Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
:ps4: Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star $34.12 (Saber Boobies ^_^) [Is it just me or do they seem to get bigger with every game?]
6bd7428af9f848004cf410d868b22139.jpg

Welp I caved & Imported a copy of I am Setsuna from Amazon.JP

I fear that now people know it's in english it might sell better & it could become a bit rarer to find down the road.

Damn anxiety!

Also found a HQ Image of the English Cover, if anyone wants to print their own.

Welp I caved & Imported a copy of I am Setsuna from Amazon.JP

I fear that now people know it's in english it might sell better & it could become a bit rarer to find down the road.

Damn anxiety!

Also found a HQ Image of the English Cover, if anyone wants to print their own.
I really wonder how many copies of these Switch games are gonna get produced, and whether or not they accounted for importers as well.

Especially in the future when more niche stuff starts coming out, it might be a race to get a copy

Okay done with 4 routes on Chronoclock...2 to go. It's not really getting better though. The routes are really shallow and seem to always be missing more details than not. They end where a route in another game would be maybe mid route. The epilogue's don't add really anything at all and are extremely short. I'm downgrading my score to 6/10 for now....and likely going to keep it there unless the 2 last routes are great. This game made me appreciate Da Capo 3 a lot more. There was probably too much to Da Capo 3, but I never felt that I didn't know the characters and everything around them. Literally there were a lot of characters. I feel these routes have only 1 thought in mind and the rest of the details go out the window. Honestly it's just really basic and I've played better games. Heck i'm even longing for Dracuriot, which I thought the routes were well done but had way too many details. It's always better than having too little details.

Hopefully these rants are helping someone. Sorry I don't do the usual reviews all in one posting. I just post them as I go through the routes for VNs. Also helps when the VNs are very long like Da Capo 3.

I'm really regretting not getting a copy of the Nier: Automata collector's edition. I'm getting a "must have" feeling for it now and it goes for $400 :(

NieR is more or less this weeks big hitter. Though there are a couple others that have some decent potential as well. Hopefully Firis runs better on PC than it does reportedly on console based on the Japanese version.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Revenant Saga (RPG / KEMCO)

Weekly Releases (March 5th - March 11th)

Blaster Master Zero
- Platform(s): 3DS / Switch
- Genre: Action-Adventure / Top-Down & Side View
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Digital only. Upgraded version of the original 1988 NES game, Blaster Master, with new content.

Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita & PC
- Genre: RPG
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Please be a good PC port.

NieR: Automata
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: PC is next week. Be prepared to play through multiple times, like the previous NieR, to get the full story.

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One & PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes
- Comments: Previously released for the PS3/360/Vita 5 to 6 years ago.

Danmaku Unlimited 3
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Not actually Japanese I guess?

The Adventures of Fei Duanmu 端木斐异闻录
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Past Releases
February 26th - March 4th
February 19th - February 25th
February 12th - February 18th
February 5th - February 11th
January 29th - February 4th

Gave up and ordered it on ebay and let myself get scalped.

Even amazon.jp is having troubles keeping up with demand and shipping times are iffy. The asia release is going to be rare as fuck.

I'm moving sometime in the next couple months so even if heavyarms does sucessfully get a restock, good chances it'll go to an address i'm no longer at.

Bleh.

I'm really regretting not getting a copy of the Nier: Automata collector's edition. I'm getting a "must have" feeling for it now and it goes for $400 :(
A lot of people are showing buyers remorse and are likely to cancel, which will probably result in another wave of open orders. You are probably already on the waiting list, so just look out for that. The waiting list also doesn't seem to go in order but releasing all the stock at once. I've read people who signed up early and late both getting a open stock email at around the same time, so maybe sign up with another email again, and keep an eye out these last few days if they do something like the FFXV ce. If anything, a lot of people on the CAG CE thread seem to not want theirs, so look out there for anyone wanting to return theirs and send them a pm once the game hits. Good Luck. May 2B-ooty guide you.

Or why did I open this POS. :D
Exactly. Point being, people only want a sealed copy because it's worth money now. People are shallow that way.

They all had 4 or 6 months to buy it at MSRP and never wanted it because it's standard fare SquareEnix ripoff.

Exactly. Point being, people only want a sealed copy because it's worth money now. People are shallow that way.

They all had 4 or 6 months to buy it at MSRP and never wanted it because it's standard fare SquareEnix ripoff.
Hey, if people didn't want things just because of value, LRG would be out of business. ;D

People want a stupid CE just because it's valuable now. Other people who spent $200 and opened it are like why did I buy this POS.
Or people like collectibles with their games. Especially when those games turn out great. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nawww, you prolly right. Stupid CEs. Shitty LRG games. fuck everything and everyone.

Or people like collectibles with their games. Especially when those games turn out great. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nawww, you prolly right. Stupid CEs. Shitty LRG games. fuck everything and everyone.
Or some people like big butts and they cannot lie,

I'm also a nice steelbook type of guy,

With an artbook that shows 2-Booty,

I want it more than Call of Duty.

Not sure if this has been shown but the Case Art on the Zelda BotW Special Edition & Basic Edition is different.
i4EWX5x.jpg

I sort of wanted to spring for the Nier LE, but I knew Square Enix would eventually put out a better artbook separately, which I would end up buying either way, and SE figurines have historically been trash tier.

I just heard Honoka's voice in DOA for the first time and I want to strangle her to death now.

This is a perfectly reasonable reaction, right?

anyone get a response from Heavyarm about Setsuna yet?
I originally emailed them on Friday, but didn't get a response until this morning. Got the order in and paid for.

Edit: they just tweeted to email them to preorder the next restock.

Yay officially finished Chronoclock.

One of the endings was actually pretty good. It still ended somewhat abruptly....but it felt a bit more finished than the others. The last route....was literally 5 minutes long. Yeah, that was not good. It felt like, oh yeah there was that other person...lets do an ending now...and wham....like 2 little parts of a route. The story was OK at best and I really disliked the way the routes were delivered. It always felt like you were at an important part at the end and it's like eh...we're happy....whatever. The H-Scenes should have been integrated into the story. It would have maybe made them a little more substantial. The story, especially for that last ending always seemed rushed and heading to some main story point. You never really get a feel for anything other than the characters at school, and the MC and the characters living with him. The rest of them had families you never saw and never cared about. It was all fluff. The graphics and sound are excellent though. That's easily my favorite part of the game. I think overall adding up everything approximately the story was about 25 hours long. Maybe get in a sale, but it's just not that great. It did make me appreciate more Dracu-Riot! and Da Capo 3 more, which I had complaints about, but were easily 7/10 games with their decent stories and characters. So yup I'm sticking to my 6/10 score. 

I am awash in a sea of fun games right now, this rabbit hole is just getting deeper. I have almost no time to game with work and general life but I'm going to try and get in an hour a night at least for the next two months. I doubt I make it but I'm trying.

I am awash in a sea of fun games right now, this rabbit hole is just getting deeper. I have almost no time to game with work and general life but I'm going to try and get in an hour a night at least for the next two months. I doubt I make it but I'm trying.
Good luck! I'm struggling myself. I go through VNs pretty quickly though, since I read relatively quickly. I played a bit of Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns....good simple fun, but honestly this will likely be my last of these games. It's weird that it reminds me so much of the SNES and PSX versions....game just doesn't evolve that much. Still alright game and I'm sure i'll go till I at least get married. I think i'm just a bit over the formula, and really have to play Stardew Valley as well with all the praise it gets.

I'm working on Yakuza 0 though...chapter 4 at least haha. Game goes relatively quickly honestly when you concentrate on the story. I've done most of the side missions though other than the friendship missions, and I've still finished off 3 or 4 of those.

I bought Setsuna from Amazon.co.jp Friday night just before midnight and it's supposed to be here tomorrow! The price + shipping was lower than nippon-yasan / playasia as well (although I didn't check any others). It was my first amazon.co.jp order, so I'm pretty impressed.

Well, I beat and somehow managed to platinum Horizon: Zero Dawn. It was a lot better than I was expecting. It doesn't really fit this thread, but I'll briefly give a short blurb on it. For me, it had some issues/annoyances such as:

• Inconsistent movement. Hills make you go a little slow when climbing them. Jumping is faster, sadly.
  • Sometimes small objects on the ground can stop you in your tracks, which is bad when you're fighting and moving backwards rather than forwards. Caused me to get killed a couple times because of it. It's also inconsistent on what will cause this as well.
  • Second half, the dialogue scenes had animation cuts from dialogue window to dialogue window that was rather jarring. I don't remember it being that present in the first half.
  • Facial expressions were a little stiff/awkward in my opinion. Could have used a wider range of facial expressions too.
  • Really needs more variety of enemies. Once you learn how to kill them, they become really easy. The only way to make it hard after that is to throw simultaneous enemies at you. Some slightly re-skinned types with some extra features would've been nice that had some different move sets too I think.
  • Human enemies are pretty bland with only a couple of real variations of them. AI is pretty much the same across all of them.
  • Sunglare out the ass. If you're traversing an area that makes you look towards the sun, it's really bad. Games need to stop this shit except with transitioning from a dark/artificial light area.
  • Resource & modification inventories are small, even after all the upgrades. There could have been some improvements to the inventory system as well. Also inventory upgrades should have focused more on machines than wildlife for things. Why do I need a Fish Skin to upgrade to the max capacity for an ammo type?

Despite that, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit as well as the story (Man vs. Machine). The game also looks really good and probably even better on a PS4 Pro with almost no instances of noticeable framerate drops. The final missions was rather fun too as you're given a new toy to play with and earlier sidequests will have a slight effect on the mission too. Final boss was unfortunately a bit of a joke. Especially if you found all of a certain type of item from various main missions to obtain the best defensive armor in the game.

I'd really recommend picking it up at some point if the gameplay interests you at all. Once you get the skills, it's fun sprinting, sliding and stealth stabbing things. Among other things.

I'd really recommend picking it up at some point if the gameplay interests you at all. Once you get the skills, it's fun sprinting, sliding and stealth stabbing things. Among other things.
It's for sure on my radar, but I'm not getting a PS4 until maybe holidays this year if my funds are right, but since this was first shown, I wanted to play it, as it looks rather cool.

I somehow managed to sneak into the top 5000 rank for arena in fire emblem heroes :eek:
Hopefully it lasts so I can get me some those feathers

Woah nice, what was your score that landed you up there?
Score was 4536. Rank 4879.
I think I did a perfect advanced run with 5* shareena, 4* nino, 5* seliph, and 5*+1 roy
Or I might have had 1 death. Can't really remember.

• Inconsistent movement. Hills make you go a little slow when climbing them. Jumping is faster, sadly.
Although I haven't played the game to know how bad it is, I actually like the idea of uphill movement being slower. Though if it bogs you down too much it's actually less believable than if there was no change at all. Of course, the jumping thing is right out; I've always hated jumping as a superior movement strategy. (except for platformers I suppose)

• Sunglare out the ass. If you're traversing an area that makes you look towards the sun, it's really bad.
llotd.jpg

Although I haven't played the game to know how bad it is, I actually like the idea of uphill movement being slower. Though if it bogs you down too much it's actually less believable than if there was no change at all. Of course, the jumping thing is right out; I've always hated jumping as a superior movement strategy. (except for platformers I suppose)
I felt it went a bit too slow on anything more than a small incline. That's probably partially because repeatedly jumping felt so much quicker on anything that was anything 35 degrees or higher. I didn't even really touch on mounts either, which felt very meh on anything that wasn't a road. I'd lose all momentum too easily. After I got infinite free fast travel, I just used that instead and ran around for the rest without a mount most of the time.

Load times were pretty good too. Except for the biggest city in the game. That was pretty slow unless you're more or less right there and most of it is still in memory.

bread's done
Back