It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be in Chicago next week to visit School of The Art Institute of Chicago. Can anyone suggest any nice places to eat, and maybe some REALLY nice places to eat.

Also, anyone know of any good art stores or gaming stores in the area?

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I'm going to be in Chicago next week to visit School of The Art Institute of Chicago. Can anyone suggest any nice places to eat, and maybe some REALLY nice places to eat.

Also, anyone know of any good art stores or gaming stores in the area?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately there's pretty slim pickings downtown. if you want to take the train a bit further north you can swing by my EB, and i can recommend a ton of restaurants...

Well, I was thinking about this but its up to everyone. Would anyone be interested in a Gameworks get-together; we can hang out in Gameworks, play some games, eat, and trade a few games. Anyone interested?

Also, would anyone know of a few batting cages?

I'd be up for Gameworks (bit of a trek for you guys but WAAAAY easier than meeting by the HIP for me!) One thing I will mention though is the last time I went it didn't seem like they're bringing in any new games lately. I always thought Dave and Buster's had a better selection (more shooting/racing games, etc.) Maybe I'm wrong - haven't been to either in a while.
Dave and Buster's is like 5-10 minutes from Gameworks so whichever you guys prefer. Definitely a lot more places to eat at Woodfield.

[quote name='EdS25']I'd be up for Gameworks (bit of a trek for you guys but WAAAAY easier than meeting by the HIP for me!) One thing I will mention though is the last time I went it didn't seem like they're bringing in any new games lately. I always thought Dave and Buster's had a better selection (more shooting/racing games, etc.) Maybe I'm wrong - haven't been to either in a while.
Dave and Buster's is like 5-10 minutes from Gameworks so whichever you guys prefer. Definitely a lot more places to eat at Woodfield.[/QUOTE]

Hello Ed, Gameworks has those $20 unlimited play for three hours on Sunday and Dave and busters for me is a bit more expensive. But if people want to go to dave and busters instead thats cool.

Gameworks promotions:
http://www.gameworks.com/events/local_events_schaumburg.php

This one seems interesting:
January 27-29 Seagate 2006 Video Game Tour. Check out the latest PC and console games from Sega and other manufacturers. Enter daily tournaments for prizes including Seagate Pocket Hard Drives and hot video game titles!

Dave and busters info:
http://www.daveandbusters.com/?f=1

I think when go to Dave and Buster's I usually just get about $20 worth anyway. It *could* last 3 hours, depending on what games you play - but probably not.

That Tour thing sounds interesting (could be fun, could be lame) but that's like . . this weekend!! I could probably go but historically these meetups take about 2.5 months of planning so not sure about everyone else . . ..

haven't been to gameworks before, but i will say this:

1) spending money sucks on stuff besides food
2) Guitar Hero is inevitably more fun than anything there

personally i would rather go to someone's place, especially if we're trading. i can host if necessary, though if someone else wants to that's even better. just my two cents.

I agree rocksolid (I was trying to get people together to play GH a page or 2 back). Maybe not all of us have tried it yet . . . I'd always be happy to host. But, well, see for yourself - try mapquesting St. Charles. Yeah - didn't think so.

Anybody here have one of those Fallout 1 and 2 dual packages they want to get rid of? Or know where I can get one? Man, I must have passed that up about 300 times over the last 9 years. Saw it everywhere for $5-10 : Target, Wal-mart, bookstores, drug stores, gas stations, etc. The exact minute I decided I had to have one (which was last week sometime) they all instantaneously vanished from the face of the earth. Wtf?

If anyone has one, great. If you're coming to the (as yet unplanned) meetup, even better. And even better still if you're willing to trade on the cheap for it.

Just a heads up that if any Chicago CAGs are in need a 360, the Best Buy boutique store called Escape has plenty of systems (over 20 each core and premium) and is just charging retail for them. It's on north Halsted in the 2100 block (on west side of street - say around 2150)

Also, while BB owns this place, it's semi-independent (meaning it doesn't take the BB coupons or credit card.)

If everyone prefers to just do a meetup or party on someones house thats alright with me. But who will want to plan this?

Also anyone know of any batting cages in Chicago? Thanks.

[quote name='ryosnk']If everyone prefers to just do a meetup or party on someones house thats alright with me. But who will want to plan this?

Also anyone know of any batting cages in Chicago? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Some pretty close to me at Lincoln and Devon but they're outdoor only so closed 'til spring.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Some pretty close to me at Lincoln and Devon but they're outdoor only so closed 'til spring.[/QUOTE]

What are the names (if you can recall) of the places?

[quote name='ryosnk']What are the names (if you can recall) of the places?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Sluggers on Clark and Addison have batting cages? It's near the Cubby Bear.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I'm going to be in Chicago next week to visit School of The Art Institute of Chicago. Can anyone suggest any nice places to eat, and maybe some REALLY nice places to eat.

Also, anyone know of any good art stores or gaming stores in the area?[/QUOTE]

gaming stores-- none that I know of, besides some random best buys and such.
Art stores-- not sure about stores, but there are a ton of galleries

here's a really nice place to eat-- http://www.fogodechao.com/dining.htm

I think it's $50 a plate but you get a virtually unlimited amount of high class meats, side dishes, dessert and a bottle of wine.

Ron of Japan is also good and a bit cheaper
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-44090/??&t=0

they both require reservations and if you go to either, just eat a small breakfast before ;)

[quote name='Apossum']gaming stores-- none that I know of, besides some random best buys and such.
Art stores-- not sure about stores, but there are a ton of galleries

here's a really nice place to eat-- http://www.fogodechao.com/dining.htm

I think it's $50 a plate but you get a virtually unlimited amount of high class meats, side dishes, dessert and a bottle of wine.

Ron of Japan is also good and a bit cheaper
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-44090/??&t=0

they both require reservations and if you go to either, just eat a small breakfast before ;)[/QUOTE]

You forgot to warn him about all the mean people in Chicago.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You forgot to warn him about all the mean people in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: that's it. now you've got me all emo-ed up. i'm blocking you.

[quote name='ryosnk']What are the names (if you can recall) of the places?[/QUOTE]

the bunny hutch is the name of the restaurant attached to the cages/mini-golf area. it's right on the corner.

I know this was started in other thread (I posted in them) but I would like to know from the Chicago people.

Age and how or what got you into gaming?

I'm 28 and started playing games (age 4) on my local food store. My mom would usually shop and she would give me coins to play galaga and turbo; that way I won't bother her. Then my first system was a Sears video game system, then my beloved SMS system, and then my Genesis. Games have been a huge part of me staying out of trouble, since the area I grew up on was heavily gang related (old bucktown before it got it renovation and then in the Humboldt park area) and my some of my friends and cousins were in them also. Gaming is something that I still enjoy even though my wife dislikes games . :)

[quote name='ryosnk']I know this was started in other thread (I posted in them) but I would like to know from the Chicago people.

Age and how or what got you into gaming?

[/QUOTE]

i'm only a chicago person at heart right now, but i'll bite:

i'm 24 and have been gaming basically since I can remember. I played the atari 2600 with my older brother all the time and Pitfall 2 was the first game I got hooked to. Getting a NES was awesome, but arcade games like Double Dragon, Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat truly blew my mind. so I was really into the whole arcade scene in the early 90s, when places like Super Just Games were packed to the walls with people all the time. i'm all about the "gaming trance" for relaxation nowadays, though I don't get as much time to play.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Just a heads up that if any Chicago CAGs are in need a 360, the Best Buy boutique store called Escape has plenty of systems (over 20 each core and premium) and is just charging retail for them. It's on north Halsted in the 2100 block (on west side of street - say around 2150)

Also, while BB owns this place, it's semi-independent (meaning it doesn't take the BB coupons or credit card.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of picking up a premium system, but have been kind of lazy about it.

I haven't been to Escape before. But, if it's at ~ 2150 N Halsted, I should be able to find it. Hopefully they'll have a premium system left.

From you guys' experience, what has worked out the best? I'm guessing the best bet is to go to large retailer, i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, etc.?

I'm 18 and idn't start playing until I was about 10, though I played a few PC games when I was litttle. Duke Nukem scared me. I had a genesis, dreamcast, and a XBOX. My favorite types of games are puzzle, fighting and anything weird. I kinda really stopped playing games as much as I used to though, but that doesn't stop me from buying them when they're on clearance

I'm 28. My dad was a huge gamer and still is (CPU). I remember going to the arcades in the mall with my dad while my mom shopped. If there was an arcade we would stop.

We had an atari system while I was growing up and played Computer games as well. I remember having a Nintendo before anyone else, but I don't remember exactly when. I remember getting a Genesis for Easter a couple of months after it came out. And then a SNES for my birthday.

I have been buying and gaming ever since.

Anyone here planning on going to Play! The Video Game Symphony? I went to Dear Friends a year or two ago and had a great time, but could not convince a single one of my friends to go. I'm also thinking about doing the VIP this time because last time I really regretted not meeting Uematsu.

I'm 26 and I've been gaming since I was like 5-6 years old. It all started with my friend's Atari 2600 from there on out it was history.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']so...meetup? i suppose i'll just host if necessary, seems easiest. whats everyones schedule like?[/QUOTE]

I good on Fridays (7:00 p.m. and up) and Sundays (5:00 p.m and up)

[quote name='EdS25']Anyone here planning on going to Play! The Video Game Symphony? I went to Dear Friends a year or two ago and had a great time, but could not convince a single one of my friends to go. I'm also thinking about doing the VIP this time because last time I really regretted not meeting Uematsu.[/QUOTE]

What is Play! The Video Game Symphony? Can I get a link and can you describe this event?

Yeah that link pretty much describes it in detail. Tickets range from $35 (cheap seats) to $125 (VIP). A lot of the composers will be there, including Jeremy Soule (a personal idol of mine.) Music from Final Fantasy, MGS, Morrowind, Silent Hill, etc. Should be a great time. Tickets seem to be readily available right now (since it's not for another 3½ months) but the Final Fantasy one was totally sold out. People came to it from all over the country.

[quote name='EdS25']Yeah that link pretty much describes it in detail. Tickets range from $35 (cheap seats) to $125 (VIP). A lot of the composers will be there, including Jeremy Soule (a personal idol of mine.) Music from Final Fantasy, MGS, Morrowind, Silent Hill, etc. Should be a great time. Tickets seem to be readily available right now (since it's not for another 3½ months) but the Final Fantasy one was totally sold out. People came to it from all over the country.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info EdS25 and link Darkside Hazuki. I guess I'm going to the Rosemont theatre next week and purchase a few tickets. I'm getting the $35 seats, I have been to that theatre before and its very compact that mostly everywhere is a good seat.

Also did anyone get to subscribe to whitesox.com to get a early bird link to get white sox tickets before they go on sale on Friday?

ryosnk - is it cheaper to buy the tickets there? Cuz they're readily available online.

I completely agree with you that there's not a bad seat in that theater from a visual standpoint. In fact, for something like this I actually prefer the balcony so you can see the whole orchestra. However, at the FF concert I was ever so slightly disappointed because the sound system wasn't great - and in the balcony you definitely were hearing the speakers rather than the orchestra itself. (Was particularly tinny on the choir). So, along with the meet and greet, I'm almost leaning towards the VIP for that as well.

[quote name='EdS25']ryosnk - is it cheaper to buy the tickets there? Cuz they're readily available online.

I completely agree with you that there's not a bad seat in that theater from a visual standpoint. In fact, for something like this I actually prefer the balcony so you can see the whole orchestra. However, at the FF concert I was ever so slightly disappointed because the sound system wasn't great - and in the balcony you definitely were hearing the speakers rather than the orchestra itself. (Was particularly tinny on the choir). So, along with the meet and greet, I'm almost leaning towards the VIP for that as well.[/QUOTE]

If you buy the tickets at the location, they wont charge you any fees from ticketmaster and you can choose which sections still have available seating and usually the people their are nice and helpful. And regarding towards the speakers I was their for a comedy show and the speakers were a bit low too. Hopefully their wont be any issues with the speakers when the event starts.

Well as much I would love to avoid giving TM any money, it's probably not worth the trip for me. Hope to see you there tho.

[quote name='EdS25']Well as much I would love to avoid giving TM any money, it's probably not worth the trip for me. Hope to see you there tho.[/QUOTE]

Well I just bought a few tickets (white sox) and I game TM a nice chunk of my money. Ed, does that best buy (that sell used games) still have any turbo or saturn games?

Also would anyone know of any good import shops within the chicago area? Looking to import a few shooters for the ps2 (Ibara and Mushihimesama).

[quote name='EdS25']Anyone here planning on going to Play! The Video Game Symphony? I went to Dear Friends a year or two ago and had a great time, but could not convince a single one of my friends to go. I'm also thinking about doing the VIP this time because last time I really regretted not meeting Uematsu.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought tickets about 2, 3 weeks ago. I missed out on Dear Friends, though. :(

As for GameWorks, I'm down for heading out there. I live in Rockford, but I could head into Schaumburg. I haven't been to any half-decent arcades recently anyway (all we have here is a nickel arcade--but at least they have DDR Extreme and The Simpsons).

[quote name='ryosnk']Well I just bought a few tickets (white sox) and I game TM a nice chunk of my money. Ed, does that best buy (that sell used games) still have any turbo or saturn games?

Also would anyone know of any good import shops within the chicago area? Looking to import a few shooters for the ps2 (Ibara and Mushihimesama).[/QUOTE]

My sense of direction sucks but if you know where Mitsuwa is in arlington heights, one block south is this awesome import place and the import prices don't often deviate more than $10 over US retail prices (if they had come out here at the same time as the japanese release).

[quote name='jaykrue']My sense of direction sucks but if you know where Mitsuwa is in arlington heights, one block south is this awesome import place and the import prices don't often deviate more than $10 over US retail prices (if they had come out here at the same time as the japanese release).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. Have you bought any games from them before and I cant find any info on games on their website?

[quote name='ryosnk']Thanks for the information. Have you bought any games from them before and I cant find any info on games on their website?[/QUOTE]

If I'm reading this all correctly, he isn't talking about stores in the Mitsuwa marketplace, but rather this location that's nearby. Their focus is mainly on assorted action figures and kits, but they do have a moderate selection of games.

[quote name='heffaji']If I'm reading this all correctly, he isn't talking about stores in the Mitsuwa marketplace, but rather this location that's nearby. Their focus is mainly on assorted action figures and kits, but they do have a moderate selection of games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ryosnk']Thanks for the information. Have you bought any games from them before and I cant find any info on games on their website?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, heffaji is right. I was using that as a location I'm familiar with. As I said, my sense of direction sucks, especially streets. I find landmarks are easier to associate with. Anyway, Mitsuwa is pretty good for imports but I can't remember the name of the place nearby. It opened up recently and I'd only been there once but I remember my friend only paying $70 for Naruto 3 for Gamecube so it seemed like a good place to import.

ryosnk - nah, the BB are all out of the TG games. I suspect one of the 3 or 4 people I told that to went and snatched them all up.

Have you ever ordered from YesAsia? I just got Ouendan from them and was happy with the overall experience. Here is a link to Ibara ($58 w/free shipping)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-games/pid-1004101725/

Incidentally, this game doesn't come out until next week. I couldn't find a link to Mushihimesama on there. I would really love to get both of those games as well but I don't have an import ready PS2. Where did you get yours?

[quote name='EdS25']ryosnk - nah, the BB are all out of the TG games. I suspect one of the 3 or 4 people I told that to went and snatched them all up.

Have you ever ordered from YesAsia? I just got Ouendan from them and was happy with the overall experience. Here is a link to Ibara ($58 w/free shipping)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-games/pid-1004101725/

Incidentally, this game doesn't come out until next week. I couldn't find a link to Mushihimesama on there. I would really love to get both of those games as well but I don't have an import ready PS2. Where did you get yours?[/QUOTE]

I never ordered from yesAsia but I heard good things from the site and here is a code for $5 off: Coupon Code: SINGAPORE06 (posted by 62t :http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85442). Ibara $53 shipped with coupon looks good to me.

I dont have an import system but my friend has a modded ps2 that plays imports and he usually lets me use it. I might buy a ps2 when it goes cheaper and just mod it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Yeah, heffaji is right. I was using that as a location I'm familiar with. As I said, my sense of direction sucks, especially streets. I find landmarks are easier to associate with. Anyway, Mitsuwa is pretty good for imports but I can't remember the name of the place nearby. It opened up recently and I'd only been there once but I remember my friend only paying $70 for Naruto 3 for Gamecube so it seemed like a good place to import.[/QUOTE]

You may be refering to JP Gift, which is down the street in a shopping center at Golf and Arlington Heights Rd. I go there for Gundam MSi figures, Godzilla vinyls, and various gashapon/capsule toys. It actually used to be in Mitsuwa. There is also a location in the city, but I have never been to it. As for import games, I think their prices are steep. When I used to buy imports, I would usually order online from NCS. It has been a long time since I bought any imports. There are no local places that offer mods at a decent price and I don't trust the random asian guys who sell bootleg games at Swaparama. Sony systems are made so half-a**ed that I wouldn't be surprised if it died in a year after modding. I hope after PS3 is out for a bit a new JP PS2 will be more reasonable.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']You may be refering to JP Gift, which is down the street in a shopping center at Golf and Arlington Heights Rd. I go there for Gundam MSi figures, Godzilla vinyls, and various gashapon/capsule toys. It actually used to be in Mitsuwa. There is also a location in the city, but I have never been to it. As for import games, I think their prices are steep. When I used to buy imports, I would usually order online from NCS. It has been a long time since I bought any imports. There are no local places that offer mods at a decent price and I don't trust the random asian guys who sell bootleg games at Swaparama. Sony systems are made so half-a**ed that I wouldn't be surprised if it died in a year after modding. I hope after PS3 is out for a bit a new JP PS2 will be more reasonable.[/QUOTE]

Well I read that ps3 will be region free and that will be great for importing ps2 games (especially Cave shooters :) ).

Region-free holy crap is that true? That would be excellent! In fact, I think I may just go order Ibara now before it becomes impossible to find later.

[quote name='EdS25']Region-free holy crap is that true? That would be excellent! In fact, I think I may just go order Ibara now before it becomes impossible to find later.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did :).

Ordered. $53 for an import game shipped is too good to pass up. Soooo .. . .anyone wanna lend/sell me their J PS2?

bread's done
Back