Is it weird to go see a movie by yourself?

I worked in a movie theater while in college, and I went all the time by myself (averaged about once a week for a year). I never had an issue with it. In some ways, I find it more enjoyable, since when I go to the movies, it's something I actually want to see, so I don't want to talk, have to move so they can go to the bathroom, etc (I'm 6'6'', so I usually sit in an isle seat so I can sit somewhat comfortably).

My only guess at how this started was that movies are a great date activity (if you are having a misearable date, you can sit in a theater for 2 hours, not say a word, enjoy a movie, drop them off, and then you were a reasonable guy for not bailing). Because of that, people associated that you had to go with people. But, I laugh at my friends who won't go alone. If there is something you want to see and others don't, there is no reason to torture other people just so you can have a good time.

I don't see anything wrong with going to a movie alone. I've never done it myself, but then I have probably been to only to three movies in the last six years, Passion of the Christ, Hulk, and Pirates of the Carribean 2. I prefer DVDs since I am not legally allowed to beat the ass of obnoxious fools at the theater.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I'm 6'6'', so I usually sit in an isle seat so I can sit somewhat comfortably.[/quote]

Me too man. I hate my knees being all up in the back of another chair.

A little. I've been a few times to movies by myself, but I usually go during the day when there's hardly anyone else there. I would feel awkward if it was like a packed house and I was seeing it myself.

Though at one film festival I went to I was in VIP seating, and got to sit by myself, which was great.

[quote name='musha666']Wow. I didnt think there were that many lonely people on the internet... wait nevermind.

Its absolutely weird to go to a theater by yourself to see a movie. Its like going to a dine in restaurant by yourself. Weird, and add creepy to that list. I understand how people who have no friends in real life probably have a high level obsession with movies and entertainment so these people would have no other option than to go alone (usually opening show so they can blog about it to their internet friends afterwards).

These people need to socialize more and make some friends. Whether they like movies or not, if they are a friend (or better yet a GIRLFRIEND!:O) they will usually go see a movie with you whether they are movie freaks or not.

So yes, creepy and weird and I feel a little weird being here with so many people thinking its normal:|[/quote]

I find it weird that you need at least one or two other people to help you feel comfortable staring at a screen for ~2 hours. Unless you're one of those assholes who can't shut up during a movie and would die unless repeating/explaining half the scenes to everyone around you. :p

Going to see a regular movie by yourself...Not Weird

Going to see a kids movie by yourself while wearing nothing but a trenchcoat...WEIRD (and might get you an appearance on Dateline - "Why don't you have a seat right over there")

;)

But on a serious note -

I don't think it is weird at all. Sometimes my wife will go out for a girls day out and I will go to the movies alone. Most of my friends all play golf on the weekends and I don't play, so I end up at the movies alone. No biggie.

It depends.

I used to go to matinees by myself fairly often when I was a student because I like horror and no one else wanted to go with me.

A big blockbuster by yourself in the evening?

Well, if you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

What's great is going to a movie that bombs and having the theatre to yourself!

The problem is that people make it weird to go to the movies by yourself. Its fine to watch a movie at home by yourself but America has made going to the movies a social event and if you dont conform to the norm people think its weird. I dont think there is a difference between going to the movies by yourself and watching a movie at home by yourself. Movies are made for enjoyment not a social gathering.

I go to the movies by myself occasionally and I typically prefer it since I am going at odd hours and there are not a lot of douchebags people to interrupt the movie with cell phones, etc.

When I go on business trips, I also eat in restaurants alone because most of my colleagues are married with kids and cannot just drop everything to go out to eat with me every night. It feels somewhat strange, but I'll be damned if I am going to order take-out every night or eat some fast food shit. I'm comfortable with my own company so it's not an issue for me.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']It depends.

I used to go to matinees by myself fairly often when I was a student because I like horror and no one else wanted to go with me.

A big blockbuster by yourself in the evening?

Well, if you're comfortable with it, then go for it.

What's great is going to a movie that bombs and having the theatre to yourself![/quote]

You sort of bring up a good point. It would be kinda weird to see a kids movie by yourself (especially if there is a lot of kids in the theater). I have no problems with adult movies though...

[quote name='rapsodist']The social norm dictates that moviegoing is a group activity, but I've always thought it a tiny bit silly. Movie viewing is oftentimes a solitary experience, especially at a theater in which you're expected to remain silent. Perhaps a DVD at home with family and/or friends would be better suited to a social experience, when you can freely comment, joke, ask questions, etc.[/quote]

Yes, I agree that the stigmata around individual moviegoing is ridiculous, and sometimes lone viewing can be more satisfying. However, I do like to discuss the movie walking back to my car, so I need at least someone to go with me. :oops:

[quote name='Xevious']You sort of bring up a good point. It would be kinda weird to see a kids movie by yourself (especially if there is a lot of kids in the theater). I have no problems with adult movies though...[/quote]

Yeah, it would be weird to go as a group, and have a friend ask, "Hey man, do you need a hand?" ;)

[quote name='chasemurata']Yes, I agree that the stigmata around individual moviegoing is ridiculous, and sometimes lone viewing can be more satisfying. However, I do like to discuss the movie walking back to my car, so I need at least someone to go with me. :oops:[/quote]

YES. I agree with that, the worst though is when you go to the movies with someone, but then they won't discuss it at all. I hate it when that happens, especially if the movie was IMO a thought provoking movie.

I don't think it's weird. I've done it a couple times myself, but I usually prefer to go with someone, if only for the post-movie discussion.

To me, it seems a little odd to go to the movies with friends. You just sit next to each other in the dark for a couple hours, usually not talking or interacting, just kind of pretending they don't exist.

It's different with a girlfriend or boyfriend though.

Also, the crowded movie experience + saving seats for late friends = terrible

[quote name='darthbudge']YES. I agree with that, the worst though is when you go to the movies with someone, but then they won't discuss it at all. I hate it when that happens, especially if the movie was IMO a thought provoking movie.[/quote]

Yeah, for some reason, it's just not satisfying discussing it with yourself. Plus, people stare. :drool:

[quote name='musha666']Wow. I didnt think there were that many lonely people on the internet... wait nevermind.

Its absolutely weird to go to a theater by yourself to see a movie. Its like going to a dine in restaurant by yourself. Weird, and add creepy to that list. I understand how people who have no friends in real life probably have a high level obsession with movies and entertainment so these people would have no other option than to go alone (usually opening show so they can blog about it to their internet friends afterwards).

These people need to socialize more and make some friends. Whether they like movies or not, if they are a friend (or better yet a GIRLFRIEND!:O) they will usually go see a movie with you whether they are movie freaks or not.

So yes, creepy and weird and I feel a little weird being here with so many people thinking its normal:|[/quote]

judging by your post i'm assuming you have friends, girlfriends... an active social life.

so my question is why wouldn't you in particular not watch a movie by yourself? let's say there's a movie you really want to see and your friends and girlfriend don't want to see it. ever. and besides they're all unavailable at the moment.

you have a few hours to kill and you really want to see that movie. you've been waiting for it forever and want to see it in a theater. so exactly why wouldn't you go?

[quote name='Brak']I see movies at 11 AM on a weekday, to avoid the public.

I prefer going by myself.[/quote]

This, exactly. Sunday night @ 10pm is also ideal.

When I saw Grindhouse I had the whole theater to myself for 4 glorious hours.

[quote name='bmachine']
When I saw Grindhouse I had the whole theater to myself for 4 glorious hours.[/QUOTE]

I feel sorry for the people who had to clean up that particular theater afterward then.

I actually like to go see movies by myself because I hate it when people are trying to talk to me during the movie, and I also find myself becoming more and more of a talker nowadays. 99% of the time I go to the movies with my wife who can't stand it when I open my mouth to say something while the movie is on, but c'mon, if I'm not supposed to talk to you, why the hell did you come with me?

Seeing a film is absolutely not a social experience. Anyone who makes it one is an idiot. Seeing a film with friends? Perfectly fine. I've done that every time except once (with theaters, not at home. I prefer to watch things at home by myself).

When you have other people with you at a movie, they might talk. This is irritating. Anyone who says anything during a film is a douche.

Basically, go to the theater, and if no one wants to come with you, go alone.

I don't think it's weird, I've done it several times and actually prefer to. It's not like I'd want to talk to anyone while it's on.

Definitely depends on the movie.

Like, going to a film festival alone isn't too weird.

But big blockbusters, at big theatres... that's sort of weird.

I didn't do it when I had a ton of friends who could drop things and go to the movies, or when my husband and I could go with each other. But now that I've got kids, sometimes I can't round up a friend to go see something last minute, or we can't get a babysitter, so I often go alone. It's not strange. I see more and more people going.

Ok, so I went to Indy with my 7 year old, but that was more because I wanted to see it, and I knew he'd enjoy it.

[quote name='Strell']I feel sorry for the people who had to clean up that particular theater afterward then.[/quote]

LOL...implying what? ;)

I'm a very considerate moviegoer...I always bring a sock, or at least some extra napkins.

yes its weird to go alone. If i can't find someone to go to the theater with, I just wait for it on bluray/dvd. I did go to the theater once alone to see Sunshine.

[quote name='Nikadimas']I actually like to go see movies by myself because I hate it when people are trying to talk to me during the movie, and I also find myself becoming more and more of a talker nowadays. 99% of the time I go to the movies with my wife who can't stand it when I open my mouth to say something while the movie is on, but c'mon, if I'm not supposed to talk to you, why the hell did you come with me?[/QUOTE]

On behalf of everyone else in the theatre: Shut UP, Nobody cares what you think about anything while the movie is playing.

:)

I only go to the movies alone.....a good movie is like a good book (you hope), you're supposed to get sucked up into the storyline, no go to the theatre with your idiot friends who keep leaning over to you to laugh about a dudes costume or ask you to move so they can piss for the 10th time because they have hamster bladders....

[quote name='bmachine']LOL...implying what? ;)
[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying....I hope the kid earning minimum wage was content to hope you were popping Junior Mints like pimples, or else he was in for a horrific night.

I prefer being alone, private screenings are great. Plus you don't have to worry about other people disturbing you or the person you are with asking you questions or making comments. I hate being bugged during my first viewing of a movie. It is very irritating.

[quote name='willardhaven']I voted "yes" because if you're going alone, why not just download it?[/QUOTE]

/facepalm

If it's still in the theatre, can you legally download it? I don't like taking jobs from people, isn't the economy tough enough these days?

Now, if you could DL or buy the movie at the same time it's in the theatre, I'd still opt for a theatre if it's worth seeing on the big screen.

Those who refuse to go to the movies by themselves most likely are going with the group that won't SHUT UP. I have no problem telling the talkers to shut it. Several times I've had others chime in once I speak up. Then the losers finally get it.

[quote name='Strell']I feel sorry for the people who had to clean up that particular theater afterward then.[/quote]

XD

[quote name='neocisco']Those who refuse to go to the movies by themselves most likely are going with the group that won't SHUT UP. I have no problem telling the talkers to shut it. Several times I've had others chime in once I speak up. Then the losers finally get it.[/quote]So this is why you've never asked me to the movies, because of my incessant talking?

[quote name='guinaevere']So this is why you've never asked me to the movies, because of my incessant talking?[/quote]

:whistle2:k

[quote name='Strell']I'm just saying....I hope the kid earning minimum wage was content to hope you were popping Junior Mints like pimples, or else he was in for a horrific night.[/quote]

Ah, got it. I actually ran a movie theater for about 6 years so I tend to be overly sympathetic to the plight of the underpaid usher. After the show, I'm usually the one telling my friends to clean up their shit.

[quote name='guinaevere']If it's still in the theatre, can you legally download it? I don't like taking jobs from people, isn't the economy tough enough these days?
[/quote]

yes the economy is tough, even more of a reason to download the movies and put the paycheck to filling up the gas tank!

[quote name='omgu8myrice']yes the economy is tough, even more of a reason to download the movies and put the paycheck to filling up the gas tank![/QUOTE]

We appreciate it...

bread's done
Back