Is There still time for the PSP to overtake the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Red Faction rules indeed. Such an undervalued FPS. I wish Volition and moreso THQ would continue the license, especially this gen as I would love to see the updated graphics (especially for a game of this nature) and how the geo mod level physics would have changed over time. That and since that game pretty much ruled on multiplayer with the bots. I would love to have it on Live. Red Faction is pretty much the most overlooked FPS from last gen. Actually, it ties with XIII as the most overlooked FPSes.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree that Red Faction and XIII are the most overlooked FPSes of the last gen. It's too bad because I really want to see geo mod again, and the cel shaded style can be great.

[quote name='rickonker']I totally agree that Red Faction and XIII are the most overlooked FPSes of the last gen. It's too bad because I really want to see geo mod again, and the cel shaded style can be great.[/quote]

When cel shading is done right, of course it is great. XIII was simply overlooked perfection. Exhilarating(sp) story that was absolutely riveting from start to finish. The cliffhanger ending is what kills me in that game as I know I'll probably never see a sequel, and that's where it hurts the most. The sneaking around int hat game was done perfectly and being able to pick up pretty much anything was fun. The way you killed people with storyboard paneling was awesome as well. I loved using the crossbow to shoot people for a headshot. The voice acting was great. I have very few qualms with that game other than maybe the controls could have used some tightening. Oh and it truly sucks that people did not buy that game. I will never let down the people who bought 50 Cent In Da Hood or whatever it's called over that game. Please Ubisoft, if you read this or any posts on XIII know that their is a fanbase and one that is feverous as ever for another game in this series. Please give this game a second chance and breathe life into it like you did with Prince of Persia.

And Red Faction, what can I say other than that game was perfection. People would point me in the direction of Halo at the time, and I'd say no young one Red Faction is the true messiah of FPS. There is so much potential in that game and so much that could have been done.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']When cel shading is done right, of course it is great. XIII was simply overlooked perfection. Exhilarating(sp) story that was absolutely riveting from start to finish. The cliffhanger ending is what kills me in that game as I know I'll probably never see a sequel, and that's where it hurts the most. The sneaking around int hat game was done perfectly and being able to pick up pretty much anything was fun. The way you killed people with storyboard paneling was awesome as well. I loved using the crossbow to shoot people for a headshot. The voice acting was great. I have very few qualms with that game other than maybe the controls could have used some tightening. Oh and it truly sucks that people did not buy that game. I will never let down the people who bought 50 Cent In Da Hood or whatever it's called over that game. Please Ubisoft, if you read this or any posts on XIII know that their is a fanbase and one that is feverous as ever for another game in this series. Please give this game a second chance and breathe life into it like you did with Prince of Persia.

And Red Faction, what can I say other than that game was perfection. People would point me in the direction of Halo at the time, and I'd say no young one Red Faction is the true messiah of FPS. There is so much potential in that game and so much that could have been done.[/QUOTE]
The story for XIII has been written, but I'd rather play a sequel than read it. I wonder if anyone still plays it on XBL...

[quote name='Thomas96']I post US sales, and you post Japanese... horrible with numbers, but a great DS fanboy... I say there's hope for the PSP to do well, and you go trying to shoot it down..[/QUOTE]

Why does everyone see Strell as a fanboy for any system? He has shown spite towards any and all systems ever made in these forums. Obviously you havent paid much attention or are merely using fanboy to attack someones character as you have been backed into a corner by facts and numbers. You may as well start a thread is there still time for the gamecube to overtake the xbox.... PSP - slow death DS - good stable growth for now. The numbers do not lie. If you like PSP good for you...just enjoy it in your shrinking niche and leave your Delusions in the back of your mind.

Why has this thread been going on forever?

I'll just state my overall opinion. Without a doubt, I am a big Sony/PlayStation fan, and I'm definitely one of the biggest PSP supporters here at CAG. However, I will not deny that the DS is ahead (by a long shot), and the PSP will never catch up. The PSP could come a little closer to the DS (or just a big spike in sales), with a complete redesign (smaller size, better d-pad, better analog nub, more ergonomic, etc.), lower price (like $130-$150 with 1GB memory stick), lots of PS1 downloads, PSN on PSP, and more killer games (that will never come to PS2). Still, I love my PSP and will continue to support it as long as games are still coming to it. I could careless if DS is crushing it (I own a DS and like it too), as long as PSP has its own games appealing to me, keeping me happy.

If PSP were to completely die with no more games coming out, oh well, I bought 42 games for it (all but 3-4 are definite keepers), and I would probably buy more games to end up with around 50-60 (Very good number, when compared to my other consoles/handhelds). I'd still be very satisfied with my purchase (like I was with my Dreamcast, paying $200 for it at launch).

That's just my 2 cents.

I've also been very satisfied with my PSP purchase. I've also been satisfied with my DS Lite, 360, PS2, and Xbox. Why do we always have to pit 2 similar systems against each other and make people decide which is better? They're all pretty good.

[quote name='rickonker']The story for XIII has been written, but I'd rather play a sequel than read it. I wonder if anyone still plays it on XBL...[/quote]

Yaeh, I found some of them at last Comic-Con and they're not bad, but I want my XIII-2 sequel.

Does anyone have demographics of actual sales?

That's what I am wondering: in other words..

Are the majority of sales for the GBA and DS in the United States from young children and parents?

The same can apply to Japan too: how many people bought a DS for Brain Age and never picked up another game for it?

More than anything, can Japan really indicate anything? The Saturn was a certified success in Japan and a sadly, failure in the US. The Dreamcast was a failure in Japan, and luckily, more succesful in the US. Likewise, the Xbox 360 is "Dead" in Japan, yet in the US of the word it thrives [thank god]

Also, while I am sure people will buy DQ IX in hordes: what happens when the public picks up the game and it's not Dragon Quest? Seriously, the majority of Dragon Quest fans ENJOY the formula, they've played it for eight games without much change, what makes anyone so sure that a game that [according to the news site posted] departs from the game play the series is known for will have as much success? Would anyone be surprised if Cheapy reported dozens of DS lites and DQ IX in used game stores the next day?

See, that's the thing...how many children will get a pink/black DS with Mario or Hannah Montana? How many will drop it within the next year for something else? How many will "grow up" and sell it for an iPod or put it down because they hae "dates"? How many people who buy PSPs this season, will buy games, memory sticks, UMD's, and what not? The sales of DS lites are inflated by children, parents, and people who do not actively fuel software sales.

The same thing applies to Gameboy Advanced? Who is getting all these GBAs? Gamers that buy a game every three weeks, or 7 year olds who will play Pokemon for the next year and a half?

Hardware sales coupled with software sales indicate things to game publishers and developers.

The DS happens to excel in both. The demographics of who is buying games isnt all that important, but the kind of game and how well it sells can sort of indicate demographics. Love and Berry DS is in its 3rd week in Japan and is sitting around 500k copies, and its primarily a girl's game.

Who is buying Animal Crossing? Is it just kids or adults? With 3.5 million units sold in Japan, does it really matter?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Hardware sales coupled with software sales indicate things to game publishers and developers.

The DS happens to excel in both. The demographics of who is buying games isnt all that important, but the kind of game and how well it sells can sort of indicate demographics. Love and Berry DS is in its 3rd week in Japan and is sitting around 500k copies, and its primarily a girl's game.

Who is buying Animal Crossing? Is it just kids or adults? With 3.5 million units sold in Japan, does it really matter?[/QUOTE]

Oh god, I want Love and Berry. I didn't know about it until now. Yes, oh yes, this seems like another game I will kill for..

As a side note, the post above doesn't indicate my position..and this is my position

Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, PSX, PS2, XBOX 360, PS3..those are my consoles [okay, the PS3 will be, don't have one yet]

but I have always preferred the Nintendo handhelds, even when there are alternatives.

I wish there were viable alternatives, and Sony seems to be going head to head with the DS and not totally losing like other past efforts [nomad, gamegear, wonderswan, neo geo pocket, etc]

I wish Sony could do well, I wish they could..but there's no way they can....even if every single serious minded gamer bought a PSP and 5 games..it wouldn't make up for millions of parents and kids buying the DS...

GOD I WANT LOVE AND BERRY..IT LOOKS SO CUTE!!!

[quote name='sarausagi']
See, that's the thing...how many children will get a pink/black DS with Mario or Hannah Montana? How many will drop it within the next year for something else? How many will "grow up" and sell it for an iPod or put it down because they hae "dates"? How many people who buy PSPs this season, will buy games, memory sticks, UMD's, and what not? The sales of DS lites are inflated by children, parents, and people who do not actively fuel software sales. [/QUOTE]

Well yes and no. Moms buying games for the kids and kids actively boost some game sales. Take Nintendogs for instance. I've overheard at least seven moms/aunts calling home to ask which version of Nintendogs the kids don't have despite the fact that you can earn all of the different breeds by playing through the game. Furthermore, kids generate a lot of money for the bigger companies by buying lots of tie ins. Every parent I know with a gaming kid from age 3-12 has at least one Spongebob game despite the dubious quality. They're the ones who buy the Charlotte's Webs and the Shreks of the world. While they aren't buying a new game every week or two, they still pump a lot of money back into the majors by buying tons of stuff we won't even touch.

Also when the PSP first came out, games didn't sell in the US. UMD movies did helping game developers none. It's a two way street.

[quote name='furyk']Well yes and no. Moms buying games for the kids and kids actively boost some game sales. Take Nintendogs for instance. I've overheard at least seven moms/aunts calling home to ask which version of Nintendogs the kids don't have despite the fact that you can earn all of the different breeds by playing through the game. Furthermore, kids generate a lot of money for the bigger companies by buying lots of tie ins. Every parent I know with a gaming kid from age 3-12 has at least one Spongebob game despite the dubious quality. They're the ones who buy the Charlotte's Webs and the Shreks of the world. While they aren't buying a new game every week or two, they still pump a lot of money back into the majors by buying tons of stuff we won't even touch.

Also when the PSP first came out, games didn't sell in the US. UMD movies did helping game developers none. It's a two way street.[/QUOTE]

See..that's what I mean..there's FOUR versions of Nintendogs...and dozens of license games.....which is what many people buying these consoles aRE buying as well.

It just completely throws off who the "key market" it is..it obviously isn't us..but is it really the parents and the spongebob players?

And that makes it difficult for me to say "Oh yeah, the DS already beat the crap out of the PSP several times" when I see that more people buy "That's So Raven" than Cooking Mama.

[quote name='sarausagi']See..that's what I mean..there's FOUR versions of Nintendogs...and dozens of license games.....which is what many people buying these consoles aRE buying as well.

It just completely throws off who the "key market" it is..it obviously isn't us..but is it really the parents and the spongebob players?

And that makes it difficult for me to say "Oh yeah, the DS already beat the crap out of the PSP several times" when I see that more people buy "That's So Raven" than Cooking Mama.[/QUOTE]

Well the "kids who buy whatever" have always played a part in the Nintendo handheld market. The only company that never seemed to embrace that market was Microsoft. The thing is though is that even though a decent portion of the market is buying That's So Raven or Spongebob doesn't mean that people aren't buying New Super Mario Brothers or Phoenix Wright. Also just because Nintendogs has four versions out, five counting Best Friends, doesn't make it a bad game. The five best selling DS games worldwide are still great games (NSMB, Pokemon:D/P, Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and Nintendogs).

Also, I think Cooking Mama sold over 100,000 copies (big numbers for a niche title) in the US alone and it was a huge hit in Japan. It's certainly outsold any of the non quality kiddie games.

[quote name='furyk']Well the "kids who buy whatever" have always played a part in the Nintendo handheld market. The only company that never seemed to embrace that market was Microsoft. The thing is though is that even though a decent portion of the market is buying That's So Raven or Spongebob doesn't mean that people aren't buying New Super Mario Brothers or Phoenix Wright. Also just because Nintendogs has four versions out, five counting Best Friends, doesn't make it a bad game. The five best selling DS games worldwide are still great games (NSMB, Pokemon:D/P, Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and Nintendogs).

Also, I think Cooking Mama sold over 100,000 copies (big numbers for a niche title) in the US alone and it was a huge hit in Japan. It's certainly outsold any of the non quality kiddie games.[/QUOTE]

God, if DS is hot now, imagine what will happen when Pokemon comes out here? Makes me wonder if FF VII, Gran Turismo, Parappa coming out around the same time would change things...three huge titles with millions of fans might just be the trick.

[quote name='MarkMark']Why does everyone see Strell as a fanboy for any system? He has shown spite towards any and all systems ever made in these forums. Obviously you havent paid much attention or are merely using fanboy to attack someones character as you have been backed into a corner by facts and numbers. You may as well start a thread is there still time for the gamecube to overtake the xbox.... PSP - slow death DS - good stable growth for now. The numbers do not lie. If you like PSP good for you...just enjoy it in your shrinking niche and leave your Delusions in the back of your mind.[/QUOTE]

Strell is a fanboy... and I guess you're his padawan... This is a message board young padawan, and we discuss topics... in this topic we're discussing the possibilty of the psp to overtake the DS. Presently, the psp is not that far behind the DS.. in the US... about 2 million.

fanboy quote of the day: "If you like PSP good for you...just enjoy it in your shrinking niche and leave your Delusions in the back of your mind."

which says to non fanboys - don't even fathom anything negative about the DS because then we ds- lovers get angry and defensive and all bitchy

The PSP failed and it's not going to catch up to the DS because from the get-go, Sony's vision of their portable was flawed.

Sony went after the portable gaming market with the same mindset as they do the home console market, to go after the hardcore gamers. But hardcore gamers love two things about their games, great looks, and deep/competitive gameplay. Both of which are better and optimized on a home console. Honestly speaking, I think to most hardcore gamers, having a portable is really more of a light hobby, any game a hardcore gamer takes seriously is a game he/she wants to play on a home tv with a stable and comfortable setup and few to no interruptions.

This is why Sony's PSP failed.

It went after an audience in an environment that audience considers secondary. It didn't help that many games were ports, and that load times were too high, AND controls were less than optimal... which is just sad considering that a handheld system by definition always has sub-optimal controls because you play it on-the-go and in varied environs.

It was significantly more expensive, AND tried to bait people's media needs, but actually, just spread itself thinner by trying to sell itself on media playing capabilities. It's not that hardcore gamers don't care about media players, it's just not very attractive when attached to a handheld gaming device.

Sorry PSP, unless the PS3 soars, but even then, you should be redesigned.

[quote name='Thomas96']Strell is a fanboy... and I guess you're his padawan... This is a message board young padawan, and we discuss topics... in this topic we're discussing the possibilty of the psp to overtake the DS. Presently, the psp is not that far behind the DS.. in the US... about 2 million.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this statement is it doesn't take into account the fact that the PSP has been significantly outsold by the DS since the Lite came out. It's like the Saturn and the PS1 at this point. The Saturn sold well out of the gate in the US but eventually got raped by PS1 sales. Saying the PSP can catch the DS still is like saying that the Saturn could have caught the PS1 because it led sales once.

This isn't people discounting the PSP, this is people coming to terms with the fact the DS won't be caught by the PSP unless something serious changes in a redesign. People are pissed by your blindness to the situation. It's like you're arguing the Tampa Bay Bucs are a great team because they made the playoffs last year (despite the fact they're 3-11 this year).

I like my PSP. It's a fine system with a few serious flaws holding it back, the first of which is price and the second is load times. Yes, they are that bad especially when your DS has no load times and the games that are usually ten bucks cheaper upon release (and if you want to argue $40 DS games like FF3, lets bring in the $50 it'll cost to pick up SvR 07 or GTA: VCS). It's just that at the moment, early PSP sales were driven by excitement over Sony entering into the portable movement not by the games. There are still great games for the system, its just that it won't ever pass the DS again in the US unless there's a redesign.

[quote name='furyk']
It's like you're arguing the Tampa Bay Bucs are a great team because they made the playoffs last year (despite the fact they're 3-11 this year).
.[/QUOTE]

:cry:

[quote name='Shion']The PSP failed and it's not going to catch up to the DS because from the get-go, Sony's vision of their portable was flawed.

Sony went after the portable gaming market with the same mindset as they do the home console market, to go after the hardcore gamers. But hardcore gamers love two things about their games, great looks, and deep/competitive gameplay. Both of which are better and optimized on a home console. Honestly speaking, I think to most hardcore gamers, having a portable is really more of a light hobby, any game a hardcore gamer takes seriously is a game he/she wants to play on a home tv with a stable and comfortable setup and few to no interruptions.

This is why Sony's PSP failed.

It went after an audience in an environment that audience considers secondary. It didn't help that many games were ports, and that load times were too high, AND controls were less than optimal... which is just sad considering that a handheld system by definition always has sub-optimal controls because you play it on-the-go and in varied environs.

It was significantly more expensive, AND tried to bait people's media needs, but actually, just spread itself thinner by trying to sell itself on media playing capabilities. It's not that hardcore gamers don't care about media players, it's just not very attractive when attached to a handheld gaming device.

Sorry PSP, unless the PS3 soars, but even then, you should be redesigned.[/QUOTE]PSP IS still selling, so it's not even dead yet. It may not be #1, but it continues to sell okay at its price point. Sony makes a profit on the PSP, and as long as they sell it, they probably won't drop it (It helps offset for PS3 loses).
[quote name='62t']well Pokemon will be out next year and that will be a huge blow to psp[/QUOTE]There has been a few Pokemon's on DS, and they haven't done a whole lot. That might convince parents to get their kids a DS over a GBA, because whenever I go out, I still see parents wanting to buy their kids a GBA (because all they know is Gameboy, as a handheld. If anyone is pushing a DS on them (if a kid didn't ask for it), it's the store clerk because they'll mention it can play GBA games).
[quote name='furyk']It's like you're arguing the Tampa Bay Bucs are a great team because they made the playoffs last year (despite the fact they're 3-11 this year).[/QUOTE]I don't see a problem with that. ;) I use to argue about how great the Chicago Bulls and Bears team was, over 3 years ago, despite them having losing records. ;) Luckily, they are winning now so I'm ecstatic. :D

The psp didn't fail.... it's not number one.. but it definitely didn't fail and it's definitely not a saturn or a dreamcast... in that case the xbox failed... or the gamecube failed... you don't have to be number one... and as a matter of fact, it's done better than anyother portable device versus the gameboy family which have basically been unopposed since about 1986, when I got my original gb brick.

I ask one more question... has Sony with what they got w/ the PSP done all they can do to at least give it s shot at being number one... to answer that myself... no.. no price drop, they didn't have a great library (they do now), plus ps2 games were being ported...

[quote name='Thomas96']
I ask one more question... has Sony with what they got w/ the PSP done all they can do to at least give it s shot at being number one... [/QUOTE]

That's not a question, nor is it a coherent sentence.

I'm going to assume you meant to ask, "Has Sony done everything it can to give the PSP a reasonable chance at winning this 'handheld war'?" Honestly, I don't think Sony understands why they're not dominating the market yet. I think the PSP has (had) the potential to be a lot greater than it is, at the very least in terms of how well-received it's been worldwide. Sony is too arrogant to even see their mistakes, much less own up to them.

And I don't see why everyone is getting so defensive, on either side. The title of this thread is "Is There still time for the PSP to overtake the DS." The short answer is very clearly, "No." There is no chance, not worldwide, not even in the U.S. That's not necessarily saying the DS is a better handheld, or that the PSP is unsuccessful.

There is plenty of time for the PSP to grow and improve its market share. There is time for it to get some original A-titles, games that will move thousands of systems single-handedly. But it will never "overtake" the DS. Get over it.

[quote name='defiance_17']That's not a question, nor is it a coherent sentence.

I'm going to assume you meant to ask, "Has Sony done everything it can to give the PSP a reasonable chance at winning this 'handheld war'?" Honestly, I don't think Sony understands why they're not dominating the market yet. I think the PSP has (had) the potential to be a lot greater than it is, at the very least in terms of how well-received it's been worldwide. Sony is too arrogant to even see their mistakes, much less own up to them.

And I don't see why everyone is getting so defensive, on either side. The title of this thread is "Is There still time for the PSP to overtake the DS." The short answer is very clearly, "No." There is no chance, not worldwide, not even in the U.S. That's not necessarily saying the DS is a better handheld, or that the PSP is unsuccessful.

There is plenty of time for the PSP to grow and improve its market share. There is time for it to get some original A-titles, games that will move thousands of systems single-handedly. But it will never "overtake" the DS. Get over it.[/QUOTE]

mind you.. the psp blew the ds phat out of the water.. the DSL was released, w/ a redesign and a price drop... give the psp a redesign and a price drop and lets see what it does... give it a decent library, (which it has) and yes people get defensive when they start off w/ stfu...

[quote name='Thomas96']mind you.. the psp blew the ds phat out of the water.. the DSL was released, w/ a redesign and a price drop... give the psp a redesign and a price drop and lets see what it does... give it a decent library, (which it has) and yes people get defensive when they start off w/ stfu...[/QUOTE]
:lol: :lol: :lol: what world do you live in?

if the ds lite didn't come out, the psp would be number one right now... maybe...

oh yeah, the psp might get a redesign...

[quote name='Thomas96']if the ds lite didn't come out, the psp would be number one right now... maybe...

oh yeah, the psp might get a redesign...[/QUOTE]
I doubt it. The race might be more even in the US, but I doubt the PSP would be number one by very much, if at all.

Isn't is still somewhat close in the US though for DS/PSP sales?

Think the PSP is struggling? Think again. Sony has told MCV that it is confident of selling one million units in the UK before the end of the year, safely securing its place as the second best-selling console of 2006.
After a raft of online fanboy disdain and hype surrounding its home console rivals, the PSP has managed to comfortably outsell both PS2 and Xbox 360 in 2006 – leaving its performance at UK retail second only to Nintendo’s DS.

“People mention us in the same breath as DS because we’re both handheld products, but we’re actually going after very different markets,” Sony UK’s commercial director Kevin Jowett told MCV. “We’ve put in just under £300 million of turnover at retail with PSP because we’re such a boys console and we’ve hit the mark with older gamers.”

The PSP arrived in the UK to much fanfare last September, and quickly became the fastest selling console the territory had ever seen. But the rise of the DS and the troubling performance of UMD have dampened enthusiasm surrounding the format.

However, ChartTrack’s statistics bear out the fact that 2006 has truly been the Year Of The Handheld – and that PSP has been a dominant force. And Sony sees much more to come next year.

Jowett added: “The evolution you’ll see on PSP will be greater than any console Sony has ever released, starting with new peripherals like the PSP camera, which is out in early 2007.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/PSP-to-hit-1m-UK-sales-in-2006
[quote name='Demontooth']I have both and I like both. Competition is good.[/QUOTE]
I agree. That's why I'm more supportive of handhelds this time around, due to competition.

Um... yeah.

"While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch, Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week, which is not only the highest week's sales since the console’s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo’s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe. "

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=pEUMLLwWPqv4Y7rEeokibLovlU42YmDV

(I couldn't find numbers for the UK alone).

Also, if you read that a little closer it says "Sony has told MCV that it is confident of selling one million units in the UK before the end of the year, safely securing its place as the second best-selling console of 2006."

Notice that it doesn't say Sony has sold one million units in the UK. Also, what's the number one selling console in the region this past year like the article says?

While it is nice to see the PSP selling decently in the UK and across Europe, Sony has pissed away a lot of good will in the region. From the massively delayed launch of the PSP to the delay of the PS3 until "March", Sony seems to be treating Europe as second class citizens. This is contrary to the very public courting on Europe by both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Thomas96,

Your argument is flawed because you are assuming that the Nintendo wouldn't react to a price drop/re-design by Sony. If the PSP gets redesigned, then the NDS-ultra Lite comes out, etc etc etc, which is basically your argument. Very circular.

Realistically, it's impossible for NDS to lose to the PSP in marketshare now. I love the PSP and wish it had a little more success, but the DS is king and you guys are INSANE if you think it can surpass the DS in sales. Maybe if you only considered the NA continent it would be possible, but unless Sharp decides to stop manufacturing screens and there was some other shady business going on to stop production of DS's, it's not gonna happen.

[quote name='suffah']Thomas96,

Your argument is flawed because you are assuming that the Nintendo wouldn't react to a price drop/re-design by Sony. If the PSP gets redesigned, then the NDS-ultra Lite comes out, etc etc etc, which is basically your argument. Very circular.

Realistically, it's impossible for NDS to lose to the PSP in marketshare now. I love the PSP and wish it had a little more success, but the DS is king and you guys are INSANE if you think it can surpass the DS in sales. Maybe if you only considered the NA continent it would be possible, but unless Sharp decides to stop manufacturing screens and there was some other shady business going on to stop production of DS's, it's not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit Japan is lost... but in the US, people like the psp, people bought the psp, but it didn't get fair support, for the first 6-7 months, all it got was silly ports of ps2 games.... Didn't get a good game until GTA VC, heck and Lumines was the system seller..... I think a redesigned psp would be good around April 22, 2007, when Pokemon diamond and pearl comes out. psp doesn't have to win the fight... psp is like cobra and G.I Joe is DS... we know Joe is gonna win, but cobra just needs to be there to spoil the party...

my argument is for the psp to make some moves... so far since it's release... there's been only one price drop... we just got some good games. no new colors, no emulated ps1 games for psp owners(w/o ps3), no redsign, no camera, no gbs (gps)... honeslty, sony should just make a psp w/ a touch screen, hard drive and two analog pads...

[quote name='Thomas96']if the ds lite didn't come out, the psp would be number one right now... maybe...

oh yeah, the psp might get a redesign...[/quote]

You're out of your mind. The DS regardless of a redesign would be number one. It was leading into the PSP even with the summer months. It's just that the redesign propelled its status at an accelerated rate. If it was still the DS Phat (as you put it) right now around christmas, you'd still be seeing them sold out everywhere and PSP piling up. For every PSP game I buy, I get at least 3-4 mroe DS games.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'll admit Japan is lost... but in the US, people like the psp, people bought the psp, but it didn't get fair support, for the first 6-7 months, all it got was silly ports of ps2 games.... Didn't get a good game until GTA VC, heck and Lumines was the system seller..... I think a redesigned psp would be good around April 22, 2007, when Pokemon diamond and pearl comes out. psp doesn't have to win the fight... psp is like cobra and G.I Joe is DS... we know Joe is gonna win, but cobra just needs to be there to spoil the party...

my argument is for the psp to make some moves... so far since it's release... there's been only one price drop... we just got some good games. no new colors, no emulated ps1 games for psp owners(w/o ps3), no redsign, no camera, no gbs (gps)... honeslty, sony should just make a psp w/ a touch screen, hard drive and two analog pads...[/quote]

A redesign with what people want will never happen so get that out of your head. It woudl fuck the consumers who have already bought the PSP. PSP should have come out with two analog sticks/sticks that raised out of the system and could be clicked in rather than a stupid nub thing that everybody hardly uses. A redesign with two analogs would fuck game makers also. All the people that I know who have PSPs use theirs for emulation.

[quote name='anomynous']:lol: :lol: :lol: what world do you live in?[/quote]

He's a fanboy, logic doesn't work for him. He's disillusioned at this point and still seeing his mirage.

If the a redesigned PSP had dual analog sticks that stick up, then people would bitch 24/7 about their analog sticks that broke off. Stop bitching about what the DS and PSP don't have and embrace their unique qualities.

[quote name='depascal22']If the a redesigned PSP had dual analog sticks that stick up, then people would bitch 24/7 about their analog sticks that broke off. Stop bitching about what the DS and PSP don't have and embrace their unique qualities.[/QUOTE]

I have to second this. I can't quite grasp the complaints of the "it needs two analog sticks" crowd. It's not always perfect, sure, but I've seen and played a number of games that innovatively use the controls the PSP does have.

Nevertheless, people will continue to assert the very objectve truth that one system is inherently (I'm not talking sales, I'm talking de facto) better than the other. I, for one, think this thread needs to be dropped (I like the PSP as much as ol' Thomas, but he sure isn't a posterchild for anything but poor arguments) and/or locked. The natural problem, of course, is that a new thread will near-immediately rise in its place.

[quote name='furyk']
While it is nice to see the PSP selling decently in the UK and across Europe, Sony has pissed away a lot of good will in the region. From the massively delayed launch of the PSP to the delay of the PS3 until "March", Sony seems to be treating Europe as second class citizens. This is contrary to the very public courting on Europe by both Microsoft and Nintendo.[/QUOTE]Ah. no.

For one, Sony delayed the launch for the Europeans can actually have a GOOD launch, and not a rushed one. A good reason for delaying the PS3 in the U.K. has to do with how huge Singstar is throughout Europe (making sure it's a launch game). They'll be receiving what we did, plus Singstar, MotorStorm, VF5, and many others. Also, Sony has promised the country a good firmware upgrade, that adds tons of new features to PS3 and fixes other issues (it will debut in March, for the European launch). Sony is also allowing people in Europe to RESERVE their online name, unlike the U.S. and Japan (can only signup if you have a PS3). Sony still has a lot of internal studios throughout Europe (many in the U.K.) with lots of popularity, so Sony isn't pissing off people in the U.K. If anything, Sony is doing them a favor by not having to deal with a VERY limited number of consoles, rushed launch, etc. By delaying (similar to us getting PSP and PS2 later) PS3, we got a more refined launch while Japan got a mess.

Sorry furyk, I already know you're a Nintendo fanboy anyway.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']A redesign with what people want will never happen so get that out of your head. It woudl fuck the consumers who have already bought the PSP. PSP should have come out with two analog sticks/sticks that raised out of the system and could be clicked in rather than a stupid nub thing that everybody hardly uses. A redesign with two analogs would fuck game makers also. All the people that I know who have PSPs use theirs for emulation.[/QUOTE]No, only one analog nub is needed. Dreamcast was JUST fine with one analog stick, so I don't see why two is needed for PSP. Also, using two on PSP would make controls even more complicated than they should be, on a handheld.

Not everyone uses their PSP for emulation. There's NOT one emulator running on my PSP (their ass anyway) and I use my PSP mostly for PSP games.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']For every PSP game I buy, I get at least 3-4 mroe DS games.[/QUOTE]For every DS game I buy, I buy 3-4 PSP games (I have 14 DS games compared to 42 PSP games. I think PSP has better games; therefore, I own more for it).

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You're out of your mind. The DS regardless of a redesign would be number one. It was leading into the PSP even with the summer months. It's just that the redesign propelled its status at an accelerated rate. If it was still the DS Phat (as you put it) right now around christmas, you'd still be seeing them sold out everywhere and PSP piling up. For every PSP game I buy, I get at least 3-4 mroe DS games.[/QUOTE]

Every system has to earn it's way..... the DS hasnt had to fight to be number one... it always has been basically since 1986.. so rather than assume what impact that psp will have, I say release a redesign, and just see what happens... and start it off at a price drop...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']He's a fanboy, logic doesn't work for him. He's disillusioned at this point and still seeing his mirage.[/QUOTE]

well someone has to think of something... you'd have us playing mario, mario kart, and pokemon for the next 80 years...

[quote name='Thomas96']well someone has to think of something... you'd have us playing mario, mario kart, and pokemon for the next 80 years...[/QUOTE]
This may be the best post Thomas96 has made in this thread...

[quote name='Thomas96']well someone has to think of something... you'd have us playing mario, mario kart, and pokemon for the next 80 years...[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope you're not implying that the the PSP is somehow more innovative than the DS...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ah. no.

For one, Sony delayed the launch for the Europeans can actually have a GOOD launch, and not a rushed one. A good reason for delaying the PS3 in the U.K. has to do with how huge Singstar is throughout Europe (making sure it's a launch game). They'll be receiving what we did, plus Singstar, MotorStorm, VF5, and many others. Also, Sony has promised the country a good firmware upgrade, that adds tons of new features to PS3 and fixes other issues (it will debut in March, for the European launch). Sony is also allowing people in Europe to RESERVE their online name, unlike the U.S. and Japan (can only signup if you have a PS3). Sony still has a lot of internal studios throughout Europe (many in the U.K.) with lots of popularity, so Sony isn't pissing off people in the U.K. If anything, Sony is doing them a favor by not having to deal with a VERY limited number of consoles, rushed launch, etc. By delaying (similar to us getting PSP and PS2 later) PS3, we got a more refined launch while Japan got a mess.[/quote]

Three things.

1. Let me just reiterate what you said. Sony is doing Europe a favor by delaying the system. That has to be the most asinine argument ever. It's got two ways of being interpreted. The first is by launching buggy and screwed up units in Japan and the United States, Sony doesn't care about either region. They care about Europe because they aren't launching screwed up units to them.... or they don't care about Europe as much as the US and Japan. What sounds like the most likely scenario?

2. The PSP wasn't delayed by a month or two month in Europe. It was launched six months after the US launch (which was launched only two after the Japanese launch, FYI) which did have a bunch of great games at launch like Wipeout, Luminese, and Metal Gear Ac!d. What was Sony's reasoning for it? High demand for the system.... for six months after launch. Even 360 demand tapered off by March (and that was fueled by the Christmas rush). The PSP was not in high demand over the Summer of 2005 anywhere. It sold well in the US yes, but not well enough to justify delaying the European launch six months.

3. It's nice to know that you're hyperly defending the PS3 with opinions about what Europe thinks. As an American (I'm guessing you are too) I see how Sony treats us in terms of supply. I also see how Microsoft stationed X0# conferences in Europe, and how the biggest European developer, Ubi Soft, has tossed tons of games at the Wii and not the PS3 or PSP. Anyone who thinks that Sony has been doing any favors to Europe must have gone blind during the whole Lik Sang debacle.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Sorry furyk, I already know you're a Nintendo fanboy anyway.[/quote]

OH MAN. THAT HURT! Unlike most people posting in this thread who aren't squarely in the Sony camp, I have a PSP. I've also offered opinions that just don't go down into name calling. But being called a fanboy by a fanboy. I need some Neosporin because that just cut me the fuck up.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No, only one analog nub is needed. Dreamcast was JUST fine with one analog stick, so I don't see why two is needed for PSP. Also, using two on PSP would make controls even more complicated than they should be, on a handheld.[/quote]

Having one analog nub it's the problem, it's having a nub period. The nub just doesn't have the type of comfort or control a stick itself would have. I have no idea how they'd design a stick for a portable unit (short of something that popped into the actual unit), but the nub has got to go if there is a redesign. I suggest that Sony look at the stick on the Neo Geo Pocket Color and make it a bit less "arcadey" if (and hopefully) when they redesign the unit.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Not everyone uses their PSP for emulation. There's NOT one emulator running on my PSP (their ass anyway) and I use my PSP mostly for PSP games.[/quote]

Neither do I. I hate emulation, and it really shouldn't be brought up into a conversation about the portable systems.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']For every DS game I buy, I buy 3-4 PSP games (I have 14 DS games compared to 42 PSP games. I think PSP has better games; therefore, I own more for it).[/QUOTE]

And I like the DS more then the PSP because I think the DS has better games and consequently own more games for my DS. If that makes me a Nintendo fanboy, then so be it.

[quote name='defiance_17']I sincerely hope you're not implying that the the PSP is somehow more innovative than the DS...[/QUOTE]

Nah, it seems like he's implying that the PSP has done more for innovative gaming then Nintendo has over the past 20+ years.

[quote name='furyk']Nah, it seems like he's implying that the PSP has done more for innovative gaming then Nintendo has over the past 20+ years.[/QUOTE]

YES! I'm implying that the PSP has done more innovative things for a handheld gaming device since 1986. The gb, gba, gb sb, has all done the same exact thing, same nes, and snes games. The only new thing that the ds brought to the table is the touch screen. PSP, has web brouser, basic mp3 function, movie watching function, basically a portable ps2, downloadable games.... online games... thanks to the psp, the the next ds will have to add those things if it even wants the slightest chance of being successful.... also, psp has better library of games overall... whereas the ds, has a couple of hits.. mario, mario kart... same old nes, and snes games that's been driving nintendo all these years... so here it is... PSP is more Innovated than the DS... by a long shot!

[quote name='Thomas96']YES! I'm implying that the PSP has done more innovative things for a handheld gaming device since 1986. The gb, gba, gb sb, has all done the same exact thing, same nes, and snes games. The only new thing that the ds brought to the table is the touch screen. PSP, has web brouser, basic mp3 function, movie watching function, basically a portable ps2, downloadable games.... online games... thanks to the psp, the the next ds will have to add those things if it even wants the slightest chance of being successful.... also, psp has better library of games overall... whereas the ds, has a couple of hits.. mario, mario kart... same old nes, and snes games that's been driving nintendo all these years... so here it is... PSP is more Innovated than the DS... by a long shot![/QUOTE]

Quoted for insanity.

and sony really stifiled the psp's innovation... by not allowing homebrew, and that's part of the reason why they're not number one. I definitely thing for the next psp, it needs to run a pocket linux pc type program... as an OS You guys give DS too much credit... it sold well, yeah, because there was no opposition.. DS finally brought some new games to the table, but the rest of the gb lineup was just ports... ports and more ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back