Is There still time for the PSP to overtake the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Thomas96']
basically, instead of saying the fight is over, I want to give the psp some great games and lets just see what impact it has on the market... what I'm starting to see is that DS fans (not you) don't like that, and don't want to see that... and I'm wondering now.. why is that? what are they worried about if a couple of decent games are released on a system that they considered dead and beaten? I wonder.....[/QUOTE]

Well let's be fair here for a second. You start a thread asking whether or not the PSP can catch the DS, and then get upset when people say that the PSP can't catch the DS? It's simply a statement of fact at the moment. The DS is insumountable in Japan and has been outselling the PSP by a fair margin (100,000+ units last month) since the release of the Lite. To claim conspiracy about people wanting to see the PSP dead in the water because they know that if it got more developer support it'd catch right up ignores what has happened so far. EA has essentially said they were shifting focus away from the PSP as has a number of other developers in favor of the DS. Almost all of the big Sony franchises, excluding Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, and Ratchet and Clank, have appeared on the system but none of them have been incredibly impactful, sans GTA which sold around a million PSPs in the US alone. The PSP isn't dead in the water, but there are certainly enough sharks circling to call this fight for Nintendo.

If you want to understand why so many people want to bury the PSP, look at the facts. First off, new handhelds always take a ton of heat if they're not from an established handheld maker. Furthermore, this doubles each time there's a major issue with the system (battery life, brightness issues, bad game format, inability to insert games without unscrewing the system, cost, ugly design sidetalking, etc). The burden of proof always falls on the system even if it's from an established developer. Nobody gave the DS a pass at first because the GBA was a great system. The final thing is that a significant portion of gamers are fed up with Sony. Sony comes out with insane statements in press conferences, their systems almost always have significant issues out of the gate, they're exceptionally arrogant, and their systems have recently started using expensive propritary formats. People don't want to bury the PSP because it's the PSP. People want to bury the PSP because it's the Sony PSP.

I want to see great games on the PSP too. I just doubt that with it's current market penetration and positioning, most third party developers would rather gravitate to the DS, especially if they're based in Japan.

Plus, lay off on the whole "Only PSP owners should post in PSP threads" especially when this question directly addresses Nintendo.

I think two things could help the PSP:

1) Cheaper software. I grumble when I've gotta pay $35 for a DS title, so $50 sez to me "no fucking way." I'm looking at roughly half my PSP titles at the moment (8 games). I paid more than $20 for 3 of them: Liberty City Stories ($40), Valkyrie Profile ($40), and Suikoden 1&2 ($55? $60? It's not comin' here anyway, so I justified that expense that way). I'd love to play Vice City Stories, but I'll wait until it hits $30 (which will be inevitable during the holidays). I just can't reason with paying $50 for a portable title. I've been buying portable games since the Game Boy, and $30 is my sticking point. As a consumer, I don't see the PSP as being above the DS, or vice versa; I know Sony tries to justify its high title prices this way, but they're seeing things through a lens that this consumer, at the very least, does not. The Super NES/Genesis wars wouldn't have been shit if SNES titles were $15-20 more than Genesis ones.

2) The plethora of bullshit games. Go look at a PSP display at a TRU, or EB, or GS. What do you see? Legend of Heroes, Blade Dancer, Astonishing Story, and a bunch of other "let's throw it at a wall and see what sticks" titles. If they were more particular about what comes out for it, then I'd be more interested in seeing what the PSP has to offer. I can't bear to look at PSP games in a store for this reason; it's like your shopping for Jaguar titles: you can choose between dogshit A or dogshit B, but you're less likely to come across a title that you genuinely want to play. Massively disappointing counterparts to console games (Scarface and Godfather come to mind) don't help either.

They could also spend less time fighting the homebrew scene (though they have every right to include firmware updates that block access to iso loaders and the like), and start doing the goddamned PS1 downloads. Get on with it, already. Besides, I'm almost done with Phoenix Wright, so I need something new to play.

In fairness, the average new PSP title costs around $40 these days. The collections are still ten dollars too expensive in my opinion, but I think $40 is a fair price for a PSP game.

Well, there's a LOT of reading in this thread, so I'll add my quick $0.02. The DS is targeting a different audience than the PSP is. The DS, and the Wii, are trying to get the casual gamer who doesn't want to fork out an arm and a leg for a system, but still want something that's entertaining.

If Jim is heading to a conference half way across the country and he is looking to get a portable gaming system, he will most likely say "I can fork our $150 for this DS and a game, maybe my girlfriend/wife/kids would use it too. Aww, look, Nintendogs; she/they would like that. Metroid Prime looks kinda cool, I'll wait."

The PSP, on the other hand, was designed to market those people who like the gadgets and are not opposed to the leading edge. Hence why the thing plays movies, mp3s, has built in location-free player, built in Wi-Fi, Internet browser, etc. The thing is marketed to appease us techy-dweebs and not the casual gamer who isn't going to plop down $250 for a system and still need to buy a game.

If Sony wants a better marketshare they should drop the price of the system down to be more competative in price to the DS. I'm not saying that the PSP needs to be $129, but it should be $150 to even come close to being a real threat.

As for the games, anymore it seems that $40 is the standard "new release" price point. The only $50 game I see, or have seen for that matter, is the GTA series; and in all honesty, the $10 isn't going to effect the sales that much. With a library that's a year and a half old, the greatest hits line, and decent titles reaching the $20 price point; this combined with the Sony Digital Distribution and the PS3 cross-functionality (for those 18 people who will get a PS3 this year) would set Sony up for some real success if they were to lower the price of the unit.

All-in-all, I think that the PSP will never overtake the DS; then again I don't think the DS will ever overtake the PSP. Both systems are great at what they're designed to do and honestly I think the market is big enough for both of them.

First thing first, I don't own a PSP I do however own a DS and I was given the opportunity to try both out and make a sound educated decsion.

1) I don't need Movies on my gaming system. Not that I wouldn't like it, I wish they weren't the same price as DVDs which are highly superior products, they are too much money for what they are. I also wish there was more of a price difference between them.

2) I don't need to buy music in UMD form, seeing these on the shelves just made me wonder, who actually buys this crap?

3) stop rehashing PS2/console games and put out an original title. I look at the PSP section and I can't find a game I'm interested in that I haven't already played on my PS2, the majority of my gaming is done at home or while i'm doing laundry. I love my DS because it is easy to get in and out of a game (minimal load times, i don't even notice them) I can't even imagine waiting 2 minutes for screens to load, that would piss me off.

4) no internal memory source, I would buy a PSP if it had the means to save music/game saves on the system itself. but it doesn't so I have to either juggle music and game saves on the small included memory or shell out more money for another memory stick or two. This is a great design flaw, my ds has catridge save which comes in mighty handy.

5) why does this thing cost so much? more capable Ipods cost less than this thing. and it just seems cheap for me to hold it. I've seen display units at stores (while i know this isn't the standard but..) most of them the analog nub thing is broken off. that in turn tells me it can't handle hardcore gameplay that it might (and probably will) break long before its time is due.

As a gamer, I'm not interested in puzzle games, as a matter of fact I wish there were less puzzle games for portable systems they are getting old..

6) the price point for games, looking around you can get DS games for about 15 bucks for some pretty awesome titles.. you can't say the same for the PSP, of the greatest hits games I think only Twisted Metal is the only game worth playing. And I really wasn't interested in that since the last 40 sequels have came and went for that.

7) ooo the internet on the PSP, the internet is best suited for a laptop or desktop computer, a keyboard DOES matter and its not very fun to look at webpages on such a small screen. I don't need my PSP to get on the net, as the majority of my time is spent where the internet and computers are readily available I don't need, (i had a pocket PC that went on the net and it sucked) and its not that particularly engaging to look at.

I'm not saying that the PSP doesn't have its upsides, but from my standpoint the biggest issue for me is the price and the price of games.. my ds just has better games (for me anyways, i love gba games too ) that buying a PSP would just never get any play from me.

[quote name='urzishra14']5) and it just seems cheap for me to hold it. I've seen display units at stores (while i know this isn't the standard but..) most of them the analog nub thing is broken off. that in turn tells me it can't handle hardcore gameplay that it might (and probably will) break long before its time is due.
[/QUOTE]
What that should tell you is that there are a lot of jerks who like to go around breaking display models. This happens with all sorts of things, not just the PSP. It's just that the analog nub is easy to break off if you try (it is replaceable, though).

Honestly, I don't think the PSP is much more fragile than the DS. The PSP has the exposed screen and UMD door, but the DS has the touch screen (encouraging scratches) and the hinge. It's a wash.

I have both systems and they both seem sturdy enough.

I don't understand why Sony takes heat for leaning on their franchises while Nintendo uses their franchises like an old crutch. I'm not saying that I like any of the ports but I don't fault Sony for trying to make a buck. They are a business after all.

[quote name='urzishra14']First thing first, I don't own a PSP I do however own a DS and I was given the opportunity to try both out and make a sound educated decsion.

1) I don't need Movies on my gaming system. Not that I wouldn't like it, I wish they weren't the same price as DVDs which are highly superior products, they are too much money for what they are. I also wish there was more of a price difference between them.

2) I don't need to buy music in UMD form, seeing these on the shelves just made me wonder, who actually buys this crap?

3) stop rehashing PS2/console games and put out an original title. I look at the PSP section and I can't find a game I'm interested in that I haven't already played on my PS2, the majority of my gaming is done at home or while i'm doing laundry. I love my DS because it is easy to get in and out of a game (minimal load times, i don't even notice them) I can't even imagine waiting 2 minutes for screens to load, that would piss me off.

4) no internal memory source, I would buy a PSP if it had the means to save music/game saves on the system itself. but it doesn't so I have to either juggle music and game saves on the small included memory or shell out more money for another memory stick or two. This is a great design flaw, my ds has catridge save which comes in mighty handy.

5) why does this thing cost so much? more capable Ipods cost less than this thing. and it just seems cheap for me to hold it. I've seen display units at stores (while i know this isn't the standard but..) most of them the analog nub thing is broken off. that in turn tells me it can't handle hardcore gameplay that it might (and probably will) break long before its time is due.

As a gamer, I'm not interested in puzzle games, as a matter of fact I wish there were less puzzle games for portable systems they are getting old..

6) the price point for games, looking around you can get DS games for about 15 bucks for some pretty awesome titles.. you can't say the same for the PSP, of the greatest hits games I think only Twisted Metal is the only game worth playing. And I really wasn't interested in that since the last 40 sequels have came and went for that.

7) ooo the internet on the PSP, the internet is best suited for a laptop or desktop computer, a keyboard DOES matter and its not very fun to look at webpages on such a small screen. I don't need my PSP to get on the net, as the majority of my time is spent where the internet and computers are readily available I don't need, (i had a pocket PC that went on the net and it sucked) and its not that particularly engaging to look at.

I'm not saying that the PSP doesn't have its upsides, but from my standpoint the biggest issue for me is the price and the price of games.. my ds just has better games (for me anyways, i love gba games too ) that buying a PSP would just never get any play from me.[/quote]
Well, that's good that you had a chance to try them both out. Being an owner of both systems, I can honestly say that you don't know what you're talking about.
1) I agree, the UMD movies are a freaking joke. I'm more interrested in taking my current DVD library and moving over to the PSP. I wish the compression was better, but then again movies aren't why I bought the system.

2) Good question, I guess I've never seen music UMDs before. Hell, for the price one would spend on two of those you can get a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro to save your MP3s on, which is the preferred method.

3) One could argue the same of the DS; granted the DS has originals (Kirby and Trauma Center come to mine) but so does the PSP (LocoRoco and Syphon Filter are examples). I mean, Mario Kart's original content would equate to GTA:LCSs; New Super Mario Brothers to Socom FireTeam Bravo. As for load times, initially they suck, but most people have found that they stick to one game for a while and use the suspend function. Coming back into a game takes about 5 - 10 seconds.

4) Yeah it doesn't have an internal memory source, but with a fairly cheap memory card (mentioned above) you can save your game without the saved data on the game itself, not sure I would call this a flaw. This is the same save technique that's used on the home consoles (PS2 has memory cards, GC has memory cards, PS1 had memory cards).

5) Capable IPODS, you're joking right? There's a crap-ton of tech in this device. Have you seen the games on it? Syphon Filter, Gun Showdown, hell, even the Killzone Demo are extremely impressive. As for it feeling cheap, I don't think you can use the demo units at Best Buy as a basis for this claim. A device that is tied down to a stand is going to feel bad. The analog nub has kept up with me and I play mine probably 10 hours or more a week.

5.1) Puzzle games ... yeah, there's a lot more than just puzzle games for the PSP, take a gander chief.

6) I have no idea what you're trying to say. I've gotten many games for under $20 new for the PSP. Scour EBay and you'll find decent games at very competative prices. Granted, some titles take a while to drop in price, but it's not like they take 4 years to drop *cough*supermarioadvance2*cough*

7) The internet on the PSP is a joke. Honestly the only reason I use it is because of the Wi-Fi games (which don't need friend codes that stay on the cart) and to download demos or RSS feeds, aside from this it's a slow and worthless feature .... until the Sony Store is made public and I can download FF VII to my PSP.

There you have it, my arguments. Again, I'm not saying that the DS is a bad machine; what I am saying is that your arguments have little to back them up.

[quote name='Thomas96']The ps3 is going to be a big help for the psp for serveral reasons. 1st, now developers can't port ps3 games to it, thus forcing more orginal titles; 2nd ps1 library, and other downloadable games; 3rd accessing ps3 w/ psp; The psp's reemergence is highly contingent on the ps3's success. People talking about the DS already won, and the war is over... I think the war might be just beginning...[/QUOTE]

perhaps the war of 1812 has also just begun....strell hit it on the money you are delusional

[quote name='furyk']Well let's be fair here for a second. You start a thread asking whether or not the PSP can catch the DS, and then get upset when people say that the PSP can't catch the DS? It's simply a statement of fact at the moment. The DS is insumountable in Japan and has been outselling the PSP by a fair margin (100,000+ units last month) since the release of the Lite. To claim conspiracy about people wanting to see the PSP dead in the water because they know that if it got more developer support it'd catch right up ignores what has happened so far. EA has essentially said they were shifting focus away from the PSP as has a number of other developers in favor of the DS. Almost all of the big Sony franchises, excluding Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, and Ratchet and Clank, have appeared on the system but none of them have been incredibly impactful, sans GTA which sold around a million PSPs in the US alone. The PSP isn't dead in the water, but there are certainly enough sharks circling to call this fight for Nintendo.

If you want to understand why so many people want to bury the PSP, look at the facts. First off, new handhelds always take a ton of heat if they're not from an established handheld maker. Furthermore, this doubles each time there's a major issue with the system (battery life, brightness issues, bad game format, inability to insert games without unscrewing the system, cost, ugly design sidetalking, etc). The burden of proof always falls on the system even if it's from an established developer. Nobody gave the DS a pass at first because the GBA was a great system. The final thing is that a significant portion of gamers are fed up with Sony. Sony comes out with insane statements in press conferences, their systems almost always have significant issues out of the gate, they're exceptionally arrogant, and their systems have recently started using expensive propritary formats. People don't want to bury the PSP because it's the PSP. People want to bury the PSP because it's the Sony PSP.

I want to see great games on the PSP too. I just doubt that with it's current market penetration and positioning, most third party developers would rather gravitate to the DS, especially if they're based in Japan.

Plus, lay off on the whole "Only PSP owners should post in PSP threads" especially when this question directly addresses Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I never got upset at anyone about their opinions.. I definitely don't like it when people lie just to make a point, and if you read my comments I said that the psp probably won't catch the DS in total sales.. I'm not looking for the psp to overtake the ds, I just want it to get good games from developers.. and not ports.

Sony made a big mistake w/ the psp... dead pixels.. You expect people to pay high prices, but then there are defects with the system.... The DS is good and that's why it's number one... but let it be number one because of it's and developers accomplishments; not because... people wished the competition dead...

I never said that "only psp owners should post in PSP threads." But I do wonder, why a person who feels that the PSP is dead would even bother to look at a PSP thread; when I posted this I did expect a little more optimism from people. The psp burned it's bridges with gamers... firmware updates... stopping (or trying to) homebrew (which was actually a underlying selling point) dead pixels, ported ps2 games, load times, etc. Sony definitely should price drop the system and games

[quote name='MarkMark']perhaps the war of 1812 has also just begun....strell hit it on the money you are delusional[/QUOTE]

well at least a battle...

Strell lies to make his point..(or does poor research) as he clearly lied (or was mistaken, not really calling him a liar) when he said that 'iga' (ref castlevania director) doesn't like 2d games, then I find an article with the guy saying the exact opposite(aug 05) He can call me what he wants, but one thing I don't do is misquote people just to make a point.

I think that psp has a lot of life left, because Sony has to worry about the ps3, and has to get that established before they can think about trying to release a new psp. So, there's at least 2-3 years left with the psp, actually, it'd be in Sony's best interest for them to release a redesign of the psp, with improvements, better d-pad, no dead pixels, internal memory..etc I'll admit the DS won the day the DSL came out... even I couldn't resist it.. at 129.99 actually got it for 109.99 w/ free brain age. With deals like that, on DAY 1; who can beat you. Handhelds, need cheap games, and high variety.. and the psp doesn't have that... not like the ds.. wish it did though.

Load times are what killed the PSP for me. If you want to play a game while sitting on the can, forget it. I finished unloading before most games ever loaded.

[quote name='Thomas96']
Strell lies to make his point..(or does poor research) as he clearly lied (or was mistaken, not really calling him a liar) when he said that 'iga' (ref castlevania director) doesn't like 2d games, then I find an article with the guy saying the exact opposite(aug 05) He can call me what he wants, but one thing I don't do is misquote people just to make a point.
[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Listen.

You're an idiot.

You can't read, you argue the same tired useless bullshit point over and over.

I said two things about Iga - one, that he hates 2D, and yet two, that he only recently even thought it was still viable.

You can talk to other people who have had it with his shit. He's very well known for being a pompous asshole about Castlevania, especially Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. But they bombed. And they sucked. They are the retarded cousins of the series. The man willingly withdrew resources from the 2D incarnations (such as the main artist, replacing her beautiful artwork with bullshit anime) in order to focus entirely on the 3D games, and kept talking about how "portables are for kids and only kids play them and I want to do something mature on home consoles because 3D is the way to go."

May '06: “2D is an art form in itself, and I don’t want to lose that culture,” he says. “...I haven’t been satisfied with what I’ve achieved on the 3D platform, but I’m certainly churning my mind constantly about how to bring 3D to life with Castlevania.”

Translation: Gosh I really wish I could get 3D right!

October '06: I’ve been thinking, trying to simulate various forms of Castlevania on next generation. I do understand that fans love 2D. I’ve worked on 3D platforms twice already, but I’m not really happy about my work.

I’ve been facing a dilemma over 3D game platforming... obviously I’ve done two projects already and I know something is wrong. I have certain ideas in my head, but we’re not up to the stage of expressing that in the game. That’s something I’m not happy with and really want to meet the challenge.

Yeah, because you suck balls at it and you're backpedaling.

July '05: He has stated that there are a lot of financial considerations when making a 2D game, taking into account the fact that 2D games are generally not as successful these days.

Not when your console games suck. The 2Ds have been the only thing keeping your name attached to the project.

The problem is that when Igarashi shovels it, he uses both hands. After all, he’s been quoted as saying not only that 3D games can’t provide the depth of 2D games, but also that maintaining Castlevania’s gameplay in 3D would be impossible.

Yet he does them anyway? Wtf?

2003: KI: Since the game industry is movie-directed, I suppose it's natural that players' interest in 2D games is becoming dimmer.

Madness.

What else do you need? How about a petition from disgruntled fans wanting a 2D on a home console, complete with 1200 signatures?

Listen, you've been a great player, and you'll get a home version of our game. But it won't be on the PSP.

G'night everyone.

1,200 signatures is nothing, though... most home console fans don't really care about 2-D, sadly enough.

Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were far from the retarded cousins of the series... that honor goes to the N64 games. Lament of Innocence was really only plagued by shit level design, and I didn't play enough of Curse of Darkness to make an informed judgement, but what I played was ok. They could have done ALOT worse.

I mean, they are absolutely right, 2-D ISN'T as successful these days, and give it time, handheld systems will get to the same point console systems did and everyone will want 3-D on those as well. It's already happening on the DS / PSP.

IGA just wants to bring the series into 3-D so the series can survive when everything changes and he can be ready. SNK has just now started working in 3-D majorly and they have ALOT of catch up to do and it shows.

Capcom was smart and abandoned 2-D early and started hitting 3-D like crazy, and they are extremely successful for the most part., while still making a few games in 2-D here and there.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for the most part with this next generation of consoles, 2-D gaming is pretty much gone... I'm not sure how much 2-D, if any, we'll see on the PS3 or 360 (outside of XBLA). Maybe the third time is the charm and IGA can make a fantastic 3-D game, he just needs to put a ton of effort into it (think Ninja Gaiden's transformation from 2-D to 3-D).

[quote name='Strell']Wow.

Listen.

You're an idiot.

You can't read, you argue the same tired useless bullshit point over and over.

I said two things about Iga - one, that he hates 2D, and yet two, that he only recently even thought it was still viable.

You can talk to other people who have had it with his shit. He's very well known for being a pompous asshole about Castlevania, especially Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. But they bombed. And they sucked. They are the retarded cousins of the series. The man willingly withdrew resources from the 2D incarnations (such as the main artist, replacing her beautiful artwork with bullshit anime) in order to focus entirely on the 3D games, and kept talking about how "portables are for kids and only kids play them and I want to do something mature on home consoles because 3D is the way to go."

Translation: Gosh I really wish I could get 3D right!

Yeah, because you suck balls at it and you're backpedaling.

Not when your console games suck. The 2Ds have been the only thing keeping your name attached to the project.

Yet he does them anyway? Wtf?

Madness.

What else do you need? How about a petition from disgruntled fans wanting a 2D on a home console, complete with 1200 signatures?

Listen, you've been a great player, and you'll get a home version of our game. But it won't be on the PSP.

G'night everyone.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to address any more issues with you, cause obviously you're taking things too personally, called me delusional, idiot, pompous ass, etc. Make your point, post your topic, but I was born with one name and one name only Thomas Davis, Jr and I'd prefer if you'd address me as such. You don't need to try to diss me just to make a point..

2d is still good, and people still love 2d, and the psp would benefit from more
2d games, New Super Mario is basically a 2d game, and it was (and probably still is) the number one selling game.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm not going to address any more issues with you, cause obviously you're taking things too personally, called me delusional, idiot, pompous ass, etc. Make your point, post your topic, but I was born with one name and one name only Thomas Davis, Jr and I'd prefer if you'd address me as such. You don't need to try to diss me just to make a point..[/QUOTE]

You want to be called Thomas Davis, Jr and you're upset that Strell is calling you a pompous ass? You are right though. Strell is putting in way too much time for someone who probably still shits his pants.

All right, all right. Break it up, guys. This really isn't a fair fight. I don't think Thomas knew what he was getting into when he started this little war but now I think he wants it to be over. You've had your fun with the boy. Now throw him back so someone else can catch him.

[quote name='depascal22']All right, all right. Break it up, guys. This really isn't a fair fight. I don't think Thomas knew what he was getting into when he started this little war but now I think he wants it to be over. You've had your fun with the boy. Now throw him back so someone else can catch him.[/QUOTE]

argue all you guys want, I'm not done... it's just that, I don't think we need to be disrespectful.. if the psp is a piece of shit, or the ds is a piece of shit.. express it.. but just because the next man don't agree with you doesn't mean you need to diss him.. We all in here cause we like games, so if you diss me you diss yourself..

and with that said.. Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stores is coming out soon; that game might end up being handheld game of the year... they definitely made some improvements over vice city (not that I thought it needed any). There's not one game on the DS that can say it's better..

[quote name='Thomas96']and with that said.. Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stores is coming out soon; that game might end up being handheld game of the year... they definitely made some improvements over vice city (not that I thought it needed any). There's not one game on the DS that can say it's better..[/QUOTE]

There's not one game on the DS that is like it; whether or not any system has a better game than VCS is up to the purchaser. There's lotsa GTA action to play out there, even if you don't have a PSP; if Liberty City is any indication, we'll see a PS2 version for $30 less in five months' time anyway. Do I want VCS? You betcha. Not for 50 bones, though.

Besides, I'm too busy trying to exonerate Lana Skye. Dig?

another thing... 34.99 for New super mario was a straight rip off... granted the game is good, but, in terms of levels, smb 3 had more levels and game content.. at least on the psp, you take daxter 39.99, you getting a lot more game per buck than you do for a lot of games on the DS.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's not one game on the DS that is like it; whether or not any system has a better game than VCS is up to the purchaser. There's lotsa GTA action to play out there, even if you don't have a PSP; if Liberty City is any indication, we'll see a PS2 version for $30 less in five months' time anyway. Do I want VCS? You betcha. Not for 50 bones, though.

Besides, I'm too busy trying to exonerate Lana Skye. Dig?[/QUOTE]

might have to get that with the TRU b2g1 deal; I dig it.

[quote name='mykevermin']'cept B2G1 ends on 10/28, sweetcakes.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know.. phoenix wright, ace combat, and..... something else then... ugh, I'll just wait for a while, or maybe just get GTA then, I said I wasn't buying anymore games till the PS3 comes out.

[quote name='mykevermin']... if Liberty City is any indication, we'll see a PS2 version for $30 less in five months' time anyway. Do I want VCS? You betcha. Not for 50 bones, though.[/quote]
Here you go: http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=81848

Don't expect to be playing VCS on your PS2 any time soon. This makes sense though, why would Rockstar put the effort into porting a game to a system who's lifecycle is at it's end. Not to mention that I'm sure their effort is being focussed on GTA:IV. $50 isn't that bad a price to pay for what they (hopefully) will be giving. Got my preorder and will be at EB next Monday.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Here you go: http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=81848

Don't expect to be playing VCS on your PS2 any time soon. This makes sense though, why would Rockstar put the effort into porting a game to a system who's lifecycle is at it's end. Not to mention that I'm sure their effort is being focussed on GTA:IV. $50 isn't that bad a price to pay for what they (hopefully) will be giving. Got my preorder and will be at EB next Monday.[/QUOTE]

The way I see it is that Liberty City Stories frequently shows up at pawn shops around here for $20 - $25... I have a feeling Vice City Stories will be exactly the same.

I really want the game, I was going to pay $50 for it, but then I remembered how many times during my pawn shop runs Liberty City Stories has been there. People get bored of these games really fast.

And that article is just Rockstar covering their own asses... of course they are going to say there are no plans to port it, because they want everyone to buy it for the PSP right now. IIRC, when Liberty City Stories came out there was no plans to port that anywhere else, either.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Here you go: http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=81848

Don't expect to be playing VCS on your PS2 any time soon. This makes sense though, why would Rockstar put the effort into porting a game to a system who's lifecycle is at it's end. Not to mention that I'm sure their effort is being focussed on GTA:IV. $50 isn't that bad a price to pay for what they (hopefully) will be giving. Got my preorder and will be at EB next Monday.[/QUOTE]

I've read that, but the cynic in me says that the PS2 installed base is far too large to ignore. For the moment, sure, they'll say they have no plans to port it - that way it actually sells.

[quote name='mykevermin']I've read that, but the cynic in me says that the PS2 installed base is far too large to ignore. For the moment, sure, they'll say they have no plans to port it - that way it actually sells.[/quote]

Yeah, if they say that they'll release it on the PS2 in a year, no one will buy the PSP version for $50. They're not stupid enough to hurt the bottom line.

Thomas -- I was just joking around with you man. People were getting a little too crazy arguing about the two systems when we should all be playing the games instead of bitching about them.

honestly the psp version of lcs was better than the ps2 version, and the main reason was due to the custom soundtracks.. maybe this time, you'll be able to use mp3s. Instead of pushing Killzone and loco roco and ATV 2, pack this game in the psp 249.99 bundle.. Sony is not aggressive enough.. If nintendo can push a system with SNES graphics, you mean to tell me the best sony can do is two squirrels, or two baseballs (not to say it wasn't a good try) )

[quote name='javeryh']Probably not but I do think a PSP2 could be successful even if they didn't upgrade the horsepower of the system as long as they:

1. Added a second analog nub or added 2 real analog sticks (there's a great usb mod floating around)
2. Ditched the UMD in favor of pro duo based games. This would mean no load times, longer battery life and crazy piracy.
3. Allow homebrew

The PSP is great and can do a ton but it is severely lacking in AAA games and I think it has been flawed from the start.[/QUOTE]

Yup exactly my thoughts about the PSP on those first two. Homebrew doesn't matter as much to me, but I know lotsa people love it. They really outta work out the bugs and increase the durability of the PSP if they do a redesign, as well.

[quote name='javeryh']
3. Allow homebrew
[/QUOTE]
Can't really blame Sony for trying to stop homebrew on the PSP with how many people are just downloading the ISO's instead of buying the game.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm not going to address any more issues with you, cause obviously you're taking things too personally, called me delusional, idiot, pompous ass, etc. Make your point, post your topic, but I was born with one name and one name only Thomas Davis, Jr and I'd prefer if you'd address me as such. You don't need to try to diss me just to make a point..[/QUOTE]

He called you an idiot, yes, but the rest of the stuff he was referring to Iga-whatshisface.

Play games, be merry.

I love my PSP, i don't care what you homo-erectus' say. :D

Hilarious how everyone loves the Dreamcast with only one analog stick, yet hates the PSP because it only has one analog stick.

I hate THE analog stick on the PSP, it hurts my thumb, but I don't hate it because it only has one... I'm not playing alot of games that require two sticks to begin with.

[quote name='Thomas96']honestly the psp version of lcs was better than the ps2 version[/quote]

It doesn't matter if one version of a game is better or not. Everyone knows that the Xbox versions of most games are superior to the PS2 versions. Which version sold more?

Some people bought a PSP just for LCS but those same people were very very pissed when they ported to the PS2 and charged only $20 to boot. Those same people won't buy VCS on the PSP because they sold it off once they beat LCS. Rockstar would've been smarter to release LCS on the PS2 when VCS came out for the PSP.

Roufuss -- I think people are pissed off because the PSP features games that were originally designed for 2 analog sticks. If they're going to continue to port games then they should've made a second analog stick so people don't have to relearn how to play their favorite games on the road.

I don't really care about the second analog stick since I try not to play the ports but it would've been nice.

[quote name='Roufuss']Hilarious how everyone loves the Dreamcast with only one analog stick, yet hates the PSP because it only has one analog stick.

I hate THE analog stick on the PSP, it hurts my thumb, but I don't hate it because it only has one... I'm not playing alot of games that require two sticks to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I've often wondered about that myself but you forgot to add in the Nintendo 64, it only had one analog stick as well.

[quote name='depascal22']It doesn't matter if one version of a game is better or not. Everyone knows that the Xbox versions of most games are superior to the PS2 versions. Which version sold more?

Some people bought a PSP just for LCS but those same people were very very pissed when they ported to the PS2 and charged only $20 to boot. Those same people won't buy VCS on the PSP because they sold it off once they beat LCS. Rockstar would've been smarter to release LCS on the PS2 when VCS came out for the PSP.

Roufuss -- I think people are pissed off because the PSP features games that were originally designed for 2 analog sticks. If they're going to continue to port games then they should've made a second analog stick so people don't have to relearn how to play their favorite games on the road.

I don't really care about the second analog stick since I try not to play the ports but it would've been nice.[/QUOTE]

the ps2 version sold more only because it has a high user base, anything on the ps2 is going to outsell the psp version for that reason alone. GTA "stories" should be exclusive to the psp, as it's own series; that would definitely help to boost sales.

i agree with the homebrew comment. if they would stop fighting homebrew by adding crappy updates, id still have my system. I cant stand sony and their dominant attitude. I did enjoy playing earthbound while I had the system though. Always fun playing rpgs on handhelds

[quote name='tayaf69']i agree with the homebrew comment. if they would stop fighting homebrew by adding crappy updates, id still have my system. I cant stand sony and their dominant attitude. I did enjoy playing earthbound while I had the system though. Always fun playing rpgs on handhelds[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but people are using homebrew to pirate PSP game, so I can't really see how you could blame Sony for wanting their games to...you know...sell.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, but people are using homebrew to pirate PSP game, so I can't really see how you could blame Sony for wanting their games to...you know...sell.[/QUOTE]

sony should license some of the homebrew... or make their own version of it... that's the real answer..
fans know best, and if people are taking time to create psp applications, then sony should definitely make their own applications for the psp,

The psp is the only handheld to last this long against the gameboy/DS brand, the psp has nothing but blockbuster titles coming out for that chrismas rush, a much better line up than anything on the DS.

[quote name='Thomas96']the ps2 version sold more only because it has a high user base, anything on the ps2 is going to outsell the psp version for that reason alone. GTA "stories" should be exclusive to the psp, as it's own series; that would definitely help to boost sales.[/quote]

I agree with you that "stories" should be a PSP exclusive. But by porting it to the PS2, they basically told everyone to just wait for the console version. Rockstar was chasing the bucks that 100 million PS2 owners have and in doing so they screwed over the PSP.

Any console/handheld needs a killer app. Without an exclusive GTA spin-off, the PSP has very little original games coming out for it. I like what they did with the new Killzone but it's still a Killzone.

Don't start picking this apart by saying that I'm saying that there are NO original games coming out. I'm just saying that the PSP can't point to Lumines and LocoRoco and say that they have a huge number of original properties. The DS is guilty of this also but they're changing the games enough to make them unique to the system.

[quote name='depascal22']I agree with you that "stories" should be a PSP exclusive. But by porting it to the PS2, they basically told everyone to just wait for the console version. Rockstar was chasing the bucks that 100 million PS2 owners have and in doing so they screwed over the PSP.

Any console/handheld needs a killer app. Without an exclusive GTA spin-off, the PSP has very little original games coming out for it. I like what they did with the new Killzone but it's still a Killzone.

Don't start picking this apart by saying that I'm saying that there are NO original games coming out. I'm just saying that the PSP can't point to Lumines and LocoRoco and say that they have a huge number of original properties. The DS is guilty of this also but they're changing the games enough to make them unique to the system.[/QUOTE]

in the past, there weren't that many original games, or even killer apps for the psp. I always say during launch a system doesn't need a 'killer app' at that time. (you just need enough games to cover the basis, spiderman, ridge racer, wipeout, luminies[which was the system seller for me] Launch is the time where killer apps are born. When the psp launched, there were no killer apps... looking back.. Lumines ended up being the killer app born out of that. Post, launch has been weak for the psp, it's like we've been stuck in launch mode for the past year or so.. If developers put into the psp, like they put into the DS, the psp would be number one.. or a heck of a lot closer to the DS... when the DS lauched, there was no opposition from sony, no new game, no new commercial, nothing...

I think that they can port GTA VCS to the ps2, when it's ready to be a greatest hit on the psp, then they release it for ps2 as a greatest hit as well.

I've had both and prefer the PSP. I don't watch movies, browse the internet or listen to music with the thing. I just like the games better on PSP. I'm one of those guys who buys sports and fighting games.

I sold my PS2 because I could get most of what I played on the PSP, so the port issue is a bonus with me. Load times aren't great but besides on WWE, it's never been a major issue with me.

I remember when I went in to buy the PSP at my local GS, the guys behind the counter were practically begging me not to buy it. I find retailers have a major bias against the system. In the last month I've noticed that the PSP section in a couple of stores keeps getting shrunk. It makes no sense to me since the lineup has been getting bigger and better. I also noticed that GS and Circuit City no longer keep the games and movies in their own sections. It's confusing when you are browsing for a game and you have a movie sitting there.

DS is cool but I like my PSP better. I know lots of Nintendo people get pissed when people (wrongly) call their consoles and handhelds kiddie systems. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but be consistent.

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo']I've had both and prefer the PSP. I don't watch movies, browse the internet or listen to music with the thing. I just like the games better on PSP. I'm one of those guys who buys sports and fighting games.

I sold my PS2 because I could get most of what I played on the PSP, so the port issue is a bonus with me. Load times aren't great but besides on WWE, it's never been a major issue with me.

I remember when I went in to buy the PSP at my local GS, the guys behind the counter were practically begging me not to buy it. I find retailers have a major bias against the system. In the last month I've noticed that the PSP section in a couple of stores keeps getting shrunk. It makes no sense to me since the lineup has been getting bigger and better. I also noticed that GS and Circuit City no longer keep the games and movies in their own sections. It's confusing when you are browsing for a game and you have a movie sitting there.

DS is cool but I like my PSP better. I know lots of Nintendo people get pissed when people (wrongly) call their consoles and handhelds kiddie systems. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but be consistent.

RC[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting point: what factors are holding the PSP back?

1) bias (from retailers or consumers)
2) poor brand image in the public
3) the "psp is the ps2 lite" mentality
4) something else (or several somethings else)

I think #3 is a major factor, and since the PS2 installed base is enormous, consumers don't look at PSP titles as PSP titles, but as "less of the same game" than the PS2 version. There's no incentive to buy the PSP for the average, uninformed consumer (those people who buy Madden and GTA, or only big name titles).

OTOH, the DS is a system for which, even if the game is available on other systems (let's pick on Lego Star Wars), you *know* it's going to be a radically different game than the console and PSP versions; that is, ironically (in the sense that the PSP was pushing itself as being much more high-tech than the DS). So, the DS is a better option, presumably, since the same game as the PSP version can be bought on consoles people already own.

Generalizing, of course.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's an interesting point: what factors are holding the PSP back?

1) bias (from retailers or consumers)
2) poor brand image in the public
3) the "psp is the ps2 lite" mentality
4) something else (or several somethings else)

I think #3 is a major factor, and since the PS2 installed base is enormous, consumers don't look at PSP titles as PSP titles, but as "less of the same game" than the PS2 version. There's no incentive to buy the PSP for the average, uninformed consumer (those people who buy Madden and GTA, or only big name titles).

OTOH, the DS is a system for which, even if the game is available on other systems (let's pick on Lego Star Wars), you *know* it's going to be a radically different game than the console and PSP versions; that is, ironically (in the sense that the PSP was pushing itself as being much more high-tech than the DS). So, the DS is a better option, presumably, since the same game as the PSP version can be bought on consoles people already own.

Generalizing, of course.[/quote]
Again, my stance is that price is a big factor in holding back. Combine that with your #3 and people will say "Why the f*** would I spend $200 on a system when I can get the same games on a $129 system (or whatever the PS2 is at now)".

Sony needs to lower the price to a competative level. After this, then I think the PSP will gain ground with their targeted (mid teen - late 20's) audience.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Again, my stance is that price is a big factor in holding back. Combine that with your #3 and people will say "Why the f*** would I spend $200 on a system when I can get the same games on a $129 system (or whatever the PS2 is at now)".

Sony needs to lower the price to a competative level. After this, then I think the PSP will gain ground with their targeted (mid teen - late 20's) audience.[/QUOTE]

Well I kind of did the opposite of this by ditching the PS2 in favor of the PSP. I look at my PSP as more of a console than a handheld. I'm one of those "Madden" guys that gets crapped on by lots of gaming snobs here on CAG. I was so pleased with the PSP versions of Madden and FIFA that I found the PS2 versions to be redundant. Since I had a PC and a XBox for bigger screens, I sold the PS2. There is a neat feature with some of the newer games where you can play the same seasons on the PSP and PS2 - nice but not a big deal.

RC

I was also discouraged from buying a PSP at Gamestop. I bought it the day after it came out and I still haven't stop playing Lumines. It's not a perfect system by any means but it's a damn good one.

I just picked up a DS for my family and it's pretty damn fun. I'm not convinced that the games are any great leap forward in gaming but it's a great system for games that you can pick up and play for a few minutes.

(Didn't bother reading the other posts)

I'd have to say no. They are aiming for completely different audiences.

Nintendo DS is for the majority of gamers that could be satisfied by a portable experience resembling something like Solitaire, Snake or Minesweeper(simple "pick up and play" games you could find the same likings of for free on a PC).

Sony PSP targets the smaller audience that is interested in having a portable experience that lacks nothing from the consoles(more complex and devoted games such as what we'd see on consoles).

Sony can bring handheld gaming out of the ghetto, but that doesn't mean everyone will follow.

I say everyone just play what you play and be happy with it. Both are doing fine, and both have a great selection of games for the audience they target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back