It Took 18 Seconds to Realize I Wasted $65 on WrestleMania Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Golden Idol']I think Bryan was booked exactly as he was because he won the belt through MITB. Punk was booked EXACTLY the same way during his first two MITB reigns. The Miz never really won clean through his MITB title reigns. Swagger, Del Rio same story.

I know a lot of you knock the WWE for thinking its audience has the memory of a goldfish, but this type of booking for the MITB winner has been going on since 2005. It's 2012 and never once has the WWE deviated from this kind of booking of MITB winners.[/QUOTE]

RVD says hello!

I just want to pop back in and say that last night's Raw was more than enough to wash away the awful taste of Wrestlemania and I hope the YES chants continue.

[quote name='ced']I will gladly accept dueling Yes!/No! if that squashes What? once and for all.[/QUOTE]

As long as Ed Leslie doesn't think it means people want to see the return of the Zodiac character :lol:

[quote name='mitch079']Wasn't Cena's first big feud against Lesnar and how the FU/AA came to be?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. It was also one of the few times WWE ever gave the basic "You're the champ. I'm the challenger. I can beat you" storyline a try, and to that effect I feel it worked.

Pretty obvious that Tensai's going to be feuding with Punk shortly - his name supposedly translates to "natural disaster", which is what Lauranitis referred to when Punk was laid out on the floor.

Every time I see Cena in full "CenaGear" I can't help but think he looks like an over-sized kid.

[quote name='Purple Flames']RVD says hello![/QUOTE]

But, RVD is the only MitB winner who called his shot and said when he was cashing his shot and stuck to it, unlike every other winner who has beaten a weakened opponent.

Besides this and breaking the record from Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero, officials were hoping to get the Brogue Kick over as a dominant move.

For those wondering, Daniel Bryan is not being punished and there is said to be no heat on him.

if that isnt the dumbest shit ive heard...

It's particularly annoying about the Brogue Kick because (1) it's name is lame and basically redundant --- unless there's a definition I'm unaware of (entirely possible) and (2) they just hired a big dude who also does that move in his offense that they sort of have to stop using now.

[quote name='renique46']Besides this and breaking the record from Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero, officials were hoping to get the Brogue Kick over as a dominant move.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like thinking you have your finger right on the pulse, and discovering it's actually jammed up your quivering sphincter...

[quote name='mitch079']As long as Ed Leslie doesn't think it means people want to see the return of the Zodiac character :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I was hoping nobody was going to take it there. Though mad props to anyone that goes to a show dressed up as such an obscure reference whilst participating in said Yes/No chant.

Early reports out of Orlando are saying that Yes! Chants have started outside of the arena. Not as strong, but a good amount. NXT/SD should, hopefully, be fun to watch this week.

Spoiler based on early reports from the local advertisements for Extreme Rules...

John Cena vs. CM Punk
Randy Orton vs. Kane in a cage

I imagine the first will be changed in some fashion.

I completely forgot about Extreme Rules being in Chicago. I must go and bring the YES! with me. We can outloud Miami.

[quote name='Scorch']Early reports out of Orlando are saying that Yes! Chants have started outside of the arena. Not as strong, but a good amount.[/QUOTE]
These are the rumblings of something great starting.....that we will all loathe in 2-3 years. I'm stilling the DB avatar as well for my signature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUx8uIUakzo

This segment was, to me, the most fascinating from last night.

1) The centerpiece of the segment - the debut of the new big gold belt champion, and the return of ADR after months off due to injury - is mere background noise compared to the fans wrestling control of the segment and, for lack of a better phrase, going into business for themselves. As much as we loved the crowd, WWE can't be happy that the crowd used this segment as an opportunity to express their displeasure with the Bryan/Sheamus match at WM. The main players in this segment became background noise, their story arc irrelevant.

2) It's amazing, to me, how the segment seems to move along on all fronts as if the crowd doesn't exist. Not just Sheamus and ADR sticking to their script, ignoring the crowd's very existence. But Cole and Lawler no-selling the crowd, and the recaps of the show on the WWE website ignoring it as well. WWE had a point to get across (Sheamus is a beloved and competent WHC, ADR has returned and is a threat to said WHC), and there was no way they would dare let crowd disapproval get in the way of communicating that narrative. As much as WWE says they let the crowd dictate the direction of the product (cue trite cliches from wrestlers about the audience as a "real time focus group" or somesuch nonsense), that's only a partial truth. They listen to the crowd if the crowd is responding the way they want them to.

tumblr_m1vx5f6vD11r9vcipo4_250.gif

[quote name='JP']These are the rumblings of something great starting.....that we will all loathe in 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Enjoy this while it lasts, peeps.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Both JR and Piper have tweeted Chief Jay Strongbow has passed. :([/QUOTE]

Quoted in case people missed it. IMO, this is bigger news than an 18 second match and hating on Sheamus.

[quote name='mightymek']The section I was sitting at during Wrestlemania was chanting YES! all night too, myself included. I think it maybe didn't come across on TV as well because of the size difference. If 13,000 people scream YES at a stadium with 78,000 people, it won't come across as loud as if 8,000 people are screaming it in an arena with 13,000 people. I actually said I thought the crowd made the show at Mania. Also, figure a ton of people went to Mania that don't watch wrestling anymore, and just went because it's the first time Mania was in South Florida. People at Raw = current fans who know what to chant and when. Either way, the South Florida crowd really showed it's support at both shows in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

The Raw crowd sounded just like the Wrestlemania crowd as far as I'm concerned. If Sunlife Stadium had a roof instead of being outdoors, the volume would have been identical.

I give Raw a 4 out of 5 for a few reasons:

Besides finding Santino annoying, I also don't like how he's been a champion yet continues to lose matches (I thought heels were suppose to do that, not faces). I believe this was the first time he actually put his title on the line and won since winning the belt 3-4 weeks ago. Do we really need Brodus and Santino teaming up against two guys that are getting the jobber treatment as of late? Has the tag scene suffered enough?

Not enjoying the continuous burial of Zach Ryder, especially at the Miz's expense. I'm hoping the two make it watchable (Eve and Miz an item perhaps?), but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Even though Brock Lesner laying out Cena was great, the buildup was painful. All these years I thought "kick your leg out of your leg" was repetitive, but Cena said the same thing over and over and over for minutes complete with goofy facial expressions. I would have loved to see Cena all stressed out appearance wise knowing he's "number 2".

And if they want me to take Cena's words seriously, then at least have the nerve to make the guy TAKE OFF HIS HAT while talking. It's cool when Undertaker talks in his gear, but not when you're dressed like a child. Brock "helping" Cena remove his hat sealed that moment for me.

[quote name='Cage017']
The Raw crowd sounded just like the Wrestlemania crowd as far as I'm concerned. If Sunlife Stadium had a roof instead of being outdoors, the volume would have been identical.[/QUOTE]

That's the point. You don't see anything wrong with 13,000 sounding the exact same as 70,000+?

[quote name='Cage017']All these years I thought "kick your leg out of your leg" was repetitive, but Cena said the same thing over and over and over for minutes complete with goofy facial expressions.[/QUOTE]
To be fair to Cena on this he was stalling as from what I've read Brock arrived about a minute before he came out. Cena was probably told to stall and fill up time until given a signal from someone at ringside.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's the point. You don't see anything wrong with 13,000 sounding the exact same as 70,000+?[/QUOTE]

In the sense that, as Mightymek was saying, many of the people went there because it was a cool thing to do as opposed to more of the Raw crowd that followed the show as big fans? Yeah. I think there should be more of a fanbase popularity for the product and people went not just because it's Wrestlemania.

In the sense that it sounded louder in person than how people are saying the crowd sucked at the PPV (which was the mindset of my original comment while typing it)? No. I'm still irked me that it was so loud yet it came across differently to everyone else watching (yeah it probably would have sounded louder than 13,000 regardless of the fanbase. I admit, you got me on that point).

[quote name='JP'] To be fair to Cena on this he was stalling as from what I've read Brock arrived about a minute before he came out. Cena was probably told to stall and fill up time until given a signal from someone at ringside. [/QUOTE]

I figured that much. Still, I was hoping for something a little better given his streak of good promos as of late. I wonder if he got any slack for calling out the "YES!" chants.

For the record, I like the chants. I just think people are getting carried away with thinking Daniel Bryan is getting buried like some people thought Orton was in the doghouse since he lost to Kane.

[quote name='mykevermin']Nothing like thinking you have your finger right on the pulse, and discovering it's actually jammed up your quivering sphincter...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that visual.

[quote name='Purple Flames']RVD says hello![/QUOTE]

Didn't RVD and Sabu get pulled over and caught with marijuana right after he won the title? I thought that was why the title reign was cut short.

Man... watching that clip of Lesnar's first debut brought back memories. I mean... there you had a hardcore match with the likes of Spike Dudley, Maven and Al Snow, and it was still more appealing than half of what WWE is producing today.

I attended both Wrestlemania 19 and 20, and even the lower midcard matches of those two events trumped most of the matches from Sunday night.

The difference between the "Yes" and "What" chants is that the "Yes"/"No" chants are used to either approve or disapprove what's happening in the ring. It effectively offers the fans a way to communicate what they think. The "What" chant is just meant to annoy the people in the ring.

Consider the awesome Raw last night.. And go ahead and mentally compare it to next week's Raw, which will feature the new three stooges as guest hosts.

Not necessarily, the crowd could boo them unmercifully and shit on everything they do

Or every single fan shows up in 3 stooges gear and a full scale madhouse breaks out

[quote name='Scorch']Consider the awesome Raw last night.. And go ahead and mentally compare it to next week's Raw, which will feature the new three stooges as guest hosts.[/QUOTE]
:roll:The "new" Three Stooges. This is just another reboot/reimagining that further cements my statement that Hollywood is out of ideas, so they gotta go n fuck up a classic by making a modern version of it.:whistle2:#

[quote name='mykevermin']Dean Ambrose is $.[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see how WWE uses him. Moxley has been impressive.

[quote name='Golden Idol']The difference between the "Yes" and "What" chants is that the "Yes"/"No" chants are used to either approve or disapprove what's happening in the ring. It effectively offers the fans a way to communicate what they think. The "What" chant is just meant to annoy the people in the ring.[/QUOTE]

I will be an incredibly happy wrasslin fan the day the "What" chant dies. I sparingly use the word "hate"—and I hated that chant the first day and have hated it ever since. It's the second-worst anything to happen to pro wrestling, including Vince Russo. Only thing that tops it is the Invasion angle/death of WCW.

...and possibly Michael Cole.

[quote name='Golden Idol']The difference between the "Yes" and "What" chants is that the "Yes"/"No" chants are used to either approve or disapprove what's happening in the ring. It effectively offers the fans a way to communicate what they think. The "What" chant is just meant to annoy the people in the ring.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. "What?" has never done anything outside of detract from the presented product.

Regarding the Stooges, I think something not great but acceptable could have been done outside of the PG-13 age in the form of a 3 Stooges inspired hardcore match. I can't imagine anything other than groan worthy with the current iterations of both products.

Well, the Smackdown tapings featured two developmental talents getting the call up to TV. Interesting to see where they go from here with the rumored "youth movement" from FCW.

The "yes!" thing was happening during a Heat game last night. Not sure how prevalent it actually was but...still pretty funny. The question now is if it'll actually play in other towns. Hope so.

My parents must be Daniel Bryan fans because last night I kept hearing them scream "Yes Yes Yes!" from inside their bedroom

Mid 90s fans who have been out of the loop probably thought the Miami crowd was just really hot for The Zodiac.

zodiac.jpg

YES! NO! YES! NO!

A couple of people were complaining about using MGK and Flo Rida at WM28. I'm not one of them. I'll credit WWE for not being 7 years behind the pop culture curve here for a change. It's not my demographic (even if I like MGK), but this is pop culture currently. At least part of it.

We often malign WWE for getting musicians, television stars, film actors - when they rebound from the bottom of their career. It's like big star, then drug habit, then no jobs for three years, then fans no longer care, then TMZ commenters say "who?", then rehab, then a few straight to video releases, then WWE. They bucked that trend here.

It's easy to say "well, it's not fair that these guys got all that time and Bryan/Sheamus got 18 seconds." But that's not the whole story. They could have cut any amount of time from the program. It was a 4-hour show, complete with video packages, elaborate entrances, comedy bits, etc.

You know what I could have done without? Triple H's He-Man entrance. Dude came to the ring out of an inflatable castle grayskull. He's a grown man. Come on. If they had dressed up Stephanie as Cringer, maybe I'd be okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back