Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't posted in here in a while - but wanted to jump in and say how blown away I was with Dragon Quest Builders. Immediately preordered it after playing the demo. Aside from Minecraft and DQ proper, it also gave me hints of 3D Dot Game Heroes. Not sure why, maybe the vast green fields. Either way, day one.

Also, I see that Star Ocean I&F is dropping on Amazon. Currently, under $26. Did you guys enjoy this one? I know it got mediocre reviews.
I actually really enjoyed So5. It scratched an itch for me that Tales of Zesteria failed to.

Another unpopular opinion to add to my list:

Ni No Kuni was awful

Tales of Xillia was pretty good

Zero Time Dilemma was bad

I actually really enjoyed So5. It scratched an itch for me that Tales of Zesteria failed to.

Ni No Kuni was awful

I liked Tales of Xillia, but I could tell it wasn't their best effort. Little things, like how alternate costumes screwed up the character model interactions. It's not okay that your hands are passing through her pants, that's weird, stop it.

Ni No Kuni was awful

I loved Ni No Kuni for the first 50% or so of the game, but it got really tedious the last 40-50%.

Tales of Xillia had its ups and downs. It was nowhere near the best or the worst game I've ever played.

Haven't played Zero Time Dilemma yet. I'll snag it for $15-$20 one day.

I'm also considering buying DQ Builders day 1, cause the demo was pretty fun. Wish there was a limited edition outside of the Day 1 edition though.

Edit: Wait wait wait, the creator of Etrian Odyssey directed this game? That just sealed the deal for me.

The only good thing about Xillia was Milla's short skirt and the character that kept pointing it out. I think it was Alvin. 

Ni No Kuni was awful

I agree with those sans xillia. I really disliked zestiria. Far more than xillia. ni no kuni was so boring that I dropped it. The gameplays just not involved enough to make it worth playing to me.

xillia wise I thought the combat was good but it was so severely limited compared to most tales of games what with the low number of artes/spells. Especially on leia. Even abyss had a bigger and better artes/spell list. I liked ac allowing you to do combos like cc does but without graces stupid arte tiers. It really bothered me all the usual bells and whistles were missing as well. cameo battles, actual in game costumes (no I don't count the 2 you get for beating the game and 2 you get from a sidequest) sword dancer ect. And jesus effing christ at the arena. stupidest thing they've ever done with it.

I liked Tales of Xillia, but I could tell it wasn't their best effort. Little things, like how alternate costumes screwed up the character model interactions. It's not okay that your hands are passing through her pants, that's weird, stop it.
Especially the jude picking up alvin by his shirt scene if he's not wearing one. Though to be fair costumes have had clipping issues for a while. Vesperia had a number of them that did the same. even as far back as symphonia might of had the issue.

So does Persona 5 block you from broadcasting anything but the first 20 minutes of the game? I thought my stream was fudged because of the anime cutscenes, but everything that happened after wasn't broadcast. 

So does Persona 5 block you from broadcasting anything but the first 20 minutes of the game? I thought my stream was fudged because of the anime cutscenes, but everything that happened after wasn't broadcast.
Yeah, it's weird that the game completely blocks any broadcasting/screenshot/video recording after a point very early in the story. (20 mins like you said is about the same time it worked for me). Now whenever I load my game, the "Screenshot cannot be take here" message always displays. I'm pretty bummed out about it, but I guess it's to prevent spoilers and stuff. Maybe.

I've seen people streaming the game online elsewhere, but they are likely using their own capture cards.

The extras sound exactly like the stuff from the Vita sets. I already have sunglasses and a coin. And it's not like I can get enough coins to get everything from the machine.

I will also buy the LE of Danganronpa Reload 1+2, even though I already have the Vita versions. I don't mind re-buying the games to support the series. These 2 games were perfect and deserve all the support, not like the train wreck which was the Danganronpa 3 anime.

The extras sound exactly like the stuff from the Vita sets. I already have sunglasses and a coin. And it's not like I can get enough coins to get everything from the machine.
That's exactly what I thought too when I looked at the included stuff. So I'm going to grab the standard version too.

I'm just finishing the plat for Goodbye Despair. I'll probably end up picking up a copy for PS4 as well. I really want the LE, but it's hard to justify the extra money after the prime discount on the standard version.

A Senran Kagura shooter? It's over they've won. Call of Duty, Battlefield 1, Counter Strike, Titan Fall 2, Star Wars Battlefront, etc should just pack their bags now and (white piggu) go home.

435315_zpsq8mufwug.gif

A nice variety of veterans and newbies tho it would've been nice if some of my favorites like Sakura Ayane or Maaya Uchida had been in it this time around tho I can't complain since 2 had my top seiyuu Ai Kayano along with others such as Kana Hanazawa and Suzuko Mimori.

Danganronpa on the PS4? Yep, I'm in. I'll probably get the standard version. Collectors editions just don't have quite the same draw these days. But I loved and played through both games on the Vita. I wouldn't mind going for a second playthrough on the PS4. I'm hoping that they integrate Dualshock 4 aiming into the gameplay. I've used the accelerometer to do basic typing, and in a few games. For the "pointing" mechanics in Danganronpa's trial section, I think that hardware feature on the PS4 would be really sweet, and very appropriate.

Ni No Kuni was awful

Naw, you like what you like.

I put about 30 hours into SO4 and Ni No Kuni before getting distracted on other games.

Liked the combat system in Xillia 1 + 2. Finished Xillia, am 45 hours into Xillia 2. Any game that holds my attention for 30+ hours was a worthwhile purchase.

Already owned the collector's editions of Danganronpa 1 and 2 on the Vita, so I may just opt for the standard this time around.

I already own the Vita versions and prefer reading VNs on the Vita anyways, so I'm going to pass myself.

But I might get the game for  a birthday present to one of my friends. 

Yeah, it's weird that the game completely blocks any broadcasting/screenshot/video recording after a point very early in the story. (20 mins like you said is about the same time it worked for me). Now whenever I load my game, the "Screenshot cannot be take here" message always displays. I'm pretty bummed out about it, but I guess it's to prevent spoilers and stuff. Maybe.

I've seen people streaming the game online elsewhere, but they are likely using their own capture cards.
I've got a Live Gamer Portable from a couple of Black Fridays ago, so I could do that, but it's still disappointing.

Forgot to mention/add a link to my weekly free PSN DLC post for this months PS+ games. So here it is.

There's also a "Fellow Humans" sale on Steam as well. Though there are only a couple Japanese games listed and aren't at great discounts. May as well mention that while I'm at it too.

There's two listings for World of Final Fantasy on Best Buy, with different SKUs. Anyone know if there's a difference?
One is the day one edition and one is the limited edition. The LE comes with a 24 page artbook. Both come with the same dlc. Since they are the same price I opted for the LE. I'm hoping it is one of those digibooks like SE has done in the past, but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

I haven't played the second Danganronpa game yet, so I'll probably pick up the PS4 version, but has there been any word on whether or not the OST is new or if it's just a repeat from the previous two LEs?

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash Gets Its First Screenshots
Gundam Versus English version coming to Asia

Fate/Extella Gets PS4 And PS Vita Themes Exclusively For PlayStation Plus In Japan

Bloodstained to be published by 505 Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faV-ls5hLSc

Idea Factory International Details Character Uzume From Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls

Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3 Turns Up the Heat With New Skimpy Bikinis and Lingerie Shown on Famitsu

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star Gets Limited Edition and New Trailer

xkugrp.jpg

XSEED revealed that Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star will be receiving a limited edition when it releases in early 2017 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.

The “Noble Phantasm Edition” comes with:
  • 7.5 inch by 6.3 inch hardcover art book featuring over 100 pages of high-quality artwork from Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star
  • Pack of sixteen collectible 3” by 5” cards depicting each of the game’s Servants
  • 24 inch by 17 inch cloth poster
  • custom box.
  • This collector’s box with retail for $69.99 and will be available for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita version.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star Gets Limited Edition and New Trailer

xkugrp.jpg

XSEED revealed that Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star will be receiving a limited edition when it releases in early 2017 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.

The “Noble Phantasm Edition” comes with:
  • 7.5 inch by 6.3 inch hardcover art book featuring over 100 pages of high-quality artwork from Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star
  • Pack of sixteen collectible 3” by 5” cards depicting each of the game’s Servants
  • 24 inch by 17 inch cloth poster
  • custom box.
  • This collector’s box with retail for $69.99 and will be available for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita version.
Did this get delayed? Amazon still has the game listed for November 15.

bread's done
Back