Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get that impression that people are acting like the anime doesn't exist?

This is still the games thread right? Just because there is an anime of it, doesn't mean people are forced to have to bring it into the conversation when they talk about the game. They can bring it up if they want to, but they don't have to just because it exists.

Not exactly sure from whom, and where you are getting the impression that people are ignoring the fact the anime exists.

Might be a little too melodramatic over the absence of the anime being mentioned.
Because people aren't playing the game because of time constraints or massive backlogs. The anime is a good alternative, which eschews their need to play the game. And then they can enjoy steins;gate 0 which is coming out soon.

Because people aren't playing the game because of time constraints or massive backlogs. The anime is a good alternative, which eschews their need to play the game. And then they can enjoy steins;gate 0 which is coming out soon.
I did this for Danganronpa.. Watched the anime and then never bothered with the game. /shame

Steins;Gate I played the game first.

Is steins gate depressing? I haven't watched it cuz I know it's not gonna end well.
Ever watch The Butterfly Effect, starring Ashton Kutcher? Stumbled upon that movie a little while after watching Steins;Gate and was surprised by the similarities. Its not extremely depressing or anything, and there are a lot of fun moments, but towards the end it gets kinda dark just like in that movie. Playing though the game now though, some of the dialogue has me believing it's gonna be a lot darker than the anime.

I actually switched it up a bit. Actually opened a video game, Steins Gate for Vita, and have the Blu-Ray sitting on my shelf, unopened. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Not sure if any fuck 's are given but Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (English Subtitles) dropped today for $59.99 plus shipping on Play Asia. Looks pretty fun, like Shining Force with cute robots and a charmingly cringy localization.

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-og-the-moon-dwellers-english/13/709tgp
That looks awesome but my funds are tied. If it goes on sale for say $40ish I will get it, so if it goes on sale please post here someone. It does look fun, but lots and lots of likely hksubs.....I'll wait but I want to play this!

That looks awesome but my funds are tied. If it goes on sale for say $40ish I will get it, so if it goes on sale please post here someone. It does look fun, but lots and lots of likely hksubs.....I'll wait but I want to play this!
I'm gonna be picking it up very soon, maybe even tonight once I check if there's anything else I want. My thoughts are, this might see some incremental price increases, like $5 or so depending on how big the English subtitle print run was. But then you have Gundam Breaker 3 for PS4 that has been decreasing in price and even had a sale a couple weeks ago, so yeah! Roll of the dice I guess.

Play-Asia had a listing for the collector's edition in English, but I don't think it was ever able to be ordered right?
It went up twice i think. Once a few days ago and they only had like 100 or 200 copies and it went super fast, then I think just in the past night or so for a short bit.

I wanted it but just couldnt justify the insane price for what little you got. Just the game alone is making me happy enough, for the price they wanted I could buy a couple nice model kits of the games mechs and still come out cheaper.

I liked the manga better than the anime.  It showed alot of scenes the anime skips out on like the girl with the pig tails.

For the digital release, isn't it pretty much putting it up? I don't think the domestic digital release of that Vita Gundam game fixed any subs or anything did it?
There's licensing involved, and that's probably enough to kill it given how little they would probably sell over here.

I preordered my copy of OG a few weeks ago, then decided to add Gundam Breaker 3 to the order a week or two ago. So I'm ready to get my mech on. ;)

For the digital release, isn't it pretty much putting it up? I don't think the domestic digital release of that Vita Gundam game fixed any subs or anything did it?
Licensing and censorship. SRW series got that thing where the girls shake their tits during their mechs big attacks, will be a lot of stuff to censor.

Licensing and censorship. SRW series got that thing where the girls shake their tits during their mechs big attacks, will be a lot of stuff to censor.
The OG series doesn't have licensing issues, as all mechs are original Banpresto designs. The bouncy stuff is really mild, especially compared to stuff like Senran Kagura. The main issue with SRW OG is the lack of interest, though it's fair to think that a digital release of the Asian version seems cheap enough that it may make sense to do (this may not actually be the case - I don't work in the industry).

So like Gundam Breaker, they're really not going to just repackage SRW for the English market, even digitally?
The translation is pretty subpar.
1470506768734.png

Not thrilled that PA dropped the price of SRW by $10 within a day of it releasing and being shipped out.
The price changed? Its been 59.99 for the longest I thought. I remember some people paying like 70$+ like a month ago or so, but I think they were able to get it adjusted

Also as far as the translation goes, its better than nothing. I'll just have to brush up on my engrish. Just hate you can't stream it apparently, had a couple friends who really wanted to see it.

I better get used to this. I've got P5 coming in September, and I'm playing through that thing with my controller in one hand and Google Translate on my phone.
Also ordered P5, got the HK one with Chinese subtitle, will be relying on google translation and my expertise through years of eating at Chinese Restaurant. O:)

I'm importing that Super Robot Wars OG from Heavyarm.  Trying to see if there's anything else cool to buy and combine shipping.  Any other recommendations for good recent English-Asian Vita or PS4 releases that probably won't be coming west?  I'm looking at Gundam Breaker 3 and anything else.

Why can't you stream it?
No idea, just what I saw posted over on the Gamefaqs board. For some reason in-console streaming is disabled, so you'd have to use an outside source to do so

Apparently Video Recording works, just not streaming for some reason

I'm importing that Super Robot Wars OG from Heavyarm. Trying to see if there's anything else cool to buy and combine shipping. Any other recommendations for good recent English-Asian Vita or PS4 releases that probably won't be coming west? I'm looking at Gundam Breaker 3 and anything else.
If they still have A.W. Phoenix War, that got an Asia-only physical release with English subs. Mine just came in from them today.

bread's done
Back