I've been having these weird thoughts lately. GGT #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']
Unless someone wants to tell me that John Robinson is an Asian name.[/QUOTE]

It's just a romanization of Chun Reppatsuno.

[quote name='kainzero']best ddr = 3rd mix. i still wanna find an arcade version for that. screw this extreme and supernova business. 3rd mix = less neutered version of USA mix.[/QUOTE]Between all the mixes (like the Japanese one), I liked 3rd mix a lot myself, but I like 7th or 8th mix the most, partially because I played them in the arcade the most and enjoyed the music a lot. 7th mix just has one of my most favorite songs ever in DDR, "ever snow".

[quote name='zewone']I'm sure you'd just go in a wheelchair.[/QUOTE]That's pretty funny actually, never thought about that. ;)

MGS: Twin Snakes is beat. Pretty satisfying ending. Its been a long time since I've played the PS1 version, so I can't make any comparison judgements just yet, but I thought it was a great MGS game. I'll replay the PS1 version closer to when MGS4 comes out so I can play them all in sequence.

I'd forgotten about buying a copy of Breath of Fire IV a couple months ago, so I think I'm gonna move on to that one next to get it out of the way. Anyone have any idea if its a normal 40 hr. RPG?

Also, I got Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've been busy getting these computers networked, but my anticipation has jumped after reading about you guys saying how awesome it is. I'll have to dig into it later this afternoon.

I really gotta bring my 360 back upstairs so I can game. It's been in the basement with the TV from the 80s for the last 2 weeks. And the wii too, as I'll be pickin up that Smash Bros. Soon!

[quote name='Krymner']I'd forgotten about buying a copy of Breath of Fire IV a couple months ago, so I think I'm gonna move on to that one next to get it out of the way. Anyone have any idea if its a normal 40 hr. RPG?.[/QUOTE]I actually beat the game a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, although not one of my favorite RPGs (probably my favorite BoFIV). My friend who is a collector badly wants me to sell my copy to him (since it's mint), but I just can't do it.

After I beat some PS1 FF games, I moved onto Grandia, which was pretty good, a few years ago.

Finally! Classes over for the term. But I've been having to put in more overtime hours at work. Ungh.

When I do catch a break, hopefully I can set up that TF2 gaming night that I talked about in PC Gaming (most likely this Saturday around 7PMish).

Finished Lost last night, ending was typically bizzare. I'm glad it's done as it means I can get back to Enchanted Arms and Sega Rally.

Also Amazon have shipped my copy of Crisis Core, huzzah !!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I actually beat the game a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, although not one of my favorite RPGs (probably my favorite BoFIV).
[/quote]

Yeah, from what I've heard from other RPG fans, it is the "favorite" of the BoF series. I started and so far its okay. I'm not so sure if I like the controls so much, but I guess I'll get used to it. I like how they do the overworld and the random battles thing. I'm not very far yet (just got the munchkin robot thing on my party) but the story seems fair.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yes, it's very comfortable. The nice thing about raised buttons is that it becomes easier to know where you are on the pad. Sometimes when I'm on a medal or cheap pad, I end up where I shouldn't on the pad.[/QUOTE]

Ace. Now I know what I'll be asking for for my birthday. The old cheapo pad should've worn out by then.

[quote name='Chacrana']I wouldn't play with bare feet, because the material it's made of is pretty rough. On the upside, when you're wearing socks, you can grip the mat far better, and wearing socks makes you classy.[/QUOTE]

I usually play with socks on, but just wanted to be sure about the bare feet thing as well.

[quote name='Chacrana']The downside to getting a metal pad is that you gotta wear shoes, which means you've also gotta buy a pair of indoor shoes. And having multiple pairs of shoes makes you a lady. Probably a fat, ugly one.[/QUOTE]And only one or two pairs makes you a fat, ugly man, of course :razz:

Morning GGT!

Time for some breakfast then I'm breaking out the big-ole' headphones for some more Dragon Sword. Might see about beating it today.

Ya'll seen dat Playsia sale goin on? I did, and while most people ended up disappointed, I got Beatmania 13 outta it.

DONT JUST STAND DONT JUST STAND DONT JUST STAND DONT JUST STAND GO BEZERK.

[quote name='Krymner']Yeah, from what I've heard from other RPG fans, it is the "favorite" of the BoF series. I started and so far its okay. I'm not so sure if I like the controls so much, but I guess I'll get used to it. I like how they do the overworld and the random battles thing. I'm not very far yet (just got the munchkin robot thing on my party) but the story seems fair.[/QUOTE]Yeah, the controls are terrible in the game. I didn't let it hurt my experience. BoFIII is the same way, but felt a little more natural since it wasn't as 3D as the 4th.

[quote name='blueshinra']Ace. Now I know what I'll be asking for for my birthday. The old cheapo pad should've worn out by then.[/QUOTE]Well, I'd recommend most any type of Ignition pad. There are some off-brand ones which work well, and are way cheaper than the Red Octane one. Only issue with the 3.0 is sometimes, the up button will stick (happened on mine a few times, but rare. My friend it happened to all the time), but I dunno. It might have been a bad batch, I dunno. Most really like it.

Man, Ninja Gaiden is a good time. On Chapter 8.

The best part is that they took away the lion's share of the platforming. That would've ruined the game, but as it stands it's about 99% action. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be trying to maneuver without falling off a platform given the controls and perspective.

I'm kinda torn an almost all the locales being recycled from the original game. On the one hand it feels kinda lame, but on the other you get this feeling of, "Crap... I know who/what is coming..." and even then sometimes it's a surprise!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, I'd recommend most any type of Ignition pad. There are some off-brand ones which work well, and are way cheaper than the Red Octane one.[/QUOTE]The two I have are off-brand, bought off of eBay. Wore out the left arrow on the first after a few months of frequent use and am now using the second one. I've heard good things about Ignition pads, so if they're worth the money, I'd be interested in one of those.

Been browsing Play-Asia, checking out the new sale. Don't see much that I want so far.

[quote name='Chacrana']Devs have to take care of the business side of things, too, though.

I'd like to work at like... Capcom or something someday (on the biznaiss side of thangs), but they'd probably try to pay me in Mega Man sequels, which I wouldn't be too happy about.[/quote]

That made me laugh. I'd love to use this fat MBA I'm going to get on some kind of gaming industry business-side job. Problem would be getting the gf to move to California or something. Hmm.

Played some more Club last night, great stuff. I'm working through "insane" levels and there are some challenges in the bunch, but it's a pretty rewarding experience. I'd recommend it to people once the price comes down on used copies.

Also, love me some Professor Layton. Nice change of pace.

(I am not a DDR fan in any way. Abstain.)

[quote name='daroga']Man, Ninja Gaiden is a good time. On Chapter 8.

The best part is that they took away the lion's share of the platforming. That would've ruined the game, but as it stands it's about 99% action. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be trying to maneuver without falling off a platform given the controls and perspective.

I'm kinda torn an almost all the locales being recycled from the original game. On the one hand it feels kinda lame, but on the other you get this feeling of, "Crap... I know who/what is coming..." and even then sometimes it's a surprise![/QUOTE]

It's cool how it's a new perspective on each area.

I'll definitely finish normal mode today. Then on to the Way of the Kunoichi-- spoiler on how to play that mode and what it is--
beat the very first boss with Momiji in hard mode and you can play as her the whole game.

I also just realized you can revisit each stage and do a fiend challenge for one of those wooden tablets. I wonder what those do...doesn't seem like you can get all of them on one playthrough.

I might go crazy on the sale! But man I have a donkey kong of a backlog...

I always say I have plans to play xxxx game...

But I play for like 1 hour then go do something else lol.

And CRAP, they put up the MGS4 LE PS3 bundle up on Play-Asia...

$699

DAMN

I do have like 300 in credit there, but geeze, this is ridiculous!

Wow, Dragon Sword is pure awesome action. They've really outdone themselves on this. My only complaint is the replayability factor, but I have that complaint with many games of this genre, so I'm not gonna hold it against them too much.

I've put about 5 hours into BoF 4, and I've decided to keep going. So far the story isn't anything too great, and the controls and camera system get me frustrated at times, but I think there's enough substance there to keep me interested.

Got some friends coming over later today to watch some NCAA tourney games, and my girlfriend wants to show off how she's turned my swank bachelor pad into her vision of what a properly furnished apartment should look like. Damn, I really miss the old look still. At least she let me win the argument about keeping the bedroom very dark (because I work nights and sleep days). If that wasn't the case, I'm sure it would be pink and bright as hell.

Signed out Crisis Core from work. It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I don't think it's "great" but it's definitely a good game so far.

Just beat NG: DS. Yowsa, that's a quality title right there. Action packed and completely replayable. It's not many handheld games that get my heart rate up in the end game.

I'm number 883 on the leader board. I'm not really sure how people get some of the scores that they do on normal. The guy at #1 is more that twice the score of #2...

Grrr. Polyphony Digital's continued abstinence on damage modeling just peeves me off. I mean, I'd forgive them if they flat out admitted that they simply didn't know how to do it right, but you can't keep using the "manufacturer's don't want it" excuse as it doesn't fly at all.

Of course, if they ever did figure out how to do it, then GT really would be the "Ultimate Driving Simulator".

In the meantime, I guess I will need to be content with car pr0n:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32327.html

/random
/rant

[quote name='daroga']Just beat NG: DS. Yowsa, that's a quality title right there. Action packed and completely replayable. It's not many handheld games that get my heart rate up in the end game.

I'm number 883 on the leader board. I'm not really sure how people get some of the scores that they do on normal. The guy at #1 is more that twice the score of #2...[/QUOTE]

people are cheating with Pro Action Replay codes. So, knock off any crazy scores like 99,999,999.

Oh, jeez. The OXM review has me wary of Dark Sector now.

RABBLE RABBLE REVIEWS MEAN NOTHING RABBLE RABBLE.

Free portal gamerpics? Why, yes, I would like some, OXM.

[quote name='Apossum']people are cheating with Pro Action Replay codes. So, knock off any crazy scores like 99,999,999.[/quote]

That is sad. I love me some cheating on games, but not for scores and stuff that has competition online.

Atlus USA wins:
Atlus U.S.A., Inc., preferred publisher of adventuring duo Fight and Heal, today announced Etrian Odyssey™II: Heroes of Lagaard for Nintendo DS
More companies need to be humorous in PR.

Got Head Ninja in Chapter 3 of NG DS after experiencing my first death. Lots of scribbling going on now.

[quote name='pete5883']DJ MAX P is on its way to me. Looks like there's nothing else good in-stock.[/quote]

My white DS3 and slutty plastic figures would like to have a word with you!

[quote name='pete5883']DJ MAX P is on its way to me. Looks like there's nothing else good in-stock.[/QUOTE]

Puhleeze, thats beatmania was in stock and DJ Max is just a ripoff of that anyway.

Naw, DJ Max is legit. I prefer the first game to the second game, and would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes music games at all. It is better than Ouendan could ever hope to be.

[quote name='Chacrana'] It is better than Ouendan could ever hope to be.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't go crazy. I LOVE DJ Max, but I definitely like Ouendan better (especially Ouendan 2). Especially when it comes to music.

[quote name='Chacrana']It is better than Ouendan could ever hope to be.[/quote]This line is full of lie.

It also helps that I'm alright at Ouendan and suck terribly at DJMP. ;)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I wouldn't go crazy. I LOVE DJ Max, but I definitely like Ouendan better (especially Ouendan 2). Especially when it comes to music.[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten Ouendan 2 yet.

But I do know that I've put at least 50X the time into DJ Max as I have into Ouendan 1. 50+ songs > like 15 songs.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Oh, jeez. The OXM review has me wary of Dark Sector now.

RABBLE RABBLE REVIEWS MEAN NOTHING RABBLE RABBLE.

Free portal gamerpics? Why, yes, I would like some, OXM.[/QUOTE]

Well, the IGN review made me want it. I didn't even read the OXM review, I just saw the score.

Finished NG: Dragon Sword...ranked 512. Pretty lame that the whole visible scoreboard is cheaters, aside from a few towards the bottom on the Head Ninja board.

[quote name='Chacrana']I haven't gotten Ouendan 2 yet.

But I do know that I've put at least 50X the time into DJ Max as I have into Ouendan 1. 50+ songs > like 15 songs.[/QUOTE]

I think you've become too azn for Ouendan 2.

but seriously, it isn't as good as the first. The patterns are a little better, but the music and stories aren't as fun for some reason.

Would you still say Ouendan 2 is worth buying though? Even without a discount?

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Ouendan is a lesser, but still very fun music series.

[quote name='Apossum']Awesome news:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265110

I love microsoft so much.[/QUOTE]

Typical behavior, but honestly, I'd rather get retail releases than digital ones.

I'm just glad that one unnamed person said that vaguely suggested that maybe importing the games isn't the wisest choice. Implying something.

Edit: I like the part that says:

they rejected all of our proposals saying, 'We are going to cut down faithful arcade ports.'

Yeah! Down with good arcade games receiving arcade-perfect ports! We want a new Geometry Wars clone!

[quote name='Chacrana']Would you still say Ouendan 2 is worth buying though? Even without a discount?

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Ouendan is a lesser, but still very fun music series.[/QUOTE]

yikes, it's $40 at P-A right now. did they bump up the price, then discount it? I could've sworn I paid less for my copy...

I wouldn't pay $40, but it is still very fun.

Typical behavior, but honestly, I'd rather get retail releases than digital ones.

I'm just glad that one unnamed person said that vaguely suggested that maybe importing the games isn't the wisest choice. Implying something.

it just lessens the chance of getting it in the U.S., whereas an XBLA release was almost a sure thing.

Yeah! Down with good arcade games receiving arcade-perfect ports! We want a new Geometry Wars clone!

totally. all those years of buying tapper, robotron, and tmnt really paid off, eh? but now that the extensive back catalog of 80s retro classics is exhausted, they're cutting it off.

[quote name='Chacrana']Typical behavior, but honestly, I'd rather get retail releases than digital ones.

I'm just glad that one unnamed person said that vaguely suggested that maybe importing the games isn't the wisest choice. Implying something.[/quote]

Yeah, typical MS BS, but I'd also prefer to have these on disc.

Anyway, I definitely hope the "unnamed person" is right (which he generally is) about holding off the importing--I'm banking on not having to get a Jpn 360 just to play these. :)

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, typical MS BS, but I'd also prefer to have these on disc.

Anyway, I definitely hope the "unnamed person" is right (which he generally is) about holding off the importing--I'm banking on not having to get a Jpn 360 just to play these. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I will buy a Japanese 360 should the need arise, but I really, really hope it doesn't.

So let's see... what games do I really wanna get from Playsia now...

Nights, DDR Supernova JP, Beatmania 12, and... that's it other than Ouendan 2. Supernova is tempting.

Also, I want to play through MGS1 this weekend.

[quote name='Chacrana']Would you still say Ouendan 2 is worth buying though? Even without a discount?

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Ouendan is a lesser, but still very fun music series.[/QUOTE]
I love Ouendan 2 more than any person should love a game. I've played through it a countless number of times. So my answer would be yes.

Btw, is it not on sale anymore or something? My friend bought it from PA earlier today for $25.

Speaking of music games, I wonder how that Wii Parappa the Rapper marching band game will turn out.....

Will it be a half-assed gimmicky wii title or the proper and redeeming sequel to 2?

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Ouendan is a lesser, but still very fun music series.[/QUOTE]I beat Ouendan 2 last week.

it's fun jus becoz it's fun, but doesnt really add anything new that the 1st game didnt.

In the first game there is one serious song where the lover dies or something...

the 2nd game follows the same formula and has a really touching serious moment song, it's prolly something I will never forget.

but that is the only thing that truly stood out to me compared to prior experience with the first Ouendan

[quote name='leveskikesko']Speaking of music games, I wonder how that Wii Parappa the Rapper marching band game will turn out.....

Will it be a half-assed gimmicky wii title or the proper and redeeming sequel to 2?[/QUOTE]
Never was a big fan of Parappa. Definitely my least favorite music games (not counting DDR...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back