It's Tax Season! How much do you owe Uncle Sam? How much does he owe you?!

Law_Professor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Just filed my tax return... Getting mah biggest refund ever. (Nothing to be happy about, I would have rather had the money before instead of loaning it to the gov't.)

Anyway....

Federal:
$829

State:
$88

Gives me mah monies!

Everyone is sharing a back story so here's mine: I graduated college in 2008, so this was my first year that I was not a full-time student. I worked part-time all year and paid $944 in student loan interest. This is also the first time I could not be claimed as a dependent - that's the main reason my refund jumped by nearly 300%.

I deduct 0 exemptions on my W-4. I just got a promotion on January 4th, and I have started contributing to a state-sponsored retirement fund. As such, I'm really curious to see how that will effect my taxes next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure I'll get 600 or so federal, and probably owe WV 300 of it. Goddamn welfare junkies I support in this shit hole. They tax my dog for fucking Christ Sakes.

We'll see next week when I get my W-2 form.

Can't teach and do taxes at the same time. Taxes will wait until school goes on spring break. I usually end up getting a refund from the federal government and paying Maryland. The question is only which way will the surplus go?

[quote name='burritoman']I figure I'll get 600 or so federal, and probably owe WV 300 of it. Goddamn welfare junkies I support in this shit hole. They tax my dog for fucking Christ Sakes.

We'll see next week when I get my W-2 form.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I live in Cook County, IL and they tax me for breathing.

What is everyone using their refunds for? My plan this year is to eliminate my credit card debt and start saving for a down payment on a condo, so this will help.

I estimate I'll get between $7500 and 9000 back federal, and about $1200-1500 back state. We'll see when I get back my W2 and about 25 1099-DIV's, INT's, etc.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I estimate I'll get between $7500 and 9000 back federal, and about $1200-1500 back state. We'll see when I get back my W2 and about 25 1099-DIV's, INT's, etc.[/QUOTE]

Damn!

Still waiting for another W2. Should get a refund this year as all my consulting work had taxes taken out of it. Ended owing $500 or so last year as I had some consulting work that wasn't taxed up front.

Any refund I get will jut go into savings, making some extra payment on student loans when I get my first bill soon (just consolidated) etc.

Getting $550 this year... most likely put some toward a pre-order on FF13 and Fragile, then dump the rest into savings. Possibly put some towards a laptop, depending on how things go. (Family's money situation REALLY sucks right now, so...)

Since my family owns a business, and I'm employed part time outside it, and we have no children, and are generally productive people, I will be owing. I expect to be annually assraped to the tune of a few thousand dollars this year.

Tax refund? WTF is that? I haven't seen one of those in at least a decade.

Not sure this is the first time I have ever been unemployed for a year. I also am going to school full time so I believe I can get back all tax I paid on my unemployment.

[quote name='lilboo']
My BF bought a new car in 2009, isn't there a tax credit for that? MMMM[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, Vegas again?

[quote name='mtxbass1']I estimate I'll get between $7500 and 9000 back federal, and about $1200-1500 back state. We'll see when I get back my W2 and about 25 1099-DIV's, INT's, etc.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you've got a couple kids, house, etc?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Not sure this is the first time I have ever been unemployed for a year. I also am going to school full time so I believe I can get back all tax I paid on my unemployment.[/QUOTE]

I LOVED it when I went to school because my effective tax rate was always 0% and I got back big refunds for the education credit (2k or so).

Getting back about $500 between fed and state this year. My lowest yet, but just glad not to be owing to be honest. Tax refunds NEVER should go back to savings or paying debts or the sort... to me it's always free money and I spend it on FUN. Last year it was my recliner and regardless of my debt, I don't regret it for a second.

Funny, I worked for a CPA firm and I don't think the fuckers'll get me my W-2 till March, like last year. Probably get several hundred back, if not a thousand or two thanks to only starting my job in September yet getting taxed out of my paycheck like I worked the full year. It's all going in the bank.

[quote name='QiG']Tax refunds NEVER should go back to savings or paying debts or the sort... to me it's always free money and I spend it on FUN. Last year it was my recliner and regardless of my debt, I don't regret it for a second.[/QUOTE]
It's not free money at all. Tax refunds are interest free loans you gave the government - it was your money to begin with, and the IRS got to do whatever they wanted to with it for a year.

[quote name='QiG']
Looks like you've got a couple kids, house, etc?
[/QUOTE]

No kids, I own a house, have student loans, and I itemize everything. Note: To get back what I'm getting back, imagine what I'm paying in in the first place. It's not a pretty picture.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No kids, I own a house, have student loans, and I itemize everything. Note: To get back what I'm getting back, imagine what I'm paying in in the first place. It's not a pretty picture.[/QUOTE]

why not just prop up your exemptions for your checks? i see guys at work that pay 7 to 10 thousand a year. i claim 4 for withholdings and barely pay 3k a year. and even doing that i still will get about 1500 back. I just figure id rather have that money all through the year instead of letting the government use it for free.

[quote name='ritchardf']why not just prop up your exemptions for your checks? i see guys at work that pay 7 to 10 thousand a year. i claim 4 for withholdings and barely pay 3k a year. and even doing that i still will get about 1500 back. I just figure id rather have that money all through the year instead of letting the government use it for free.[/QUOTE]

How exactly would I prop up my exemptions when I have no dependents? I think someone is going to notice when my dependents goes from 0 to 4. No thanks.

i make around 25,000 and usally own around 1200 a year state (with no taxes taking out of my paycheck i have to pay every 3 month- 300 a month)

really i pay 0 in taxes they always tell me that 1200 is a Self-Employment Tax????

my millage takes my taxes owed to 0 every year

what is sort of werid is looked up and they said that tax is like 15%... wonder why i only pay 5%

What really sucks though is im really paying like 1500 in taxes do to all of the tax in gas...spend around 5,000 a year in gas

[quote name='mtxbass1']How exactly would I prop up my exemptions when I have no dependents? I think someone is going to notice when my dependents goes from 0 to 4. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

i really doubt anyone would notice. as long as you are claiming correctly when you do your taxes, you are not breaking the law or something. you just have to be careful to make sure you do pay enought taxes, to avoid paying when you file.

I owe $900-$950 in self-employment taxes (because of my fucking boss and his decision to have me be self-employed for my first few months).

After all is said and done I'll probably owe half that or less I believe.

[quote name='JJSP']It's not free money at all. Tax refunds are interest free loans you gave the government - it was your money to begin with, and the IRS got to do whatever they wanted to with it for a year.[/QUOTE]
This^

I never understood the celebretory nature of most people during tax season. I've always claimed myself as a dependant so as to reduce my withholding (and subsequently my "refund"). Much better to have that money in the paycheck so I can do something with it. Putting it into the most basic of savings account is better than letting the government hold it.

I think I'll be getting around $1700 or more. At least, that is what it was the last couple of years.

I probably will just put it into my savings/rainy day fund. There really isn't anything I want, and I am going to start looking for another job anyway since I am being worked like a government mule, so I need to be prepared for anything.

Wife is self-employeed, so we're getting raped on taxes every year. We're expecting to pay in more, because of the raises she gets mid-year.

Self-employement needs an overhall, it's fine for a small business, but when it's one person... she makes a little more than half of my salary, but pays almost 30% more in taxes than I do.

It's fuck-tarded.

Really though her job is all at-home internet based so we're set for a family when that time comes.

[quote name='xycury']Wife is self-employeed, so we're getting raped on taxes every year. We're expecting to pay in more, because of the raises she gets mid-year.

Self-employement needs an overhall, it's fine for a small business, but when it's one person... she makes a little more than half of my salary, but pays almost 30% more in taxes than I do.

It's fuck-tarded.

Really though her job is all at-home internet based so we're set for a family when that time comes.[/QUOTE]

I was self employed for a bit, and honestly, I did much better than when I was a corporate drone. Considering I could itemize nearly everything for a home office, along with my home itself, that helped tremendously. I agree that the taxes do suck, but half of the hypothetical self-employment tax is allowed as a deduction against self-employment income so only 92.35% of the self-employment income is taxable at 15.30%, an effective tax rate of about 14.13%, which helps...some.

[quote name='xycury']Wife is self-employeed, so we're getting raped on taxes every year. We're expecting to pay in more, because of the raises she gets mid-year.

It's fuck-tarded.

Really though her job is all at-home internet based so we're set for a family when that time comes.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how Cheapy does it? Especially since he is living in another country now. Does he pay income tax in both the US and Japan? Or just one?

Bwehh. I had to pay like $600 or something last year, as I spent a brief portion of the year technically self-employed. Was depressing when my roommate was bragging about getting $1500 back.

This year hopefully though I get some back, being employed all year and whatnot.

[quote name='Allnatural']
I never understood the celebretory nature of most people during tax season. I've always claimed myself as a dependant so as to reduce my withholding (and subsequently my "refund"). Much better to have that money in the paycheck so I can do something with it. Putting it into the most basic of savings account is better than letting the government hold it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the only reason I don't is more often than not I have a few thousand dollars of self employment income from doing some consulting work on the side, so I'd rather pay out a bit more taxes each paycheck to cut back how much I owe at tax time a bit.

didn't end up mattering this year since my consulting pay was taxed rather than treated as self employed this year.

[quote name='JJSP']It's not free money at all. Tax refunds are interest free loans you gave the government - it was your money to begin with, and the IRS got to do whatever they wanted to with it for a year.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Allnatural']This^

I never understood the celebretory nature of most people during tax season. I've always claimed myself as a dependant so as to reduce my withholding (and subsequently my "refund"). Much better to have that money in the paycheck so I can do something with it. Putting it into the most basic of savings account is better than letting the government hold it.[/QUOTE]

That's a cute little line you guys picked up on (not to mention, completely cynical). But in the interest of feeling grumpy this morning, I'm going to take a minute to expound on it. I suppose you could, in theory, sit down and calculate what your tax liability will be for the coming year. Let's say you make $10/hr at Walmart, work 40 hours a week throughout the year. You know you're going to make $20,800 this year and the tax rate is 10% on the first 8,350 and 15% on anything beyond that. Standard deduction is $5700 and personal exemption is $3650 so your tax liability is $11,450 so you crunch numbers and decide to fill out a W-4 instructing your employer to withhold $25 a week for federal income taxes for you and you have a 0 payment or 0 refund due on April 15th. Awesome.. you managed to not give the government an interest free loan for them to do what they want with throughout the year. Go you.

The truth is you don't know what's going to happen throughout the year. You might get promoted to manager at Wal-Mart netting a huge raise. You might get a nice holiday bonus for selling a ton of ammo from your checkout in the sports department. Hell, you might get fired for stealing beef jerky.. I don't know but that kind of stuff can drastically alter your expected income/tax liability and the plan to owe/not be owed anything is out the window. Who knows what will come up that you can use as a tax reduction in your return?

On the flip side you also end up being eligible for tax credits. A reduction will take your liability to zero whereas a credit can take your liability to zero and net a refund. If you, for example, decide to start a 401k mid-year, you may be eligible for a tax credit for a percentage of what you contributed. So in essence, it wasn't you giving them a loan, it was them actually giving you a credit and if all things considered your tax liability was zero beforehand, you kinda are getting something like free money. If you can accurately predict your own financial future and have advance knowledge of what tax legislation will be passed throughout the year that might result in unexpected credits, reductions or liabilities, then by all means make the calculations.. and I might ask for your number so we can be study buddies if I decide to go for a CPA.

But I'm kind of boring myself with all this tax talk. And to be honest, there's truth in what you're saying but you picked on two words I wrote in a post on a videogame message board after a night of adult beverages at 2am so I'm feeling touchy today ;) and I see phrases like this thrown around knowing full well that most of the people that repeat it don't truly understand what they're saying. No it's not free money by any means and I could have chosen better words by simply adding the word "like" to say "to me, it's like free money..." I overpaid by about $190 and received a tax credit of $162 for contributing to my 401k resulting in a fed refund of about $350. I'd have to say that I'm not going to lose very much sleep on the interest I could have gained on $350 throughout the year.

For the people who get thousands back year after year, I would definitely say it would be worthwhile to sit down and figure out how much to have withheld from paychecks throughout the year. But then again, maybe a lot of people like the idea of having more taken out weekly and getting it back when they file? I don't know.. to them it's like an unconscious, 0% interest, savings account they withdraw from when its tax time. I think enough of us have accepted that the two certain things in life (death and taxes) aren't worth fighting against and go with the flow.

I'll get off my soapbox, just again it drives me crazy to hear things like this. Another one that gets under my skin is, "I got taxed more because I worked overtime." Umm.. no, there's no special tax rate for overtime hours, the tax rate is the same and you just made more money so in effect there was more to be taxed. :bomb:

Dead of Knight - You're supposed to receive your W-2 by Jan 31st.. isn't it by law? You can call the IRS and stir the pot if you don't receive it by Feb 14th if you want. I'd imagine that a CPA firm would know better, but they also might know enough to know a loophole that allows them to be lackadaisical about it. I used to joke that one of my former employers would give them out at 11:59pm on Jan 31st if they could since it always felt like we were the last to get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Post QiG. It's important to be smart with money, but for some it's not worth putting that much thought into getting their tax witholding's right.

If you're making low income, you're talking pocket change in interest you missed out on. Factor in that most people aren't good at saving money and would just have blown it monthly instead of all at once in tax season and it's moot for many. :D

Personally, I've not worried about it much as I've never made all that much money as I was in college and then grad school up until last summer. I'll start paying more attention to it from here on out now that I'm making real money finally. This year is nothing special as I was still in grad school through summer and just started my asst. prof job in August, so I didn't worry much with it yet.

Cool thread.

Last year the wife and I got back $2300, and I was still in school and I had worked for about 6 months

This year both of us have good jobs, she got a raise, and we bought a house....hello 8k! and then some

QiG... I can't remember exactly when I got the W-2s last year. It felt like March, but it could have been February. All I know is it wasn't in January.

QiG pretty much nailed it. For me personally, I had multiple bonuses this past year that I could have never accounted for. Since they were considered bonuses, they got taxed at the highest tax rate possible. The other factor here is what someone's income is (if you're paying in $50,000 in tax, getting $10,000 back is reasonable), etc.

[quote name='Allnatural']This^

That may work well enough if you're getting huge returns every year... at my level, I'd only get another $20-25 a paycheck. I'd much rather let the government 'borrow' it, if only to learn to live on a slightly lower paycheck and get a nice big hunk back once a year that I can apply to a large purchase or what-have-you.

Not sure yet (haven't gotten my W-2 forms) but I'm not sure what to expect. I was unemployed for most of last year, but had two jobs at the end of the year since mid-november. One I lost this month, the other which I'll have until I move, probably in the spring. I'm not expecting much from the one, but the other, I should be able to claim a good bit, due to driving 75 miles a night roughly while on route.

As far as how I'll spend it, don't really know. I'll probably get some games or something at first, but then I won't be able to spend anything as I'll have to start looking for a job again in the spring (most likely), and if my unemployment lasts as long as it did last time (a few days shy of a full year)...

[quote name='kube00']Cool thread.

Last year the wife and I got back $2300, and I was still in school and I had worked for about 6 months

This year both of us have good jobs, she got a raise, and we bought a house....hello 8k! and then some[/QUOTE]

It depends on the purchase price of your home with 8K tax exemption cause if paid less than $80,000 for it you only can claim 10% of the purchase price. The flip side to that is if you paid more than $80,000 you only get to claim the 8K. Too bad the house I was trying to buy fell through cause I wouldn't have gotten that much since the price was going to be $35,000.

According to the IRS I'm getting my refund on 1/28! :bouncy:

I e-filed but did not elect to do direct deposit. I was to lazy to get my checkbook from across the room, LOL!

What is everybody using for their taxes? As in software or what?

I used turbotax online (free shit) to estimate mine and I think I'll end up getting ~$730 federal and owing $6 to the state (I moved to another state in the middle of the year so I have to do taxes in both, in VA I'm getting $160 back and in PA I owe $166).

I hate fucken tax time, I make too much but every damn year I forget to change my exemptions, so they take very little out of my paychecks each week

[quote name='SpazX']What is everybody using for their taxes? As in software or what?

[/QUOTE]

I have an accountant. It's worth the money he charges me, just because of the various things I have going on. I can write off last years tax expense for this year, so I don't mind it.

[quote name='SpazX']What is everybody using for their taxes? As in software or what?

I used turbotax online (free shit) to estimate mine and I think I'll end up getting ~$730 federal and owing $6 to the state (I moved to another state in the middle of the year so I have to do taxes in both, in VA I'm getting $160 back and in PA I owe $166).[/QUOTE]

I have used TaxACT for the past few years. They sent me a coupon code in November to pre-register for 2010 and I paid $13.95 to do both federal and state. (Includes e-filing for both).

They are, however, running a current promotion at $11.90.

You DO NOT have to be a returning customer. Just register and you'll lock in the price if you decide to file with them. You don't need any of your tax forms to register. You pay when you file, not at the time of registration.

I found this inntuitive and easy to use. So easy, in fact, that I may do my mom's returns this year (and her's are hella complicated and pays an accountant to do it every year).

Promotion link: https://www.taxactonline.com/s_onli...e_price_code=S800008&sc=07103051103&t=59777.3

[quote name='DuelLadyS']That may work well enough if you're getting huge returns every year... at my level, I'd only get another $20-25 a paycheck. I'd much rather let the government 'borrow' it, if only to learn to live on a slightly lower paycheck and get a nice big hunk back once a year that I can apply to a large purchase or what-have-you.[/QUOTE]
I built my emergency fund on $25 a paycheck.

bread's done
Back