Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose most people here who have a switch are looking forward to Splatoon 2. There are a couple of other interesting titles, but nothing else that's particularly large/highly wanted. Could be worse though. You could have been suckered into buying Fortnite to play with someone.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Crimnson Gray (Visual Novel)
- 救う(SHE SAVE) (Action)

Weekly Releases (July 16th - July 22nd)

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Technically not Japanese. Digital only. Pre-order PS4 version and get the Vita version for free. 20% Pre-order discount for PS+ subs.

Splatoon 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Demo: Limited Time.
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Demo will be removed at some point. I'm assuming when the game launches.

Moon Hunters
- Platform(s): Xbox One
- Genre: RPG / Adventure
- Online: Yes.

OldMaidGirl
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Card Game / Old Maid
- Comments: ...

The Initial
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / RPG

Children of Zodiarcs
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: SRPG / Cards
- Comments: Technically not Japanese, but published by Square-Enix

Aeternum
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Online: Leaderboards only.
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Blind Men
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yaoi
- Comments: Spanish Dev.

Pastry Lovers
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation

Seduction
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Simulation?
- Comments: ...

Past Releases
July 9th - July 15th
July 2nd - July 8th
June 25th - July 1st
June 18th - June 24th
June 11th - June 17th

If I were to get an srpg for the vita, which one?

God Wars vs Utawarerumono vs Summon Night 6

Also, have any of them been on sale yet(prime day)?

If I were to get an srpg for the vita, which one?

God Wars vs Utawarerumono vs Summon Night 6

Also, have any of them been on sale yet(prime day)?
God Wars was on sale for $25 for the PS4 version prior to its release on Amazon. I haven't noticed a sale on the Vita version. Nor have I seen Utawarerumono on sale at all, but I haven't paid particular attention to it. Finally Summon Night 6 isn't even out for another month at the very least. I'm sure there's a site you can use like isthereanydeal.com for physical copies, but I don't recall what it is off hand. I know other people in this thread know what it is.

I've only played the first two and of those, beat Utawarerumono: The Mask of Deception. I'll give my brief thoughts on them:

God Wars Future Past - Gameplay is somewhat interesting and has a little bit more depth to it than your standard SRPG that releases these days. However once you figure out mana management, it's fairly simple. There is also a class system that has some light similarities to Final Fantasy Tactics, but don't believe it's like that game beyond those light similarities. Completing side shrine quests will completely overlevel you for the main story. The story itself is pretty laughable and if you don't turn off the large visual novel portraits during speaking, there are a couple that are insanely distracting. Mainly the main guys.

Utawarerumono: The Mask of Deception - This is very much a visual novel first, so there is a metric ton of text. On top of that there is a lot of slice of life that can turn a person off from the game quite easily. There aren't too many battles in the main story (16) and the battle system is fairly easy. I enjoyed it the most of the two I've played hands down and it sets up well for the direct sequel. However if you are going to play this, it would probably be advised to have watched the Utawarerumono anime from 2006. It covers the first game in the trilogy that we never got fairly well, which will help establish a lot of the stuff you come across in this game. I'm a decent sucker for games that do lore decently well since it's often shit in most games.

Summon Night Series - The series has gone downhill since 3 or 4, I can't remember which. However 5 was still better than most of the SRPGs we get these days since they're mostly pretty sub-par. I'm pretty sure 6 is mostly just a fanservice game for those who have played the series as they're bringing back a lot of characters from the past games. The gameplay is pretty interesting in 5 from what I remember, but I don't expect it to be particularly great in any way with regards to 6. Especially when compared to the Summon Night games we never got.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I cannot find on Amazon to buy Drive Girls and Aksys has no information since they announced they were bringing it to North America. Any help would be appreciated.
AFAIK, Drive Girls is digital-only in NA. If you want a physical version you have to import the Asian English version, which they have at Play-Asia and Heavy Arm.

AFAIK, Drive Girls is digital-only in NA. If you want a physical version you have to import the Asian English version, which they have at Play-Asia and Heavy Arm.
I was wondering about that, but I thought it was stated it would be physical as well, but maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.

That is a shame, I didn't see it specified as digital only in North America anywhere I looked, but given it is weeks away and see nothing physical it makes sense.

Had it been physical in NA I'd have bought it day one. I'll debate this for a while if I want digital NA or import an English physical version

For my fellow CAG's that are interested in buying a physical copy of Drive Girls PS Vita, a website called shop4america.com has the EU physical version for $27.99 shipped. I picked up a copy myself & for those wondering if this site is safe & legit, yes it 100% is. I always use PayPal to make payment & shipping is fairly quick considering it's coming from another continent. I bought Painkiller: Hell & Damnantion PS3 for $14.99 shipped & I bought Slain: Back from Hell PS4 for $19.99 shipped. Both arrived in about 2 weeks in perfect condition with no loose discs (even though I plan on opening both, eventually).

I figured this is a great deal considering we might not get a physical NA version & if we ever did it'd most likely be sold at a retail price of $39.99 & I have my doubts Best Buy would even carry it.

Link to EU version of Drive Girls PS Vita for $27.99 shipped :

https://www.shop4america.com/playstation-vita-games/drive-girls-ps-vita-game?gclid=CMey0szZjtUCFdxMDQoddlkIqQ

I was wondering about that, but I thought it was stated it would be physical as well, but maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.
I also remember reading that Aksys was putting out a physical version in the US.

Aksys has been good about physical Vita releases so I fully expect them to release it here, though it may be a few months later than digital.

I also remember reading that Aksys was putting out a physical version in the US.

Aksys has been good about physical Vita releases so I fully expect them to release it here, though it may be a few months later than digital.
Well Rising Star Games are based in the UK. They published a physical version of Lumo on PS Vita and that was EU only so maybe it's EU only for the physical release.

Holy Shit, Geese Howard from KOF is joining Tekken 7's roster.

Wow, some of these announcements are better than the ones at E3.

I remember Capcom saying they were sorry they didn't have an announcement after EVO last year, so there'll probably be one from them too after the SFV finals.

What a time we live in.

There's Street Fighter and King of Fighters characters in Tekken. Virtual Fighter and King of Fighters characters, as well as Blazblue and Guilty Gear costumes in Dead or Alive, and a Blazblue x Persona x Uniel fighting game.

oh shit, geese is about to wreck tekken
He ain't touching my bae Eliza.

I keep telling myself I should buy Tekken 7 but I got too many games to play right now. Maybe I will just CAG it when it hits $30 somewhere.

Kinda surprised over the Blazblue crossover game but, since it's Arc, I couldn't imagine it not being good. Although I never knew RBWY was that popular to be in an Arc game.

That is a shame, I didn't see it specified as digital only in North America anywhere I looked, but given it is weeks away and see nothing physical it makes sense.

Had it been physical in NA I'd have bought it day one. I'll debate this for a while if I want digital NA or import an English physical version
yeah they have been mute with announcing specifics, since it cant be ordered must be digital only to which if its full price, i will probably pass till it goes on sale, also a good place to check if a game is getting a physical is to check gamefly and see if they are getting any

i have given up hope, they will probably go digital only with school girls also, knew something wasnt right when xseed didnt at least pick up school girls

I dunno about you guys, but I can't get the Dissidia beta signup to work.  Login to the site from that page failed multiple times last night and again today. 

I dunno about you guys, but I can't get the Dissidia beta signup to work. Login to the site from that page failed multiple times last night and again today.
That's just Square site being incredibly shitty like its always been. After you mentioned it, I went and tried. I wasn't able to get it until I reset my password. Pretty sure I'm forced to do that more than half the time I try to sign into anything for them.

Granted I have no interest in Dissidia, so I'm bound to get in.

I dunno about you guys, but I can't get the Dissidia beta signup to work. Login to the site from that page failed multiple times last night and again today.
That's just Square site being incredibly shitty like its always been. After you mentioned it, I went and tried. I wasn't able to get it until I reset my password. Pretty sure I'm forced to do that more than half the time I try to sign into anything for them.
I was able to sign in just fine.

Granted I have no interest in Dissidia, so I'm bound to get in.
i had to reset my pass as well in order to get in.

I couldn't find a definitive statement on Drive Girls so I contacted Aksys and got this response.

"Preorders should go up soon. Look for a press release this week!"

Fake American Anime
A bit reductionist. It's a CGI animated series clearly heavily inspired by anime styles and tropes, that is produced in Austin, TX by Rooster-Teeth. Its original creator/writer was the internet-famous animator Monty Oum. (RIP) It's gained a decent amount of notoriety, partially for its interesting world-building, but mainly for Monty Oum's incredible fight-choreography animations. He was an amazing animator, and a lot of the action sequences he composed for Rooster-Teeth's various series are incredible to watch. The first few seasons of RWBY served as a showpiece for his skills.

How much you like the series is up to personal taste. I find it quite engaging, and have been following it for some time. The storytelling, characters, and subtle animations have improved significantly during the series 4-season run. The first two seasons were relatively broad and action-focused, with only occasional moments of subtlety. The writing has been improving steadily since the beginning of the third season. The latest 4th season saw a significant step-up in the quality of the facial animations and lip-syncing, and the general storytelling and writing was considerably more restrained. The pace of the show also became less hectic, with more moments of quiet between the action sequences.

Is Ruby the only character from the series going to appear in that crossover? Don't know much about the show. And does best buy normally remove listing for games not out yet? Was trying to find the pre order for Mary Skelter for PSVITA but apparently the product isn't for sale anymore.

Is Ruby the only character from the series going to appear in that crossover? Don't know much about the show. And does best buy normally remove listing for games not out yet? Was trying to find the pre order for Mary Skelter for PSVITA but apparently the product isn't for sale anymore.
I've seen it happen with a couple of things. I think those with less pre-orders sometimes do it. The Anima Gate of Memores LE disappeared before it was released, but people that had orders were fine.

It's just a guess, but maybe if pre-orders are low enough they don't intend to order more than that to sell and once they reach a cutoff date to tell the publisher how many they want they order that amount and pull the listing.

I'm waiting to see if IFI does an LE for it.

Although I never knew RBWY was that popular to be in an Arc game.
I really know nothing about RWBY, other than that it's spelled RWBY and pronounced like Ruby. Maybe EdJericho will know more since I don't think there's an anime out there he doesn't know about.

I do know that the director of Blazblue and Guilty Gear loves the series, since I think he's tweeted about it in the past, and also there has been RWBY themed platettes for characters in both BB and GG. I guess it's pretty popular since even my Gamestop sells little RWBY mini-figures. I don't know how good it looks, but the girl they showed in the trailer with the scythe seems pretty cool, looks a cross between White Rock Shooter and Ragna the Bloodedge.

Surprised no one else is excited about the Jubei news. He looks insanely cool in that trailer. Also, him as a standalone DLC character meant Aksys probably wasn't lying about no Blazblue Central Fiction Extend, and the original version is the last Blazblue game we will get. It also raises my hopes for the english voices DLC they promised.

Another thing that came to mind, now that Geese is in Tekken 7, I think it will be the 1st time in over 15 years that a King of Fighters character will fight a Street Fighter character (Akuma). The last time I remember was Capcom vs SNK 2, which was in 2001. Funny that it took a Tekken game of all things to bring the franchises together again, and it's not even a 2D fighter. I'm gonna guess the remaining guest character will be Ryu Hayabusa.

Tried every thing I can think of, from mobile, to desktop, different browsers, changing my password, and creating a new account.  Still can't find a way to load that captcha to login for dissidia.  I can log into my normal square enix account just fine.

Another thing that came to mind, now that Geese is in Tekken 7, I think it will be the 1st time in over 15 years that a King of Fighters character will fight a Street Fighter character (Akuma). The last time I remember was Capcom vs SNK 2, which was in 2001. Funny that it took a Tekken game of all things to bring the franchises together again, and it's not even a 2D fighter. I'm gonna guess the remaining guest character will be Ryu Hayabusa.
There was SNK vs. Capcom in 2003.

CoroCoro making a Splatoon anime

VxQjKfm.gif

I really know nothing about RWBY, other than that it's spelled RWBY and pronounced like Ruby. Maybe EdJericho will know more since I don't think there's an anime out there he doesn't know about.
I know nothing about RWBY aside from the seiyuu cast for the Japanese dub. I honestly never was interested in finding out what the series is about or watch / read it. Totally Spies is my favorite Fake Anime.

Glad to see Splatoon getting the love it deserves. I never really got into the first since I hardly played WiiU, but all of the beta's and the splatfest on Switch have been amazing so far.

Going back to buy the art book on my next payday, I heard nothing but good things about it.

I wasn't able to last night (even after resetting my password), but I finally was able to log in and sign up, so keep trying =)

Glad to see Splatoon getting the love it deserves. I never really got into the first since I hardly played WiiU, but all of the beta's and the splatfest on Switch have been amazing so far.

Going back to buy the art book on my next payday, I heard nothing but good things about it.
Splatoon is an odd series. It looks like a friendly shooter and you expect that because it's Nintendo, but it's actually pretty hardcore. Can't wait to dive in this weekend to Splatoon 2.

I think I tried watching like one episode of RBWY a long time ago and I was like this looks like low budget trash halfway through and never again watched another episode.

Splatoon is an odd series. It looks like a friendly shooter and you expect that because it's Nintendo, but it's actually pretty hardcore. Can't wait to dive in this weekend to Splatoon 2.
Was the exact reason it took me so long to try 1. I saw all the commercials and basic gameplay and it seemed so kiddy, then when I saw competitive stuff and all of the meta, I realize I made a huge mistake and got even more hype for a sequel

bread's done
Back