It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryosnk']Well I read that ps3 will be region free and that will be great for importing ps2 games (especially Cave shooters :) ).[/QUOTE]

Will that include it's ability to play PS2 games? And, as I have no to been paying attention to it's specs, will it play PS1 games? My modded Playstation died awhile back and thus I have 20+ imports I cannot play. Thus, a JP PS2 playing JP 1 and 2 games would be killing two birds with one stone. If PS3 will play 1, 3, and 3 games regradless of region it will be great. Alas, no launch titles for PS3 interest me. Though, considering Sony systems are usually glitchy upon release, maybe that is good. There are still no games for 360 I have any interest in, the price, and the posibility of Microsft not fixing the backwards compatability problem lessens the likelihood of getting one.

Hey rocksolidaudio, nice article you wrote on rare games. Also SeraphiMichael I dont know the information on playstation 3 playing ps1 games.

[quote name='jaykrue']My sense of direction sucks but if you know where Mitsuwa is in arlington heights, one block south is this awesome import place and the import prices don't often deviate more than $10 over US retail prices (if they had come out here at the same time as the japanese release).[/QUOTE]

whoa! I am so there..I can't believe I've never heard of this place. I'm in town for the weekend and can use a couple hundred more packs of good ramen :)

[quote name='Apossum']whoa! I am so there..I can't believe I've never heard of this place. I'm in town for the weekend and can use a couple hundred more packs of good ramen :)[/QUOTE]

If you go to Mitsuwa, stop in the Pastry House Hippo and get a panda pastry. Those are really good.

Man, I haven't been on this board since last summer.

Ryo, if you're still looking for batting cages, I can second recommendations on the one of Devon at Lincoln (Novelty Golf and Games) next to the Bunny Hutch, and Sluggers in Wrigleyville. NG is outdoor and thus closed in the winter, and the latter is upstairs and indoors.

There's also an outdoor one in Mt. Prospect on Rand just N/W of 83 (Elmhurst), but I don't know the name of it. Finally, there's a new multi-story place on Touhy just west of Village Crossing (E of Milwaukee) called Frozen Ropes. Never been there but I've been meaning to check it out.

Rather than make a separate post, I'll take the time to mention here that in the past week or so, I picked up a copy of Bad Mojo and The Longest Journey, both for PC, from Target for $2.50 each. Yahoo!

Was at Kmart earlier and managed to grab the last 2 PSone combos for only $9.99 a piece. It was the one of Roosevelt road. So if you have any kmarts by you, check them to see if they have any. Because they are the same price at everyone.

Btw, the price tag on the PSone combos said $149.99.

ryosnk - did you get your Ibara? I got mine yesterday and it's . . . taunting me. The mini strategy guide with it is pretty sweet.

Any Chi-town CAGs want to loan/sell me an import ready PS2?

[quote name='EdS25']ryosnk - did you get your Ibara? I got mine yesterday and it's . . . taunting me. The mini strategy guide with it is pretty sweet.

Any Chi-town CAGs want to loan/sell me an import ready PS2?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but hopefully I get it soon. I also need a ps2 import :).

Is anyone having any luck finding the blue ($5 off $19.99) GGCs at area Best Buys? The one in North Riverside doesn't carry them anymore (come to think of it, their selection of GGC is weak across the board).

Thanks!

PS - Can we please keep this thread dedicated to gaming-related deals, and not post Sox, Bears, Bulls and other non-related news items? It would make this thread much easier to sort through for game deals.

[quote name='shieryda']Is anyone having any luck finding the blue ($5 off $19.99) GGCs at area Best Buys? The one in North Riverside doesn't carry them anymore (come to think of it, their selection of GGC is weak across the board).[/QUOTE]Yeah, I haven't seen any recently, either. I stopped by the Best Buy on Howard last night (to pick up that MS points card for my 360 that was on sale), and there were no GGC's to be seen. Anyone else have better luck lately?

Awesome - although it seems kind of specific to PS3 games - does it automatically imply backwards compatibility for imports as well? A couple months ago I bought a slim PS2 because my original stopped reading blue discs. I am hoping to avoid having to buy an import PS2 because having 3 in the house just seems . .. well . .. wrong.

Of course, actually obtaining a PS3 should be fun as well (although I lucked out on the 360 - just ordered mine from CC one day when they showed up in stock.)

Also - I see GGC at my BB pretty regularly (the one in Bloomingdale).

[quote name='EdS25']Awesome - although it seems kind of specific to PS3 games - does it automatically imply backwards compatibility for imports as well? A couple months ago I bought a slim PS2 because my original stopped reading blue discs. I am hoping to avoid having to buy an import PS2 because having 3 in the house just seems . .. well . .. wrong.

Of course, actually obtaining a PS3 should be fun as well (although I lucked out on the 360 - just ordered mine from CC one day when they showed up in stock.)

Also - I see GGC at my BB pretty regularly (the one in Bloomingdale).[/QUOTE]

Hey, I got three saturns (one of them import), three dreamcast (two sport editions), two SMS, overall mostly two or more of everything on old classic systems. Hopefully the PS3 plays import games on psone and ps2 games also.

Also the Niles and Harlem Irving bestbuys have a few of the GGC.

[quote name='ryosnk']Also the Niles and Harlem Irving bestbuys have a few of the GGC.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I was hoping to find some at a BB closer to Evanston (which doesn't appear to have any), but it's good to know that the gift cards are still around offline.

Oh, and if you guys were wondering, it looks like the free-shipped ones offered online might have the coupons as well, though I haven't sucked up the courage to order yet. Can anyone confirm this? Here's a link for the cards in question:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat70200050003&type=category

I was hoping to pick up a new $20 (er, $15) copy of God of War soon... real soon. Thanks again for all the help!

[quote name='dpac']Yeah, I haven't seen any recently, either. I stopped by the Best Buy on Howard last night (to pick up that MS points card for my 360 that was on sale), and there were no GGC's to be seen. Anyone else have better luck lately?[/QUOTE]

The Best Buy on Elston had plenty (40+) today when I went to pick up Oblivion - they're located up front by the registers in a large rack full of assorted gift cards. Snagged 5 myself as this has been the only place I've seen them lately as well.

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned this but the Diversions Arcade on the far north side (Lincoln/McCormick) is out of business. R.I.P to another old school arcade.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']The Best Buy on Elston had plenty (40+) today when I went to pick up Oblivion - they're located up front by the registers in a large rack full of assorted gift cards. Snagged 5 myself as this has been the only place I've seen them lately as well.[/QUOTE]Hey, thanks for the word on the Near North Side, Johnny Postman! It's much appreciated.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Also, not sure if anyone mentioned this but the Diversions Arcade on the far north side (Lincoln/McCormick) is out of business. R.I.P to another old school arcade.[/QUOTE]Whoa... and I was just talking with a few gaming buddies the other day about how there were so few genuine arcades left in these parts, Nickel City and Diversions included. Diversions... rest in peace.

Kudos to WXRT for the most elaborate April Fools joke EVER.

For those of you who don't listen, they've been plugging the final airing of Saturday Morning Flashback all week. TONS of people called and e-mailed about how much they'd miss the show and how lame it was for corporate to cancel it. They read some of these e-mails/played some calls on the air and these people were seriously distraught. During the show, there were commercials aired for the replacement programming which included an hour long recap of CBS sitcoms and a 24 radio drama that were so well produced, you'd swear it was legit. Wendy Rice, the host for twenty years, sounded depressed and sighed A LOT through the whole program. Finally, the program director jumps on at the end and gives a huge speech about how much the show has meant to the station and that it'd be sad to see it go. Then they finally let the cat out of the bag.

It was amazing.:applause:

hey just wanted to drop in and say Hello to all my fellow chi-towners. by the way anyone know where i can get a brighter light installed on my ds? (if such a product has come out)

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Kudos to WXRT for the most elaborate April Fools joke EVER.

For those of you who don't listen, they've been plugging the final airing of Saturday Morning Flashback all week. TONS of people called and e-mailed about how much they'd miss the show and how lame it was for corporate to cancel it. They read some of these e-mails/played some calls on the air and these people were seriously distraught. During the show, there were commercials aired for the replacement programming which included an hour long recap of CBS sitcoms and a 24 radio drama that were so well produced, you'd swear it was legit. Wendy Rice, the host for twenty years, sounded depressed and sighed A LOT through the whole program. Finally, the program director jumps on at the end and gives a huge speech about how much the show has meant to the station and that it'd be sad to see it go. Then they finally let the cat out of the bag.

It was amazing.:applause:[/quote]

How is this gaming or deal related???:roll:

It's not. Neither is the baseball talk that occasionally shows up.

It is Chicago related and topical (well, it was four days ago.) If I posted it in the Off-Topic forum, no one would have known what the hell I was talking about.

My apologies if I've ruined your day.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']It's not. Neither is the baseball talk that occasionally shows up.

It is Chicago related and topical (well, it was four days ago.) If I posted it in the Off-Topic forum, no one would have known what the hell I was talking about.

My apologies if I've ruined your day.[/quote]

No offense, but this thread already has enough OT posts. Everytime I see it bumped, I get all excited about a Chicago game deal. Then I read the thread, and it's only about baseball or other Chicago sports. Oh well. I guess it's asking too much for the one Chicago regional thread to remain solely about games and deals...

[quote name='ryosnk']Their is a bunch of premium xbox 360 packages at the brickyard Target.[/QUOTE]
Good to know since I live about 3 minutes from there. I'm going to be buying a 360 pretty soon.

[quote name='jasonlives13']Good to know since I live about 3 minutes from there. I'm going to be buying a 360 pretty soon.[/QUOTE]

Also the Niles best buy has a sign stating xbox 360 systems in stock.

BB at North Riverside (on Cicero near Berwyn) has 360's in stock, too.

Has anyone found the $19.99 Stubbs the Zombie anywhere???

[quote name='shieryda']BB at North Riverside (on Cicero near Berwyn) has 360's in stock, too.

Has anyone found the $19.99 Stubbs the Zombie anywhere???[/QUOTE]

No Stubbs the Zombie in the Niles and Harlem/Irving best buy.

Wal-Mart on Touy had the Multi-player adaptors and the Network adaptors for $8.00 each. Hostel was still $14.99 unlike the other stores.

[quote name='mackaikai']grrrrrrrrr we really need a gamerush ;([/quote]

No doubt. I feel priviledged that I work near Fry's, though. It comes in pretty handy sometimes.

going back to chicago for the summer next week-- save me some deals dammit!

Anybody hitting up the fighting game tournament at Nickel city in Deerfield? I'm considering entering GGSlash or the DoA4 tournaments just for fun. Haven't played 4 in months though.

any one looking for .01 guides? i saw a few in eb thats on 7064 MANNHEIM RD ROSEMONT IL, 60018, right after the airport. i also scored 3x jade empire guides. any one looking for a copy pm me.

Finally got a 360 system for my birthday (thanks to my wife). Well I got GRAW for it and was wondering if anyone in here would like to play some online matches and if not what about some uno :).

[quote name='ryosnk']Finally got a 360 system for my birthday (thanks to my wife). Well I got GRAW for it and was wondering if anyone in here would like to play some online matches and if not what about some uno :).[/QUOTE]Congrats, man! It took me quite a while to pick up (that is, find) a 360 myself, so I'm happy to hear someone else has joined our happy ranks. :D I'll look into Uno, but I was hoping to not have to buy any more points until Street Fighter II's released onto Live Arcade (or its price in Microsoft Points is officially announced). If the Uno demo's an awesome one, though... who knows?

Until Saturday May 27,$99.99 slim ps2 at the new Meijer at Rt.59 and 135th Street in Plainfield, Illinois, no rebates.
They also had 7" portable dvd players for $49 after 20 dollar rebate. This sale is only at the brand new Meijer that recently opened in Plainfield, Illinois on RT.59.

ryosnk : (and anyone else going to "Play" tonight) - PM me if you wanna try and meet up before/after the show.

Ed

[quote name='EdS25']ryosnk : (and anyone else going to "Play" tonight) - PM me if you wanna try and meet up before/after the show.

Ed[/QUOTE]

I went, met up with a couple for friends from vgmusic. :)

Had a blast. My highlight of the night was definately the Koji Kondo solo and Akira Yamaoka's complete badassery. He was just oozing energy on that stage, and just totally rocking out. Threw up the horns and everything! So fucking metal. Everything else was also just spectacular. Other favorites of mine were the Chrono Trigger/Cross medley (from Time's Scar straight to Frog's theme? Oh man), and the World of Warcraft selections, because I'm a goddamn nerd like that.

I managed to pick up the More Friends CD, and I've been listening to it since I got home.

All in all, it was an excellent performance. I got to meet a few people from a couple of other forums I visit (lol, internet), just wished I would have sprung for the VIP tickets, but money was tight as it was.

A little disappointed with the casual dress and the random nonsense being yelled out here and there (CHRONO TRIGGER IS THE BEST GAME EVER WOO), but that might just be me, having been to several symphony orchestra performances in the area, I figured it might be a somewhat formal occaision. I will say that once I arrived, I felt a tad overdressed (was wearing a black dress/ Princess Peach pin).

Now I'll be a complete hypocrite and mention that I did bring my DS--was nicely surprised to see that PictoChat was pretty active. I think that's the only oppurtunity I've had to use that. Fun times.

Zingela - glad you had a good time, I agree 100% with everything you said. It was also a little surreal to get up and walk around, and almost be bumping into Jeremy Soule, Marty O'Donnell, etc. (they were both sitting right near me).

After tickets and a program I just couldn't drop the 30 bones on the More Friends CD. I was also surprised to see it hadn't sold out. I blame the websites - I think if they had put the actual program on there, it would have sold out instantly.

Now the big question is . .. is the Video Games Live concert in August worth going to after seeing this? (seems to be a lot more games but I doubt it will be like Play where Uematsu, Kondo, etc. actually show up)

Oh one more thing - the encore of One Winged Angel seemed like a missed opportunity? It's awesome but the exact same? I was expecting/hoping Uematsu would come out and jam electric lead on it a la Advent Children. Oh welll . . .

[quote name='EdS25']
After tickets and a program I just couldn't drop the 30 bones on the More Friends CD. I was also surprised to see it hadn't sold out.[/quote]
By the intermission, I couldn't find a stand that actually had *any* CDs for sale still. There were More Friends posters availavble though, hah.

Now the big question is . .. is the Video Games Live concert in August worth going to after seeing this? (seems to be a lot more games but I doubt it will be like Play where Uematsu, Kondo, etc. actually show up)
VGL is going to be more relaxed, and seems more like a rock concert/laser show atmosphere. There may be some names in attendance, but nowhere near the extent it was at PLAY!. Keep in mind the show we attended was the premiere, and a lot of those little surprises last night (Koji Kondo piano solo of the NSMB song!) simply will not ber heard on the other stops, as it seems some of the composers might not be attending the other shows.

Program set list for those that are interested:
Play! A Video Game Symphony - Fanfare (Nobuo Uematsu)
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali (Nobuo Uematsu)
-Surprise New Super Mario Bros live piano solo by Koji Kondo!-
Super Mario Bros. - Suite (Koji Kondo)
Shenmue and Shenmue II - Sedge Tree (Takenobu Mitsuyoshi)
Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 - Suite (Joel Eriksson, David Tallroth, Fredrik Englund, Jonas Ostholm, Bence Pajor)
The solo percussionist was simply amazing here. Holy crap can that guy play.
Final Fantasy VII - Aerith's Theme (Nobuo Uematsu)
Sonic the Hedgehog - Suite (Masato Nakamura, suite arranged by Yuzo Koshiro)
Metal Gear Solid - Main Theme (Tappy Iwase, Kazuki Muraoka)
Kingdom Hearts - Suite (Yoko Shinomura, Hikaru Utada)

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Suite (Jeremy Soule)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Suite (not listed on the program. Also, cards were passed out in the lobby for a free download of the entire Oblivion soundtrack)
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross - Suite (Yasunori
Mitsuda)
World of Warcraft - Suite (Jason Hayes)
Silent Hill 2 - Theme of Laura (Akira Yamaoka) Akira Yamaoka went on stage himself and played the lead electric guitar, and he positively was full of energy. I mean, he really rocked out on that song--threw up the horns and milking the crowd and everything! It was quite the sight (and sound)!
Halo - Suite (Martin O'Donnell, Micheal Salvatori)
Unannounced song from Blue Dragon, the upcoming Xbox 360 RPG
The Legend of Zelda - Suite (Koji Kondo)
Final Fantasy VIII - One Winged Angel (Nobuo Uematsu)

Also Angela Aki came on stage and performed "Eyes on Me" from Final Fantasy VIII and "Kiss Me Goodbye" from Final Fantasy XII. This was sometime in the second half of the show, but I can't seem to remember the exact placement. She had an asounding voice.

I am new to this site, so hello to everyone! Is there anyone in or around the Woodstock/Crystal Lake/McHenry area with some CAG deals?????

You did? I'm going there now! I live behind that Target.... Why didn't I check earlier? So stupid... I went to check the Wal-Mart across the street with no luck. Oh man... thanks Darkside Hazuki. I will report back in 30 minutes.

[quote name='Giygas']Any CAGs here go to Northwestern?[/QUOTE]Ah, sorry I missed your message, Giygas. Yup, NU undergrad... er, grad, here. So not really on campus anymore. At least there's the Evanston EB within easy walking distance now... :)

bread's done
Back