Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ho-hum... So a day after the XSeed Tweet, Trails in the Sky is on sale everywhere basically. Looks like it lasts up to a week on PSN at least. No idea about Steam/GOG, but it's at least 48 hours on Steam. Oh and NIS EU Store is apparently now selling TitS FC on its storefront.

Trails in the Sky FC ($10 @ 50% Off - Lowest its been multiple times)

Steam

GOG

PSN

Trails in the Sky SC ($21 @ 30% Off - Lowest its been so far)

Steam

GOG

PSN

Trails of Cold Steel's price hasn't changed. I still highly recommend Trails in the Sky for those on the fence that haven't played it yet.

EDIT: It looks like Trails in the Sky: The 3rd will only release on PC and it will come out in 2017. The three games together have also sold a total of 350k copies. Not too surprising I suppose, but glad it hit their benchmark to allow for more from the series. It's also apparently the 5th anniversary from the first english Trails game release as well.
Both are lowest they have been...hmmm....So in order to play Cold Steel, it is best that I play both of them or could I skip one?

Both are lowest they have been...hmmm....So in order to play Cold Steel, it is best that I play both of them or could I skip one?
It basically goes like this in order of time reference. Games included in an arc make a fully complete story:

Liberl Arc:

- Trails in the Sky FC -> SC

Standalone (Takes place in Liberl):

Trails in the Sky the 3rd (2017 localization)

Crossbell Arc:

Zero no Kiseki -> Ao no Kiseki (Not localized)

Erebonia Arc:

Trails of Cold Steel 1 -> 2 (Fall 2016 localization)

You can play any of them independently (Cold Steel vs TitS, but not TitS SC before TitS FC) of one another, however later games in the series may spoil previous arcs a bit here and there. Without delving into it, you'll know who some characters are in Trails in the Sky which aren't fully revealed until later into its sequel, SC among other more minor things if you play Cold Steel first. Also, the previous games do a fair amount of world/lore building that you won't necessarily understand in the later ones (Cold Steel 1 specifically as 2 may actually cover some of these things. I don't know for certain). There is some crossover between Zero/Ao with Cold Steel 1, but seeing as we don't have any word on localization and there is no complete fan translation yet I wouldn't worry much about it.

The only one in a unique position is Trails in the Sky: the 3rd. It's a standalone title with its own main characters, one of which you meet in Trails in the Sky SC. That is the game that sets the lore up for the rest of the series and a fair amount of people seem to consider it one of the better titles. Along with Zero/Ao that we don't have (yet). Even if you don't play TitS: the 3rd before Cold Steel, it should be fine. I think a lot of stuff we've been seeing thus far in the games will make more sense after we finally get that game. I can't say for certain as I've let the Japanese version sit on my shelf for almost 7 years now, which the English localization was announced a few months after I received the game.

It's a little confusing I'm sure. I personally prefer Trails in the Sky to Cold Steel, but Cold Steel has the undeniably better battle system which makes sense since it was created later. The changes in the battle system are also all tied to lore as well and it's kinda neat how they've incorporated that.

EDIT: There's also a Cold Steel 3, but it's not even out in Japan yet. I don't really know where it stand in reference to everything else. Since it isn't named like TitS: the 3rd, I'm guessing it's tied into the previous two games by at the very least the main characters.

I completely agree. Even when they where doing things right(which was a very long time ago), I think they where just winning by default, and not so much of their own making, but due to others doing poorly(or a lack of competition in general).

I've always said the Wii was their biggest blessing, and their greatest curse. Technically if the Wii had bombed like the U is doing now, it would have made them take a hard look at what they where doing, and I think they would have been the better for it.

Sadly, with the Wii being the HUGE success it was, it made them think they knew more than they did, and rewarded them for making one of their lamest consoles in history. Now they made boat loads of money which was great, as they are in business for that reason, but it allowed them to continue doing dumb shit longer than they should have been able to.

So instead of them saying, "we need to get rid of this gimmick crap, and get back to basic and making great games", they decided to go down the same road to try and strike the same miracle twice, and they failed miserably.

So while I was glad to see the Wii U fail as well, as I would love to see these clowns actually make proper improvements based on such failures, they seem destined to keep doing the same stuff over and over again.
And yet I would still be willing to declare the WiiU the greatest console ever if all they did was release a Super Gameboy style add-on that lets me hook DS games up to the big screen.

MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies Launches April 26 in North America, April 29 in Europe
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/megatagmension-blanc-neptune-vs-zombies-launches-april-26-north-america-april-29-europe

MegaTagmension-Blanc-Plus-Neptune-VS-Zombies_2016_03-11-16_009.png

Some info about TitS: the 3rd for those who care:

- English dub only, but it'll be like Trails in the Sky FC/SC. There isn't much voicework in the game, but I'm sure someone will mod the Japanese voices in at some point anyways.

- It will be the full uncensored version that the PC version had, which the PSP version did not. (Supposedly removed to keep the game rating CERO B on the PSP as it contains 'disturbing imagery')

- Sara will attempt to backport any PSP only features like she did with the previous two Trails in the Sky games.

Source: http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28074&st=350#entry915547

Some info about TitS: the 3rd for those who care:

- English dub only, but it'll be like Trails in the Sky FC/SC. There isn't much voicework in the game, but I'm sure someone will mod the Japanese voices in at some point anyways.
- It will be the full uncensored version that the PC version had, which the PSP version did not. (Supposedly removed to keep the game rating CERO B on the PSP as it contains 'disturbing imagery')
- Sara will attempt to backport any PSP only features like she did with the previous two Trails in the Sky games.

Source: http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28074&st=350#entry915547
Not being on a portable kills any interest I have. I can understand their reasons behind not releasing a PSP game in 2017, but I have zero interest in playing it on PC.

Not being on a portable kills any interest I have. I can understand their reasons behind not releasing a PSP game in 2017, but I have zero interest in playing it on PC.
As you're one of the threads most vocal Vita advocates, this does not surprise me. Besides, you haven't even beaten the first game yet.

Though I do wonder what stopped them from being able to release it here digitally on the PSP. I'd wager part of it probably had to do with the PSP store shutdown and Sony probably won't allow new PSP titles to be listed. The other versions probably cost too much money for XSeed to localize based on their numbers for Cold Steel and TitS SC sales. Though the Vita (Evolution) version more specifically is because of licensing issues since it has two extra companies tacked into the equation.

At least the game will run on a potato for those willing to play it on the PC. Well, barring any compatibility issues.

EDIT: You always have this option. :whistle2:

As you're one of the threads most vocal Vita advocates, this does not surprise me. Besides, you haven't even beaten the first game yet.

Though I do wonder what stopped them from being able to release it here digitally on the PSP. I'd wager part of it probably had to do with the PSP store shutdown and Sony probably won't allow new PSP titles to be listed. The other versions probably cost too much money for XSeed to localize based on their numbers for Cold Steel and TitS SC sales. Though the Vita (Evolution) version more specifically is because of licensing issues since it has two extra companies tacked into the equation.

At least the game will run on a potato for those willing to play it on the PC. Well, barring any compatibility issues.

EDIT: You always have this option. :whistle2:
The important thing is I gave them my money because I can lie to myself and say I'll play it in the near future and believe it. I couldn't lie about that with the PC version. It's just too outrageous of a lie and I'd know I'm lying.

If they rename that to the Vita 2 I'll consider it.

Geez, too many font tags in the wiki broke it. Threw it in Notepad and deleted 510 tags for it and then manually added one for the entire wiki. Can only hope that fixes it more long term. Such a pain to edit when it has all these little issues.

The important thing is I gave them my money because I can lie to myself and say I'll play it in the near future and believe it. I couldn't lie about that with the PC version. It's just too outrageous of a lie and I'd know I'm lying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFqaTgjBbE

Question:

I bought Trails SC today when it was on sale, and on the PS Store site, it says playable on: PS3, Vita, PSP.

How do you play it on PS3?

Question:

I bought Trails SC today when it was on sale, and on the PS Store site, it says playable on: PS3, Vita, PSP.

On the store page, it's listed as PS Vita & PSP only a little bit below the price point and Add to Cart (or download if bought) button. It's only playable on those two. I'm not sure how it looks if you're viewing it from the console storefront itself.

When you're at the receipt page on the web storefront or download list (web or PS3), it allows you to select PS3 as a download location and you can use that as an intermediary to download it and then transfer it to the PSP or Vita by connecting them to the PS3.

It's also PSTV compatible.

Question:

I would assume with a controller. ;D

In all seriousness though, it's probably just a download option as the PS3 version is Japan only, so as far as I know it doesn't exist in NA form.

I emailed Playasia about the DoAX3 release date last week, and they said they had to wait for a response from their stock thingie, and to keep an eye on the site. The site updated with March 24th, so I'm guessing that's the final release date.

Still haven't pre-ordered Trillion.

Ended up purchasing a ton of import Vita games instead that night, and forgot Trillion LE was even a thing. ~_~

Visual Novel Bar Oasis Temporarily Free To Celebrate Imminent Sequel

Bar Oasis 2: Aftertaste, the sequel to Korean visual novel/cocktail making game Bar Oasis, is releasing in English on iOS on March 24. Developer Corners Studio has temporarily made the first game free to download for players who wish to see what the series is about.

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary Delayed Over a Month on PC

Sadly, however, NIS America has today announced that the game has been delayed until April 25. The reasoning behind the delay is to give the team more time for testing and to smooth out rough patches. Check out the updated Steam trailer.

And yet I would still be willing to declare the WiiU the greatest console ever if all they did was release a Super Gameboy style add-on that lets me hook DS games up to the big screen.
I'd love to have something like that and have hoped to see a peripheral like that since the WiiU was announced. Seeing DS games on the eshop means that likely won't happen, but a man can dream.

New Teaser Website for New Fate/ Game Opens with Count-Down

Checking the source code of the site, a quite recognizable logo appears. This logo unmistakably binds the teaser website to the “Fate/” series by Type-Moon, started with Fate/stay night in 2004, and followed by quite a few popular games and even anime and manga series. 

From Doodles to the Hunt: Making Monster Hunter Generations’ Flagship Monsters

A small collection of doodles in the Monster Hunter Generations Concept Art Book distributed at Monster Hunter Festa 16 offers a bit of insight to the process.

Final Fantasy XV Gets New Screenshots, Amazing Artwork and…Street Signs From Fan Meeting in Tokyo

Square Enix held today a Final Fantasy XV fan meeting event at its headquarters in Shinjuku, Tokyo, and quite a few interesting pictures and snippets of information have filtered online via social media.

New Teaser Website for New Fate/ Game Opens with Count-Down
Checking the source code of the site, a quite recognizable logo appears. This logo unmistakably binds the teaser website to the “Fate/” series by Type-Moon, started with Fate/stay night in 2004, and followed by quite a few popular games and even anime and manga series.

From Doodles to the Hunt: Making Monster Hunter Generations’ Flagship Monsters
A small collection of doodles in the Monster Hunter Generations Concept Art Book distributed at Monster Hunter Festa 16 offers a bit of insight to the process.
Wonder if we'll ever see another Fate/ game localized again.

Final Fantasy XV Rumored to Launch September 30
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/rumor-final-fantasy-xv-launches-september-30

Visual Novel Nostalgia: Two Worlds One Soul’s Kickstarter Announces PS Vita Version
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/12/visual-novel-nostalgia-two-worlds-one-souls-kickstarter-announces-ps-vita-version/

Full Patch Notes for Metal Gear Online Version 1.10 Revealed, Releasing with Cloaked in Silence
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/12/full-patch-notes-for-metal-gear-online-version-1-10-revealed-releasing-with-cloaked-in-silence/ 

Japanese Indie Developer Festival BitSummit Set for July
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/03/12/japanese-indie-developer-festival-bitsummit-set-for-july/197480/

Mega Man Battle Network 6 Cybeast Falzar and Gregar Now Available on Wii U Virtual Console
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/12/mega-man-battle-network-6-cybeast-falzar-and-gregar-now-available-on-wii-u-virtual-console/

Four Minutes of Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition ‘Ako and Lucian’ Gameplay
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/four-minutes-dengeki-buko-fighting-climax-ignition-ako-lucian-gameplay

Get Close To Your Enemies To Really Hurt Them In Shmup An Oath To The Stars
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/12/get-close-enemies-really-hurt-shmup-oath-stars/

Saw these on the front page:

Nitroplus Blasterz PS4 ~ $27

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B014YE12CM/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Tales of Zestria PS4 ~ $29 PS3 ~ $24

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00X8WTMKQ/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 also seems to have dropped to $49.99 everywhere, even Gamestop

http://www.amazon.com/Naruto-Shippuden-Ultimate-Ninja-Storm-PlayStation/dp/B00RHI62OG/ref=pd_sim_63_25?ie=UTF8&dpID=61S-b8zglDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR128%2C160_&refRID=04TEZP41CS2Z18F32T6X

Not really a deal but Street Fighter V is ~ $53 (more of a weird price point so expect a gradual decrease in price)

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-PlayStation-Standard-Edition-4/dp/B00QXJFE08/ref=pd_sim_63_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51KWY-m8-CL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR143%2C160_&refRID=1ZHFPR2WKV80T2YEK2ZE

Megadimension Neptunia VII ~ $54 ($5 discount?)

http://www.amazon.com/Megadimension-Neptunia-VII-PlayStation-4/dp/B015Z31TVA/ref=pd_sim_63_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=61tXfBD-7vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR128%2C160_&refRID=1ZHFPR2WKV80T2YEK2ZE

Assassin's Creed Unity LE PS4 ~ $12 (Idk, take it as you will, didn't know where else to put this)

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Unity-Limited-Edition-PlayStation/dp/B00J48MUS4/ref=pd_sim_63_28?ie=UTF8&dpID=61ODjX7wNeL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR125%2C160_&refRID=1ZHFPR2WKV80T2YEK2ZE

As a day-one adopter of Nitroplus, I think it's a great fighting game if you are into traditional anime fighters (GG, BB, P4A, Arcana Heart, Aquapazza.) There's also a sorta Film-Noire/H.P. Loveheart story going on, so that's kinda cool too.

It's also got Super Sonico as a character twice in it's roster, so you know it'll be good.

Edit:

2149e847071607f2668ef3323846b156c2fd4b8e_hq.gif

Sorry couldn't resist, I have the Squarehard syndrome.

Saw these on the front page:

Nitroplus Blasterz PS4 ~ $27
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B014YE12CM/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Tales of Zestria PS4 ~ $29 PS3 ~ $24
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00X8WTMKQ/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

As a day-one adopter of Nitroplus, I think it's a great fighting game if you are into traditional anime fighters (GG, BB, P4A, Arcana Heart, Aquapazza.) There's also a sorta Film-Noire/H.P. Loveheart story going on, so that's kinda cool too.

It's also got Super Sonico as a character twice in it's roster, so you know it'll be good.

Edit:
2149e847071607f2668ef3323846b156c2fd4b8e_hq.gif

Sorry couldn't resist, I have the Squarehard syndrome.
That sure appeared on the front page fast. Don't worry, you got no credit for it.

Anyone who got Senran Kagura Estival on Amazon have a delivery date yet?

I ordered mine the day it went up and still nada.
Check your shipping. I noticed it and a couple of other games didn't have one, and it turns out they were shipping standard instead of two day. When I changed them it went to release day delivery. I have no idea how it happened because normally all my orders are default two day when I make them.

I'm tired of reading about Kickstarter updates every day on sites I frequent.  It's anti-news.  It's annoying advertising spam and the people that champion it are obnoxious shills.  If people care about the KS then they are already following it.  Kickstarter needs to go away. 

Also if it takes three tweets to say it, then it doesn't fuck ing belong on Twitter.  /oldmanout

bread's done
Back