Is there really any good reason to use Facebook?

Max_Payne22

CAGiversary!
It seems to me that almost everyone I know uses Facebook, but to me it just looks like a waste of time. Am I right, or is there some good reason why I should make an account on there?

I think so.

Great way to keep in touch with high school and college friends scattered all over the country. You know, people it's cool to keep in some contact with, but you'd seldom or every call up on the phone. As well as reconnecting with old friends you've lost contact too.

Great for sharing photos with friends and family. Much easier than e-mailing links to albums on photo sharing sights etc.

Those are my central uses. Also play some games, mainly Mafia Wars. Nothing special just a semi-fun way to waste 10 minutes during down time at work etc.

It is a great way to see what the girl you met the night before really looks like and not just what she looks like when you are loaded and in a dimly lit bar.

[quote name='ian1418']It is a great way to see what the girl you met the night before really looks like and not just what she looks like when you are loaded and in a dimly lit bar.[/QUOTE]

Scorch likes this reply.

Perspective from a student in college:

Facebook is a great way to keep up with events going on or around campus. Without facebook, people will be less prone to invite you to parties and events.

As for usefullness, I use it as a tool to keep up with high school friends, relatives and form closer bonds to college friends I already have. However, facebook should never be used as a tool for making friends outright. It really only works best after you have established some sort of comfort level with the other person in real life, or else you constantly liking their statuses or posting on their wall will make you look like a creep. Remember, it is alot easier to look like a creep on Facebook and not realize it than it is in the real world.

Personally, I say you join it. Add relatives, add some coworkers, add some friends. See how you like it. If you don't like it, then you could probably still get by with the old fashioned way of calling people on their phone. However, in my age bracket, it is VASTLY easier for people with Facebook and unlimited texting to have a social life than it is for people without these things. That isn't to say there aren't students without these things, but many people, including myself, don't want to be bothered with emailing you and singly calling you in particular if we are all just going out somewhere really quick, or planning a big party. We are really only willing to do that for good friends, while a person who I'm not great friends with would still get an invite on facebook.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Also if you join, don't update your status everyday, and don't update it with stuff like "I'm hungry." or "Going to the gym in 5 minutes." That doesn't stimulate conversation.

Also, I disagree on the whole "you get to see women outside of that bar setting" mentality, since women can selectively choose to show pictures in which they become the worlds best body contortionalists and look like super models. Just saying.

it's the only way I keep in touch with some of my family and friends back in Oregon, I don't feel it's a waste of time.

facebook for men = TO HOLLA AT HOES

facebook for women = to share photos and feelings and rant about pointless obvious things such as "the woman's heart is so powerful that no man can truly conquer it but if they do...."

[quote name='strongpimphand']facebook for men = TO HOLLA AT HOES

facebook for women = to share photos and feelings and rant about pointless obvious things such as "the woman's heart is so powerful that no man can truly conquer it but if they do...."[/QUOTE]

LOL:rofl:, sad, but often true, LOL:rofl:!

Others have already mentioned the keeping in touch with family/friends on FB, but another aspect that has grown is that businesses have embraced social media to market themselves, so it's also a good way to keep up with what's going on with your favorite retailers. Occasionally, these businesses use their pages to advertise upcoming sales or even conduct contests for freebies, so that's another incentive. Just remember that if you decide on joining the FB crowd, be smart about what you post and, more importantly, what you shouldn't post.

Ive had one for awhile but only reason I did was so I can see my best friends pics she puts up of her first baby she had earlier this year because she makes for excellent comedic pictures.

Other than though I dont use it. I just dont like the idea of posting pics of myself, what Im doing, information about myself and all this needless shit on there because honestly no one gives a toss about me. And like the maybe 3 people in this world dont need to check facebook to find out whats going on with me. Like my uncle and my grandma I see on a regular basis since they live close and I talk on the phone with my best friend once a week atleast. Other than that there isnt anyone else.

To me Facebook has become a double edge sword. Its cool because I can keep in touch with family members who are living far away. Its bad because people from work that you don't necessarily like will 'Friend' you at some point and that is a cause for some awkwardness.

If you join facebook, use a fake name. That's my advice.

[quote name='Xevious']To me Facebook has become a double edge sword. Its cool because I can keep in touch with family members who are living far away. Its bad because people from work that you don't necessarily like will 'Friend' you at some point and that is a cause for some awkwardness.

If you join facebook, use a fake name. That's my advice.[/QUOTE]
fake name?

nah man nah....don't fake a name. i KNOW people at my job have facebook....so when they start talking about posting pictures i simply start saying stuff like this:

"facebook is a great site...but i'd hate to have to compromise my lifestyle because you know you can't let everyone know what you're doing in life...."

nobody has tried to add me yet. it's a direct indirect way of telling those people "look - if you try to add me, i'm not going to accept"

there's only 1 person who is my friend there...but that's because i've known him for 3 years now it seems. and he doesn't have anyone at work added neither...so there isn't any of that spying shit going on.

facebook is how people get tripped up. don't get tripped up...

[quote name='Xevious']

that's what i did. i only signed up for some of the contests i see that require you like their page.
i don't want to be spammed with friend/farmville requests from someone i never liked in the first place just because we went to school or worked together or something.

I don't have one but my friend and wife thought it'd be funny to make one for me like the south park episode. Nah, I'm not having that. Deleted it. I felt bad as hell because I got a few friend requests from old HS people. They probably think I'm an asshole..eh, we weren't that close anyway.
If someone wants to say "hey", they can call me. Otherwise there's no way to contact me and that is perfect for me.

Keeping in touch with friends = seeing how frequently some of them post shit you could care less about. Usually from people you don't know well, but irritating nonetheless. Though I have actually reconnected with an old friend from years ago. Once.

You aren't missing out on much, really. Unless there are people you really want to get back in touch with, it's not worth the trouble. If you wanted an account, you would have made one already.

[quote name='Xevious']To me Facebook has become a double edge sword. Its cool because I can keep in touch with family members who are living far away. Its bad because people from work that you don't necessarily like will 'Friend' you at some point and that is a cause for some awkwardness.

I'd just straight up deny anyone I don't like, don't see a problem with that. I don't necessarily talk to people I don't like either so

[quote name='Max_Payne22']It seems to me that almost everyone I know uses Facebook, but to me it just looks like a waste of time. Am I right, or is there some good reason why I should make an account on there?[/QUOTE]

All I know is I enjoy it. I was a Air Force kid back in the day and lost contact with almost everyone I knew growing up because we all moved so much. This was before the internet was common for everyone to have. I found people I may have never ever found if it wasn't for facebook. One guy I found played at Marshall with Randy Moss, some know Josh Duhamel because we all went to the same high school in North Dakota, some have families and children, some have been trying to find out where I am for years.

I think facebook is more useful the older you get when you don't have time to hangout with friends or when people are moving.

[quote name='strongpimphand']facebook for men = TO HOLLA AT HOES

facebook for women = to share photos and feelings and rant about pointless obvious things such as "the woman's heart is so powerful that no man can truly conquer it but if they do...."[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I almost spit out my coffee.

[quote name='Max_Payne22']It seems to me that almost everyone I know uses Facebook, but to me it just looks like a waste of time. Am I right, or is there some good reason why I should make an account on there?[/QUOTE]

I like it because I am interested enough in some of my friends/people i know/family to maybe look at stuff about them online but not nearly enough to actually talk to them.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']
i don't want to be spammed with friend/farmville requests from someone i never liked in the first place just because we went to school or worked together or something.[/QUOTE]

FYI you can easily block applications so you don't get any requests etc. from games like those and they don't show up on your feed etc.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
I think facebook is more useful the older you get when you don't have time to hangout with friends or when people are moving.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's more handy for that stuff when you're past college/grad school and everyone has moved away for jobs, and people are focused on families etc. It's a great way to keep in touch for that stuff.

But it's good for younger people to, like the earlier poster who used it to keep up with events on campus, and many do use it to invite people to big parties etc.

So it's basically a handy tool for social people I guess. If you're anti social and have a small circle of friends and family you care about keeping in touch with, then it's probably a waste though.

I remember when it was a requirement to have a valid college email address to obtain a FB account (.edu). My whole network used it extensively back then. I've teetered away from using it lately and I guess most of my friends have as well (we're all in our mid-late 20's). Nobody posts much of anything of significance other than idle banter like the weather, plans for the day, or just don't post much at all. I find the group/fan pages much more useful as semi-RSS feeds to get info I want quickly, like an upcoming HS reunion or info from sites that I frequent.

I think facebook is a nice site but I dont mess with it as much as other people do. Yeah its nice that you can connect with people from back from school but honestly I have been doing that before facebook came along. And if someone is looking for me let them actually reach out and call me.

Facebook is like any other social media site and eventually its going to get old then something new is going to come out that everyone is going to hop on. Look at how much everyone was talking about Myspace when that first hit. Same thing that happen to Myspace is going to happen to Facebook.

facebook was great when it was about social networking not instead of networking it's a webportal. Like the 90s style yahoo web portal. it was really useful for maintaining your network of college friends. like earlier I was one of those who joined when you need to validate with an actual college e-mail. Two things ruined facebook. 1) apps. I know that made it popular but it ruined usefulness with too much noise. 2) letting anyone join. it was bad enough when they let highschooler's join but not that anyone can join. everyone can join and it's just a sea of noise.

I keep my facebook and I don't add anyone I don't know (for the most part) but over all lately I just use it for contests. Too many people use FB status updates like it's twitter and it's not designed for that and thus gets annoying.

I feel bad for kids now because all they know is facebook. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me say this over and over again but i know kids who know how to send facebook PMs but don't understand e-mail. Completely forgotten their passwords and everything. At 10 you use the same password for everything and yet when asked they can't sign in.

Facebook operates as a personality amplifier. If you are a weepy, emo person, then you will express yourself that way tenfold on Facebook. If you are a hate-monger, you may be twice as likely to spew misinformed ranting. If you really love your kids, this might get ramped up fifty times over by sharing hundreds of your pics from your child's first gymnastics lesson.

This also goes for anyone you become friends with.

Therefore, you need to ask yourself: am I, or most of my friends, so goddamn annoying that engaging in concentrated dosages might drive someone to violence, or am I and my friends mature and well-balanced enough that enhancing it would serve to bring us closer and keep us connected?

Answer that and you'll know what to do.

Facebook, Twitter and MySpace all suck balls. End of story.

I've had both a Facebook and MySpace account and I've hated both. The MySpace account kept getting friend requests from every idiot under the sun wanting to be my 'friend' and I only signed up for the FB account to 'befriend' Sony so I could carpet bomb them with hatred posts for their garbageware.;)

After my first couple comments didn't show up at all I deleted my FB account. The MySpace one is probably still active but I don't even know the sign in for it at this point.

^ You've admitted to not having any friends/family, so obviously Facebook (or any other social networking site) wouldn't be of any use to you. The interns running the Sony page probably deleted your comments.

Anywho, I missed the courses feature when they took it away my sophomore year. It was somewhat useful. And I wish they would've kept it for college students only (although opening it up is what allowed it to become as big as it is today). Now, people are even making profiles for their babies and dogs.

I remember liking it because it was a cleaner version of MySpace (where everyone had these psychedelic looking profiles with backgrounds and tons of flashing pics and whatnot). Of course, that all changed when applications came along.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think so.

Great way to keep in touch with high school and college friends scattered all over the country. You know, people it's cool to keep in some contact with, but you'd seldom or every call up on the phone. As well as reconnecting with old friends you've lost contact too.

Great for sharing photos with friends and family. Much easier than e-mailing links to albums on photo sharing sights etc.

Those are my central uses. Also play some games, mainly Mafia Wars. Nothing special just a semi-fun way to waste 10 minutes during down time at work etc.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='lmz00']^ You've admitted to not having any friends/family, so obviously Facebook (or any other social networking site) wouldn't be of any use to you. The interns running the Sony page probably deleted your comments.[/QUOTE]
I still bs with friends from AOL and other online networks at times and I used to talk to them on there as well. As for regular friends and family, both parents are computer illiterate and any friends I have don't have internet access currently or they might be on there playing Farmville or whatever.:roll:

As for the Sony page, I've noticed the same thing on the PS Blog. It takes forever for anything even vaguely negative about them to show up on the firmware blog page, but people begging for 'omg gimme cross game chat' have their comments show up immediately.:roll:

nope same goes for twitter too. nobody is that important that they need to post every instant moment about anything that comes to mind.

i perfectly agree that opening facebook and the Apps are what made it as popular as it is now.

that said they completely and totally ruined 90% of it's functionality. you have any idea how annoying it is to try to keep friends but there's always that one friend who is playing 50 different games 4 times a week? Sure you can 'block apps' now but that's like saying you can stop your spam mail by unsubscribing from each spammer's e-mail list one by one.

that said i really don't care enough about facebook to really hate it. and honestly I don't have people playing that many games so personally my account is manageable. i just miss when it was superuseful without all the effort.

Facebook is all right for staying connected with some people but, I usually just call or text the people I care about. Myspace was great for finding new music until I started getting requests from every band under the sun. Twitter is mostly a waste of time but, it's good for contests and deals.

I've had a Facebook profile for 6 years now ever since it was locked to just colleges. I thought it may be stupid, but has become a very important site in my life.

At college, it was a great way to get back together with old high school friends I lost in contact with. It was a good way to get to know classmates better. It was also great being able to form groups with people having similar interests as you. That's honestly how I met some of my best friends in college.

I originally hated how it started to go more open, but later I liked it. I remember when groups when global, I created groups for several RPG series. Funny that a few who added me on Facebook, happened to be someone I knew on forums (like a certain CAG off the top of my head and we didn't know it).

After college, it was a good way to still stay connected with people. I also like its IM client because I can quickly talk to old friends without finding out their IM name. Having their phone numbers and emails in my phone makes it easy. I also found people who I haven't talked to in years. Also a great way for me to stay close to some of my online friends (have a bunch of them added on there).

Oh, and it's a good tool for meeting people. When I switched schools, someone on CC took the initiative to make a Facebook group for transfers and arranged a dinner the first week we all got here, and that's how I wound up meeting most of my friends.

bread's done
Back