Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky....

My Zelda Master Edition still hasn't been shipped... :cry:

Edit: It just shipped! :)
My Master Edition from Amazon still hasn't shipped!

1778114_zpstxlphtpw.gif

It's even listing it as arriving tomorrow, I better see The Flash knocking on my door tomorrow!

My master edition was waiting for me when I got home =) Now I just have to make it through work tomorrow so I can come home to my Switch.

I loved the previous PS2 Fire Pro Wrestling game....looked bad but played awesomely. I can't wait to buy this one.

Okay so finished another route of Chronoclock so more impressions:

Great graphics and music. Pretty neat and original stories so far. Not the typical school harem stuff. Still same problem as before where it ends and the epilogue is poop. They really should have expanded on those quite a bit....leaves a lot to be desired...and i'm not just talking about unlocking the 18+ scenes. Really disappointing but the routes are good and the production values are high. Translation is OK but not great. This is shaping up to be a good 7/10 game. Maybe 7.5....but the epliogues are just so blah in this compared to most other VNs I've played.

Cosmic Star Heroine finally has a release date of April 11th. It will release on PC (Windows) & PS4. Vita will release 'shortly thereafter' but will be cross-buy with PS4. Mac & Linux releases coming later as well, but should release before the Vita version. It will eventually have a Limited Run Games physical release, however that will be at least two months out from the launch according to Zeboyd.

Net High has an English trophy list but still no localization after more than a year, so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
yeah a little worried about this but since its a gust game, besides some dissappointment and unfinishedness u can expect from them, theirs a good chance for tk publish it here, more dissapointed that xseed is spending the time and money that they could use for a new game on the free dlc for story of seasons, seems were going to be screwed into a pqube peach splash and probably the school girl zombie game rumored to be released by xseed this winter here

Great news. I didn't want to deal with buying through a foreign PSN
yeah except i already bought a part of it through jp psn, hopefully they lower the price and update with eng subs, though that is wishful thinking on my part

Cosmic Star Heroine finally has a release date of April 11th. It will release on PC (Windows) & PS4. Vita will release 'shortly thereafter' but will be cross-buy with PS4. Mac & Linux releases coming later as well, but should release before the Vita version. It will eventually have a Limited Run Games physical release, but that will be at least two months out from the launch according to Zeboyd.
well i have lost hype for this but will wait for a chance to get the physical

FYI, a mod at the nintendoswitch subreddit confirmed that the ENTIRE Nintendo Switch physical JP copy of the game turns into English in I Am Setsuna if your system language is set to english, I purchased through Amazon.JP. If you are into owning physical copies, might be worth grabbing.

http://amzn.to/2mABzNf

Could anyone with some experience buying physical imported games and dlc help me guess on how the switch will work? The I am Setsuna Japanese retail version has English but the game is also getting dlc. I know the dlc will be free but still I really don't want to make another region account just for dlc. How does it normally work on other systems? Do you think I will be able to download the dlc off the North American eshop when it's out or because I have the Japanese retail version it will only work with the Japanese eshop? Also I'm guessing if I have to use the Japanese eshop for the dlc then I will only be able to play with Japanese players? Thank you for any advice as this is my first time ever importing a game like this.

Could anyone with some experience buying physical imported games and dlc help me guess on how the switch will work? The I am Setsuna Japanese retail version has English but the game is also getting dlc. I know the dlc will be free but still I really don't want to make another region account just for dlc. How does it normally work on other systems? Do you think I will be able to download the dlc off the North American eshop when it's out or because I have the Japanese retail version it will only work with the Japanese eshop? Also I'm guessing if I have to use the Japanese eshop for the dlc then I will only be able to play with Japanese players? Thank you for any advice as this is my first time ever importing a game like this.
You'll almost certainly have to make a JP account to access dlc for a JP copy of the game, the English version is out in the eShop, you only need the physical copy from JP if you 'want' a physical copy. I"ve heard that the multi-region user accounts on the switch are pretty seamless for use, when you launch a game it will ask which account you want to launch with

You'll almost certainly have to make a JP account to access dlc for a JP copy of the game, the English version is out in the eShop, you only need the physical copy from JP if you 'want' a physical copy. I"ve heard that the multi-region user accounts on the switch are pretty seamless for use, when you launch a game it will ask which account you want to launch with

Thanks for the help. I really prefer physical on Nintendo systems so I guess it's a trade off no matter how I decide to go. Maybe I will try and turn my wife's account into a Japanese region one or just skip the physical not sure. I'am glad I know so that way I can decide today before I order it.

I"ve heard that the multi-region user accounts on the switch are pretty seamless for use, when you launch a game it will ask which account you want to launch with
WOW, that's damn cool if true. I never thought I would live to see the day where "N" officially allows region free gaming, and on top of it, actually improves upon the way it has worked on other systems. There has to be a downside somewhere, we just don't know about it yet, as this is so not "N". LOL

WOW, that's damn cool if true. I never thought I would live to see the day where "N" officially allows region free gaming, and on top of it, actually improves upon the way it has worked on other systems. There has to be a downside somewhere, we just don't know about it yet, as this is so not "N". LOL
Yeah a Nintendo employee told me the same thing, it's like the PS4 and X1 in that respect. No game sharing across profiles though, unlike Sony and MS, at least not yet.

My Zelda is coming in today, but my Switch console won't be in until monday... both from Best Buy.
Guess I can finish the Horizon: ZD plat and play Zelda for 1 day b4 Nier takes over.

Amazon's Lightning Deal today is a $50 Steam gift card. Dunno how much it'll be off. Starts at 6:05pm PST.

I'm gonna try to get in on that for Atelier Firis and Nier Automata.

So much cult of the new in this thread. I'm still working on Yakuza 0 since it's pretty long if I want to do most of the side stories. I'm holding back on switch/horizon/nier/wild lands...whatever to try to hurt the backlog this month. Now once Persona 5 drops...i'm on that like an Otaku to a limited edition figure.

re; FE: Heroes

I finally pulled a 5* Hinoka!  I'm excited.  It has been hard to come by good blue fighters and mages so far.  I think my team will finally be pretty strong once I level up Hinoka and Minerva.   Still don't have any strong casters though.  Is having two fliers is a liability?

With my last crew I have been leveing up Kagero, Olivia, and female Corrin. They are all 4*s.   Dancer is -very- powerful.  Kagero's poison dagger is very powerful too.  Highly recommend leveling those guys if you have them. 

I'm trying to decide who to promote to 5* with my first 20,000 feathers and am kind of torn between Olivia and Shareena.  Really have to make the best use of them and it doesn't make sense to spend them on someone whom you can pull a 5* naturally.   I am dying to pull a 5* Effie or Azura for more blue dps. 

I have so many orbs saved up on my main FEH account now, my summoning trigger starting to get itchy.

Finally got enough feathers with the bonus to 5* my Tharja, so not really looking for anything else until the Choose Your Legend banner arrives, but it is so hard to hold back right now... ~_~

I finally pulled a 5* Hinoka! I'm excited. It has been hard to come by good blue fighters and mages so far. I think my team will finally be pretty strong once I level up Hinoka and Minerva. Still don't have any strong casters though. Is having two fliers is a liability?

With my last crew I have been leveing up Kagero, Olivia, and female Corrin. They are all 4*s. Dancer is -very- powerful. Kagero's poison dagger is very powerful too. Highly recommend leveling those guys if you have them.

I'm trying to decide who to promote to 5* with my first 20,000 feathers and am kind of torn between Olivia and Shareena. Really have to make the best use of them and it doesn't make sense to spend them on someone whom you can pull a 5* naturally. I am dying to pull a 5* Effie or Azura for more blue dps.
2 fliers is fine if one of them can take out takumi.

Kagero has an advantage against 75% of the cast.

Shareena is great is a great wall against reds and supports ranged units very well, especially nino. I'm not too sure about utility for offensive purposes, but defense and support is A++

Lucky you, effie is the next banner unit.

HeavyArm is selling the Asian version of I Am Setsuna Switch physical for $49.

https://twitter.com/heavyarm_store/status/837868319310925824

I finally pulled a 5* Hinoka! I'm excited. It has been hard to come by good blue fighters and mages so far. I think my team will finally be pretty strong once I level up Hinoka and Minerva. Still don't have any strong casters though. Is having two fliers is a liability?

With my last crew I have been leveing up Kagero, Olivia, and female Corrin. They are all 4*s. Dancer is -very- powerful. Kagero's poison dagger is very powerful too. Highly recommend leveling those guys if you have them.

I'm trying to decide who to promote to 5* with my first 20,000 feathers and am kind of torn between Olivia and Shareena. Really have to make the best use of them and it doesn't make sense to spend them on someone whom you can pull a 5* naturally. I am dying to pull a 5* Effie or Azura for more blue dps.
I ran two fliers for awhile (5* Cordellia and Camilla), and I could never reliably kill Takumis. I would always have to make my units dance around in order to bait the takumi in to a place where hopefully one of my units could fly over some terrain and take it out. These strategies almost always resulted in me loosing a unit or two though. My current arena team is a 5* Lyn, Jeorge (archer), and Julia with a 4* Shareena for heals. Lyn is usually enough to tank damage from physical units while Jeorge wrecks anything that flies and can usually outshoot any takumi. Julia also can punish any low resistance units and eviscerate dragon characters while Shareena's +3 boost to adjacent allies attack at the start of the turn plus ability to heal 15 health every turn really just ties everything together. This week after my 7 arena wins I ended with a score of 4298 which I'm pretty satisfied with.

TL ; DR Fliers are unreliable. Ranged units are amazing if you can protect them.

HeavyArm is selling the Asian version of I Am Setsuna Switch physical for $49.

https://twitter.com/heavyarm_store/status/837868319310925824
does that include shipping? Amazon JP is $44 shipped to the states (for the jp ver obviously)

Damn, I missed posting this before it was sold out. Waiting list is active though.

:ps4: King of Fighters 14 SteelBook Edition $25.38

:ps4: BlazBlue: Central Fiction Limited Edition $55.27 (If anyone missed the deal last week)

:ps4: Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star $34.12 (Saber Boobies ^_^) [Is it just me or do they seem to get bigger with every game?]

Btw, this is really random, and it's been months since the game has been released, but I just beat Final Fantasy 15, and that game sucks. 

(I posted why here, very spoiler-ish, don't read if you haven't beaten it yet. And don't play it if you haven't yet.)

Seriously, mind the spoilers. Final Warning.
What is it with modern Japanese games and their inability to end a game well? Like Metal Gear Solid V, the true ending of the game for me was mission 45, the game doesn't exist after that. Evangelion also ended on episode 3, nothing else exists. 

Chapter 13... is as bad as everyone says it is and worse. Why does the game try to be something it's not? Like the very last chapters of the game, and it suddenly turns into a terrible horror/stealth game, filled with jump scares. That's like playing GTA V, and near the end of the game, it suddenly turns into Rogue Warrior. Like they had the winning formula down, and then decided to throw it all away. It's not like the rest of the game is bad too, just that very specific chapter... you know it's bad when the developers have to apologize and promise to fix it...

And not even trying to troll here, I liked FFXIII more, well I always loved the 13 trilogy, but the way the story unraveled and ended was way better than FFXV. In fact, I've had to sit through years of people hating on FFXIII and now it's finally time for some payback!

Let's not fool ourselves, the 2nd half of the game is obviously very rushed through. Minimal interactions, fights, dialogue. The chapters are insanely short, the graphics look so unpolished. Not even just chapter 13, but everything after Altissa seemed like an entirely different game, key story elements were ignored or thrown around randomly. Ardyn's and Gentiana's true identities could've been revealed in a much better way. Plus, what happened to the other side characters, Cid, Iris, Areana, Cindy? Next to no mention of them after the 10 years. I might go an explore the world to see if they are still there but I highly doubt it.

Also, inconsequential deaths is my biggest complaint about the game, not even the story but everything. So many characters die with such little significance. Regis died in the first 5 minutes, and we didn't get a feel for who he was. Luna as well, no interaction with her but memoir cutscenes. Ravus, a character that could've been another Sepheroth, or an amazing anti-hero, died off screen. In fact almost everyone died off screen. Jared too, like wtf!? They had to kill some NPC who just wanted to help? And we didn't even get anything but a mention? No cutscene? Also the Regalia, poor girl... they had to do her in like a Michael Bay movie. No after story about her either, no digging up and repairing her. And finally, Noctis. Now I know that his death helps facilitate the ending of the game, but it feels so cheap that they just kill him off after everything. Like they could've kept him alive too, it didn't matter since the game already ended, but just to desperately evoke some feelings in the end, they just went for it.

But the thing I am most disappointed about is the lack of a potential for a sequel. There's always the possibility that something else goes wrong in Lucis, and someone will have to take the helm, but the entire royal lineage is already dead...

My dream sequel was an all female cast in contrast to this one. Where Luna is the protagonist in FFXV-2, kinda like how Serah was in FFXIII-2. And for her 3 partners, she would have Areana, Cindy, and Iris. Not trying to make an all female Ghostbusters here, but with how FFXIII-2 was, and how FFX-2 also was like, a 3 female party leading, it just makes a lot of sense and would be cool. But they screwed that all up...

I told you that FFXV goes downhill after the first few chapters.

Amazon's Lightning Deal today is a $50 Steam gift card. Dunno how much it'll be off. Starts at 6:05pm PST.
I'm gonna try to get in on that for Atelier Firis and Nier Automata.
Looks like it's just $5 off, which isn't terrible. It's already live for Prime users.

I told you that FFXV goes downhill after the first few chapters.

Looks like it's just $5 off, which isn't terrible. It's already live for Prime users.
Just went live for regular users. It's a physically shipped card so I guess it won't get here in time for Firis for me. But it is making Nier Automata more tempting for a day one buy.

How long does it generally take HeavyArm to reply back?
It's usually pretty quick, but they tweeted yesterday that it could take a few days with the Switch launch going on. I emailed them about 24 hours ago and still haven't received a reply.

bread's done
Back