Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont mind digital only though. It seems digital is not coming west? Am I reading this right?
It's a shame but they've been doing that for Blue Reflection and Nights of Azure vita releases too. Pretty mean of them to not at least let the mysterious trilogy finish up on the vita though.

I'm cool as long as they give me PC.

Groupees is doing some interesting bundles.

Feels like it's been years since the last good groupees bundle.

JASTUSA #4 $6.25 each game

Lightning Warrior Raidy

Lightning Warrior Raidy II: Temple of Desire

Kana ~ Okaeri

Princess Waltz

Fruitbat Factory Bundle

$2

War of the Human Tanks

Sound of the Human Tanks(OST for War of the Human Tanks)

100% Orange Juice

$7

QP Shooting - Dangerous!!

200% Mixed Juice!

Neko Navy

ManaCollect

War of the Human Tanks - Limited Operations

$25

Lionheart

Enigma:

Miniature Garden

Magical Eyes - Red is for Anguish

Sora

$30 - Sold Out

SeaBed

There are also bonuses if they sell a certain number of bundles(they are at 949 bundles sold at the time of this writing)

1,500 bundles - 100% Orange Juice - Acceleration Pack

3,000 bundles - 100% Orange Juice - Sham & Sherry Character Pack

4,000 bundles - RE:HT - War of the Human Tanks Remix Album

It's a shame but they've been doing that for Blue Reflection and Nights of Azure vita releases too. Pretty mean of them to not at least let the mysterious trilogy finish up on the vita though.
Hamburgers.

Guess I will just it import it with Blue Reflection Vita then, since I will most definitely import Blue Reflection on the Vita.

That's an odd button arrangement.
That's the arcade controller layout it's emulating. You can choose to either change the button config in the game or actually move the buttons around in the controller if you so choose.

I for one can't wait till they don't have to do cross PS4/Vita releases. Maybe it's just me, but I'd wish they concentrate development on just PS4/PC for niche games, except simpler ones like VNs, dungeon RPGs, or things like that.
Same. The Vita is 6 years old now and it's purely sustain by the JP and niche crowd imo. The Switch will probably hasten it's demise...

Hamburgers.

Guess I will just it import it with Blue Reflection Vita then, since I will most definitely import Blue Reflection on the Vita.
Anybody else that also want to import these Vita titles, feel free to PM me and you can maybe piggyback on my shipment.

Hmm...seems like the Vita version didnt even make the Asian version. So only Japan.

You can't expect adults to appeal to the Japanese.
ab8cbab20da1636fd809910550dc2159--character-art-character-design.jpg

RIP

"It's totally fine because she's like 500 years old okay?" is one of my favorite things in anime and manga. 

Tiki_artwork_Cipher_TCG.png

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet launches February 8 in Japan

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Gets New Trailer Revealing Custom Hero and New Waifus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5vAhd1VEto

Code Vein Reveals its Dark Story with Spectacular New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOn4zW9xGNE

Final Fantasy XV “Comrades” Multiplayer Expansion Gets New Gameplay Showing King Behemoth Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWemMaVfef4

Final Fantasy XV Will Receive More Content in 2018

Dynasty Warriors 9’s Open World Map Revealed, and it’s Really Massive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tz8TG40q4w

Lost Sphear demo out in Japan next week, original soundtrack coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70CotZSdcY

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 3DS footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zusx_FEDnT8

Attack on Titan 2 Revealed For PS4, PS Vita, Switch, And PC, Releases Early 2018 In Japan

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation debut trailer, more details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0E2y1woa0A

Fire Emblem Warriors Reveals Tiki and Caeda with New Trailer and Screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkzW1qNiRI

The Idolmaster: Stella Stage reveals new idol Shiika

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 special stage: more character and Palico creation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVdncFjKns

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate TGS 2017 demo off-screen gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vmwfREiDo

Watch Yamcha And Tien’s Introduction Trailers For Dragon Ball FighterZ

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Core Fighters tops 10 million downloads

Shin Megami Tensei’s New Game On Switch Will Get More Info On October 23, 2017

The live stream for Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match game play happened earlier. It featured seiyuus Mai Fuchigami (Miho Nishizumi), Mami Ozaki (Hana Isuzu), and Kana Ueda (Momo Kawashima) playing the game which begins at the 26:20, 30:45, and 33:25 marks showing them take a tour around one of the map locations followed by a 4 player split screen match at the 47:53 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugr-ebHArw

Fun Fact: Kana Ueda has participated in EVO in the past and got 3rd place in Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost during 2016.

Fun Fact 2: Mai Fuchigami has one of the cutest bunny buck teeth, but she still loses to Felicity Jones.

So remember when I said Vigilante and Vic were Trophy kings? Well if they are kings, then Supplice is a Trophy god. I actually thought it was a glitch when I first saw his trophy level. He's level 72 with over 400 platinums. I've never seen someone's level so high, he has more platinums than I have games. Kneel before Supplice.

Also, anyone notice a strange trend of weird public transit incidents lately? There was one in NY, then I saw one similar in a foreign news channel. Both incidents had a bus driver drive straight full speed into pedestrians/cars without trying to break. The reason for both were also unexplained and had no motive. Other similar incidents popped up when I went to look it up. Reminds me of the Mental Shutdowns from Persona 5...

So remember when I said Vigilante and Vic were Trophy kings? Well if they are kings, then Supplice is a Trophy god. I actually thought it was a glitch when I first saw his trophy level. He's level 72 with over 400 platinums. I've never seen someone's level so high, he has more platinums than I have games. Kneel before Supplice.

Also, anyone notice a strange trend of weird public transit incidents lately? There was one in NY, then I saw one similar in a foreign news channel. Both incidents had a bus driver drive straight full speed into pedestrians/cars without trying to break. The reason for both were also unexplained and had no motive. Other similar incidents popped up when I went to look it up. Reminds me of the Mental Shutdowns from Persona 5...
If the sky starts raining blood and people start disappearing, I'll let you know.

My review/thoughts on Utawarerumono: The Mask of Truth (With a fair bit of Mask of Deception in there):

Utawarerumono is an old game that started back in 2002 on PC and has now spawned a series within its world. The two new games, Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth are not direct sequels of the original title. However they both have very close lore and character ties to the first game and should you ever be interested in playing these two games, I would highly recommend checking out prior to these two titles. You have a couple options regarding the original game that was never localized. First, you can play the original 18+ PC adult version using a fan translation that exists, but I do not recommend it. Why? It's mainly due to the battle system being extremely basic, boring and grindy as shit. I tried it about ten years ago or so and dropped it because of that combined with the ridiculous amount of sex scenes in it that weren't really my thing. Besides the original PC version, you have a 26 episode anime that aired in 2006 which covers the story pretty well. There may also be a fan translation applied to the port of the game to the PS2 or PSP where it had the battle system redone by the developer, Sting.

I realize that I'm asking a commitment before even touching the two latest games, but the lore is quite expansive and I felt it really enhances the experience. If you haven't realized by now, I'm completely recommending the game to anybody who wants a good fantasy/sci-fi story theme mix. You can of course play them without even touching the first game, but there are a lot of lore you'll be missing out on that will help explain some scenes, particularly in the second game. That isn't to say they aren't explained in this game though. Do not in any circumstance watch the recent Utawarerumono anime that covers Mask of Deception. It covers quite a bit of the slice-of-life element, but completely butchers any story and if you watched that then skipped to Mask of Truth, you'd have very little idea what the fuck is going on.

The story in Deception & Truth are the big draws for me having played/seen the original and they didn't let me down in this duology. It did well setting things up, piecing things together and keeping information compartmentalized within rationality. Since this is a visual novel first you'll have a lot of text. Much of which will take place with slice-of-life type events. I won't sugarcoat it that you should suck it up and plow through it if you don't like slice-of-life type interactions on a semi-frequent basis. Much of the scenes do well to really help established and further characters and how they interact with each other and various situations. I'd even go as far as saying that the story itself is better told than a Trails game which I rate very highly. However Trails does do some things better than Utawarerumono does despite the praise I give. Mostly this is due to the cues that Trails throws at you while advancing multiple plotlines across its various sub-series. It's kind of hard to compete on that front when you aren't going to have more than 2 games.

Even so, Utawarerumono shows itself with strong writing in both the story and character development. It still has many Japanese traits to it that I'm not particularly fond of, but they handle it in a manner that is significantly far more acceptable to me than damn near every other game I've played in recent memory bar Trails. Particularly the meloncholy parts of the second game which I can't comment on further because it's super easy to spoil as I'm usually very critical of those parts as they often detach me from the game as they're done in an overly dramatic, not very realistic fashion. The story also doesn't really serve some kind of serious dramatic undertone like Persona or Nier either which is refereshing.

Out of the entire game I think I had one real issue with the story. That would be with the part involving the war. I mentioned this after I completed the game originally, but I feel like something was missing that's hard to put my finger on. It fit into the story well, but it wasn't really compelling to me in a way I would've liked. On the other hand if they put it in a more compelling way, I don't think it would have fit with the narrative. I just feel conflicted and I'm not sure there's anything I'll be able to do about that.

Characters on the other hand were also great. You've got a fairly large playable cast since it's also an SRPG on top of being a Visual Novel. As the game progresses you get to really see characters grow over time, which was done really nicely without any real abrupt bipolar changes that some games seem to have without proper subtle buildup. While they can be quite archetype/trope worthy, I didn't feel anybody was particularly too one-dimensional, including the side characters that aren't party members at all. They all played their parts pretty believably, even if some of them were just batshit crazy or stupid.

The translation further helped this being pretty well done. Although I think they overdid it with using larger words a bit too frequently when I didn't think that Japanese voice overs were saying it quite the same. I know I had some issues with the first game, but the second seems better all around in that regard without anything that I can remember being super glaring. I also want to give whoever did the translation for Shinonon a gold star. Their dialogue was pretty golden throughout both games. Most everything is voiced in Japanese, which is pretty crazy considering the huge amount of dialogue this game has.

Now the battle system is actually better than what I originally thought it was in Mask of Deception. It's more that Deception did not properly explain various mechanics and the second game does a better job of that due to the addition of trial maps where you complete objectives in specific ways. I felt it really enhanced my enjoyment of the battles having learned how things properly work. Plus you've got a couple new additions to the system that made it a bit more enjoyable as well. The difficulty was a bit better than Deception as well, but I still feel that normal difficulty wasn't that difficult. So if you're a more seasoned person I'd definitely recommend starting on hard.

For the most part though, the battle system is your standard strategy rpg. Characters with longer weapons, such as a spear, will be able to attack multiple tiles ahead and even pierce through enemies. However unlike typical SRPGs, you have several attacks to choose from that will grow into longer combos as you level up. I'll use Atuy/Atui as an example as she has two primary combos. The first one is you can hit anything 2 or 3 tiles away that are adjacent to her character. That attack pierces and can hit enemies behind the original target further along the combo chain. For the most part, these attacks will all produce Zeal for the character, but the last combo move will move the character up a space, putting them next to who you're attacking. This can be a problem if you enter a character with a zone of control (ZOC). What that means is that when their next turn arrives, you won't be able to move the character out of the ZOC unless they have an ability that allows them to do that. So they're stuck there either doing nothing or performing a different combo. In Atuy's case, she has a second combo that will hit an enemy directly next to her and allow her to jump back a space so she's out of the enemies ZOC. Then if since she hasn't moved yet, she can then move somewhere else before ending her turn.

Besides that, you have the ability to 'rewind' turns all the way back to the beginning of battle. While some people will feel this makes things too easy, I'd say that the game is set more for telling a story than having difficult combat. It's a welcome addition that is nice because SRPG battles tend to take longer and if you do happen to fail, you flub the entire time you spent which can be rather hefty. I don't mind losing, but I don't like losing a whole lot of time/progress that I've already made. The other thing I want to mention is that the battles are pretty active for the player. Every combo hit requires precise quick-time events on hitting X or holding X then letting go. If you hit the time right, you get a critical hit. This produces extra zeal for every critical you hit as well as extra damage or healing. If you completely flub the combo hit, you can end your combo then and there. You'd have to really screw up to end the combo right there though.

For the final bit of the battle system, they don't really tell you outside of trials. That would be hidden criticals. Anytime a character hits an enemy outside of the normal quick-time button pushes or holding, you can hit X to produce a hidden critical if you're timing is right. This only produces a minor increase in damage, but the important part is that it produces even more extra zeal for your character. I've been mentioning zeal for a while, so I should probably explain. Zeal is basically your bar (0-100) until you go overzeal (think adrenaline rush). The moment you go overzeal, you get a turn on that character. This means if you get overzeal by critically defending an enemy, you can suddenly get a turn. Most of the time though, it will happen after you've finished an attack against an enemy. During overzeal you're slightly buffed and can perform finishing moves, co-op combos and co-op finsihing moves which will enhance the amount of damage you can deal. However simply attacking with your best move isn't always the best way to get into overzeal. Some attacks in a combo or move will consume zeal instead. The nice thing about that is you can turn off everything after a certain combo before you attack so that you only get the first 1 or 2 attacks of a combo in. Alternatively some zeal loss can be negated by hitting a critical with the attack, but some just consume too much.

It gives you a fair amount to think about in battle as you progress through the game and gain more options. Outside of battle you don't really have any equipment you need to purchase. The only thing you can equip on characters are scrolls and codecs. Codecs are permanent passives such as immunity to a status effect, more move/jump stat or even ignoring enemy ZOCs. Scrolls on the other hand are more active combat abilities. Most of which have to do with defense. Examples of those would be a 'Scroll of Physical Defense I' where you have a 60% chance to be able to defend an attack 2 times in a battle. They renew after every battle and there are some with infinite activations, but the activation chance on those is much lower (10-30%). These items are gained by completing battles through the story as well as importing all the ones you gained in Mask of Deception. So if you do the extra battle content in the first game and then transfer, you will gain more items to be able to equip your characters with. I did not do any of the extra battles from the first game, so I only received what I gained through the story.

In closing, I really enjoyed the game and is one of the better games I've played in the last decade or so at the very least. With it being pretty heavy on the Visual Novel side, I can see many people not really getting into it as you do not get a ton battles throughout the story like a typical SRPG would. I think the first game only had 16 or so prior to the post-game battles. The second one felt like a little more, but not that much more. Mostly what made it feel like more were battles where you'd complete the objective, but then new enemies would spawn in and the objective would change suddenly while your characters are left in the same place they were when they completed the original objective. Besides that, you'll have a lot of slice-of-life parts, particularly in Mask of Deception where you feel like the story isn't advancing at the pace you want. So long as you can deal with those, this is a game I highly recommend trying out at some point. Just be prepared to put in a lot of time if you let the dialogue auto-advance and don't read-skip through it.

Wasn't sure how long it'd turn out, but at 2,279 words it's one of my longer ones. I don't think I did much back editing, so it shouldn't feel particularly jumpy. I guess I should pre-write my Sunday release list so I don't hate myself doing it in the morning.

That's the arcade controller layout it's emulating. You can choose to either change the button config in the game or actually move the buttons around in the controller if you so choose.
Yeah, I figured it is probably the same in the arcade. It's just odd that they spread the arrows and buttons out instead of putting them together, especially when they are already in two standard 4 button layouts. Nice that you can move them around, though I imagine you can't in the arcade

Week 5 of the release bonanza or week 4 for Japanese niche only releases. Pretty heavy console week this week, especially for this thread. Western release wise it's not particularly big with only really FIFA 18 and Pinball FX3. I know I'm looking forward to the reviews on Cuphead and hopefully it'll come to PS4 at some point.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- 麻将VR (Mahjong / Chinese Only)
- The Coma: Recut (Adventure)

Weekly Releases (September 24th - September 30th)

Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Blue Reflection
- Platform(s): PS4, PC

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Demo: Yes.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.

Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Seems to be releasing, but CE pre-orders might be slightly delayed based on recent Gaijinworks tweet. Possible next week or the week after though to make sure it releases along side the CEs. Sony has it listed for this week.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
- Genre: Survival Horror
- Comments: Korean dev.

Gundam Versus
- Genre: Third-Person / Action

The Girl and the Robot
- Genre: Adventure / Action / RPG
- Comments: Canadian dev. Previously released on PC.

Pharaonic
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Sidescroller / Action RPG
- Comments: Spanish Dev.

SteamWorld Dig 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Not Japanese. Released on PC last week. Cross-buy.

Light Tracer
- Platform(s): PSVR
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Koi
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Adventure / Exploration
- Comments: Chinese dev. Previously released on PS4.

Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Digital only. Original Mario Bros., not Super Mario Bros.

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Previously released on PC & PS4.

Cuphead
- Platform(s): XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Here's hoping it turns out good.

Elisa: Seduce the Innkeeper
- Platform(s): PC
- Comments: Not Japanese. Likely has an 18+ version.

GALACTIC FIELD 银河领域
- Genre: Strategy

Kilmonger
- Comments: Russian Dev.

River City Melee : Battle Royal Special
- Genre: 2D Brawler

战术狂想1
- Genre: Strategy

Learn (Japanese) Kana The Fun Way!
- Genre: Learning / Puzzle

LEGRAND LEGACY: Tale of the Fatebounds
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Kickstarter game.

Carpe Diem: Reboot
- Comments: Original was free to play, this is a direct sequel.

Past Releases
September 17th - September 23rd
September 10th - September 16th
September 3rd - September 9th
August 27th - September 2nd
August 20th - August 26th

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system?  Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.

I really want to be sold on the naruto strikers but there is something clunky about the gameplay. I’m hoping it’s just because those playing are garbage and not the game itself. I’ll pick it up if I see better videos.

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system? Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.
Really likely need to put what system you're looking out for. I'd recommend something like IA/VT Colorful for Vita. Likely most things like shmups and rhythm games are gold. RPGs unless they have translation guides are harder to really enjoy. VNs likely the same.

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system? Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.
Like nitrosmob said, IA/VT Colorful for the Vita is a must have, it's my pick for best Vita and best Rhythm game. Main menus are in English, and it's easy to navigate and understand.

I'm going to assume you're mostly looking for Playstation games since they are region free and dominant there. PS4 has a couple of Fighting Games only in Japan, like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition, Blade Arcus, and Kohime Enbu. The latter 2 are also available on Steam, but in case you want a physical copy, and they are fighting games so it's easy to understand/play.

Other games I'm not too familiar with include Miracle Girls Festival, the Love Live games, the Taiko Drum series, and the original Gal Gun, which all should be easy to play even without knowing Japanese.

Do you guys see Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming to the USA anytime soon? I know Yakuza 0 did pretty well in the US, but I'm not sure how Yakuza Kiwami is doing. I see plenty of copies of Yakuza Kiwami at my Best Buy. I hope Yakuza 6 does well

i hope the doa dlc gets a fire sale discount finally, but judging what happened with the attack on titan & fairy tale dlc i won't keep my hopes up.

other than IA i feel like almost every japanese game is getting eventually localized this generation.

Do you guys see Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming to the USA anytime soon? I know Yakuza 0 did pretty well in the US, but I'm not sure how Yakuza Kiwami is doing. I see plenty of copies of Yakuza Kiwami at my Best Buy. I hope Yakuza 6 does well
After Y6 yeah, Y2 is regarded extremely highly in the series, along with Y0. So I'd expect them to bring it over at some point. Meanwhile with Kiwami, I'm enjoying it but it's nothing incredible. Majima's pretty hilarious though

After Y6 yeah, Y2 is regarded extremely highly in the series, along with Y0. So I'd expect them to bring it over at some point. Meanwhile with Kiwami, I'm enjoying it but it's nothing incredible. Majima's pretty hilarious though
Can't wait to play it again. I played the original on the ps2 but haven't gotten around to playing Kiwami. I'm so glad SEGA is bringing them over to the US. Just crossing my fingers for a Yakuza 5 physical release or at least a rerelease of Yakuza 3-5 on the ps4

Really likely need to put what system you're looking out for. I'd recommend something like IA/VT Colorful for Vita. Likely most things like shmups and rhythm games are gold. RPGs unless they have translation guides are harder to really enjoy. VNs likely the same.
I have a PS3, PS4, and PSVita. I would be willing to get some Japaese consoles, too. Going to be here awhile.

Yeah, they are all Region Free. There's only 1 game I know isn't Region Free, and it's Persona 4 Arena if I remember correctly, since they couldn't release it in Europe or something and delayed it for a while. They did eventually release it there with a bonus Vinyl Soundtrack though.

Got my Danganronpa V3 CE today. The bag has some scratch marks on the clasp and the hat has a few tears. I'm not sure if this is intended or not
S61ObrB.jpg
WvAwu9N.jpg

It's hard to get the scratches on a photo...

=/

Yeah, they are all Region Free. There's only 1 game I know isn't Region Free, and it's Persona 4 Arena if I remember correctly, since they couldn't release it in Europe or something and delayed it for a while. They did eventually release it there with a bonus Vinyl Soundtrack though.
Persona 4 Arena was region locked to prevent reverse importation since the US and JPN release was so close to each other and our version was a lot cheaper.

bread's done
Back