Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just guilt trip a significant other or family to buy you Gravity Rush for Christmas. "You love me, right? At least more than Amazon has loved me lately." It'll totally work.

I wasn't planning on buying it at or near launch anyways. I skipped the original because I don't care for the way those types of games control on Vita and thus skip all of its kind. Bought the PS4 version, but have yet to play it. Mostly because anytime I read about the PS4 version there's always a dozen people saying you should skip that one and play the Vita version. fuck that.

Hell yeah.
same I got it for the vita and have yet to play it.

I'll get there eventually, but it's in backlog hell right now. My schedule looks like this:

Pillars of Eternity + White Marsh I & II (Path of the Damned) -> Replay Trails of Cold Steel -> Trails of Cold Steel II -> Dragon Quest VII 3DS Remake -> Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Maybe before DQ7 depending when I finish Cold Steel II)

Plus I play Overwatch here and there on the side. That'll last me a while and I'll have to figure out where to go after depending on when I'm done with those.
I'm working on fire emblem fates conquest right now and ni no kuni when I feel like it though I may drop the latter since its boring as sin. Then it will be on to my next randomly picked title from the good ol backlog.

"I am Setsuna" may be getting a sequel according to Gematsu. Surprising, if this is indeed true, considering Tokyo RPG Factory recently posted a $2.4 million USD loss. Good to see they apparently have the support of Square to try their hands at another title, if again, this turns out to be a squeal to the game or another title made by the studio.

"Square Enix has filed a trademark for “Kimi to Kiri no Labyrinth” in Japan, or “You and the Foggy Labyrinth.”

While the name doesn’t sound so elegant when translated into English, in Japanese it does evoke a similar feel to Square Enix studio Tokyo RPG Factory’s first game, I Am Setsuna, which was called Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna in Japan. For that reason, Japanese blogs like Hachima Kikou and Sokuho@Hokanko are speculating that it’s the studio’s next project.

Tokyo RPG Factory’s initiative is to bring back the “good old days” of role-playing games. With I Am Setsuna, it created an RPG reminiscent of Chrono Trigger."

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/square-enix-trademarks-kimi-kiri-no-labyrinth-japan

nBfk9CA.gif

The physical version is just the second option and BB also lists it, so I wouldn't be too worried.

We all have a backlog hell.

I know mine should be:

Criminal Girls -> DQ7 -> Criminal Girls 2 -> FFXV......yeah i'm slow.

Along the way I play Hyrule Warrior Legends (1 level a day or so I will beat it eventually), Overwatch (gotten kind of bored honestly....too samey), random visual novels (I'm a fast reader at least).

I should go back and at least finish the main story of Dungeon Travelers 2 (think i'm about 45 hours into it.....was almost done with the main game I believe).

Wish I was better and stopped adding games all the time.
Yeah, too many games, I should stop bu... Oooo new CE edition announced :p

I need to go back and finished DT2 one of these days as well.

"I am Setsuna" may be getting a sequel according to Gematsu. Surprising, if this is indeed true, considering Tokyo RPG Factory recently posted a $2.4 million USD loss. Good to see they apparently have the support of Square to try their hands at another title, if again, this turns out to be a squeal to the game or another title made by the studio.

"Square Enix has filed a trademark for “Kimi to Kiri no Labyrinth” in Japan, or “You and the Foggy Labyrinth.”

While the name doesn’t sound so elegant when translated into English, in Japanese it does evoke a similar feel to Square Enix studio Tokyo RPG Factory’s first game, I Am Setsuna, which was called Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna in Japan. For that reason, Japanese blogs like Hachima Kikou and Sokuho@Hokanko are speculating that it’s the studio’s next project.

Tokyo RPG Factory’s initiative is to bring back the “good old days” of role-playing games. With I Am Setsuna, it created an RPG reminiscent of Chrono Trigger."

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/square-enix-trademarks-kimi-kiri-no-labyrinth-japan
If they don't localize the Vita version of the sequel then I won't buy it again.

It's pretty bad that i'm getting MeiQ mainly just cause of the boobie mouse pad. Otherwise I would wait for it to drop....so good job Iffy!

We all have a backlog hell.
Console only gamers have it pretty easy. Once you go Steam and have your first major sale, it becomes a literal hell after that. It basically eats you and you come out looking like this:

s9d2SYr.gif

I've more or less committed to following a few rules:

1) Will I play the game in the next three months?

2) Do I think the game be hard to find physically in the next three months or so?

2a) If so, do I care enough about it to not buy it digitally at some point?

So long as none of those are yes, then I will not buy it unless it hits a 70%+ discount rate from the original MSRP and even then I'll re-check to see if I'm interested in playing it ever as well was game reception. My main issue now is asking friends "Is this a game we want to play together?" and they say yes and agree to buy it. Then after everybody purchased it, they sit on their ass playing everything else but that god damned game. I think I've given up on those to the point where it'd cheaper to just say "fuck it, I'll buy it digitally the moment you ask me to play it and download it then. You assholes make me wait for you to complete tutorials when I ask you to spend your own time to go through that repeatedly." Though they'd probably start on their own and force me to catch up, the bastards. If I hadn't known them for 20'ish years, I'd probably have dumped them as friends.

I may have some animosity I need to get rid of. I probably also need to find new gaming friends that don't have the mind of a young teenager so I can actually get along with them.

It's pretty bad that i'm getting MeiQ mainly just cause of the boobie mouse pad. Otherwise I would wait for it to drop....so good job Iffy!
lol i just got a digital copy i haven't started it yet though. I;ll tell you if it sucks when i get around to it! boobie mouse pads ftw tho!

I've been screwed on the online gaming front before too. Two guys I was supposed to be playing Overwatch with never played or only played less than 5 games. I frankly don't buy online games anymore unless I am OK with playing alone more than occasionally. I always know people who will buy CoD and Battlefield, but everything else is hit and miss.

Same thing happened with Evolve (I got bored of this quickly and so did everyone else so it was mainly the game) and The Division, where everyone played more than I did so I was consistently outleveled....made everything a grind, and heck even Destiny. I always feel like I either play more than everyone else or not enough. Both are not great scenarios.

I also have a backlog thing that is being broken too often. Mine is:

- Only buy MSRP games if you'll play them within a month.

- Niche games usually can only be added to the backlog if they are around $20 physical (so discounted) or extremely cheap and will be played within a few month

- Don't buy sequels to games you haven't played (which is why I need to really get on Trails of Cold Steel 1 before I think of its sequel)

- Indie game bundles think about it for about 24 hours unless it will be cheap in a HH bundle...then reserve it.

I am very guilty of getting some games I knew I probably wouldn't play (Digimon Cyber, Grand Kingdom, MeiQ LE)....and a bit guilty though I will want to play them someday.

I am trying to be better and playing more (though been hard with moving), but it's not going greatly. 

If they don't localize the Vita version of the sequel then I won't buy it again.
This and make a damn physical version too. Some publishers don't seem to realize niche titles will sell better if we get a physical version as well. You know, so they can look pretty on our shelves, factory wrapped.

This and make a damn physical version too. Some publishers don't seem to realize niche titles will sell better if we get a physical version as well. You know, so they can look pretty on our shelves, factory wrapped.
where? i mean seriously nobody even sells Vita games anymore. I can find Spongebob Squarepants lol that is it. i love the Vita it's my baby but if digital works, digital works, we don't always get what we want unfortunately. and i agree with you 100%. So i get it.

Edit: i am just happy with anything Vita as long as they make it, it's not a troll i am serious. and i know noone cares about my opinion but seriously just enjoy what you have. stop boxing everything. sorry rant post move along lol.

I've been screwed on the online gaming front before too. Two guys I was supposed to be playing Overwatch with never played or only played less than 5 games. I frankly don't buy online games anymore unless I am OK with playing alone more than occasionally.
Yep I bought the ps4 version of Overwatch to play with friends...who then proceeded to either not buy it or buy it and not play. Soo I play alone and am just going to pick up the pc version soon because of it.

Does everybody here only buy vinyl? i mean i assume you like music too right? i'm drunk and just wondering seriously. or do you have discs backed up somewhere? i mean how are games different? we all love games. I get that they can take it down and it's not forever. name one thing in life that is though. i love physical copies but i will not miss a game because it isn't. It literally makes no sense and i do understand i want that Vita blue case, but I will play whatever I like despite the packaging. Idk it just sucks because that is what is killing the Vita, you can't find games anywhere but online. that is fine for us but not to everyone else. It is really stupid to be honest, just enjoy life, you never know what happens. 

Guess I should post Steam's daily deal. It's not really Japanese, but fits the thread well enough. Not really sure where the developer hails from actually.

$6.99 (-30%) - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Metroidvania) - Ends August 24th

- Not a particularly deep discount, but it's a cheaper indie title that has a decent base price to begin with. Technically it's the fourth game in the Momodora series, but this is also a prequel to all of them and easily the best one to play and fine to start with. It has a good aesthetic, decent OST, solid gameplay and has some difficulty to it. The only drawback it has is that the game is a bit on the short side clocking in at 4 to 6 hours. The game draws its inspiration from Cave Story & Dark Souls more or less. First two games in the series are free and the third is a measly $2. They're a bit more antiquated though, but still decent.

Console only gamers have it pretty easy. Once you go Steam and have your first major sale, it becomes a literal hell after that. It basically eats you and you come out looking like this:

s9d2SYr.gif

I've more or less committed to following a few rules:

1) Will I play the game in the next three months?

2) Do I think the game be hard to find physically in the next three months or so?

2a) If so, do I care enough about it to not buy it digitally at some point?

So long as none of those are yes, then I will not buy it unless it hits a 70%+ discount rate from the original MSRP and even then I'll re-check to see if I'm interested in playing it ever as well was game reception.
Yeah I only buy at release if I plan on playing right away or got a discount/bonuses like with 30$ cold steel and 40$ zesty. Otherwise no msrp for me. Or if the game may become rare then I wont wait for a discount. Like I did with hearts r and vesperia. Of course neither of those became rare and got numerous fricken reprints. Brightside now I have 3+ copies of vesperia

I've been screwed on the online gaming front before too. Two guys I was supposed to be playing Overwatch with never played or only played less than 5 games. I frankly don't buy online games anymore unless I am OK with playing alone more than occasionally. I always know people who will buy CoD and Battlefield, but everything else is hit and miss.

Same thing happened with Evolve (I got bored of this quickly and so did everyone else so it was mainly the game) and The Division, where everyone played more than I did so I was consistently outleveled....made everything a grind, and heck even Destiny. I always feel like I either play more than everyone else or not enough. Both are not great scenarios.

I also have a backlog thing that is being broken too often. Mine is:

- Only buy MSRP games if you'll play them within a month.

- Niche games usually can only be added to the backlog if they are around $20 physical (so discounted) or extremely cheap and will be played within a few month

- Don't buy sequels to games you haven't played
to the bolded But but I got the 3+ sequels on sale D: made that mistake with professor layton and atelier series. bought a bunch of the games because I'd figure I'd like them and they were all 20 or less. then I play one or 2 of them and really dislike them.

I noticed this wording on Amazon related to video games when viewing Root Letter for Vita

MYv8AdI.png

Anyone know if that's actually been enforced yet, or can you still get by with just having Prime at the time of the order for the discount?

Makes me wonder if they might be stopping that soon. I signed up for a month of Prime recently and just planned to plop down pre-orders for a few things then cancel it.

I noticed this wording on Amazon related to video games when viewing Root Letter for Vita

MYv8AdI.png

Anyone know if that's actually been enforced yet, or can you still get by with just having Prime at the time of the order for the discount?

Makes me wonder if they might be stopping that soon. I signed up for a month of Prime recently and just planned to plop down pre-orders for a few things then cancel it.
I haven't had anything ship yet, but I used a Prime trial a couple months ago. I placed 4 tentative preorders fully expecting I'd need to cancel them, but the prices didn't change when my trial ran off and they've sat at the discounted price for the last 2 months. I'll figure out for sure what'll happen when Shantae ships in September.

Looks like Jast USA's Flowers is finally out or coming out.

Copied from their blog:

Hope everyone is enjoying Flowers, with a few extra game tweaks and our overhauled translation.

People who preordered Flowers should have gotten a JASTUSA code yesterday, so they can start playing while they wait for the package to ship. The Steam keys will be in the box along with all the other goodies; they’re expected to ship around the 27th from J-List~ 

So you can pre-order the LE physical versions from J-list, or get the digital download on Steam or Jast USA's store. I know some people have been waiting a while for this one. I'm not really into Yuri game, but it looks like a high quality one.

Link to blog post

It's already out. Saw it yesterday on the release list while browsing Steam.
Cool i'll add it to my wishlist. It's by Innocent Grey who did the pretty good Kara no Shoujo games. Looks interesting for sure and isn't 18+ so a Steam purchase wont be a bad thing some time.

Has anyone noticed that the Project Diva X controller/fightstick has gone up to $160+ shipped at Amazon.jp?!

I'm glad I locked mine in at $120.

Last night, I finally beat 2 9 star songs in Future Tone. I've been struggling to break beyond 8.5 stars for awhile. I didn't count Saihate, which is 9 star on ex-extreme because it's just a slide note fest.

Last night, I finally beat 2 9 star songs in Future Tone. I've been struggling to break beyond 8.5 stars for awhile. I didn't count Saihate, which is 9 star on ex-extreme because it's just a slide note fest.
I fully gave up on 9.5 & 10 Star songs, I struggle badly enough on 9's that I can't go higher.

I'm really hoping that controller gives me an edge :pray:

But it probably won't :wall:

MYv8AdI.png

Not enforced yet. My trial ended in June and they shipped Galgun with the discount just fine in August. My next one is Coldsteel in September. Pretty confident they won't catch that one either.

So I ended up emailing Amazon about the ZTD watched and I got this reply

"I am sorry to know that you did not receive the watch with your item.

I have reviewed your order, I'd like to solve your issue by offering you with the below 2 options:

1. We can provide 25% of partial refund for your order.

2. Or else you can buy the watch from the nearest store we will issue a full cost of watch for you.

Please review them and write back to us with any one of the resolution using the link below, so that we can take care of it for you."

2. Or else you can buy the watch from the nearest store we will issue a full cost of watch for you.

Please review them and write back to us with any one of the resolution using the link below, so that we can take care of it for you."
245206-8.jpg

And in regards to Metal Gear Survive (since I wasn't here earlier)

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

bread's done
Back