Is There still time for the PSP to overtake the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Thomas96']]You guys give DS too much credit... it sold well, yeah, because there was no opposition.. DS finally brought some new games to the table, but the rest of the gb lineup was just ports... ports and more ports...[/QUOTE]

Says the PSP supporter. What games are ports on the DS anyways? Actually, I'm not curious at all. I just love watching you post right now.

[quote name='Thomas96']YES! I'm implying that the PSP has done more innovative things for a handheld gaming device since 1986. The gb, gba, gb sb, has all done the same exact thing, same nes, and snes games. The only new thing that the ds brought to the table is the touch screen. PSP, has web brouser, basic mp3 function, movie watching function, basically a portable ps2, downloadable games.... online games... thanks to the psp, the the next ds will have to add those things if it even wants the slightest chance of being successful.... also, psp has better library of games overall... whereas the ds, has a couple of hits.. mario, mario kart... same old nes, and snes games that's been driving nintendo all these years... so here it is... PSP is more Innovated than the DS... by a long shot![/QUOTE]

Do I give a shit about a web browser in a handheld gaming device? MP3 capabilities? UMD support? fuck. No. I feel like a big enough douchebag walking around with my iPod, you certainly won't catch me with a PDA (or whatever the hell they're called now). Tacking on a bunch of useless, poorly-implemented features is hardly innovation.

The one thing I agree with is that the DS hardware is not really innovative. From what I hear the games are though.

[quote name='defiance_17']Do I give a shit about a web browser in a handheld gaming device? MP3 capabilities? UMD support? fuck. No. I feel like a big enough douchebag walking around with my iPod, you certainly won't catch me with a PDA (or whatever the hell they're called now). Tacking on a bunch of useless, poorly-implemented features is hardly innovation.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'd hop on the "I don't use them so they must be crap features" bandwagon with you. If Sony had developed something software side with the simplicity of iTunes to help distribute movies and PS1 games, or to help you convert and copy videos to your memory card, then those parts of the machine would be exceptionally innovative. It's like saying because mp3 existed before iPods that the latter isn't innovative.

Of course, their problem was that they assume too much about the techincal savvy of the average person (the competing argument would be that they simply made shitty software on the system side). I know how to convert a video to work on my PSP and copy it, but it's still through finding and using third-party software, as well as finding video files to change (which assumes a user knows how to rip DVDs or use torrents if they want to get their own files), and finally finding the right fucking folder to put it in. In the end, video on the PSP is either (1) too expensive (UMD) or (2) too much effort (ripping, converting, and copying). If Sony could produce software to do all this hassle-free, and let us manage files b/w a PC and PSP, that would be a big boon to their business, IMO.

I'd also like to see the UMD movies in a different section than next to PSP games. I hate looking through that shit, b/c I won't buy them. That's a little thing, though.

[quote name='furyk']Says the PSP supporter. What games are ports on the DS anyways? Actually, I'm not curious at all. I just love watching you post right now.[/QUOTE]

ds had a super mario 64 port...

I bought the DS cause I wanted to play new super mario brothers, and I have to admit the game was tight, but why... was that game, w/ only 8 levels, and about 3 cheesy touch screen games.. 39.99, when the game wasn't even as big, as Super Mario Brothers 3. Nintendo has much time, for innovation, when they're only giving you about 1/3rd the game... now enjoy that...

[quote name='Thomas96']ds had a super mario 64 port...

I bought the DS cause I wanted to play new super mario brothers, and I have to admit the game was tight, but why... was that game, w/ only 8 levels, and about 3 cheesy touch screen games.. 39.99, when the game wasn't even as big, as Super Mario Brothers 3. Nintendo has much time, for innovation, when they're only giving you about 1/3rd the game... now enjoy that...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that New Super Mario Brothers had...

*spoilers*

more then eight levels. If you meant 8 "worlds" that'd be different. Funny thing. Super Mario Brothers 3 also had eight worlds. By the way, who the fuck paid $39.99 for that game? $24 first week in release.

Also, you've listed one game. You said games.

I think the ds will always own the psp but I think the psp will have a longer lifespan. I expect Nintendo to get another handheld out on the market by 2010.

[quote name='furyk']Says the PSP supporter. What games are ports on the DS anyways? Actually, I'm not curious at all. I just love watching you post right now.[/quote]

I got into this with a couple people last year. The DS doesn't have exact ports but many of their games are just "sequels" with touch screen capabilities. Some, like NSMB, add a new mushroom and change up the levels a bit and call it a "sequel". Mario Kart DS plays just like all the other Karts and even has old levels. Every one loves it because it's fun but no one badmouths it for being unoriginal. I'm not saying these aren't great games but people need to come off of their pedestal when talking about the DS not having ports. Feel free to flame away.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not sure I'd hop on the "I don't use them so they must be crap features" bandwagon with you. If Sony had developed something software side with the simplicity of iTunes to help distribute movies and PS1 games, or to help you convert and copy videos to your memory card, then those parts of the machine would be exceptionally innovative. It's like saying because mp3 existed before iPods that the latter isn't innovative.

Of course, their problem was that they assume too much about the techincal savvy of the average person (the competing argument would be that they simply made shitty software on the system side). I know how to convert a video to work on my PSP and copy it, but it's still through finding and using third-party software, as well as finding video files to change (which assumes a user knows how to rip DVDs or use torrents if they want to get their own files), and finally finding the right fucking folder to put it in. In the end, video on the PSP is either (1) too expensive (UMD) or (2) too much effort (ripping, converting, and copying). If Sony could produce software to do all this hassle-free, and let us manage files b/w a PC and PSP, that would be a big boon to their business, IMO.

I'd also like to see the UMD movies in a different section than next to PSP games. I hate looking through that shit, b/c I won't buy them. That's a little thing, though.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't trying to say the features are crap, necessarily, and I apologize if that's how it came across. Would I appreciate a simple way to listen to music and watch movies on a handheld gaming device? Probably. I don't see said features influencing my purchasing decision, however, because I'm looking to play games. Anything else would simply be a bonus.
I think Sony has put way too much stock in these "extras," and they're just not good enough to be justified at this point. Maybe the PSP2 will get it down, but even then, without a stronger game library, it's not really going to matter.

[quote name='furyk']Says the PSP supporter. What games are ports on the DS anyways? Actually, I'm not curious at all. I just love watching you post right now.[/QUOTE]Ridge Racer DS is a port of the N64 Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer on PSP crushes Ridge Racer DS in everyway, and it isn't a port.
[quote name='depascal22']I got into this with a couple people last year. The DS doesn't have exact ports but many of their games are just "sequels" with touch screen capabilities. Some, like NSMB, add a new mushroom and change up the levels a bit and call it a "sequel". Mario Kart DS plays just like all the other Karts and even has old levels. Every one loves it because it's fun but no one badmouths it for being unoriginal. I'm not saying these aren't great games but people need to come off of their pedestal when talking about the DS not having ports. Feel free to flame away.[/QUOTE]
QFT. Most all DS games are just sequels to GBA, with a dual screen and sometimes touch controls (normally, the touch controls are useless, like for New Super Mario Bros.).
[quote name='furyk']I'm pretty sure that New Super Mario Brothers had...

*spoilers*

more then eight levels. If you meant 8 "worlds" that'd be different. Funny thing. Super Mario Brothers 3 also had eight worlds. By the way, who the fuck paid $39.99 for that game? $24 first week in release.

Also, you've listed one game. You said games.[/QUOTE]
NSMB is a disgrace to Mario. It was the only DS game I really, really wanted in the 1st half of the year, and bought it on release (for $26). All I gotta say is that it was the worst purchase ever. Daxter is a superior platformer in every single way. Seriously, I was very hyped for the game because I absolutely loved 2D Mario games in the past, and was hoping it would be just as good. Glad I traded NSMB in and got $22 for it (used the money to buy DDR SuperNOVA on PS2). I just hope Yoshi's Island 2 doesn't disappoint, since I got it for Christmas.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ridge Racer DS is a port of the N64 Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer on PSP crushes Ridge Racer DS in everyway, and it isn't a port.[/quote]

RIIIIIIIIDDDDDGGGGEEE RACER!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']QFT. Most all DS games are just sequels to GBA, with a dual screen and sometimes touch controls (normally, the touch controls are useless, like for New Super Mario Bros.).[/quote]

And most PSP games are ports of PS2 games (or collections) that add in a few new features and double-triple the load times.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] All I gotta say is that (New Super Mario Brothers) was the worst purchase ever.[/QUOTE]

Well... you did buy a PSP.

I present to you:

Lumines series
LocoRoco
Metal Gear AC!D series
Guilty Gear Judgement
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Every Extend Extra
Darkstalkers
Mercury
Exit
Killzone (changed from 1st person to 3rd person)

Last time I checked these aren't ports. You'll have a list the same size for DS so please get off your fanboy perch and put down the Mountain Dew before you hurt yourself. You can't use an unbalanced argument against the PSP and claim you're right. If you want to go after the loading time, battery life, lack of dual analog sticks, scratchablity of the screen, or overall cost, then be my guest. But you're bashing the library and claiming that PSP games are unoriginal ports of PS2 games. That's partially right but look at the DS library and the ten Pokemon games, the six Mario spin offs, two Metroids, etc. and you could come to the same conclusion for DS. So we're just saying come up with another argument before you lose credibility. Please, for once, come up with something other "PSP sux cuz itz got nutin but portz" crap. I'm just tired of the old argument.

Nah, I'm actually enjoying trolling Thomas96 and Mana Knight simply because they want to devolve this conversation into fanboy trolling. They really shouldn't give a shit what I have to say. I just find it annoying that when I say Sony has treated Europe like they're not important I get accused of being a fanboy. If that's how they want to talk, then fuck. I'll play the DS fanboy shitting on their parade even though I'm playing the slots on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded while posting. It's a fucking message board. Who gives a shit whether or not someone does or doesn't like the PSP. You guys do! There's a lot of problems with it, but hell, there's a lot of problems with every game system. All that matters is that you have fun with it. If you really need to defend the realm to justify your purchase then please, kill yourself. You're not living a life worth living.

Also both Darkstalkers and Guilty Gear Judgement are both upgraded ports (GG is a port of XX and the Darkstalkers collection was on the Dreamcast) so you might want to trim that list just a little bit. :)

[quote name='furyk']Nah, I'm actually enjoying trolling Thomas96 and Mana Knight simply because they want to devolve this conversation into fanboy trolling. They really shouldn't give a shit what I have to say. I just find it annoying that when I say Sony has treated Europe like they're not important I get accused of being a fanboy. If that's how they want to talk, then fuck. I'll play the DS fanboy shitting on their parade even though I'm playing the slots on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded while posting. It's a fucking message board. Who gives a shit whether or not someone does or doesn't like the PSP. You guys do! There's a lot of problems with it, but hell, there's a lot of problems with every game system. All that matters is that you have fun with it. If you really need to defend the realm to justify your purchase then please, kill yourself. You're not living a life worth living.

Also both Darkstalkers and Guilty Gear Judgement are both upgraded ports (GG is a port of XX and the Darkstalkers collection was on the Dreamcast) so you might want to trim that list just a little bit. :)[/quote]

XX didn't have the Judgement minigame. So I'll leave it on there. I'll take off Darkstalkers though.

I'm bored at work and when I get bored I get delusions of grandeur. I think that everyone's reading this thread and everyone cares about what I'm thinking at the moment. It's the only thing that gets me through a 12 hour shift that only gets busy when someone gets hurt. Anyone need their ankle or hip fixed? I need something to do.

I care what you're thinking depascal. Christ, that's the worst though. I used to work night shifts at a desk for my dorm. So much boredom. Thankfully though, message boards and IRC chats with lots of Aussies makes the night go a bit faster.

And yeah, flamebaiting people on message boards is an assholey thing to do... still, I had a bad day and gamers' nerd rage makes me laugh. The PSP is much more then PS2 ports and collections. It also makes a nice paperweight.

Also the DS is great for puppet shows. Take that PSP.

Well the Ds lite has run away with sales here in the US. IT's outselling the PSp 2-1 minimum. I would think that is going to attract lots of Western interest for the DS whereas before there wasn't as much because sales were more even and most thought the PSP would easily win the battle. If you figure 1 year to make a game then starting next summer you should see more 3rd party DS games.

Also if you look now you can't find a DS lite anywhere. Walmart? CC? BB? Target? Kmart? Sold out. You can find PSPs pretty easily.

That being said the PSP isn't doing horribly here in the US. It sold 500,00 units in November which ain't bad even though the DS Lite sold a million.

It's all over in Japan because the next DS is on the DS and in Europe I think it's all over for the PSP also. IN the US? There's still hope that it will sell enough to keep developers making games for it.

[quote name='Thomas96']Every system has to earn it's way..... the DS hasnt had to fight to be number one... it always has been basically since 1986.. so rather than assume what impact that psp will have, I say release a redesign, and just see what happens... and start it off at a price drop...[/quote]
Again, you're a disillusioned fanboy. Game Boy line of systems has had to fought every way except for maybe the GBA and no matter who came upto the plate, they always batted a thousand. Game Gear gone; Wonderswan no more; Lynx, etc. etc. etc. etc. Obscure etc. etc.

And I don't think a redesign would necessarily jump start sales like the DS Lite. Perhaps a massive price reduction, but nothing short of that. Oh and maybe some actual games and less ports.

[quote name='Thomas96']well someone has to think of something... you'd have us playing mario, mario kart, and pokemon for the next 80 years...[/quote]

Excellent argument. I much prefer every other sequel and port (excluding Valkyrie Profile since that game is hell hard and rare to find on the PS1 and this one is basically a redone version) existing on the PSP which is the competition. And don't make me go into listing all of them just for you.

At least with the Marios Nintendo attempts to add something to it to make it seem fresh or different (and New Super Mario Bros was great). Pokemon are just simple addictive games.

[quote name='furyk']Nah, I'm actually enjoying trolling Thomas96 and Mana Knight simply because they want to devolve this conversation into fanboy trolling.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='furyk']Well... you did buy a PSP.[/QUOTE]

et tu, furyk?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

Not everyone uses their PSP for emulation. There's NOT one emulator running on my PSP (their ass anyway) and I use my PSP mostly for PSP games.
For every DS game I buy, I buy 3-4 PSP games (I have 14 DS games compared to 42 PSP games. I think PSP has better games; therefore, I own more for it).[/quote]

Looking past your Europe Sony comments:roll: and onto this part, then I'd probably say I have about 40-50+ DS games to around10-20 (range) PSP games.

[quote name='mykevermin']et tu, furyk?[/QUOTE]

Of course. I said I was trolling. I just started trolling when they turned it (again) into "if you argue with me, you're a fanboy". Consequently, the best way to troll a PSP board is to mention ports, price, load times, and battery life. Besides, saying that New Super Mario Brothers is the worst game you've ever purchased is like saying it's better winning a 7 million jackpot then a 5 million dollar one. It's still a fantastic game that stacks up better then anything besides Super Mario World (play SMB 3 and NSMB back to back some time and see which one you enjoy more).

Like I've said twenty other times in this thread, I own a PSP and I don't regret buying it. I think the best platformer of the year was on the PSP (Mega Man Powered Up) as well as a bunch of other good to great games.

[quote name='furyk']Of course. I said I was trolling. I just started trolling when they turned it (again) into "if you argue with me, you're a fanboy". Consequently, the best way to troll a PSP board is to mention ports, price, load times, and battery life.

Like I've said twenty other times in this thread, I own a PSP and I don't regret buying it. I think the best platformer of the year was on the PSP (Mega Man Powered Up) as well as a bunch of other good to great games.[/QUOTE]

I suppose, but to (1) troll and (2) pull the "they started it" attitude is just puerile. I'm no saint, but I do my best to let those people be who they want. I'm disappointed that people live in this world serving as brand ambassadors for a product they aren't being paid to promote, and that this also involves disparaging the competition as inherently and objectively unworthy.

I dunno if I agree about MM: Powered Up. That Iceman level was ported accurately enough that I was often tempted to hurl my goddamned PSP across the room and into the wall. NES controllers are much more durable and cheaper than PSP consoles, so that reflex had to go quickly.

I enjoy both my DS and PSP; neither is any better or worse, however, based on the other system. Of course, more sales and games leads to more game development, but when I think of the PSP, I don't think "boy, I want Gradius Collection because DS sucks my balls!" I think "Gradius Collection for $20? fuckin' A!"

In the end, I just can't deal with this bullshit application of sports support into the real life. I'm a Reds fan, so I fuckin' hate the Cardinals, and I'm a Bengals fan, so I fuckin' hate the Steelers. But I recognize that is foolish in that case alone, and don't let that go into "I'm a PSP fan, so I fuckin' hate the DS; I'm a 360 fan, so I hate the fuckin' PS3; I'm a liberal, so I fuckin' hate all Republicans" kinda garbage. Let the pettiness rest in pro sports, the perfect domain for the petty. Instead, buy a game system on the traits you like, the games you like.

Play the fuck out of it, and don't look back. End of story.

[quote name='depascal22']That's a nice list he had on his link but it doesn't help the PSP one bit. If my daughter brought home a report card full of B's and C's( which is what the rankings on that list come out to), there would be hell to pay. There were only two games that came out at exactly 90%, Lumines and the sequel. Oh, and any list that gives an "honorable mention" deserves to be buried at the bottom of the sea. I love my PSP but we're nearly at the end of the second full year and we're still not seeing a "killer app".[/quote]

I know this is a pretty old post to respond to, but I don't think the scores alone mean too much, especially considering that the PSP lineup has a terrific lead over the DS in a comparison of quality software where quantity is not considered, yet sells less.

http://xevon.awardspace.com/pspstuff/PSPvsDS.html

If that were a realistic and valid expression, PSP would be the only choice, as the alternative would be your daughter bringing home a report card full of Cs, Ds and Fs...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Again, you're a disillusioned fanboy. Game Boy line of systems has had to fought every way except for maybe the GBA and no matter who came upto the plate, they always batted a thousand. Game Gear gone; Wonderswan no more; Lynx, etc. etc. etc. etc. Obscure etc. etc.

And I don't think a redesign would necessarily jump start sales like the DS Lite. Perhaps a massive price reduction, but nothing short of that. Oh and maybe some actual games and less ports.[/QUOTE]

the gb didnt have to fight game gear... it took 8 batteries, and lasted only an hour... what chance did it actually have to succeed? The psp is the only other handheld system that's giving he gameboy line some sort of competition. The gameboy was already too established, by the time the gamegear came out...gb was cheaper, had more games, and w/ 4 batteries, you could almost leave the thing on for a week.

that's right... more actual games and less ports for the psp... why? because the psp is held to a high standard than any gb, or ds, ever has... for psp games to sale, they need to push the hardware, and that's why now.. we're seeing ps2 graphics on the system... examples. tomb raider anniversary, metal gear portable ops, final fantasy crisis core, gta vcs, virtual tennis, ridge racer, tekken dark ressurection... you get the point...

[quote name='mykevermin']I suppose, but to (1) troll and (2) pull the "they started it" attitude is just puerile. I'm no saint, but I do my best to let those people be who they want. I'm disappointed that people live in this world serving as brand ambassadors for a product they aren't being paid to promote, and that this also involves disparaging the competition as inherently and objectively unworthy.[/quote]

Nah, you got it backwards. They started it and then consequently, I started to troll because I'm an asshole and was annoyed. It's like having a conversation with daddy. You can only argue with his shitty logic before you just get annoyed.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dunno if I agree about MM: Powered Up. That Iceman level was ported accurately enough that I was often tempted to hurl my goddamned PSP across the room and into the wall. NES controllers are much more durable and cheaper than PSP consoles, so that reflex had to go quickly. [/quote]

I've gotta be the only person in the world who isn't frusterated by the Ice Man level. Guts Man and Elec Man piss me off much more.

[quote name='mykevermin']I enjoy both my DS and PSP; neither is any better or worse, however, based on the other system. Of course, more sales and games leads to more game development, but when I think of the PSP, I don't think "boy, I want Gradius Collection because DS sucks my balls!" I think "Gradius Collection for $20? fuckin' A!"[/quote]

Exactly, though I do find myself buying PSP games only if they're 30 bucks or less these days. I think the A over B situation comes only when you've got two big releases in a week. I think the closest we've come to that is when Castlevania/Kirby launched the same week as MG: PO, but those games are just so different that comparing the two is silly. I don't feel like the two systems are actively competing even with a release schedule these days.

[quote name='mykevermin']In the end, I just can't deal with this bullshit application of sports support into the real life. I'm a Reds fan, so I fuckin' hate the Cardinals, and I'm a Bengals fan, so I fuckin' hate the Steelers. But I recognize that is foolish in that case alone, and don't let that go into "I'm a PSP fan, so I fuckin' hate the DS; I'm a 360 fan, so I hate the fuckin' PS3; I'm a liberal, so I fuckin' hate all Republicans" kinda garbage. Let the pettiness rest in pro sports, the perfect domain for the petty. Instead, buy a game system on the traits you like, the games you like.

Play the fuck out of it, and don't look back. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The problem is that people feel like they need to validate their purchase by picking up a drum and beating it. I only post in the Playstation and Nintendo forums because *shock* I buy Nintendo and Sony products. I don't have nor until recently did I plan on buying a 360 (Virtua Fighter might change that though) so I don't post there. I don't play PC games at all so I don't post in the PC forums. It's not that hard a concept to get. The problem ends up being is either fanboys from camp A invade camp B or fanboys in camp B delude themselves into thinking their product is beyond criticism. In both cases, the shit hits the fan.

[quote name='Thomas96']that's right... more actual games and less ports for the psp... why? because the psp is held to a high standard than any gb, or ds, ever has... for psp games to sale, they need to push the hardware, and that's why now.. we're seeing ps2 graphics on the system... examples. tomb raider anniversary, metal gear portable ops, final fantasy crisis core, gta vcs, virtual tennis, ridge racer, tekken dark ressurection... you get the point...[/QUOTE]

Why is it held to a higher standard though? It's not because it's a handheld, it's because it costs the same as a PS2 game. The DS/GBA/GBC/GB games have always been in the $20-30 range. I found when the initial third party DS games costed $40 that if they weren't great games, they were bullshit and sucked. Tons of people trashed on the initial DS line up because the damn things costed too much. Even FF3 at $40 is retarded. I (and many others) refuse to pay $40 and upwards for a handheld game unless it's absolutely fantastic. That's why lots of people haven't played the original PSP titles, Untold Legends, Legend of Heroes, and so forth.

[quote name='furyk']Why is it held to a higher standard though? It's not because it's a handheld, it's because it costs the same as a PS2 game. The DS/GBA/GBC/GB games have always been in the $20-30 range. I found when the initial third party DS games costed $40 that if they weren't great games, they were bullshit and sucked. Tons of people trashed on the initial DS line up because the damn things costed too much. Even FF3 at $40 is retarded. I (and many others) refuse to pay $40 and upwards for a handheld game unless it's absolutely fantastic. That's why lots of people haven't played the original PSP titles, Untold Legends, Legend of Heroes, and so forth.[/QUOTE]

well... the psp was a 249.99 system... all of sony products are more expensive and they're held to a higher standart... As it should be!!! I paid 249.99 for the psp... so I definetly want sony to put out every game and product they can for the psp.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No it's not, that's false.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4343&Itemid=2

The DS in November was less than 2:1, and the installed base is 8.3million compared to 6.5million for the PSP.

They've both sold really, really well, and they're both fantastic systems.[/QUOTE]

Those are some other f'd up numbers. From your article "The analyst bases its numbers on retail surveys, although these are less definitive than NPD’s numbers, due out later this week."

Go look at NPDs. ~1 million to ~500,00. 2:1 or close enough.

I think you're preaching to the choir . Your numbers say 600,000 to 350,000. Even if we go with those numbers which aren't as industry standard as the NPD's, the DS lite is still greatly outselling at the moment and yet the PSP is still moving units. That was my point and what I posted.

This is going to go on forever. It'll never really change because the video game industry is one of the few industries where the purchasers aren't necessarily the users. You see alot of parents out there buying games for their kids and that influences the numbers more than anything. If you have a teenager, buy him/her a PSP. Then buy them the same games that they play on the PS2. Got a pre-teen? Buy him/her a DS in the appropriate color for their gender. Then buy the licensed games for the TV shows that they watch.

You could look at numbers all day but most hardcore gamers have both anyway. I think most of the people that have posted so far have both systems. I'll say it again. Enjoy both systems and play the hell out of them. The competition between the two will bring out better games as the years go on. Then, maybe we'll get the revisions we so desperately want.

I don't have either system, but I'm leaning towards the PSP. One widescreen is just so much better than two regular screens. But I don't know how good an FPS on the PSP would be without two analog sticks.

[quote name='rickonker']I don't have either system, but I'm leaning towards the PSP. One widescreen is just so much better than two regular screens. But I don't know how good an FPS on the PSP would be without two analog sticks.[/QUOTE]
Some of them are good some are terrible, make sure you read reviews before you buy one.

[quote name='whoknows']Some of them are good some are terrible, make sure you read reviews before you buy one.[/QUOTE]
I tried reading some reviews but they're not really clear on how it works compared to the two analog stick method. One thing I remember is that one game used the face buttons for moving and the analog stick for aiming. This sounds ok except it's in reverse.

[quote name='rickonker']I tried reading some reviews but they're not really clear on how it works compared to the two analog stick method. One thing I remember is that one game used the face buttons for moving and the analog stick for aiming. This sounds ok except it's in reverse.[/QUOTE]
I hear Medal of Honor plays pretty well. I don't own it myself, maybe someone that does can explain the controls?

People say Coded Arms plays poorly, but I also hear that the controls are fully customizable, so I don't know whats going on there.

[quote name='rickonker']I don't have either system, but I'm leaning towards the PSP. One widescreen is just so much better than two regular screens. But I don't know how good an FPS on the PSP would be without two analog sticks.[/QUOTE]

the only FPS I've played is Coded Arms, the control scheme (default) worked well.. honestly, psp's control scheme for FPSs are basically kinda like the control scheme from the N64.

I just read most of this thread (can't sleep) and boy does my brain ache.

Anyway, as the very recent adopter of a PSP, I can't really say much for the system and it's functions really being worth the price, but I can say that the price of admission is definitely holding it back. I always admired the PSP's capabilities, games, and whatnot, but the price was always too ridiculous (especially when compared to it's competition) for me to jump on-board.

Now I'm fairly young (20) and have a pretty good amount of money in the bank for my age (17K), but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $200 for the system itself (luckily my gf did ;)), $50-$70 for a decent memory stick (to utilize extra functions), and about $100 for a decent game library. This has been said about a trillion times in this thread, but Sony, please for the love of all that is holy, drop the goddamn price already!

Simply put, superior system/brand/games or not, price is what matters here. People aren't looking at handhelds as an equal to consoles (which the PSP's price indicates and fucks them more by putting them in the ballpark with Apple media players), so if someone sees a $70 price difference, you betta believe they're gonna chose the cheaper alternative a resounding majority of the time, regardless.

Drop the PSP's price to $150, Sony first-party memory stick's down by at least $10 a piece, all software by at least $5, and I think they can gain some ground. Also, some computer software to better utilize the media functions would be nice :D

Not as good, but depending on the game they play fine.

Syphon Filter isn't really a first person shooter-basically a tactical shooter like Splinter Cell or whatever, but it plays and looks great (I enjoyed it more than Chaos Theory). It's skewed more towards the action side than Splinter Cell-like you can use stealth, but if you screw up you can just switch to guns blazing and be okay too.

That Sean Connery Bond game played fine, except it wasn't a very good game (just made for a decent rental IMO). Just kind of generic.

Coded Arms was the first FPS on the system, and from the review it says the control is okay if you change it to aim with the stick, but the game itself stinks.

More recent games like Metal of Honor, etc. are supposed to be good or okay.

Of course, in the case of FPS, it's not like there's much alternative for portables. Ones I've played on the DS work best if they're designed that you don't need razer precision so you can just use the digital controls and ignore the touch screen (Goldeneye: Rogue Agent-also not worth more than the $5 I payed for it). Metroid Prime Hunters sucks as it's not a Metroid game (it really is just an FPS), it demands more precision than the digital controls provide, and the analog control is horribly clunky. (Plus obviously the PSP is in a whole different generation in terms of hardware so it's better suited for FPS.)

EDIT: Another thought- The "N64" control scheme works on the PSP, but it's not as good as the N64 c-buttons were actually designed almost exactly like a normal game pad rather than regular buttons. They kind of stunk as normal buttons, and the PSP's normal buttons aren't so hot functioning as a game pad (would have worked better for FPS if the analog stick was on the right so you could use it with the d-pad at the same time).

Thanks guys. I'm so used to the two analog sticks now that I'm not sure how going back to the N64 style would feel. I guess I just have to try it out for an hour or so before I can decide.

Controlling shooters haven't been problematic for me at all.

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror has a great control scheme, and shows how PSP controls can adequately and accurately handle movment, quick inventory management, and camera control.

Coded Arms has custom controls, so model it as closely to Syphon Filter: DM as possible.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 has the "retro" control scheme.

MoH:H, I actually haven't played, but just going by GameSpot, it's very manageable.

hope hope as much as you like. The PSP tried and failed but its ok. It certainly lasted alot longer than the other victims *Ahem* competition. Maybe itll even get another two years of moderate support

[quote name='MarkMark']hope hope as much as you like. The PSP tried and failed but its ok. It certainly lasted alot longer than the other victims *Ahem* competition. Maybe itll even get another two years of moderate support[/quote]

I still don't understand how you can call a system that's been out less than two years a failure. The PSP still moves units and AAA titles are coming out every month.

By calling the PSP a failure now, it just shows that you have little or no objectivity. It's like saying the PS3 will lose the next-gen war just because it was outsold by the Wii and the 360 over the last two months.

[quote name='depascal22']I still don't understand how you can call a system that's been out less than two years a failure.[/quote]

The very same question I was asking myself when they announced they were pulling the plug on the Dreamcast...

[quote name='depascal22']By calling the PSP a failure now, it just shows that you have little or no objectivity. It's like saying the PS3 will lose the next-gen war just because it was outsold by the Wii and the 360 over the last two months.[/QUOTE]

Well not exactly. Sony, as top dog, is held to a higher standard. They enter a new market against Nintendo, say the same arrogant things Sony has been saying (since let's face it, when you're top dog you can boast a bit). Gamers got pissed and are overly gloating at the first time they've failed to be first which is with the PSP. The PSP is far from a failure but because it isn't as revolutionary or widely adopted as its competition, people like rubbing it in Sony's face. It's just that simple.

[quote name='MarkMark']hope hope as much as you like. The PSP tried and failed but its ok. It certainly lasted alot longer than the other victims *Ahem* competition. Maybe itll even get another two years of moderate support[/QUOTE]
Just because PSP is being outsold by the DS does not mean it failed by any means. Sony is still making money off of it, and games continue to come out for it.

[quote name='furyk']Well not exactly. Sony, as top dog, is held to a higher standard. They enter a new market against Nintendo, say the same arrogant things Sony has been saying (since let's face it, when you're top dog you can boast a bit). Gamers got pissed and are overly gloating at the first time they've failed to be first which is with the PSP. The PSP is far from a failure but because it isn't as revolutionary or widely adopted as its competition, people like rubbing it in Sony's face. It's just that simple.[/quote]

That's the thing. Sony hasn't pissed me off. Any company that's in the number one slot sounds very arrogant. It's the nature of business. When Coca-Cola released that shitty coffee soda, they sounded like everyone on the planet was going to be drinking their soda instead of Pepsi AND Starbucks. If that isn't arrogant, I don't know what is. I don't see everyone on the boards saying that Coke is an arrogant bastard of a company and we should stop drinking Coke because they're an "arrogant" company. Everyone's getting wrapped up in a company's perception and image instead of taking a system for what it is. Find some games that you might like and play them. Stop acting like your choice represents more than that.

[quote name='depascal22']That's the thing. Sony hasn't pissed me off. Any company that's in the number one slot sounds very arrogant. It's the nature of business. When Coca-Cola released that shitty coffee soda, they sounded like everyone on the planet was going to be drinking their soda instead of Pepsi AND Starbucks. If that isn't arrogant, I don't know what is. I don't see everyone on the boards saying that Coke is an arrogant bastard of a company and we should stop drinking Coke because they're an "arrogant" company. Everyone's getting wrapped up in a company's perception and image instead of taking a system for what it is. Find some games that you might like and play them. Stop acting like your choice represents more than that.[/QUOTE]

good point... cause not too long ago... Nintendo was definitely arrogant; they used to penalize developers who would develop games on other systems. It's not that they were actually arrogant, it's just them doing what they need to do to be number one.

[quote name='MarkMark']hope hope as much as you like. The PSP tried and failed but its ok. It certainly lasted alot longer than the other victims *Ahem* competition. Maybe itll even get another two years of moderate support[/QUOTE]

I got a feeling that the DS might start to decline... since the psp is putting out ps2 quality graphics on the psp in it's set of 2007 games that are coming out... I'm wondering if people are still going to want to revert to snes graphics? (we'll I'm sure they will) you're saying that the psp is dead (which is getting old), however there's an increase not only in the quantity of games, but in the quality of psp games as well. Money talks bullshit walks... so right now money is saying psp in good standing...

You know how you always have a friend or relative that has a dog, and the dog always, no matter how many times you do it, will fall for the "act like you're throwing the stick when you really aren't" trick?

Thomas96 is that dog, except that he's also missing a hind leg.

No, it will never even come close. It has the same chance of passing the DS as the GameCube does passing the PS2.

I just made the last 13 pages obsolete.

[quote name='Thomas96']I got a feeling that the DS might start to decline... since the psp is putting out ps2 quality graphics on the psp in it's set of 2007 games that are coming out...[/quote]

LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back