Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty dead week for the most part. No Man's Sky comes out this week for western releases, however I think the hype will kill it because people don't actually know what they're getting into. Other than that, Legend of Miro looks like it could be a little bit of an interesting game that I came across while browsing Steam's upcoming release list. I fully expect reviews to tear it apart and I will completely forget it exists after a week or two though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Adventure World (RPG)

Weekly Releases (August 7th - August 13th)

Ambition of the Slimes

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Strategy
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Already on Vita & iOS/Android

Winter Novel

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

- Comments: I think this is actually Russian developed. All the art is done in ASCII.

Ray Gigant

- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler

- Comments: Previously released on the Vita.

XBlaze Lost: Memories

- Comments: Previously released on PS3 & Vita. It's also a sequel to XBlaze Code: Embryo.

Super Star

- Comments: I believe this is Chinese developed. Screenshots show a pretty bad translation.

Karma Miwa

- Genre: Platformer

- Comments: I think this is Japanese? Pretty basic game regardless.

Past Releases

July 31st - August 6th

July 24th - July 30th

July 17th - July 23rd

July 10th - July 16th

July 3rd - July 9th

No Man's Sky comes out this week for western releases, however I think the hype will kill it because people don't actually know what they're getting into.
I was thinking the same thing. Just watched someone streaming gameplay on the PS4 (guess pre-sale copies are easy to come by?) and I definitely don't think it's going to be the game people were expecting it to be.

3.61 is out.  If you care about things like playing new games and trophies I highly suggest getting another system.

I was thinking the same thing. Just watched someone streaming gameplay on the PS4 (guess pre-sale copies are easy to come by?) and I definitely don't think it's going to be the game people were expecting it to be.
I feel like the game will do well among more hardcore gamers who actually went in without high hype levels, or more reasonable expectations. I fully expect to see lots of complaining from the other camp though.

Personally the streams did look interesting, but from hopping between channels (Due to the fact they were getting banned), it didn't seem like there was much variety in what you do ingame (Even accounting for what is getting added in the patch). Feels like the stuff like Bases and Cargo ships should have been ingame on Day 1, or with an estimated date.

Be sure to take a screenshot of the page too....people have been fighting for $10 certificates.....I know I had to email support to get my Overwatch one. 

Be sure to take a screenshot of the page too....people have been fighting for $10 certificates.....I know I had to email support to get my Overwatch one.
That's only because overwatch came out while they were migrating their rewards program to a new system.

Rice digital still hasn't shipped my Gal Gun Collector's.

Scam artists. What happened to "shipping early next week"?

When does early end? Wednesday? Thursday?

For any of you guys interested in the Attack on Titan game and have a GCU membership at Bestbuy, looks like the game is now included in the $10 certificate pre-order bonus offer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/gcu-attack-on-titan-offer-evn3822

I was thinking of holding off on the game for a bit since I have an import copy, but now I think I'll be getting it on launch.
I want to bite on this game, but I think I'll just wait it out, see what the reviews say, and then grab it afterwards for a bit cheaper.

I want to bite on this game, but I think I'll just wait it out, see what the reviews say, and then grab it afterwards for a bit cheaper.
Yeah. It looks fun, but I just cannot see this game holding its price at all. Only reason I might get it day one is if my friends are as well

Also still can't get over the wonky physics of the game. You'd think that if you flew high speed into a building there'd atleast be some damage taken, if not insta-death (Like in the show)

http://shoryuken.com/2016/08/08/final-skullgirls-2nd-encore-patch-on-the-horizon-new-animations-balance-changes-and-lobbies-coming-to-ps4/

Skullgirls getting a final huge patch, I guess before the studio moves on with the mobile game.

The bigger news is that it's getting a physical release too. I'm guessing its gonna be PS4 and Vita unlike the Vita only one in Japan, and it might not have a CE.
As long as I have the game, me no care if there is a CE or not. :3

I'm finding it a bit difficult to get hyped about Touhou Project Genso Rondo Bullet Ballet. Anyone want to share some or what you like about the game?

It looks like it plays like the Suguri games that are more duel-based, and less sidescroller.

Hmmm, I just got a shipping notice from Amazon for my "Zero Escape 3 Limited Watch Bonus Edition" for Nintendo 3DS.  Any chance his actually includes the watch?  I'm guessing not since Aksys hasn't mentioned anything recently about it.  But it would be odd that they would take 5 weeks to send me the game only when the game has been in stock the whole time at Amazon.  I'll likely find out by Wednesday since that is when it will be delivered.

Just got an e-mail from rice digital that they're shipping my copy of Gal gun..tomorrow.

And not even an actual e-mail notice, a shipper notification. So much for "early next week"

Scumbags.

Just got an e-mail from rice digital that they're shipping my copy of Gal gun..tomorrow.

And not even an actual e-mail notice, a shipper notification. So much for "early next week"

Scumbags.
Yeah, that's the part I hate about shopping at web stores. They just send packages out whenever it's convenient for them, once every week or two. They can't be bothered to go to the post office until someone e-mails and pesters them.

Scumbags.

My order it's also in limbo. I fear it may never get shipped.

Rice digital still hasn't shipped my Gal Gun Collector's.

Scam artists. What happened to "shipping early next week"?

When does early end? Wednesday? Thursday?
yeah i am pretty pissed at whole thing, at least some of you got a courtesy email, this is the last time i am ordering from rice, this isnt exceptable, i will go digital before i order from them again

It's surprising to hear all these bad things about Rice digital though.  I was impressed when I bought my original Steins; gate CE from them last year and it arrived very quickly from UK to US in less than a week, (5 days iirc).

It's surprising to hear all these bad things about Rice digital though. I was impressed when I bought my original Steins; gate CE from them last year and it arrived very quickly from UK to US in less than a week, (5 days iirc).
Yeah, fast shipping was about the only good thing I got from them. I had an order lost, and my other ones barely arrived without damage. The shipping boxes used where the worst, and I wouldn't have used them to mail to someone in my same city, let alone over seas.

This is why I didn't bother to get this LE, as I didn't want to deal with shipping issues, especially for something that is so expensive.

Did anybody else get an email with this: it was in my junk mail on August 2nd which was the same day they also told me they released the game.

"Thank you for ordering from Rice Digital! We seriously appreciate it and it means the world to us.

We do have some unfortunate news however, due to a few unexpected circumstances regarding dispatch and shipping issues, as well as the sheer number of US orders we've had to deal with, there has been a delay with your batch.

Since your order came into after a lot of other people it will naturally need to be added to the queue. Please do not be alarmed thinking we've forgotten about it. We haven't, and we are working the best we can to get through all of these many orders you've all been so kind to place with us.

This is not an event that happens often and we will be working especially hard in the future to make sure it doesn't happen again and that we can provide for our customers even better. This has been an unprecedented release for us and we are doing the best we can to step up to the challenge and to continue to improve.

Once again, we're sorry. We love our fans, and the games we sell. We'd like to let you know this should never happen again."

BOO!!

I have mastered Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

CpRfy1aVYAIBePU.jpg

And I'll still be playing it to beat the NG+ secret boss on lunatic mode.

No new free DLC on PSN this week again. I did forget to link the monthly PS+ games last week though, which includes Yakuza 5. Though I'm sure most everybody who can take advantage of it already has by now.

Did anybody else get an email with this: it was in my junk mail on August 2nd which was the same day they also told me they released the game.

"Thank you for ordering from Rice Digital! We seriously appreciate it and it means the world to us.

We do have some unfortunate news however, due to a few unexpected circumstances regarding dispatch and shipping issues, as well as the sheer number of US orders we've had to deal with, there has been a delay with your batch.

Since your order came into after a lot of other people it will naturally need to be added to the queue. Please do not be alarmed thinking we've forgotten about it. We haven't, and we are working the best we can to get through all of these many orders you've all been so kind to place with us.

This is not an event that happens often and we will be working especially hard in the future to make sure it doesn't happen again and that we can provide for our customers even better. This has been an unprecedented release for us and we are doing the best we can to step up to the challenge and to continue to improve.

Once again, we're sorry. We love our fans, and the games we sell. We'd like to let you know this should never happen again."

BOO!!
yeah showed up in my junk folder also, when i contacted them after hearing many other have their game shipped or already got it, i asked them what the f:::, they echoed that pretty much, since they said they would be in order but seeing how i preordered in jan with free shipping and people who ordered the pay for shipping version that went up months later are getting first priority, seems likely they created two databases for different versions and didnt factor in the amount of physical being made so certain customers are getting priority and eu first of course

It's surprising to hear all these bad things about Rice digital though. I was impressed when I bought my original Steins; gate CE from them last year and it arrived very quickly from UK to US in less than a week, (5 days iirc).
Mine was delayed as well, but once they actually shipped it impressively arrived in about 3-4 days. Not bad for free shipping - kinda bummed about Valkyrie Drive's shipping cost though, for sure.

If nobodies read their spam from Rice Digital yet, they've made yet another version of Gal*Gun. Now there's a "Limited Edition", which has an artbook, DLC, and a box. It's the same stuff as the VGP "Launch Edition" except it comes with a box. The extra cost to get a box isn't worth it, but it'll probably go on sale?

I'll wait for the Super Ultra Mega Really Really Limited Edition to come out.

Maybe then I can justify the incredibly expensive shipping costs.

*Edit*

That edition appears to be EU only, so if you want those bonuses with a NA copy, it's still only available through VGP (or at least at this point).

bread's done
Back