It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Josh5890']Weren't we still wearing winter coats this time last year?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard one of these unseasonably warm days had the highest temps since the scorcher of '95. Had to change what blanket I use at night!

Update on the c2e2 passes. They are the actual weekend pass with the Jim Lee Superman on them. I got them today! $24 for the whole weekend. (And no, i do not get a kickback or anything).

Apparently, my local 24-hour Walgreens refuses to acknowledge the existence of Jewish adolescents. I can buy a greeting card for Pastor Appreciation, Troubled Relationships, Recovering from Illness - Cancer, but not one for my niece's Bat Mitzvah. Yes, I am a Mexican- (and Korean-) American with a Jewish (half-) sister.

Also, y'all better stay away from my Half Price Books this Sunday (j/k). Someone's gotta tell the buyer at the Highland Park location to stop accepting Steam-activated PC games.

I have some questions for you guys:

Do any of you guys have comcast internet that has a wired AND wireless connection?

What router do you use?

Was it provided by comcast?

I have a phone modem and a netgear 614 that they provide, but it severly lags when gaming and on wireless in general. (Speedtest says 30bps on my desktop and I get anywhere from 2-15 bps on my laptop and ps3.)

When I had comcast before I moved, my modem had no wireless access. I just used a linksys router and was good to go. I miss it, because the internet was pretty good, but now I have Directv, and I'm not paying their insane price for internet only(w/o cable it's very expensive). Anyway, from experience and word of mouth, as a general rule of thumb, most wireless solutions provided from the ISPs themselves all usually suck. Then again, I didn't know comcast provided a phone modem either, I thought it was all cable. Hell, my mom has the triple play package, and the phone itself actually gets fed right from the cable line(a phone port on the modem) instead of a wall phone jack.

Do any of you guys have comcast internet that has a wired AND wireless connection? No, in fact I bought my own cable modem with docsis 3.0.

What router do you use? Netgear WNDR3700 (it was been rock solid)

Was it provided by comcast? Nope, laid down the cash and has been totally worth it.

[quote name='slowdive21']I have some questions for you guys:

Do any of you guys have comcast internet that has a wired AND wireless connection?

What router do you use?

Was it provided by comcast?

I have a phone modem and a netgear 614 that they provide, but it severly lags when gaming and on wireless in general. (Speedtest says 30bps on my desktop and I get anywhere from 2-15 bps on my laptop and ps3.)[/QUOTE]

It might be your router or the laptop.

From the netgear model, it looks like the best it can do is 802.11g.

Does your laptop use 802.11 a/b/g/n?

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']do you guys know if disc replays carry any good retro video game stuff?[/QUOTE]

The Orland Park location has a mild selection of pre PS2/GCN/Xbox games. The cool part is that they have a buy 2 get 1 game free if it is $3.99 and under.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']do you guys know if disc replays carry any good retro video game stuff?[/QUOTE]

You pretty much just need to go and see. It's all about who sold them what, so it's all down to luck on what is in stock. I've seen stuff all the way back to old Atari's from time to time in those stores. I'm sort of a poor judge on what that kinda stuff is worth, because I'm pretty sentimental with my old games. Therefore, whether the prices are any good is subjective. I will say this, though, you stand a much better chance of seeing systems themselves then you do a good selection of games. I usually always see at least some nes/snes/psx/n64's there. Check out Half-Price Books as well. Seen some neat old stuff in those stores too.

[quote name='52club']Do any of you guys have comcast internet that has a wired AND wireless connection? No, in fact I bought my own cable modem with docsis 3.0.

What router do you use? Netgear WNDR3700 (it was been rock solid)

Was it provided by comcast? Nope, laid down the cash and has been totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning this! I'm looking hard at ordering it because my wife is tired of not having wifi at home for her iPhone, and my daughter wants access on her PC, and I was jealously keeping the connection wired for gaming.

[quote name='UndyingForce']Just heard best buy is closing some stores. Anyone spot any good gaming deals? I hear 20% off is where the clearance stands now.[/QUOTE]

I just went to West Dundee since I visited my parents. All games are 20% off. Hardware is not discounted. The store was about half empty already. I don't think there is much left at this point.

They already closed the 87th & Dan Ryan Best Buy about a week or two ago which was the closest one to me so never got a chance for any deals. :cry: Sad thing is this was where I got my Nintendo Wii when it was was very tough to get a hand on one. Ironically it was also where the closest Toysrus for me was before it closed & Best Buy took it over, so that location really does not have the best track record.

Funny thing is I lucked out got the last Killzone 3 Helghast Edition from the downtown Best Buy that is NOT going out of business for $24.50. The box was a little beat & book had a dent in it but the figure, helmet & game was in excellent condition. I was surprised to see that the included Helghast Edition Voucher was still good even though it said it expired 9/1/11. Awesome deal, lucky timing. :D

[quote name='slowdive21']Wal-Mart, Meijer, Jewel, and Woodmans are supposed to have it. I got a response back from the company today.[/QUOTE]

Okay then. Tomorrow, Target and Meijer run in Orland.

I had to run out anyway, so I stopped in Meijer. They seem to only have the 64 oz 2.49 bottles. I believe Jewel and Woodmans are supposed to have a larger selection.

Vince Neil at the Cubby Bear, worthy? I don't care at all for his solo stuff. Any Chi-Town CAG going?

edit: Tickets $20.00 plus $7 for fees.

Quick story...this past Saturday night I went to the Galloping Ghost Arcade on Ogden in Brookfield, a sweet old school arcade run by people who care about keeping that scene alive, and was eating at an awesome thai place right down the street beforehand.

Reason this is funny is the place is ULTRA small (like 5 tables small) and people kept coming up to my wife and I and asking if we were there for the " dot com meetup for the arcade"...immediately I was like "is there a Chicago CAG meetup tonight?"

I guess it was because I was wearing a Nintendo "Who Are You?" hoodie that I got from my Game Crazy days...

In case anyone in the area was interested in this game.
Catherine for Xbox 360 is $27.99 at the Best Buy in Oswego, not sure if that's the price at all Best Buy's or just a clearance price.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Anyone here use U-verse as internet service? I am thinking of switching over from att dsl but i hear soem horrible story.[/QUOTE]

I made the switch over a year ago, and the changeover was painful to say the least. Line changes could make switching back to standard DSL or phone lines much more difficult as well (esp. after the first 30 days), and they charged several hundred dollars to upgrade the in-house wiring, too.

I like faster speeds, but that experience highlights to me why telecom companies are so hated these days.

Hey All,
Just got out of Frys in Downers Grove IL and they had about 20-30 Diablo III collector editions just sitting on the shelf.

I grabbed one without a pre order.

just a heads up

this message is good as of 8:10AM (when I left)

[quote name='Xellos2099']Anyone here use U-verse as internet service? I am thinking of switching over from att dsl but i hear soem horrible story.[/QUOTE]

We have U-Verse internet and it is decent so far. 12 MBPS for $24.95 a month. It comes with a free Linksys E1000 router, but there are much better routers so I am planning to upgrade soon.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']We have U-Verse internet and it is decent so far. 12 MBPS for $24.95 a month. It comes with a free Linksys E1000 router, but there are much better routers so I am planning to upgrade soon.[/QUOTE]

Nice price! How did you get that rate -- as a new customer? Wondering how to get off local phone service & stick with just U-Verse internet at the same speed.

My Groupon for today is $20 for an all-day game pass @Gameworks in Schaumburg. I can't remember if a Chicago CAG meetup was held there or not.

Also, Disc Replay is going to carry new games. Yay?

[quote name='Josh5890']Isn't NATO great or what?[/QUOTE]

It didn't seem nearly as bad as everyone expected it to be. I'm just glad it's gone, so I don't have to hear about it any longer.

bread's done
Back