Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a project that has been sending out a "progress" report (What progress? Oh ... There's definitely progress, believe you me.) for the last 3 and a half years in a thinly-veiled attempt to "show good faith" and avoid having to refund people for his nonexistent resource management.
Project Phoenix? That's not even my worst one.

Not much different than the PS3 LE, so I don't really feel compelled to get it. Plus the box art has Logy on it and I have an illogical and unhealthy case of hatred towards him and his appearance in every Atelier game since his induction. I'll probably wait until it gets discounted on PSN to buy it like the other plus versions.
You seem so jaded lately. I didn't buy the PS3 LE, cause I hoped there'd be a Vita Plus version,

That Atelier Shallie Plus LE is not bad at all. I'll be pre-ordering it, but need to find something else to get with it since it's total doesn't apply for free shipping.... :/

You seem so jaded lately. I didn't buy the PS3 LE, cause I hoped there'd be a Vita Plus version,
Midora I think was the one I was most pissed about. Project Phoenix is another, as well as Unsung Story. All wasted money.

I honestly don't bother with Kickstarter games of any kind anymore. I used to do board game and video game Kickstarters.

I've had some clunkers like Dead State, Two Minion Games (board games....), some other board game with tiles....think it was For The Win (just OK). I mainly just support Kickstarters for visual novels already out in Japan so I kind of know enough about them already. With that supported Muv Luv and another VN (forget the name now).

Numeria/Cryamore are my last digital download ones likely....also have Soul Saga. Hopefully these are all set for next year....been waiting for them for a long while and only have high hopes for Numeria. 

Day 1, I need my Wilbell fix!

869ea558.gif

I don't want to advertise for the guy (either good or bad), but it was a $100 set of accessories for a board game.

He was a rich kid that got a tough lesson about how business works, and we were a bunch of people that got a reasonably costed lesson about the value of Kickstarter in general.

Finally got my damn Fire Emblem Awakening artbook in today.

Swear this thing is beautiful. Didnt expect there to be so much concept art and storyboards as well.

I have to ask, but is the artbook censored? I was going to get the Japanese version, but $25 on Amazon was too tempting. But I don't want it if it's censored like Bravely Second's was.

I have to ask, but is the artbook censored? I was going to get the Japanese version, but $25 on Amazon was too tempting. But I don't want it if it's censored like Bravely Second's was.
Any idea what was censored (Stuff like the Bathing suit curtains?) I was reading inbetween classes but I'll let you know when I get home

Either way I'm a huge nerd of concept art and storyboarding as I am learning animation, so it was worth it

Any idea what was censored (Stuff like the Bathing suit curtains?) I was reading inbetween classes but I'll let you know when I get home

Either way I'm a huge nerd of concept art and storyboarding as I am learning animation, so it was worth it
I have no idea. But on Bravely Default, I posted some of the images from my JP version missing in the NA version.

Not sure as I never saw the Japanese version, but it doesnt seem censored. Olivia has a pretty insane ass shot in her character illustration page.

You seem so jaded lately.
Probably self-checking a little bit less lately before I post coupled with how I write. Though it's not like that post in particular was really negative to begin with, just venting some slight frustration I have with the series and saying the Vita LE isn't really enticing as I own the PS3 LE. Granted I believe it is the only way to get the physical Vita version as far as I know. I also don't exactly hide the fact that I don't really care much about the Vita outside of exclusive games. The idea of handhelds/mobile just holds little value for me in general unlike many in this thread.

I suppose some of my other replies could come off as particularly negative (I can think of one in particular that might)? It's probably just more the way I write like I said, but it's usually not meant to be that way unless it's strictly stated.

Thanks for reminding me about that Fire Emblem Awakening artbook guys, I have the Japanese version but don't mind double-dipping on the localized one (especially for only $25). :)

Ugg not sure what to play next. Dracu-Riot wasn't my type of game...though I did fully complete it. Probably go for Criminal Girls 1 Platinum but wow is that grindy....Also some more DQ7....

So apparently the NX will be shown off tomorrow? Or there will at least be something about it.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/788900063833493504

I have the japanese version(so I opted to skip the english release) so if you suspect any censored art, I can help you check. I doubt it though since the only blatant censorship I remember from awakening was the beach dlc.

I really don't remember this being an anime.
It was part of their 15th anniverary thing. Too bad it was about E&L.

I kinda wish there was a little more in it.

Ayesha lookin' milfy.

I hope they didn't just forget Nio since Ayesha's with the party now.

Hey I just noticed. Why do some of the screenshots say "Playstation 3 development of the game"?
Same reason why some of them are in japanese, laziness to get current ones.

I really don't remember this being an anime.
It wasn't very good, The animation was all over the place & it skipped so much of the game...

It was a barebones Escha & Logy experience but since it was low budget it was kinda expected.

Nothing like Tales of Zestiria X, that was eye pron! Can't wait for S2 =P~

There wasn't really anything shocking about the Nintendo Switch reveal honestly. The rumor of it being a console/handheld in one for a very long time more or less caused that though and there was nothing else interesting about it besides that. I do wonder how much horsepower it will actually be able to pull as Skyrim or Zelda isn't really an indication of graphical prowess.

My main concern is the clippy controller feel for the very rare times when I'm using it as a handheld. It really needs to be ergonomical. Also wondering what they'll do with the DS line in the future after the Switch is out. Games will still flow of course, but I'm more referring to future DS line hardware iterations.

EDIT: Actually I guess the biggest concern is how long third-party developer support sticks around for.

EDIT 2: Battery life of the handheld would also be nice to know.

There wasn't really anything shocking about the Nintendo Switch reveal honestly. The rumor of it being a console/handheld in one for a very long time more or less caused that though and there was nothing else interesting about it besides that. I do wonder how much horsepower it will actually be able to pull as Skyrim or Zelda isn't really an indication of graphical prowess.

My main concern is the clippy controller feel when using it as a handheld. It really needs to be ergonomical. Also wondering what they'll do with the DS line in the future after the Switch is out. Games will still flow of course, but I'm more referring to future DS line hardware iterations.
It's a good idea, probably the best console idea from them in decades. For once it actually looks like they are paying attention to where the gaming market is going in Japan instead of doing whatever they want and getting lucky with it.

Not sure I'm in on this unless they can sustain their third party support though. Wii U had a long list of third party software developers but they all dropped out really early on. If this can maintain a 3DS level of third party support I'm in.

Hey if the Nintendo Switch lets me play my DS games (w/e new portable games are called) on the TV then I am all for it.  Been asking for this for years.

If they have actually gone ahead and combined their platforms then this would be a revelation.  But knowing Nintendo, this seems highly unlikely considering how much they like to profit off their handheld hardware.  It seems like the Switch would just be portable home console games. 

I dunno, it seems very fiddly. 

I also chuckled at "Hey, look at us with our tiny hands.  My buddy and I can play Mario Kart in the car using controllers 1/3 normal size!"  

*tiny high five*

Nintendo Switch looks great, this is exactly what I wanted from them.

The controller looks weird, but as long as it's functional I'll have no problem with it.

It does look a little big to take around, but I realize that I haven't really taken my Vita or 3DS XL out that much since they don't really fit in my pockets either (my pockets are always full of stuff too). So I'd likely use a case when taking the Switch out. 

Guess I'll be like the Persona 5 protagonist and start carrying a bag around.... >_>

Cool, Nintendo made a Vita.
A valid point. And a possible point of contention for Nintendo going forward. Having a more capable portable system is no guarantee of success. You could argue that the Vita was too early. But you could also say that it was the wrong fit with the wrong games for a broader audience.

Then again, the Vita was not designed to be compatible with a standard television out of the box. You had to eventually purchase a separate device for that functionality. While the Switch will be capable of console-style games on-the-go, that won't be a requirement. You can just play them on your TV, like a standard home console, if you so choose.

Still, this simple comment does highlight a major challenge for the Switch that Nintendo will have to address. They are going to have to have a broader variety of titles available on the Switch. They are going to have to provide bigger and smaller experiences, at the same time. Two different styles of play means multiple styles of games.

It actually does look like one of their better ideas. But very few people will carry it around.
Also battery life will be a huge issue if it's a Ati/nvdia based processor. Now if they're using a mobile processor, they'll get better battery life but they won't be able to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, let alone Pro and Scorpio.

Prediction
Good sales as a secondary console for Nintendo exclusives. So what Nintendo always does.

I'm going to bet 2 hours of battery life with screen brightness turned down. Which will kill the portable nature of it quickly.
I'm only getting about 3 hours of active play time on a full charge with my OG Vita after 4-5 years of ownership, so 2 hours isn't too much of a downgrade for me if that is active play time. I am getting 8-9 hours on the newer Vita though, so it's obviously a huge downgrade from that.

A valid point. And a possible point of contention for Nintendo going forward. Having a more capable portable system is no guarantee of success. You could argue that the Vita was too early. But you could also say that it was the wrong fit with the wrong games for a broader audience.

Then again, the Vita was not designed to be compatible with a standard television out of the box. You had to eventually purchase a separate device for that functionality. While the Switch will be capable of console-style games on-the-go, that won't be a requirement. You can just play them on your TV, like a standard home console, if you so choose.

Still, this simple comment does highlight a major challenge for the Switch that Nintendo will have to address. They are going to have to have a broader variety of titles available on the Switch. They are going to have to provide bigger and smaller experiences, at the same time. Two different styles of play means multiple styles of games.
I mean I hope they finally Unite both the their handheld and console teams into one

I guess there's not going to be a successor for the 3DS. I really like the Switch but it's too big to fit in my purse and it may be heavy. The battery life may not last long.

bread's done
Back