Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you serious? Those are cheeseburgers.
comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

If Japan ever trends away from bishoujo protagonists / fanservice games, or console games start going super DRM-heavy, I'll be happy I have the backlog then at least, but to say that I'm planning for something like that would just be lying to downplay a lack of self-control.
That's right. Backlogs are just stockpiles and rations for if the industry ever implodes and we need fun games to play!

cd4.gif

So I finally beat Yakuza Kiwami last night and have the Majima Everywhere in rank SSS. I kinda wanted to do 100% completion in the game, but that stupid Pocket Circuit minigame is so frustrating that I actually gave up lol.

So does anyone still refer to their backlog as their "Pile of shame?" I'm pretty sure I heard that term way back 10 or more years ago on this site and is my preferred term to the countless number of games I have that go unplayed lol.
It's not a pile of shame. It's a bookshelf of shame.

So I finally beat Yakuza Kiwami last night and have the Majima Everywhere in rank SSS. I kinda wanted to do 100% completion in the game, but that stupid Pocket Circuit minigame is so frustrating that I actually gave up lol.
It's not that hard, buy the extra parts from the pawn shop Especially the suspension heavy upgrade. use the red narrow wheels, unless there is grass than use spike. godspeed motor combo with the red powered gear set is what i used on the high end races. keep the car light, don't weigh it down.

It's not that hard, buy the extra parts from the pawn shop Especially the suspension heavy upgrade. use the red narrow wheels, unless there is grass than use spike. godspeed motor combo with the red powered gear set is what i used on the high end races. keep the car light, don't weigh it down.
I'm trying so hard :(

I find that final match against Majima to be even more difficult.... I'll give the game a break for now. I might come back to it later on.

Super excited for Chaos;Child. All my purchasing is officially put on a hold till a new job comes through. My September got a lot lighter at least hah.

Stupid Etrian Odyssey demo came out too early compared to the game. Played 12 hours and wish I could go to floor 4.
Got one of each class to cap, forged weapons to +5, killed all FOEs multiple times.
Restarted Grimrock to scratch the itch, but it's so damn easy.

Okay....now you're just rubbing it in that I thought Xseed was working on Sen III aren't you? :whistle2:(

:lol:

As far as Ys Memories of Celceta goes, it took me almost 60 hours to get through it. That is however getting most of the trophies (I gave up because...eff the extra grinding) and a lot of XP grinding. And all the side quests that frankly were boring. That swamp area with these giant monsters...man those really handed out tons of XP when you killed them. Was worth it too; made the last dungeons and the last boss pretty easy to breeze through. Hint: Last boss - run around in circles, hit a few times, repeat until dead. Sure it takes like 10 minutes but at least it's easy.

Ys VIII still has a lot of "run, slash, repeat" but at least I feel it's a tad harder. Bosses seem to hit harder even on normal. I'm only five hours in but I think I'm gonna enjoy Ys VIII a lot. Now if only the PC version will come out... Oh well, more time for me to play more Destiny 2 (campaign was better than 1 at least).

I need to figure out what I'm going to play next. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is really tempting, but I'd like to play that with someone yet the usual people I would play with aren't buying it anytime soon. I enjoyed the demo for Monster Hunter Stories so that's tempting, although I'm not quite feeling like going through that now. I don't want to touch Blue Reflection on launch after getting burned a little bit on Nights of Azure by buying it early.

Stupid Etrian Odyssey demo came out too early compared to the game. Played 12 hours and wish I could go to floor 4.
Got one of each class to cap, forged weapons to +5, killed all FOEs multiple times. Restarted Grimrock to scratch the itch, but it's so damn easy.
Yeah, Grimrock doesn't have that high of a difficulty due to how you are able to move in combat. It's more of a puzzle and secrets game than for combat alone like Etrian Odyssey. Though I liked Grimrock 2 a whole lot more than the original. You might try Lords of Xulima if you're wanting something with a little bit of challenge combat wise. It's not a First-Person Dungeon RPG though.

I'm playing project xzone 1 right now myself.  My backlog thankfully pales to others here.  just a little over 100 games.  Majority are rpgs though So I am lucky if I finish more than ten a year.

I also like someone's tip from here, I think it was BRW, to just every now and then go through your collection and flip through art books, etc. I used to leave stuff sealed until I played it "that way in case I decide to sell it I could sell it for more", but it's so much better to just open stuff and enjoy it even if it's only for an hour.
Ha ha, thanks! I think I did say something like that.

I've opened almost every CE I have, and even if I don't wind up playing the games, I still look through art books, listen to CDs, put up the posters/wall scrolls, and display the figures. I've even worn the T-shirts, boxers, helmets, used the pillow cases, mouse pads, etc. I'm a bit different from most though, I get really attached to things, especially CEs from series I love, so even if I have the chance to make a profit, I wouldn't sell it. Like if I was offered $1000 for the P5 CE, I'd still keep it.

Art books are great though, since there's art that's not in the game, like rough sketches, or special promo CGs, so that's always a blast to flip through. And listening to a soundtrack gives you nostalgia of a game you've beat. So I always advocate opening CEs and enjoying the contents.

As for my backlog, I've recently changed my stance on it. There's no way I'll be able to play through all the games I've bought, and a lot of them I got from sales I have no interest in playing. And there's also a ton of games I haven't bought yet that I want to get to. So my backlog is just a list of great or interesting games I need to get to, whether I have them or not, like GOTY nominees and stuff. There's too many great games coming now in such short intervals, I can't afford to waste my time playing a game I don't like and have no interest in just because I bought it for cheap.

Like if I was offered $1000 for the P5 CE, I'd still keep it.

As for my backlog, I've recently changed my stance on it. There's no way I'll be able to play through all the games I've bought, and a lot of them I got from sales I have no interest in playing. And there's also a ton of games I haven't bought yet that I want to get to. So my backlog is just a list of great or interesting games I need to get to, whether I have them or not, like GOTY nominees and stuff. There's too many great games coming now in such short intervals, I can't afford to waste my time playing a game I don't like and have no interest in just because I bought it for cheap.
I'm with you on both points. Assuming I didn't pay a lot for the CE in the first place. Like I got the Re;Birth 1 LE for $58 or whatever it was, but I won't sell it just because it can sell for $500 (not sure if it still does). But I didn't get Panzer Dragoon Saga for super cheap, and I wasn't super attached to it either, so I eventually sold it.

And yeah, you're only screwing yourself over if you force yourself to play something you have when there's something else you'd rather play more. Control your budget if it's important to your other goals, but unless that "I only have 1 game to play" feeling you had as a kid is the feeling you want more than anything - just enjoy being an adult and having access to the things you want (and stop wasting time worrying about not having enough time, that's not how you get more free time)

I think people just have to learn to drop things that aren't as enjoyable and try to do things they like more. I hear people say like oh once I start an anime I must watch all of it. If I did that I would have spent countless hours watching some horrible anime.

It's a bit more disappointing with digital games, but for physical games, if you don't like it you can always just sell it or donate it or something.

Also if you're not enjoying something, taking a break is also a good thing too. I gave up anime for a year or so and it did wonders for me. I've gone through so many phases like comic reading, book reading, movie watching, kdrama watching...whatever. I generally always go back to book reading, video games, and anime. It's all about having fun, and if it's not fun anymore, why keep doing it?

i usually give an anime 3 eps to win me over or i drop that bitch.
i also give games 2 or 3hrs to tell if i like it. I've dropped some highly praised games cause i just didn't find them fun. but at the same time found out i loved a mediocre reviewed game like it was goty.

recently i really liked Arcania, a wrpg i got from the humble bundle with mediocre to bad graphics/voice acting, but i found it so fun.
Other hand i hated hated Life is strange.

I dropped Date-a-Live like 1.5 episodes in. I love the character designs, but it's such a harem cringefest.
To me, it was the most bearable out of all the harems I've watched. Infinite Stratos made me want to rip my head off. Sora no Otoshimono was good, but way too long and sidetracked.

But if you've only made it through 1.5 episodes, you haven't seen Kurumi yet. Which in my opinion is the best thing about the show and what redeems it. In fact, just Kurumi alone makes the show great.

f1b1229adc0fe787d2d4da2571be22a7f33a1b33_hq.gif

My gripe is that my favorite girl/best girl never wins in the end. Like Kurumi, like Lingyin, like Ikaros.

To me, it was the most bearable out of all the harems I've watched. Infinite Stratos made me want to rip my head off. Sora no Otoshimono was good, but way too long and sidetracked.

But if you've only made it through 1.5 episodes, you haven't seen Kurumi yet. Which in my opinion is the best thing about the show and what redeems it. In fact, just Kurumi alone makes the show great.

f1b1229adc0fe787d2d4da2571be22a7f33a1b33_hq.gif

My gripe is that my favorite girl/best girl never wins in the end. Like Kurumi, like Lingyin, like Ikaros.
They win in the way of not ending up in a relationship with a super generic character.

Gaming checklist:

✓Cute girls

✓Ecchi

✓Well drawn

✓Fun

Anime checklist:

✓Cute girls

✓Ecchi

✓Well drawn

✓Fun

tumblr_ns1xz4oo8P1uusym1o1_500.gif

I think people just have to learn to drop things that aren't as enjoyable and try to do things they like more. I hear people say like oh once I start an anime I must watch all of it. If I did that I would have spent countless hours watching some horrible anime.
kurumi is truly a wonderful character
And that's why people end up finishing anime they don't like.

They win in the way of not ending up in a relationship with a super generic character.
lame bitchboy male protagonists are the worst part of all of these shows.

then a bunch of hot anime girls inexplicably fall for the loser guy.

A Kirito type is practically refreshing, in new shows.

It's a bit more disappointing with digital games, but for physical games, if you don't like it you can always just sell it or donate it or something.

Also if you're not enjoying something, taking a break is also a good thing too. I gave up anime for a year or so and it did wonders for me. I've gone through so many phases like comic reading, book reading, movie watching, kdrama watching...whatever. I generally always go back to book reading, video games, and anime. It's all about having fun, and if it's not fun anymore, why keep doing it?
Yeah I don't bother to finish games if I outright hate them these days. Anime wise even if I don't like it I just put it on in the background while I type this message.

I dropped Date-a-Live like 1.5 episodes in. I love the character designs, but it's such a harem cringefest.
Peach girl I lasted 2 minutes 48 seconds. It was that bad.

I was with you until the Kirito part.
Same. Though I'd say kirito minus author favoritism isn't any different from the usual harem protagonist.

Same. Though I'd say kirito minus author favoritism isn't any different from the usual harem protagonist.
I think he's worse than the typical generic guy in harems because he is that person except he's also an otaku which is pandering even harder than the typical generic protagonist.

lame bitchboy male protagonists are the worst part of all of these shows.
I'm gonna guess they make the protagonist lame on purpose to appeal to the general fanbase/otakus that watch it. So maybe they can relate to the main character and have dreams being surrounded by tons of waifus that heed their every word. If they make the main character too charming and have too many good attributes, they run the risk of making him seem like a villain. Like the P5 protag had a tint of a villianish vibe to me.

I think he's worse than the typical generic guy in harems because he is that person except he's also an otaku which is pandering even harder than the typical generic protagonist.
Honestly, the thing I hate most about Kirito is that he's technically married but yet still has a harem. You think after marriage that would be it right? To Asuna no less.

Hmmm, isn't this supposed to be Gal Gun 3, since Double Peace was 2, and the original Gal Gun was 1? I guess they ignored the one not localized. This is like FF3 being FF6, or Rocky 2 First Blood Part III. Or maybe Double Peace was just a spin off.

Honestly, the thing I hate most about Kirito is that he's technically married but yet still has a harem. You think after marriage that would be it right? To Asuna no less.
I dislike Kirito because there's nothing unique about him except he's (apparently) rly good at video games and because of that everybody is in love with him, including his sister.

I dislike Kirito because there's nothing unique about him except he's (apparently) rly good at video games and because of that everybody is in love with him, including his sister.
I hate the fact that Kirito is basically a god at everything he touches. Ingame he can solo raid contents that dozens of the best other players can barely handle, beat the best players consistently (Aside from Yuuki who decimated his bitch ass), and in the real world he's some godly coder/computer science wiz who can create magical devices to allow his creepy virtual daughter to interact with the real world and other bullshit.

He's not an interesting character, he has no interesting past, and no interesting trait. Yet somehow everyone falls in love with him, and his bitch ass wife lets him walk around with a harem of girls constantly "tripping" boob or ass first on his face.

He even managed to ruin one of the most interesting characters, Sinon.

Kirito is better than the guy from the Smartphone from Another World
Couldn't say because I would never watch a series with that kind of name, but I doubt it.

I hate the fact that Kirito is basically a god at everything he touches. Ingame he can solo raid contents that dozens of the best other players can barely handle, beat the best players consistently (Aside from Yuuki who decimated his bitch ass), and in the real world he's some godly coder/computer science wiz who can create magical devices to allow his creepy virtual daughter to interact with the real world and other bullshit.

He's not an interesting character, he has no interesting past, and no interesting trait. Yet somehow everyone falls in love with him, and his bitch ass wife lets him walk around with a harem of girls constantly "tripping" boob or ass first on his face.

He even managed to ruin one of the most interesting characters, Sinon.
He's a shit tier character for sure. Like he gets killed in the game but then tries really hard and comes back to life...that's not how games work. He always wins and it makes absolutely no sense.

Can't say anything about Sinon. I didn't watch season 2 because...why would I? Kirito is in it.

Couldn't say because I would never watch a series with that kind of name, but I doubt it.

He's a shit tier character for sure. Like he gets killed in the game but then tries really hard and comes back to life...that's not how games work. He always wins and it makes absolutely no sense.

Can't say anything about Sinon. I didn't watch season 2 because...why would I? Kirito is in it.
Just like Season 1, it starts off good then goes to shit, then somehow ends with what is by far one of the best arcs of the first 2 seasons (Mostly because it focuses on Asuna and a new group of players, and its really emotional)

I still get kinda butthurt with how he beat SAO, he was dead, then not because he really didnt want to die, then he wins. What? Not to mention Yui basically hacking ingame for him too and giving him and his friends an unfair advantage. (Like somehow carrying over ALL his shit into Alfheim)

I'm playing it and loving it. It looks the best, plays the best, sounds the best, and has the best story of all the current gen of Ys console games IMO.
I have many of the other Ys games on Steam but none that I've tried have grabbed me like Ys VIII. After almost 40 hours on Hard, the only bad things I can say about the game are the graphics, such as the water, aren't so good in certain spots and a few of the boss fights were a little irritating. It's definitely on my short list for GOTY.

I need to figure out what I'm going to play next. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is really tempting, but I'd like to play that with someone yet the usual people I would play with aren't buying it anytime soon. I enjoyed the demo for Monster Hunter Stories so that's tempting, although I'm not quite feeling like going through that now. I don't want to touch Blue Reflection on launch after getting burned a little bit on Nights of Azure by buying it early.

Yeah, Grimrock doesn't have that high of a difficulty due to how you are able to move in combat. It's more of a puzzle and secrets game than for combat alone like Etrian Odyssey. Though I liked Grimrock 2 a whole lot more than the original. You might try Lords of Xulima if you're wanting something with a little bit of challenge combat wise. It's not a First-Person Dungeon RPG though.
I've got Original Sin 2 but I haven't played much of it mainly due to how strong of a grip Ys VIII has on me. I'm also actually not sure if complicated games like OS 2 are my thing anymore. I used to love Baldur's Gate and the like back in the day but now I would rather just sit back with a controller and play something less involved. I did really enjoy Lords of Xulima though.

bread's done
Back