It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jalopez86']Did you see any Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition? Either way I'm hitting that place up tomorrow. Love you man.[/quote]

The only zelda game i saw for $3.99 was the four swords adventures for gamecube.

Has anyone ever subscribed gottaplay? How is the company compared to gamefly and gameznflix in Chicago? I know all of those companies are slow, but gottaplay has a shipping center in Chicago, so I guess that should be better than the other two. I'm gonna quit my first month $9 trial of gamefly if my first two games don't arrive by this week. I really need your comment. Thanks!

Anyone going to this. Read this form timeout Chicago.

Ode to joysticks
From 8-bit to Xbox, video games get symphonic respect.

By Brent DiCrescenzo

OH, THE PLUMBER On YouTube you can find people playing the Super Mario theme with a ruler, church organ, burps, farts, trombone, mandolin, wine bottles and more.
Illustration: Jude Buffum
In 1983, Nintendo hired classically trained Koji Kondo, barely out of his teens, to compose music for its new home video-game system. By 1985, when the Japanese giant released the console in the U.S. as the Nintendo Entertainment System, Kondo had hit his stride with the classic theme to Super Mario Bros.
It’s undoubtedly classic—it perennially ranks as one of the top ringtone downloads. Most people can hum it. But is it classical? Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, creators of Video Games Live, certainly think so. Game scores previously have been presented in concert form, but the two game composers take it to the next level when the event comes to the Chicago Theatre on Saturday 15. During the performance, the Metropolis Symphony Orchestra—a lesser-known group formerly known as Symphony of the Shores—will whip through approximately 20 classic video-game scores from Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Tomb Raider and more. Oh, and members of the audience will be randomly invited onstage to play synchronized segments of the games on a massive projection screen. Cosplay is encouraged. Get in line, geeks.
The first to use live guitar on a game soundtrack, Tallarico has worked on nearly 300 of them. Wall began in rock, engineering records by John Cale and the Jesus Lizard before successfully moving into game scoring. In July 2005, the duo’s VGL concept debuted to more than 11,000 people at the Hollywood Bowl with the L.A. Philharmonic, and it’s since toured the world using local orchestras.

[quote name='sying']Quick question for you Chicagoites. I've lived in Florida all my life, but now I have an opportunity to accept a position in Chicago, and just wonder how the living is up there, besides the obvious cold and wind. Is there lots to do, hows the CAG atmosphere, cost of living, etc. Thanks in advance ya'll.[/quote]

Really depends on where you live. I've got a few properties in Orlando & SoBe* and they're grossly more than quite a number of properties I've got throughout Chicago, including the growing West Side & South Loop areas. If you move to a suburb like Schaumburg or Northbrook then, yeah, expect it to be similar (though still cheaper) to SoBe*.

There's a ton of stuff to do, from relaxing on Navy Pier to partying it up on Club Row on Lake Street to gettin' yo smarts on at the Field Museum to acting like a snob at the Art Institute and so on. This is not including finding nice little niche restaurants of a wide variety that would rival NY. I'd say probably the bigger advantage Florida has is the hot babe factor. But, if you're persistent (and hang around the Gold Coast area), finding beautiful young sweets isn't that difficult.

Taxes & gas are a bitch, especially if you live in Chicago proper as they tend to be grossly disproportionate to the national average (moreso the gas than the taxes).

Can't specifically speak of the CAG atmosphere as I'm usually busy working around the city or out of the city when the meet-ups happen though I'd like to think Chi-CAGs are good peoples.

*to be fair, South Beach IS fcuking expensive.

If anyone is yearning to hit up a Target Clearance rack, or two, you might want to hit up the Target on 40-something and Pulaski. They had a bunch of third-party PS2 controls, 360 charging kits, 360 wheel (official Microsoft). They had Face Breaker for 25$. I almost picked up Face Breaker but even for 25$ I thought it was a couple bucks too much.

[quote name='jaykrue']Really depends on where you live.

Taxes & gas are a bitch, especially if you live in Chicago proper as they tend to be grossly disproportionate to the national average (moreso the gas than the taxes).

[/QUOTE]

ya... 10% tax is just crazy, but gas is actually getting cheaper. i've seen it at $2.45 today.

I just got back from the Batavia Target on Randall and they had 1 120gb 360 HD marked at 125. I did not scan it to check the price. They changed there game section and it is on one of the clearance endcaps.

Just got back from the Circuit City Clearance on 1030 W. North Ave. They didn't have squat worth it. I picked up Ultimate Ghost and Goblins for 9$ for the PSP. The games are only 15% off right now. I saw some Fallout 3 CE there. All in all I'd say to hold off. I over heard the cashier say that prices will e slashed 10% every 2 weeks.

I just got back from the Best Buy on 87th and Dan Ryan. They had, I'd say, four or five bins of "Buy One Get One Free" with games from each console (Wii, PS3, 360, DS, PSP, GBA, XBOX). Went ahead and picked up Power Stone Collection, Warhammer, Crazy Taxi all for PSP and Fantastic Four for PS3 for 27$.

[quote name='jalopez86']I just got back from the Best Buy on 87th and Dan Ryan. They had, I'd say, four or five bins of "Buy One Get One Free" with games from each console (Wii, PS3, 360, DS, PSP, GBA, XBOX). Went ahead and picked up Power Stone Collection, Warhammer, Crazy Taxi all for PSP and Fantastis Four for PS3 for 27$.[/QUOTE]

shit!!! I was gonna stop there saturday, but i ran late for a play on belmont

[quote name='WeaponX2099']shit!!! I was gonna stop there saturday, but i ran late for a play on belmont[/QUOTE]

I was at the Best Buy on North Ave on Sunday and I saw bins there but I didn't see any signs with the offer. So I don't think this deal is exclusive to the Best Buy on 87th. Just hit up the one on North Ave. Unless you want a Halo Legendary Edition. They had a bunch on 87th for 60$.

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone want to have a gow 2 Chicago night let me know. Also we past atlanta post. :)[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to get a game going. I haven't had a chance (or excuse) to crack my copy open since I'm still playing through GTAIV. That's the great part about being a CAG, unless I get it cheap or free, I'm probably not playing it until 6 months after it come out. Obviously Gears 2 was a freebie which is why I have it. How about some games this weekend or next week leading up to the holiday?

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone going to this. Read this form timeout Chicago.
[/quote]

Not planning on going, but I am a huge fan of the Jesus Lizard (see avatar) and I also get TOChicago (thanks WTTW Fun 'n Run!), and that was the last place I expected to see the band mentioned.

So, yeah.

[quote name='shieryda']Any 120gb hard drives to be found in Chicago?[/quote]
Saw some at Target on 43rd and Pulaski and the Target by Mckinley park. They had been marked down and were on clearance. I think, but don't quote me on this, they were priced at 120$ pre tax.

I have heard that VG have dropped to at closing CC. I was going to check that out today after work.

Edit: My source was wrong. No new price drops.

[quote name='shieryda']2 hard drives left at Norridge.
0 hard drives left at Berwyn.[/QUOTE]

The 120 GB at Norridge rang up at $139.99 today. I picked one up anyway (1 left) and will try to price match it at the Elston store where they were listed for $99.99 but OOS.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']The 120 GB at Norridge rang up at $139.99 today. I picked one up anyway (1 left) and will try to price match it at the Elston store where they were listed for $99.99 but OOS.[/quote]

I asked the manager at that store about the price earlier this week, and he said that they usually update prices everyday, and that the price should be universal. I was gonna call back today, but found one at Berwyn already.

I have the great fortune of attempting to return a used game at GameStop tomorrow. It's weird, sometimes they act like asses, some likes asses-and-a-half and others could care less. I prefer the ladder.

I've been wanting to pick up Harvey Birdman but even at 15$, which is what it's going for at Target, seemed a bit too steep. However, just ran a search at GameStop and its going for 10$ used. I can use the newsletter coupon and my edge card and get it for around 8$. I'll bit at that price.

Has anyone been to the GameStop on 31st and Halsted? Have you had any run-ins with Robert, Black guy with dreds? He has to be the worst employee I've encountered in quite some time. He didn't want to take my cellfire coupon, even though I've been using cellfire for about a month around the city, and didn't want to take my gameboy micro return, even though everywhere else I called they said they would. I say we boycott the shit out of that GameStop. Come on! It's like "dude you work in fucking retail. you're gonna have returns and coupons. READ YOUR fuckING MEMOS!" Are there any cool GameStop managers from Chicago in here 'cuz damn. I want to be friends with you and shop at your store exclusively and fuck that biznaitch Robert.

The best GS in Chicago IMO is the one on Cicero over at Six Corners. Everyone who works there is cool as hell.

I've been watching the clearance racks at Target and the closing CC out by work in Vernon Hills but there hasn't been much to see. Flipping soccer moms are killing this area. I'll be all over those here if anyone wants to network/swap/watch out for each other out here. I'm in Vernon Hills during the day and semi near the Schaumburg Target at night

[quote name='Blackout']The best GS in Chicago IMO is the one on Cicero over at Six Corners. Everyone who works there is cool as hell.[/QUOTE]
I'll try and check it out sometime.

[quote name='Blackout']The best GS in Chicago IMO is the one on Cicero over at Six Corners. Everyone who works there is cool as hell.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm lucky. I can walk across the street to it, but I've only been there once since I moved by it in May. I'll have to hit it up more, especially since I have a couple gift cards to burn.

[quote name='chicagoz']I guess I'm lucky. I can walk across the street to it, but I've only been there once since I moved by it in May. I'll have to hit it up more, especially since I have a couple gift cards to burn.[/quote]

I can attest that this is a good store (I live down the street in the opposite direction).

[quote name='chicagoz']I guess I'm lucky. I can walk across the street to it, but I've only been there once since I moved by it in May. I'll have to hit it up more, especially since I have a couple gift cards to burn.[/quote]

Yeah it's the best one I've been too. Everything is clean. Everyone who works there knows about the games and are pretty cool. Check it out. I vouch for it.

BTW, does anyone know if Rolling Stones is doing a Black Friday sale?

[quote name='Blackout']

BTW, does anyone know if Rolling Stones is doing a Black Friday sale?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I forgot about Rolling Stones. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Bensenville. Since I moved out west (Geneva and now West Chicago), I haven't been there in years.

[quote name='Blackout']The best GS in Chicago IMO is the one on Cicero over at Six Corners. Everyone who works there is cool as hell.[/quote]

For those in the immediate north suburbs, the GS at the Niles Civic Center is excellent and pretty much where I exclusively go. Out northwest, I've had good luck in Schaumburg at Golf & Roselle and at Barrington and Schaumburg roads. And directly west, the store in Aurora on Rte. 59 by Meijer was a frequent hangout when I lived there.

At blockbuster in Roselle(the supercenter)

pS3 -

Army of Two - $20.99
Assasins Creed - $20.99
Battlefield Bad Company - $30.99
Call of Duty 4 - $32.99
The Club - $33.99
Condemned 2 - $ 27.99
Dark Sector $13.99
Devil May Cry 4 - $27.99
Enemy Territory Quake Wars - $44.99
GTA 4 - $40.99
Guitar Hero 3/W guitar $52.99
Guitar Hero Aerosmith/w guitar $71.99
Guitar Hero Aerosmith software $37.99
Incredible Hulk $23.99
Lego Batman $36.99
Lego Indiana Jones $36.99
Madden 09 $ 45.99
MLB 2k8 $ 20.99
Metal Gear Solid 4 $37.99
NBA 2k9 $45.99
Pure $43.99
Ratchet & Clank $32.99
Saint's Row 2 $44.99
Soul Caliber IV $44.99
Tiger Woods 09 $45.99
Rainbow Six Vegas $27.99
Turok $19.99
Uncharted Drakes...$39.99
Unreal III $39.99
Viking: Battle of Asgard $27.99
Wall E $30.99

X360, again all new games

they have a bundle for 299
you get 20GB xbox(new) blue demon, Kung fu panda, lego indiana jones, extra controller, 3months xbox live, and 4 xbox game rentals.

Army of Two $20.99
Battlefield Bad Company $30.99
brothers in arms hell's highway $44.99
Charnicles of Narnia 22.99
The Club 33.99
Condemned 2 27.99
Dark Sector 13.99
Deadliest Catch 23.99
Devil may cry 4 - 27.99
Quake Wars 44.99
Facebreaker 22.99
GTA 4 0 40.99
Grid 37.99
Guitar Hero 3/w guitar 52.99
GH aerosmith/w guitar 71.99
GH aerosmith soft 37.99
Incredible hulk 23.99
lost planet 22.99
mlb 2k8 20.99
nba 2k9 45.99
nba live 09 45.99
ncaa footbal 09 39.99
ninja gaiden 2 - 28.99
pure 43.99
rockband 2 software 45.99
Saint's row 2 44.99
tiger woods 09 45.99
timeshift 17.99
too human 39.99
unreal III 30.99
viking: battle of asgard 27.99
wall e 30.99

Wii
ok alot of crap here. But there is some first party goodness.

battle of the bands 13.99
big beach sports 15.99
blast works 15.99
boom blox 27.99
bully 20.99
de blob 37.99
dragon quest swords 27.99
guitar hero 3/ with guitar 46.99 (they stillhad 1 left)
GH aerosmith soft 30.99
house of the dead 2 & 3 20.99
lego indiana jones 36.99
madden 09 38.99
mario & sonic at the olympics 27.99
mario party 8 27.99
mario strikers charged 27.99
mario super sluggers 37.99
ncaa football 09 23.99
ninja reflex 22.99
sega superstars tenis 20.99
star wars: the force unleashed 36.99
super mario galaxy 24.99
super smash bros 33.99
tiger woods 09 38.99
wall e 30.99
wario land shake it 37.99
wii skii 22.99
wonderworld amusement 30.99

NDS

Brain Age 2 11.99
Guitar Hero On Tour 37.99
Kirby Super Star 23.99
Lego Batman 22.99
Mario Party DS 21.99
Mysims 16.99
Mystry Case files 15.99
Pokemon Mystry Dungeon(2 diff) 23.99
Professor Layton 21.99
SimCity Creator 22.99
Sonic Chronicles 26.99
Spectrobes 22.99
Spore Creatures 22.99
Star Wars Force Unleashed 26.99
zoo tycoon 2 13.99

I know this sounds lame, but if any of you Chicago CAGs would be interested in playing Uno over XBL I'd be down. Maybe we could get a couple people to play. I just got the game and am really enjoying it.

[quote name='Blackout']I know this sounds lame, but if any of you Chicago CAGs would be interested in playing Uno over XBL I'd be down. Maybe we could get a couple people to play. I just got the game and am really enjoying it.[/quote]

Deal me in.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I'm up for some UNO. Add me.[/quote]

I'll send you a request tonight. How about a round or two tomorrow night??

I'll be at my sisters in St Charles for Thanksgiving but I will be home later that night. A relaxing round of UNO after a big meal sounds good

Here's a random thought. Why don't we have a Chicago CAG gamer tag that people can add as a friend? Seems like a good way to keep track of everyone, see who is playing what and help gather everyone for some Chicago CAG gaming nights by using friend of a friend function.
RYOSNK, since your the defacto admin would you be down for creating the tag and hosting it?

[quote name='chi.bri']Here's a random thought. Why don't we have a Chicago CAG gamer tag that people can add as a friend? Seems like a good way to keep track of everyone, see who is playing what and help gather everyone for some Chicago CAG gaming nights by using friend of a friend function.
RYOSNK, since your the defacto admin would you be down for creating the tag and hosting it?[/quote]

I concur. I would do it, but I don't know.

[quote name='chi.bri']Here's a random thought. Why don't we have a Chicago CAG gamer tag that people can add as a friend? Seems like a good way to keep track of everyone, see who is playing what and help gather everyone for some Chicago CAG gaming nights by using friend of a friend function.
RYOSNK, since your the defacto admin would you be down for creating the tag and hosting it?[/QUOTE]

I can create one but it wont be gold just a silver membership. I will post the gamertag when I do it. Good idea.

bread's done
Back