Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they'd never do that.

maxresdefault.jpg
To be fair, that was kind of a hilarious reference in retrospect. At the time, it just felt like they were shitting on our hearts though

I didn't think Duke Nukem Forever was a trainwreck....played alright and was likely worth whatever i paid for the combo with it on amazon with some other games. I kind of had fun. It was very average though but controlled OK, and gave me a few chuckles and cringes. Course it's development time was bad, but eh I've played way worse games. It's better than a lot of average FPS.
I never understood all the rabid hate for Duke Nukem Forever. Sure, it was far from a masterpiece, but it felt like a genuine Duke Nukem game and had the series' trademark brand of toilet humor. Certainly worth $10-$15.

Why Capcom, why? We didn't do anything to hurt you, yet you keep hurting us :(

This shit somehow looks worse than the 90's cartoon. Hell it looks worse than Beck's design from Mighty 9
Always found the '90s animated Mega Man to be the most interesting incarnation of the character. NT Warrior, on the other hand, was pretty terrible.

I never understood all the rabid hate for Duke Nukem Forever. Sure, it was far from a masterpiece, but it felt like a genuine Duke Nukem game and had the series' trademark brand of toilet humor. Certainly worth $10-$15.
It did feel like a genuine Duke game... in parts. There was too much filler and repetition. The shrinking and driving a remote control car was funny and novel the first time, not so much the fifth and the sixth. I would have preferred a 3 hour campaign more polished and filled with things more akin to the opening scene and the strip club scene.

It's on the front page as well but Best Buy has the KoF XIV Premium Edition listed for the same price as the normal edition. Nice deal and almost definitely a pricing error that won't last forever.

Edit: Add Best Buy link from mobile

Edit 2:
Looks like they replaced the standard edition on their site with the premium edition. My old order for the standard edition also now says its for the premium edition. Not sure how they might handle this when they update the price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-premium-edition-playstation-4/5260100.p?id=bb5260100&skuId=5260100&cmp=RMX

Nice I love soundtracks so I need that edition was already ordering KOF XIV from BB.

Also Root Letter looks interesting I can't wait for that. I thought it would be a romance thing at first, but it is looking interesting.

Dragon Quest Builders looks pretty interesting....too many games this year....more like every year haha.
My seven-year-old loves the Japanese demo. He cheered when my wife told him it was finally coming to the US.

Edit: The demo is also available on the Asia/Hong Kong store for those who set up a login when they bought DOAX3.

I can't wait for DQ builders.  I thought this was going to be one we would never see localized.  I loved the demo, but I know zero japanese so it was a little clunky for me.  Complete day one for me.  I would have bought it on ps4 and psv if they were both retail.

It's on the front page as well but Best Buy has the KoF XIV Premium Edition listed for the same price as the normal edition. Nice deal and almost definitely a pricing error that won't last forever.

Edit: Add Best Buy link from mobile

Edit 2:
Looks like they replaced the standard edition on their site with the premium edition. My old order for the standard edition also now says its for the premium edition. Not sure how they might handle this when they update the price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-premium-edition-playstation-4/5260100.p?id=bb5260100&skuId=5260100&cmp=RMX
if the sku doesnt match the premium edition, you wont get the premium edition. similar thing happened with persona q where they had the standard edition sku and price but the listing showed the wild card edition.

Retailer exclusive bullshit along with the $50 price tag? Pass, fuck that
retailer exclusive dlc is good man, it covers the cost of the atlus tax.

So damn hype for this game. Was hoping they did an Untold 3 as well, Etrian Odyssey 3 was one of my favorites in the series
with 1,2,4, and 5 being on the 3ds, it would be pretty disappointing if 3 didnt also make the transition. I heard the sales for 2 were bad though. Why wont they understand the atlus tax isnt helping?!

with 1,2,4, and 5 being on the 3ds, it would be pretty disappointing if 3 didnt also make the transition. I heard the sales for 2 were bad though. Why wont they understand the atlus tax isnt helping?!
not like the heavy enhanced porting/remakes are helping the situation. When you have yearly releases wtf were you expecting?

if the sku doesnt match the premium edition, you wont get the premium edition. similar thing happened with persona q where they had the standard edition sku and price but the listing showed the wild card edition.
True but many people got them to adjust the order in someway. They gave me a $30 giftcard to use towards the Wild Card edition which actually made it cheaper after GCU.

retailer exclusive dlc is good man, it covers the cost of the atlus tax.
Yeah, I sure loved the coat with the Amazon logo blasted all over it in SMT IV.

Best way to avoid the Atlus tax is to not buy it until a few months down the road when it tanks like every other fucking game they put out. Only thing I'll buy from them day one is P5, and that's because I'll be a worthless fanboy when that does come out.

Yeah, I sure loved the coat with the Amazon logo blasted all over it in SMT IV.

Best way to avoid the Atlus tax is to not buy it until a few months down the road when it tanks like every other fucking game they put out. Only thing I'll buy from them day one is P5, and that's because I'll be a worthless fanboy when that does come out.
You may love it, but people on ebay love it even more ;)

Seriously why do people care, preorder dlc is never anything important anyway.

You do that, I'll buy day 1.

Yomawari: Night Alone / htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary  Limited editions:

NISA STORE (Vita) $59.99

http://store.nisamerica.com/yomawari-night-alone-firefly-diary-ps-vita

NISA STORE (Steam) $59.99

http://store.nisamerica.com/yomawari-night-alone-firefly-diary-spooky-limited-edition-steam

AMAZON (Vita) $49.99

http://www.amazon.com/Yomawari-Night-Alone-Firefly-PlayStation-Limited/dp/B01FWKKVTM

Limited Edition Includes:

• Yomawari: Night Alone/htoL# NiQ: The Firefly Diary for PS Vita
• Full-color, softcover art books for Yomawari: Night Alone and htoL# NiQ: The Firefly Diary
• Original soundtrack with jewel case (tracks from htoL# NiQ: The Firefly Diary and Yomawari: Night Alone)
• Collector's box (Includes all the above)
• Heat changing tumbler (NISA Online Store Exclusive)

ymw-3d-nisaexclusive.jpg

not like the heavy enhanced porting/remakes are helping the situation. When you have yearly releases wtf were you expecting?
It's not the Atlus tax that caused it. The Untold versions are crap for the fans of the main series, and non-fans aren't exactly any more attracted to Untold versions. So fans who played Untold hated it, and didn't play Untold 2. I skipped Untold and played Untold 2, and won't touch Untold 3. Look at the reviews for Untold 1&2 in Japan. It's pretty bad cause the games lost their appeal, took away from development of the main series, and had some terrible stories.

It's not the Atlus tax that caused it. The Untold versions are crap for the fans of the main series, and non-fans aren't exactly any more attracted to Untold versions. So fans who played Untold hated it, and didn't play Untold 2. I skipped Untold and played Untold 2, and won't touch Untold 3. Look at the reviews for Untold 1&2 in Japan. It's pretty bad cause the games lost their appeal, took away from development of the main series, and had some terrible stories.
Famitsu rated both Untold 1&2 as 36/40 (90% for those of you who are poor at math)... a score which the mainline games failed to surpass even once. Even the Amazon.jp reviews for Untold 1 are rated as 4/5. Also, if you look closer at Untold 2's lower Amazon review scores, it seems that that the majority of the disappointment was directed to issues regarding DLC.

Seriously why do people care, preorder dlc is never anything important anyway.

You do that, I'll buy day 1.
I care because it's absolute bullshit that they charge more for their games for no extra content. It's like they're doing us some grand favor in releasing these games. There is zero reason to buy anything they put out day 1 unless you're dying to play it. That of course will only be the case for P5 these days.

I"m not dropping $50 for a god damn 3DS game that'll be $20 or less in a few months. But hey, you made $10 on ebay for selling a gamestop code. Totally worth it.

The outfit is fugly anyways. This is why atlas is pulling this, their fans (persona avatar) just take it up the butt.
Exactly. They're shameless with this. At least Xseed give us dual audio for their releases. I have no idea how they get away with it.

I think the main offense preorder dlc does is that you have at times numerous places that offer different preorder incentives exclusive to them.  I agree though that the preorder dlc is not usually important.

I think the main offense preorder dlc does is that you have at times numerous places that offer different preorder incentives exclusive to them. I agree though that the preorder dlc is not usually important.
It sucks when the DLC is actually "exclusive" like forever. I remember Ni No Kuni had the Steelbook at Gamestop, Griffy at Amazon, Flutterby at Best Buy, and the Limited/Collectors Edition with more exclusive stuff directly from the retailer.

Thats the only time that pre-order DLC actually pisses me off.

Are there going to be any extra physical items included with this release to justify the extra $10? Like a soundtrack sampler or mini artbook? Or is this just Atlus taking advantage of a well established fanbase?

Actually nevermind, just noticed the launch edition includes a metal emblem set and it appears to be available at all retailers.

I care because it's absolute bullshit that they charge more for their games for no extra content. It's like they're doing us some grand favor in releasing these games. There is zero reason to buy anything they put out day 1 unless you're dying to play it. That of course will only be the case for P5 these days.

I"m not dropping $50 for a god damn 3DS game that'll be $20 or less in a few months. But hey, you made $10 on ebay for selling a gamestop code. Totally worth it.

Exactly. They're shameless with this. At least Xseed give us dual audio for their releases. I have no idea how they get away with it.
Hey we were talking about preorder dlc dont go mixing up topics. My statement clearly goes 'why do people care about preorder dlc'

Ok man. You do what you do and I will do what I do. I will support games that I know I will love, them getting cheaper doesn't affect me, all damn games get cheaper.

Just random thoughts about game I was playing:

I finished My Girlfriend is the President fan disk. Wow that was pretty non necessary, short and frankly not that good. It was entertaining enough, but really wasn't necessary. I also finished the last route I needed in the original game. That game was likely about a 6/10 though was decent. I think the worst route for the fan disk was the Irina/childhood friend one. Half the time there was terrible political talk, usually about what was shown on TV. Was boring to say the least. I also didn't like how your other friend (I forget her name but she was a secretary in the first...with the yellow shirt) didn't have a route in the fan disk. But considering it was about 2 hours of total time, they couldn't fit her in I guess.

Makes a bit worried about the Princess Evangile fandisk. I hope that has a decent amount of content, as I quite liked the original game, and some of the new routes in that one seemed like they should have been in the original, such as the blonde haired friend who seems to like you but was never given a route in the original.

bread's done
Back