It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Why will you pay $46 for just 6MB?

I am currently paying $51 for 12Mbps after the promotion ended. I guess it depends on the area. I'm in the burbs[/QUOTE]

Because that's the regular crap-ass price. I would pay 5 to 10 bucks more for double the speed though. I wish I got a promo call, or google fiber.

Hey fellow Chicago people... my backward compatible ps3 just gave me the RLOD. Anybody have a recommendations for places that do PS3 repair?

There are several places on craigslist and yelp that say they do it, but I'd love to have a rec from someone with actual personal experience with a place. Earlier in this thread someone suggested Chicago Gadgets, but that was in 2011, so I thought I'd pose the question again.

I live on the North Side, but just about anywhere in the city or near burbs would be ok if you had a real good experience.

Thanks!

[quote name='wwolf76']Hey fellow Chicago people... my backward compatible ps3 just gave me the RLOD. Anybody have a recommendations for places that do PS3 repair?

There are several places on craigslist and yelp that say they do it, but I'd love to have a rec from someone with actual personal experience with a place. Earlier in this thread someone suggested Chicago Gadgets, but that was in 2011, so I thought I'd pose the question again.

I live on the North Side, but just about anywhere in the city or near burbs would be ok if you had a real good experience.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

RLOD or YLOD? I managed to revive a YLOD for a friend by taking apart, cleaning, hitting board with heat gun, and applying Arctic Silver 5 to CPU/gpu. As soon as my consoles are out of warranty I replace dried paste with Arctic Silver 5 and have not had issues with any consoles yet. My backcompat ps3 is still going strong as is my launch 360.

[quote name='ryosnk']We really need another meet up especially since the weather is getting nice. Planning should start soon.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I feel like another drive to the Ghost is due.

The Blockbuster store on 1303 N Milwaukee Ave, is unfortunately closing. So, everything is on sale! I believe used DVDs are 20% off right now. July 21 is the last day the store will be open for business. This really sucks for me, since I drop off my online rentals there. Now, I'm going to have to dump my rentals in the mailbox, which will take about three extra days to get the next rental from my queue, compared to dropping rentals off in-store. I hope another Blockbuster will open close to my house in the near future...

^ Unfortunately odds of a new one opening are slim to none. I'm still shocked when I see a brick & mortar Blockbuster.

[quote name='meta460085']RLOD or YLOD? I managed to revive a YLOD for a friend by taking apart, cleaning, hitting board with heat gun, and applying Arctic Silver 5 to CPU/gpu. As soon as my consoles are out of warranty I replace dried paste with Arctic Silver 5 and have not had issues with any consoles yet. My backcompat ps3 is still going strong as is my launch 360.[/QUOTE]

RLOD (I think.) Just mid-game one night when system shut down and gave me blinking red light. It turned on once or twice since then but both times it shut off soon after with more blinking red light.

Wish I was tech savvy enough to feel confident cracking it open. Still have enough PS2 games that keeping this BC PS3 would be nice.

[quote name='wwolf76']RLOD (I think.) Just mid-game one night when system shut down and gave me blinking red light. It turned on once or twice since then but both times it shut off soon after with more blinking red light.

Wish I was tech savvy enough to feel confident cracking it open. Still have enough PS2 games that keeping this BC PS3 would be nice.[/QUOTE]

We all gotta start somewhere, YouTube and Google are your friends here, roll up your sleeves and get them hands dirty.

Not sure if anyone else has heard yet, but the Ghost is doing another swap meet June 22nd. I'm planning on going, since I have some more stuff I'm getting rid of. CAG meet-up, anyone?

[quote name='TheHeef']Not sure if anyone else has heard yet, but the Ghost is doing another swap meet June 22nd. I'm planning on going, since I have some more stuff I'm getting rid of. CAG meet-up, anyone?[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Galloping Ghost Arcade, I have 2 ALL DAY PASSES set to expire today (June 1st) for anyone interested in going. I have a prior engagement around 5pm this afternoon and won't be able to use them. Just private message me before 4pm if any local CAGs want to pick up this voucher. Cheers!

Like the whole city of roselle is having a town wide garage sale today and tomorrow. My roller derby team is participating as well at a members house. If you're in the area, check it out.

Other than getting sunburned as all heck(though not surprised that happened, since I haven't gotten into the routine of putting on sunscreen due to the slightly below average spring weather we've had), the rally was amazing. Had the mishap of getting to the parade route a tad too late to see that, but it's okay since I was taping it on TV, and I saw all of the rally from the opening history/2013 season montage video on. Noticed the FYE on Randolph that day had a sign saying their last day in business was Tuesday, June 25th, so I missed getting a last visit in there to see if anything was left there by a few days. It's okay, since I didn't quite find anything I wanted there on a earlier visit after their closing sale started.

Anyone know if Underground Retrocade has reopened yet? I keep looking on their website and on facebook, but they still haven't posted any word about a reopening date and new address yet. They've only indicated to my knowledge, that they'll remain somewhere within East Dundee. Also my only other question is, does anyone know the status of the Blockbuster stores at 67th/Pulaski, North/Harlem(Elmwood Park), and Ogden/Harlem(Berwyn)? Interesting to hear the one at Milwaukee/Ashland is closing, since it goes to show how very fast they've been closing locations. And sometimes I'll look at these closing stores, in the remote chance I do find any interesting deals there(though I often don't).

Mt. Prospect might give you life a little more like Rockford. Metra Service is good that direction, and you would come into Olgilvie station which is the closest Metra station to 121 Union. Plus Rockford isn't hard to get to from that location.

I've lived on the south side as well (95th and Cicero), that SouthWest line sucked (and probably still does because it crosses tracks used by freight trains). The Rock Island is more dependable but goes into a station a good distance from where you'll be at versus the SouthWest line that goes into Union Station which is a bit closer.
Worst thing about the SouthWest Service line IMHO, is that the service is extremely scant on weekends(ONLY 3 trains each direction all day on Saturdays, and that the Sat. train times are very spread out, that you may as well take Rock Island instead if you miss one of those SWS trains. plus it's one of 3 Metra lines with NO SERVICE on Sundays). Personally the few times I've ridden that Metra line, I've NEVER had a problem with delayed trains, except for the usual very minor delays that you notice every so often that are 5-10 minutes late. Also, a flyover bridge is currently being built('Englewood Flyover'), that'll probably reduce the majority of the freight train delays that are talked about on this line.

Also, you could look at residences near stations along the Milwaukee District West line going to Elgin, and which I imagine would be cheaper than ones near the Union Pacific Northwest line(Harvard). I like UP-NW(don't get me wrong), but have always gotten the impression that it must be more expensive to live in most of the communities along that line, vs. MD-W). I'm probably replying too late to your post(and since I procrastinated forever in finally getting a s/n registered here, plus had a past failed attempt in trying to register), but I hope you were able to find somewhere to live that worked out for you.

I'm all concert'd out, saw She & Him at Aragon couple weeks back and wife is dragging me to Michael Buble in September. I am looking forward to Adam Carolla coming to Genesee theater.

If anyone here or anyone you know is interested in Magic The Gathering, Yeti Gaming, a TCG store in the STL area, is doing a Standard tournament on Saturday for an Alpha Mox Emerald that sells on the open market for just under $1000. $25 entry fee, standard constructed format with M14 legal.

WIN-A-MOX Tournament- Alpha Mox Emerald

Saturday July 20th .

Entry is $25.00 
Registration from 9:00 am to 10:30. 
Decklists will be required.

The prize pool will expand, but at this point, the top 4 prizes will be GUARANTEED....

1st - Alpha Mox Emerald
2nd - Sealed Box of Modern Masters
3rd - Sealed Box of Choice (Standard product, not MM)
4th - From the Vault Set

We will give the Mox Emerald Away NO MATTER the attendance at the event!!!

The above prizes are based upon 50 players. 
If the attendance increases above expectation....so will the prizes.

What about the non-winners. Every round we will be giving away a Fat Pack as a door prize.

And yes, we will have a judging staff.

I have a level 2 for my store now.....one that I have the utmost confidence and faith in his judging ability and his style...

As always, we have elite prices for packs and boxes (including M14), and we are always buying and selling cards.

Vince and the Crew and Yeti Gaming. Stepping up Magic Events in St. Louis in 2013

Just curious, does any store in chicago area buy blu ray for ok value?  I have been trying to get rid of Mad Men season 1-3 blu ray and been no bite.

Hey all! You can add me to the list!

Live in Lincoln Park, but you can also find me in Glenview and my hometown of Skokie. 

I collect a lot of retro games. Mainly SNES and PS1 black labels, some PS2. 

Cubs fan. Lived near Wrigley on Addison and Racine in college. We used to sell our three parking spots in the back for $20 a pop. That paid our rent lol. Also sold beer bongs off our front steps to attendees for $4 a pop. Ah, college. 

Anyway, anyone else a retro collector? 

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BEARS!

Cubs fan. Lived near Wrigley on Addison and Racine in college. We used to sell our three parking spots in the back for $20 a pop. That paid our rent lol. Also sold beer bongs off our front steps to attendees for $4 a pop. Ah, college.
Haha! Currently living by Addison and Southport and selling my 3 parking spots in back for $25 a pop. Twice that on concert nights. Awesome bonus source of income to be had in basically 15 minutes of work.

Hey all! You can add me to the list!

Live in Lincoln Park, but you can also find me in Glenview and my hometown of Skokie.

I collect a lot of retro games. Mainly SNES and PS1 black labels, some PS2.

Anyway, anyone else a retro collector?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BEARS!

What's up? I live near Skokie and Cubs fan also. I have Stunt Race FX for SNES if you want it lol

I must admit, Beercade is loads of fun. The machines are all maintained very well and they're all free. 

If anyone thinks they can beat me in Killer Instinct, challenge me now. =D

bread's done
Back