme with all new maps – Q*bert is ready to play your way. Kick it old school and play retro Q*bert in Arcade mode with authentic graphics and gameplay through 20 rounds across 5 challenging levels. Or, if you prefer your Q*bert smooooth, choose Modern mode for updated graphics. That's just the beginning… all new maps are playable with new graphic themes – Jungle is the first, regular updates will bring new themes and gameplay!"
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I love Q*bert, but the control seems a little wonky. It may just be me, though, probably just takes getting used to the virtual stick. Solid value for .99 though!!

In for Plants vs. Zombies HD and Escape Rosecliff Manor HD for $1.99 each and... what the heck, tossed Chuzzle into the mix too. Maybe I'll enjoy it, and the profits go to Japan, so figured I'd give it a shot for 99 cents.

Also in for Mysteriez for $0.00, even though that name is obnoxious.

[quote name='keithp']Thanks! I love Q*bert, but the control seems a little wonky. It may just be me, though, probably just takes getting used to the virtual stick. Solid value for .99 though!![/QUOTE]

Got this one too, I like it. Already have more than 4 quarters worth of plays on it, controls do take getting used to but works fine, you can swipe anywhere your not really confined to the virtual stick. If you grew up with this game like I did you will enjoy this game. Works good with X2 size on the iPad, looks a little small on the iPod though.

Smash some bricks on your iPad Arkanoid-style with Stackster HD, FREE for a limited time.
"Classic Arcade Game action is back and better then ever in Stackster - The Classic Brick Breaking game in HD! Retro Arcade action returns!
With 90 levels of classic arcade action and a huge selection of power ups to keep you smashing your way from level to level. Relive the classic game play of yesteryear with graphics and sounds of today on the go. "

The puzzler Kanoodle 101 has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Kanoodle is an innovative game that enhances hand-eye coordination, improves cognitive logic skills, and trains short-term memory. Playing the Kanoodle is like doing a Yoga exercise with your brain. It tickles your brain with an easy level puzzle that you can solve in a minute. But don’t be fooled – it is just a warm up exercise to prepare you for more challenging puzzles ahead. When you play the more challenging level puzzles, it will give your brain a good stretch for hours, even days. But when you complete the puzzle, you will feel like a genius with a fantastic sense of achievement and you're ready to move onto the next puzzle."

Dracula The Path of the Dragon – Part 2 HD (for iPad only) has also dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Voices and text in English.
The Story : September 1920, the Vatican appoints Father Arno Moriani, the "Devil's Advocate", to investigate a potential candidate for sainthood in Transylvania. But in the shadows of the disturbing ruins that were once Vlad the Impaler's castle, his investigation takes an unexpected turn...
There is obviously no such thing as vampires... at least according to the official line of the Catholic
Church. But how can you be so sure, standing in the swirling mists of Transylvania ?
Carry out your investigation amidst tales of bloody deeds and ancestral fears. Doubts start clouding
your mind and doubt begets fear...
The Game : A Point&Click Adventure using a 360° engine, the same used in Jules Verne, Return to Mysterious Island.
You play Father Arno and you help him investigate in the mysterious city of Vladoviste.
This is the second Part of a 3 parts Adventure."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EYEL1NER']I got TapDJ and I have to admit, Future DJ looks pretty cool. I had a bit of fun messing around with TapDJ, but I don't know anything about DJing and making stuff sound good and EQs and stuff, so it makes me a bit reluctant to get Future DJ.[/QUOTE]

Future dj is WAY easier to mix with than tap dj, but tap dj is more tactile. I've got both and I play with them more than pretty much anything else, though I prefer tap dj, maybe because I like records.

On a side note, I'm really considering beatmaker 2 at $20. Heaven help me.

[quote name='DtotheP']Future dj is WAY easier to mix with than tap dj[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing that is because of the auto beat-matching?

Is there any way to strip out vocals? I don't even know if that is easy for a program to do or not. I do not that at my grandmother's house when I was younger was a record player/tape player/stereo combo. If I adjusted all of the EQ knobs just right, I could get the music playing with very low vocals. But I don't know if that is feasible to do with how music is recorded now or anything. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to A/V stuff, even though public address systems and dealing with mixers and stuff is part of my job.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I'm guessing that is because of the auto beat-matching?

Is there any way to strip out vocals?[/QUOTE]

#1. yes.

#2. these apps can't but there are a couple karaoke apps that do that, though it's probably similar to a karaoke button on a boom box in application. Instrumentals aren't terribly hard to find though.

[quote name='DtotheP']#1. yes.

#2. these apps can't but there are a couple karaoke apps that do that, though it's probably similar to a karaoke button on a boom box in application. Instrumentals aren't terribly hard to find though.[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm...
I might pick up Future DJ also.

Thanks for the app sales everyone. Picked up an iPad 2 today and will be looking forward to following this thread. Any suggestions for must have apps? I'm new to iOS and have an android phone.

I'd love to pick up Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, and Infinity Blade but the latter two I just missed the sales and not sure if I should wait on the last. Any opinions on Settlers HD? It's .99 cents.

Alpine Crawler Desert is the new FAAD featured game.
"The new episode of the highly successful Alpine Crawler series, the sequel of Alpine Crawler World and the prequel of Alpine Crawler Wild.
Alpine Crawler Desert is an Off Road simulation with real time physics."

Amazing Sudoku is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"A game of logic and concentration! Strain your brain and enjoy impressive graphics and infinite game play!
✭ TWO FLAVORS OF SUDOKU
Classic Sudoku and Magic Sudoku with different levels so both skilled Sudoku players and novices will definitely like it. "

Zombie&Lawn
is being featured for FREE by Great App a Day right now.
"Thomas and his family move to a secluded house, but the neighborhood seems a little strange.
There are unidentified tombstones around the house... And the area is eerie.
It turns out that the house is sitting on what used to be a cemetery.
But Thomas'mom orders him to mow the lawn around the house every day and keep a log in his diary.
If he doesn't work, he won’t be getting any allowance.
Thomas starts to follow the order since the day he receives the diary...
However, there are zombies hiding in the lawn and Thomas has to fight them in order to get the job done....
Now, let's help Thomas defeat the zombies!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The "little puzzle game" Lost Frog is available for FREE for a limited time.
"Lost Frog is little puzzle game. There are totally 60 levels in the game. In each level, you need to build a bridge using tiles provided in this level. There are two types of tiles: fixed and unfixed. For fixed position tiles, you have to use them to build the bridge otherwise the frog will not go back home.
This is not a difficult game but you still need use your brain to help our little frog to find its way home. in each level, you will get a score which is based on how soon you could build the bridge.
There will be more and more levels in the coming update and game center and open feint will be added into the game soon also."

Crazy John, an excerpt from the All-in-1 Gamebox 2, is currently available for FREE.
"In the aftermath of total global nuclear warfare, humanity abandoned the surface of the earth, and relocated to a network of underground tunnels…
Those few that remained above were contaminated by radioactive dust.
The results were… horrifying…
One man wasn't about to give up on the place he still called home.
They called him crazy… Crazy John..."

Also purchased "Plants vs. Zomies", "Sudoku HD", "Pinball HD" and "Chicken Balls HD" for the iPad. Anyone know if "Flight Control HD" is easy for an 8-year-old?

[quote name='Dimsdale']Crazy John, an excerpt from the All-in-1 Gamebox 2, is currently available for FREE.
"In the aftermath of total global nuclear warfare, humanity abandoned the surface of the earth, and relocated to a network of underground tunnels…
Those few that remained above were contaminated by radioactive dust.
The results were… horrifying…
One man wasn't about to give up on the place he still called home.
They called him crazy… Crazy John..."[/QUOTE]

Saw this come through on my AppShopper. Another win for the patient cheapassgamer! :D

I completely forgot to do an impression for Kira Kira earlier. My apologies.

So far, it's pretty decent. I haven't made it up to the first decision quite yet, but I'm getting there. It does support multitasking which is always a plus with this type of game. There are save slots like in PC visual novels so you can save before the major decision(s) so you can unlock all the scenes. If you accidentally quit out of the game (as in close it out from the task bar), there is a quick save slot that will load the game up from around the same point you were last left at.

As for the story, I'm not very far right now so I can't really comment too much on it. Then again, I suppose all visual novels pretty much have the same basic premise so if you're not a fan of that, then stay away. Also, a plus is that all the girls are fully voiced (from what I can tell). The only problem is that it kinda adds to the size of the game (1.18 GB installed).

Also, if any of you are familiar with romantic anime/manga, then all the archetypes are filled (well, at least two are as I've only met two of the girls). The one thing about it that I'm not a fan of (and this is just my personal opinion) are the character designs. Don't get me wrong, the art is sharp and great on the retina display. I just don't like the character designs. The game is supposed to follow high school students, but a lot of the girls look like they're more suited to be in middle school. Seriously, the two girls the main character has interacted with just look really, REALLY young.

Another thing, while the game is fully translated, there ARE grammar mistakes here and there along with typos (not many typos that I've seen). It's not a big deal since the sentence still makes sense and it's easy to figure out what it's trying to say. If you're a stickler for grammar, you may want to avoid this.

As for music, the few vocal tracks I've heard suit the game well. As this game seems to be going toward a musical background love story, I expect that it'll have catchier tunes. The various theme songs seem to suit the mood but is usually forgettable (maybe I pay more attention to the sound effects and reading). There are also sound effects for the environment to set the mood (if you're character is on a swing, you'll hear the creaks of the chains on the swing. If you're in a classroom, you'll hear chatter going on in the background).

Before I forget to mention this, but under the help option or how to play option or whatever it's called at the title screen, it says to double tap to open up the menu. It took me a while to figure this out, but when they say double tap, they actually mean to tap with two fingers. Just know that it takes a couple seconds to bring up the log, the menu, or any of the stuff. And you can't do it while dialog is being displayed. As soon as it's finished a sentence and pauses, you can bring up the menus.

As for was it worth it, I can't really say right now. I have no idea how long this visual novel is or how many girls there are. If you like visual novels and care more about the story than the music or the character designs, then by all means, pick this up for it's sale price ($4.99) since it goes to a good cause. It's a solid visual novel from what I've played and it works. Then again, I don't have any other visual novel to compare it to on the iPhone. Also, keep in mind that I'm aware that this is a port, but I have not played it.

[quote name='kndy']Also purchased "Plants vs. Zomies", "Sudoku HD", "Pinball HD" and "Chicken Balls HD" for the iPad. Anyone know if "Flight Control HD" is easy for an 8-year-old?[/QUOTE]

Definitely - Flight Control is really just drawing lines to steer airplanes and helicopters so they don't crash into each other midair, and you're trying to line them up onto runways to land them. Still one of my favorite pick-up-and-play iPhone games after all these years, and I also have the HD version, which totally benefits from the bigger screen real-estate.

Hurdle Turtle is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"This retro-styled arcade game will keep you jumping and your fingers twitching as you compete for the best distance while trying to keep Hurdle Turtle from wiping out on a zany hurdles course! For this turtle, it's all about pure speed and sweet spin jumps!"

[quote name='Budkin']Looks like the Popcap sale is over... games are now showing up at regular prices for me. Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

It was only Sat. and Sun.

[quote name='Hunter1671']Don't know if this has been posted but Street Fighter IV is finally on sale for 99 cents at itunes.[/QUOTE]

It has been. Went on sale last week. I believe the sale end tomorrow too.

I can't believe the Movie Advertisement Angry Birds game isn't going to be free (out in New Zealand, and will cost 99 cents for iPhone/$4.99 for iPad). Especially the $5 price tag for the iPad. What's the odds this game will ever see an update with new levels? As soon as this me-too movie is out of theaters, this game will go into abandonware-state. Not to mention that it's just wrong to begin with. Doodle Jump: Hop the Movie might be hideous, but at least they made it free.

I decided to buy Spectre 3D while it's at it's intro price of 99 cents. I loved that game many years ago on the Mac. Lots of great multiplayer gaming with that game. I haven't tried this new iOS version, but I'm looking forward to it, plus it's universal which is a bonus.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The Deep Pinball and Jungle Style Pinball are both FREE for the next three days.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...shows up as .99 cents on my end.

Thanks everyone for their recommendation on the flight control HD. Purchased it for my son as he has been hearing from his classmates that it's a cool game.

Turns out the Spectre 3D price is a sale, not an intro price, not that it matters. I played it a bit at lunch and it's awesome. Warm nostalgia memories flooding back... and it's also just plain still a great game. There is a lite version (I didn't even realize that) if you want to try it out. Not sure what the limitations are on that one, other then that it isn't universal, unlike the paid version. Undoubtedly other limits to it. I didn't get to try online play yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to giving that a shot.

I might get Flight Control HD. I didn't realize it had 2 player. That could be fun.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Are there any good first person RPG's for iPad? Or just iOS?

The Wizardry localization news has me in the mood![/QUOTE]

What you're looking for is The Quest. It's definitely a throwback to the old-school Wizardry-style RPGs. Good stuff, tons of content. There's a lite version too.

Edit: I haven't played it on iPad, but it is universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back