Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Buy just had a bunch of listing mistakes last week with preorder DLC on physical copies being shown as the full game. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It would be so perfect on my Vita, been waiting and prayer for it. Yet that is the version that is not localized.

I would be beyond surprised if this goes physical, and I would gladly shelve my recently bought vanilla. But my guess is that like Stranger of Sword City or Valkyrie Drive, the enhanced version would be digital only.

Speaking of Vita DRGPs, really loving Mary Skelter, and it is definitely at DT2 levels of enjoyment for me.
Glad someone else has a fondness for the Vita. Its my most collected console and I tend to order from Play-Asia, and LimitedRunGames, because they offer a Vita version. Glad to hear Mary Skelter is good. I really enjoyed DT2 and was hoping to get DT2-2 on Vita as well. I wonder how much longer the Vita will continue to get these wonderful niche games.

Don't know if this was ever not-free, but just got an email from Aksys regarding their Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Complete DLC Collection.

FREE DLC Bundle for a Limited Time!
Download the Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Complete DLC Collection bundle from the PlayStation Network (PSN) for Tokyo Xanadu until Monday, Feb 19 for FREE!
DLC Bundle contains all 39 pieces of additional content from the original PlayStation®Vita system version of 'Tokyo Xanadu' that can now be enjoyed on the PlayStation®4 system.
Includes all character's 'S Wear', all attachments, and NiAR wallpapers
Thanks for posting this! I’m going to give this a download later today. I don’t actually have the game yet, but when it drops to $20 I’ll give it a buy.

Thanks for posting this! I’m going to give this a download later today. I don’t actually have the game yet, but when it drops to $20 I’ll give it a buy.
This is more or less where I am at with this game too. Currently working on Y's VIII so not in any real rush to get it but don't want to let it fall off my radar.

Best Buy always cancels in these situations
Tell that to all the people who got $800 phones for $100. I think BB has gotten smarter or at least less lenient. But honestly, it’s not a problem that they canceled. If I’d gotten it, yay, but I’m not losing anything by not.

Finally picked up enough Kirin research to reveal weaknesses. Turns out I was using a weak bow with entirely the wrong element this whole time.

Don't know if this was ever not-free, but just got an email from Aksys regarding their Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Complete DLC Collection.

FREE DLC Bundle for a Limited Time!
Download the Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Complete DLC Collection bundle from the PlayStation Network (PSN) for Tokyo Xanadu until Monday, Feb 19 for FREE!
DLC Bundle contains all 39 pieces of additional content from the original PlayStation®Vita system version of 'Tokyo Xanadu' that can now be enjoyed on the PlayStation®4 system.
Includes all character's 'S Wear', all attachments, and NiAR wallpapers
Too bad they didn't do this for the steam release. I was thinking of picking it up while it's on sale and this would have pushed me into buy territory.

Too bad they didn't do this for the steam release. I was thinking of picking it up while it's on sale and this would have pushed me into buy territory.
It was included with the base game on the Steam version. I had it all in my inventory when I started the game. Not sure if it was ever removed because it's not actual "DLC" as it's not included in the DLC tab.

Keep in mind this "Collection" is only stuff from the Vita version. It doesn't include any of the new DLC for the PS4.

I checked out with the Metroid but it said it was sold out...but I wanted the Smash Bros. for the Wii U when the price dropped (as I had it on the 3DS)...Went for Paper Mario as well. Hopefully better than the last game.

I was just able to place a Blue Reflection order for pickup on Thursday. Shipping was available too for 3.99 (no dollar off for pick up though :( )

I knew KT games usually go out of stock quick once they hit $20 on BB, but Blue Reflection didnt even last 5 hours on sale.

How many copies did BB have on hand, 2 of them?
I guess they didn't have many but I wouldn't be surprised if it came back in stock like Toukiden 2. T2 was sold out for a long time then suddenly showed up again a few days ago (but looks like its sold out again).

Amazon finally matched Gamestop on Blue Reflection and School Girl/Zombie Hunter:

Blue Reflection:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reflection-PlayStation-4/dp/B072199RYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1518881617&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+reflection

School Girl/Zombie Hunter:

https://www.amazon.com/School-girl-Zombie-Hunter-PlayStation-4/dp/B0762Q1W4R/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1518881652&sr=1-1&keywords=school+girl%2Fzombie+hunter+-+playstation+4

I guess they didn't have many but I wouldn't be surprised if it came back in stock like Toukiden 2. T2 was sold out for a long time then suddenly showed up again a few days ago (but looks like its sold out again).
Damn it. Wish I would have known about Toukiden 2. Been looking for that one.

I snagged a Nights of Azure 2 for pickup Friday. The alternate in store pickup location I chose went out of stock while I was looking for directions.

If only that would happen to Berserk too

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Mythras figure just got announced  :whistle2: 
CUxC3qP.jpg

There's also a Guardian (BOTW) Nendroid & Inkling Girl Figma.

It'll come with those same dumb poles that the Homura figure has. Then again these figures aren't exactly made for people who have a bunch of figures already since they take up so much real estate. 

Just for anyone that is curious about the difference between the Rice Digital Muv-Luv CE sets, compared to the KS versions, I just got a response that made it clear the KS CE will be far superior,

"We can't fully disclose this yet, but rest assured the Rice Digital Limited Editions are totally different, and its "extra" item(s) aren't even close to the value of a single exclusive item that's included in the backer's collector's box. Even the digital versions are significantly cheaper in Kickstarter."

So that restores my faith in backing the KS version a little bit at least. ;D

A couple games with recognizable names releasing this week. I definitely recommend checking out Defender's Quest as I really enjoyed it on the PC. Hopefully Little Witch Academia turns out to be pretty decent.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Chinese Ink Painting Puzzle & Creator / 國畫拼圖創作家 (Puzzle)
- Speed Dating for Ghosts (Dating Sim / Weird)
- Nippon Marathon (Racing / Early Access)
- まぜっこタワー (Roguelike / Japanese Only)

Weekly Releases (February 18th - February 24th)

SteamWorld Dig 2
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on Switch, PS4, Vita & PC

ACA NeoGeo: Magical Drop III
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: eShop Only.

Ace of Seafood
- Genre: Action / Weird
- Online: Probably.
- Comments: Previously released on PC. The PC version was online, so this one should also support it.

Arcade Archives: Heroic Episode
- Genre: Action / SHMUP
- Comments: eShop only.

Dragon Sinker
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: KEMCO mobile port.

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten DX Edition
- Genre: Tower Defense
- Comments: Previously released on PC. It's a fun game.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action / Beat'em Up
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Should have multiplayer from the get go in the English version.

Metal Gear Survive
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action / Survival

Xenon Valkyrie+
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Roguelike / Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on Vita & PC.

Restless Spirit
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Horror?
- Comments: Couldn't find any solid info on this title.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action RPG / Third-Person Shooter

Nonograms Prophecy
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Polish dev.

If you know what I mean
- Genre: Visual Novel

TinyWar high-speed
- Genre: Real-Time Strategy
- Comments: Japanese indie game.

A Kiss For The Petals - Maidens of Michael
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri
- Comments: Published by MangaGamer. 18+ Patch should exist.

YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY-
- Genre: Psychological / Adventure / Surreal
- Comments: Published by AGM PLAYISM. Based off of the RPG Maker game, which is free on Steam.

Sister's Love
- Genre: Visual Novel

Seishin - Virtual Rhythm
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Rhythm / Music

Past Releases
February 11th - February 17th
February 4th - February 10th
January 28th - February 3rd
January 21st - January 27th
January 14th - January 20th

Is the Little Witch Academia game digital-only? Can't seem to find it at any retailers, but it's possible I'm just inept this early in the morning.

Is the Little Witch Academia game digital-only? Can't seem to find it at any retailers, but it's possible I'm just inept this early in the morning.
I can't seem to find it either. But I had noticed that Play-Asia has a NA version for pre-order, so I had assumed it was coming physical. I also didn't realize it was coming out already.

I can't seem to find it either. But I had noticed that Play-Asia has a NA version for pre-order, so I had assumed it was coming physical. I also didn't realize it was coming out already.
If the game is coming out next week and you don't see it on Amazon/GS/BBY, it is digital. Play-asian been wrong before.

bread's done
Back