It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FFMooglestar']What's up Chicago thread! So I'm gonna be near your town for a few days come mid July. I already picked up some tickets for the Friendly Confines to watch the Cubs take down the Giants on the 13th. How's the food at the stadium? Or do you guys have any recommendations on eating somewhere around the stadium before the game?

Besides Wrigley, is there anything else you guys think I shouldn't miss while I'm there? Places to eat or shop? Or things to do? I'm up for all kinds of suggestions as long as they don't kill my wallet... those Cubbies tickets already hurt it enough. I believe I'll be staying in the Schaumburg area if that helps at all![/quote]

Food can be a pain to get, especially if you're not sitting in field seats.
A good pre or post game cheap eat is Bacci Pizza. It's on Addison, north side of street, between Wrigley and the Red Line station.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']What's up Chicago thread! So I'm gonna be near your town for a few days come mid July. I already picked up some tickets for the Friendly Confines to watch the Cubs take down the Giants on the 13th. How's the food at the stadium? Or do you guys have any recommendations on eating somewhere around the stadium before the game?

Besides Wrigley, is there anything else you guys think I shouldn't miss while I'm there? Places to eat or shop? Or things to do? I'm up for all kinds of suggestions as long as they don't kill my wallet... those Cubbies tickets already hurt it enough. I believe I'll be staying in the Schaumburg area if that helps at all![/quote]

Make sure you visit Weiner Circle after you've been drinking for 6 straight hours, too! El Jardin has pretty decent Mexican food, too.

The friendly confines is known for its average high priced food. As others have stated you are much better off eating before/after the game at a local bar/restaurant.

On a different note I was also very unsatisfied with the taste this year. I always go for the 'taste' portions. So many places had the same kinds of 'taste' portion items compared to past years. Also it used to be all 'taste' items were 3 tickets, now a majority of them were 4 tickets. I'm not sure I'll be returning next year. This was my sixth consecutive year attending since moving to the Chicago area.

Best Buy in Homewood/Glenwood has 50% all anime dvds during the 4th of July weekend.

I'm not sure how much they have left but I was able to get the Kiddy Grade collection for $20 and Black Cat box set for $25.

Good Luck

There were about 20 people standing in line outside the BB on Clark this morning. I think about half (or more) were waiting to get their Wiis.

FYI. The Target on 95th Street in Oak Lawn has a million copies of Call of Duty 2: GOtY (Xbox360) for 5 bucks. There are also about 10 to 15 copies of the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl strategy guide for 4 bucks.

The suburb of Harwood Heights raised their taxes to 10.25 so if your by the local gamestop (by dennys and value city) think again when buying a system cause it adds up.

[quote name='ryosnk']The suburb of Harwood Heights raised their taxes to 10.25 so if your by the local gamestop (by dennys and value city) think again when buying a system cause it adds up.[/quote]

Damn, that's high.

[quote name='ryosnk']The suburb of Harwood Heights raised their taxes to 10.25 so if your by the local gamestop (by dennys and value city) think again when buying a system cause it adds up.[/quote]

Wow. fuck THAT! :bomb:

[quote name='ryosnk']The suburb of Harwood Heights raised their taxes to 10.25 so if your by the local gamestop (by dennys and value city) think again when buying a system cause it adds up.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Chicago - Highest sales tax in the USA. And that a-hole Daley wants to waste how many billions on the Olympics?

[quote name='ryosnk']Would anyone have the Chicago bears pre-sale code?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I need to buy some tickets, but I'll be working when they go offically on sale. My friend was telling me that for some people, they sell them a day early. I guess this "pre-sale code" is the early sale?

[quote name='chicagoz']I need to buy some tickets, but I'll be working when they go offically on sale. My friend was telling me that for some people, they sell them a day early. I guess this "pre-sale code" is the early sale?[/quote]

People on the wait list for season tix get a chance to buy before they go on sale to the public, which was last week according to the email I got.
The pre-sale was limited though. You had to buy tix for the KC pre-season game, then you could choose up to four for any other game.

I'm now doubly glad I didn't go to the Taste. I saw the 'copter footage at the rumble by the fountain. I get enough of that in Uptown, thankyaverymuch.

On the VG front... no news.

[quote name='dfg']I'm now doubly glad I didn't go to the Taste. I saw the 'copter footage at the rumble by the fountain. I get enough of that in Uptown, thankyaverymuch.

On the VG front... no news.[/quote]

Where did you see that at?

[quote name='dfg']I'm now doubly glad I didn't go to the Taste. I saw the 'copter footage at the rumble by the fountain. I get enough of that in Uptown, thankyaverymuch.

On the VG front... no news.[/quote]

I used to live in uptown, but there is not much to do there. Large lesbian population, but that doesn't do a straight male much good. Garcias on Lawrence/Ashland is good though!

Meet the Voice of Master Chief!
Sunday, July 27th at Arlington Park
2-4 pm

Steve Downes, The Drive's Morning Personality and the voice of the Master Chief in the popular Halo Series will be on-site at Arlington Park signing autographs from 2-4 pm on Sunday, July 27th! Bring your games and other Halo merchandise for Steve to sign. You'll also have a chance to enter to win a brand new X-Box 360!

Join us Sunday, July 27th for Pepsi Family Day at Arlington Park (2200 W. Euclid, Arlington Heights, IL 60006). General Admission is $6, patrons 17 years and under are FREE admission

I might go to that for him to sign the games and statue I have. :)

Also would anyone here know how to fix a razor phone (screen black) or would know of a place that does it for cheap?

I saw the fight footage on a local broadcast... 5 or 7... or 9 or 32... can't remember.

I was referring to ghetto Uptown around Truman College. Y'know young black males with their hands on squad cars, people jumping in front of trains and shootings at the Wilson L stop. Good times.

I've been to the Garcia's in Lincoln Square (Western/Lawrence) once. S'okay. My all-time favorite Mexican joint from my high school days was Taco Burrito Palace #2 in Lincoln Park but they've since moved down the street (Lincoln) a bit and it don't feel like home no more. The cheap-eats place I've been meaning to hit for the last x years but always find an excuse not to is Hot Doug's in... Lakeview (3300 N block of California)?

[quote name='dfg']I saw the fight footage on a local broadcast... 5 or 7... or 9 or 32... can't remember.

I was referring to ghetto Uptown around Truman College. Y'know young black males with their hands on squad cars, people jumping in front of trains and shootings at the Wilson L stop. Good times.

I've been to the Garcia's in Lincoln Square (Western/Lawrence) once. S'okay. My all-time favorite Mexican joint from my high school days was Taco Burrito Palace #2 in Lincoln Park but they've since moved down the street (Lincoln) a bit and it don't feel like home no more. The cheap-eats place I've been meaning to hit for the last x years but always find an excuse not to is Hot Doug's in... Lakeview (3300 N block of California)?[/quote]

I used to go to taco burrito palace #2 B4 they moved too. I went once after they moved. (I just remember the new location being really bright and white). I am pretty sure that is the place I used to go to with my buddy, but it was before I lived in Chicago, so I could be wrong.

[quote name='stewie75']I'm pretty sure I snagged the last Zelda, and the 360 games I saw was a Bomberman Act Zero, Tiger Woods 06, a few Rayman Raving Rabbids, 1 or 2 Stuntman Ignitions, and 3 or 4 Star Wars Original Trilogies. But there was a ton of PS2 games, especially the Hack games, not sure the exact titles, I've never played the series. Didn't see any PS3 games(Damnit)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if .hack GU Vol 2 is there...?

[quote name='dfg']The cheap-eats place I've been meaning to hit for the last x years but always find an excuse not to is Hot Doug's in... Lakeview (3300 N block of California)?[/QUOTE]
I don't know what neighborhood it's in, but that's Hot Doug's all right, on the other side of the river from Lane Tech H.S./College Prep. Just be aware that they close by 4 P.M. Monday through Saturday and are prone to unusual days off (like next Monday and Tuesday, the 21st and 22nd of July). Check their web site and/or call to be sure:

http://www.hotdougs.com/

Oh, and the more exotic fare's not exactly cheap (see the online menu), so be sure to bring some extra money, just in case.

Hey all, I have two desktop PC's up for auction on Ebay. One is a Dell XPS 400 and the other is a custom built housed in a Cooler Master case.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgrendel19QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ32QQfsooZ2QQrdZ0

I've posted in the auction forum, but I'd thought I mention it here also in case any locals who would be interested in doing a local pickup. I didn't mention this in my auction, but local pickup is fine and of course shipping charges would be waived. I'm over in the SW suburbs.

Just trying to sell these PC's to pay for some upgrades. I forgone Craigslist because of flaky buyers in the past, so ended up going through Ebay, though I'd prefer to avoid shipping these PC's.

Anyway, thanks for looking, tell your friends! :)

[quote name='chi.bri']Has anyone been to the Imax in Licolnshire? Is it assigned seating like the Imax at Navy Pier or is it first come first serve?[/QUOTE]Was there a few years back for The Matrix Reloaded, and I don't remember having to deal with assigned seating. On a related note, it's hard to compare any IMAX screen to the wrap-around one at the Museum of Science and Industry, but it's nice to see a big action movie on a big screen.

I was thinking about going to Imax to check out batman but dont want to drive far for it. So I'm planning to go to Muvico and splurge with the VIP seating. :)

[quote name='ryosnk']I was thinking about going to Imax to check out batman but dont want to drive far for it. So I'm planning to go to Muvico and splurge with the VIP seating. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I wanted to go to Navy Pier but all the shows for the next couple of weeks were sold out.

[quote name='boatack13']FYI. The Target on 95th Street in Oak Lawn has a million copies of Call of Duty 2: GOtY (Xbox360) for 5 bucks. There are also about 10 to 15 copies of the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl strategy guide for 4 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, was this the Greatest Hits version? I may be interested in snagging one of those if it's the original

[quote name='dfg']I saw the fight footage on a local broadcast... 5 or 7... or 9 or 32... can't remember.

I've been to the Garcia's in Lincoln Square (Western/Lawrence) once. S'okay. My all-time favorite Mexican joint from my high school days was Taco Burrito Palace #2 in Lincoln Park but they've since moved down the street (Lincoln) a bit and it don't feel like home no more. The cheap-eats place I've been meaning to hit for the last x years but always find an excuse not to is Hot Doug's in... Lakeview (3300 N block of California)?[/quote]

Hot Doug's Rules. End of story. They do have crazy hours because Doug goes on vacation on a whim, and there usually is a wait, but it's worth it. I would wait for the autumn when the whether isn't so conducive to standing outside for 20 minutes. I've had the game sausage of the week (i think it was venison) and some sort of french sausage with creamy cheese and dijon mustard. You'll defintely feel like a fat ass but you've gotta treat yourself every now and then.

Also, El Famous Burrito in Rogers Park kicks ass. Great chicken enchiladas.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Hmmm, was this the Greatest Hits version? I may be interested in snagging one of those if it's the original[/quote]

Nope. They were in the translucent green cases. Its the original with the extra disc containing making of features and such. Can't beat it for five bucks, I bought two. I was there again about a week ago and they still in abundance, the whole end-cap clearance section is pretty much Call of Duty 2.

How long has Microcenter been taking trades? I was paging thru an ad I got in the mail today, and saw their little section about it. I didn't see anything about trades when I was in there a few weeks ago with that coupon.

[quote name='dfg']How long has Microcenter been taking trades? I was paging thru an ad I got in the mail today, and saw their little section about it. I didn't see anything about trades when I was in there a few weeks ago with that coupon.[/quote]

They've been doing it for at least a year, I think. They don't seem to promote it to much and I wonder how it works. Do they give you decent value for the games? Also they let you use your trade value for anything else in the store.

[quote name='shieryda']If anyone can pick me up a Persona 3 guide at Gamestop (supposed to be pennied), I'd greatly appreciate it.:D[/quote]

I was going to buy one for 9.99 b4 I went to comiccon and now I don't I will be able to find one. :bomb:

[quote name='dfg']How long has Microcenter been taking trades? I was paging thru an ad I got in the mail today, and saw their little section about it. I didn't see anything about trades when I was in there a few weeks ago with that coupon.[/QUOTE]
If you're wondering about trades in Chicago, you might have to wait a while: the Micro Center on Elston is one of the three MCs not participating in the program, as far as I know. More often that not, you'll see those exceptions listed in fine print below the ad section dealing with trade-ins. Here's what the latest Gaming Update e-mail had to say about that:

** Used games & trade-ins are not available at St. Davids PA, Elston Ave, Chicago IL & Rockville MD locations. Product quantities are limited, vary or not available in all stores. While supplies last.

Thanks for that clarification, dpac. I double-checked the print ad, and there's nothing about our location not participating. Bastards!

Holy balls W-T-F is with this storm? Damn thunder sounds like gunshots. Shit is actually hurting my ears. I've never had that happen before.

That shit was whack last night! We hunkered down in the basement for about an hour with our baby. It cleared up and then all hell broke loose again around 10:45. I was grilling some chicken at around 7:45, and almost got struck by lightning!

So much damage in our area from trees and roofing materials. This is the worst storm I have ever been in, and I've been on this earth for 34 years! When I heard the tornado sirens going off, I was in disbelief because I didn't think Chicago ever got hit by tornadoes.

Hope everyone gets their power restored today. My wife said that 100,000 were without power.

I was at the Applebees by the Brickyard when the shit went down. Power kept going on and off in the place. The Popeyes next door as well as all the signs went completely off. On the way home there was a massive tree in the middle of the street that blocked off the whole road. We took a side street and there were trees down everywhere.

Tornado sirens went off? Shit are you serious? I didn't hear them. All I know is God must have been PISSED. Did His 360 RROD or something? That storm was too crazy.

[quote name='Blackout542']I was at the Applebees by the Brickyard when the shit went down. Power kept going on and off in the place. The Popeyes next door as well as all the signs went completely off. On the way home there was a massive tree in the middle of the street that blocked off the whole road. We took a side street and there were trees down everywhere.

Tornado sirens went off? Shit are you serious? I didn't hear them. All I know is God must have been PISSED. Did His 360 RROD or something? That storm was too crazy.[/quote]

Yeah, man. The lightning was flashing so frequently that it reminded me of some crazy discoteque with strobe lights. Probably some of the loudest thunder that I've ever heard.

I felt bad for the little rabbit that was caught out in it. He was huddled under a small tree in our gazebo area outside our front door.:cry: Probably shitting himself silly.

I guess quite a few residents in our community had roof and vehicle damage (from the clay roof tiles falling down). One guy took pictures and sent them to our association. His windshield was demolished.

bread's done
Back