Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there's a pick-up thread, but I wanted to show this off.

Got the Fate Extella Link with the mahjong set. It's pretty big. And heavy (almost 6.5 lbs).

8KSkho7.jpg

Quarter for scale

OzcRwRO.jpg

You guys remember that leak for the Star Fox racing game? I was actually super hype for that :(

Would have been so cool.
It was actually my "most wanted" title for this years E3, but I figured it was to good to be true. As anything Star Fox is doomed to be a low priority project to anyone at "N", sadly :wall:

Got the Fate Extella Link with the mahjong set. It's pretty big. And heavy (almost 6.5 lbs).

8KSkho7.jpg

Quarter for scale

OzcRwRO.jpg
How much did it wind up costing? I completely forgot to preorder it. The MJ set looks legit as hell and I would pick up for that alone.

8KSkho7.jpg

Quarter for scale

OzcRwRO.jpg
Nice! That Extella Link CE is so damn tempting.....but I have no idea how to play mahjong, and I don't think I'd ever play it with anyone so that set would probably sit in storage somewhere... :(

Also, the Resident Evil 2 Remake looks SO DAMN GOOD! That game is probably my most hyped title from E3, I remember playing through the original 2 so many times.

Also, the Resident Evil 2 Remake looks SO DAMN GOOD! That game is probably my most hyped title from E3, I remember playing through the original 2 so many times.
Yeah, RE2 was probably my favorite until RE4 came along, and this remake looks damn cool. I'll for sure get it at some point down the road.

Same. It's what really got me into knife only speedruns for the series. I'm really hoping the 4th Survivor, Tofu Survivor, and Extreme Battle modes will be in. :pray:

I would like Blazing/Binding Blade to get the Echoes Treatment if they don't do an Echoes Treatment to one of the unlocalized Fire Emblem games.
6 wasn't localized. It was fantranslated though which is how I imagine all of us here played it. I definitely agree that game would greatly benefit from a remake. I dunno about 7 though. It was pretty good as is.

How much did it wind up costing? I completely forgot to preorder it. The MJ set looks legit as hell and I would pick up for that alone.
It was 13580 + 3120 JPY, so ~$151 shipped. Amiami (and Amazon.co.jp) still has it in stock, and the Vita version is about $20 cheaper. Amiami offering DHL shipping saved my butt, cause SAL Parcel was 5900.

Nice! That Extella Link CE is so damn tempting.....but I have no idea how to play mahjong, and I don't think I'd ever play it with anyone so that set would probably sit in storage somewhere... :(
To be fair, Chinese and Taiwanese mahjong are much easier to learn. Riichi is much, much more complicated. I have a Chinese set, but I typically avoid physical Riichi because I have never not messed up the scoring.

6 wasn't localized. It was fantranslated though which is how I imagine all of us here played it. I definitely agree that game would greatly benefit from a remake. I dunno about 7 though. It was pretty good as is.
Totally agree on Fe6 remake, the game needs polish on many aspects such as Roy being shitty lord+ super late promo, rogue promo, divine weapons and true ending requirements. Also alot of characters are just poorly written.

eh most lords are garbage so this is nothing new.  Worst things had to be recruiting the archer lord while protecting the green units and villagers the one map.  The recruitment of percival being the most hair pulling nightmare.  If you didn't have to use a dancer to do it then it might not have been as horrible.  And yeah fuck whoever came up with the true ending bs.

And STILL no Tira confirmation? Gonna pass so damn hard on this if she doesn't show up.
Guess you won't be buying the game. Tira appears too late in the SC timeline to be included in the reboot of SC6.
The reason Zasalamel is in the roster is due to his ressurection powers, which can place him in past events prior to SC3 while keeping his familiar appearance.

eh most lords are garbage so this is nothing new. Worst things had to be recruiting the archer lord while protecting the green units and villagers the one map. The recruitment of percival being the most hair pulling nightmare. If you didn't have to use a dancer to do it then it might not have been as horrible. And yeah fuck whoever came up with the true ending bs.
Roy is locked as 5 move sword user with 6 con, not many lords are treated this badly, and there are games like Ike emblem or sigurd emblem out there.

It was 13580 + 3120 JPY, so ~$151 shipped. Amiami (and Amazon.co.jp) still has it in stock, and the Vita version is about $20 cheaper. Amiami offering DHL shipping saved my butt, cause SAL Parcel was 5900.

To be fair, Chinese and Taiwanese mahjong are much easier to learn. Riichi is much, much more complicated. I have a Chinese set, but I typically avoid physical Riichi because I have never not messed up the scoring.
Thanks for the info, probably will pick up the vita version then. I've only ever played chinese style, but even then the scoring is complicated as hell. Riichii style is just confusing, but it's the only version most available/accessible.

Lyndis is best Lord.
Can't like this enough lol. Waifu lord is only lord.

Thanks for the info, probably will pick up the vita version then. I've only ever played chinese style, but even then the scoring is complicated as hell. Riichii style is just confusing, but it's the only version most available/accessible.

Can't like this enough lol. Waifu lord is only lord.
best criticals

Pls no. This don't need the DLC. Unless it's free

Lyndis is best Lord.
I just want to solo the game with Hector.
And because of awesome lords like them is why I said most. Sadly good lord units are a rarity for whatever reason.

That is more than likely a cult of evil/evil organization. Or at least that's what my vast experience with rpgs tells me. Since 9 times out of ten if there's a church then it's evil.

Roy is locked as 5 move sword user with 6 con, not many lords are treated this badly, and there are games like Ike emblem or sigurd emblem out there.
To be fair the stats across the board are lower in that game so it's no wonder. Most units are lucky if they hit 20 attack. You can't say that of other fire emblems.

5 movement isn't that low though. it's about average. lyn erika hector ephraim and eliwood all had 5 movement as well. Ike had 8 in por and 7 in rd so he's an odd exception. its one of the many reasons why I dislike lord units since they are slow ass swordsman. In a series where you typically get much better swordsman in the merc class.

Fate/Extella Link DLC Lineup No. 2 ‘Resort Set’ trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUvQ3WJ1JtI

Japanese Little Dragons Cafe trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-u1dyyZjc4

Team Sonic Racing Gameplay Walkthrough - IGN LIVE E3 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyahy7JMrZQ

Zanki Zero details parasites, standard and charge attacks, parts destruction, and co-sleeping effects

Senran Kagura Reflexions – Yomi DLC footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4akUKOgjw

Super Neptunia RPG details dungeons, battles

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: Atelier of a New Land official Japanese website opened

I'm so glad Sega released a demo for Shining Resonance Refrain so I could experience how boring the game is. It's sad that this is what we get after years of no Shining games, but alas, preorder canceled. :cry:

Isn't that only half the set? I remember reading this up when the set was announced, and the PS4 version had half the tiles, the Vita CE had the other half...

8KSkho7.jpg

Quarter for scale

OzcRwRO.jpg

I'm so glad Sega released a demo for Shining Resonance Refrain so I could experience how boring the game is. It's sad that this is what we get after years of no Shining games, but alas, preorder canceled. :cry:
The demo is really short though.

As stated by Drakeon.

"The demo is very short and only contains the very beginning of the game (the tower) with a bit of tutorial. There is very little combat and it's mostly VN style dialogue, so just a heads up. It seems like it lets you save at the end of the demo, thus I assume you'll be able to pick up where you left off with the main game."

Roy promo is super late tho, the other lords can usually promote much earlier gaining more move.
Most lords promote late. Eliwood promotes in chapter 26 and hector in chapter 28 iirc. lyn earliest promotion is chapter 24 or you can promote hector/eliwood instead depending on route.

erika/ephraim only promote after chapter 16.

macaih promotes the worst of any character imo since she gets double promotion and both are towards the end of the game in quick succession.

Ike is again an exception to the rule since he promotes towards the middle of his respective game.

Then there's marth in shadow dragon who instead of promoting just gets to level 10 more times. Granted from what I understand he was broken in the original with falchion so whatever.

I can confirm that the MJ tiles in the Extella Link are pretty decent, and to my amazement as someone who really disliked Extella, Extella Link is surprisingly very fun.

Isn't that only half the set? I remember reading this up when the set was announced, and the PS4 version had half the tiles, the Vita CE had the other half...
Na, it's the whole set. The promo sets showed only 1/4 of a set (since each pattern has 4 identical ones). But we found out not long after that that it's a full set.

Most lords promote late. Eliwood promotes in chapter 26 and hector in chapter 28 iirc. lyn earliest promotion is chapter 24 or you can promote hector/eliwood instead depending on route.
erika/ephraim only promote after chapter 16.
macaih promotes the worst of any character imo since she gets double promotion and both are towards the end of the game in quick succession.

Ike is again an exception to the rule since he promotes towards the middle of his respective game.

Then there's marth in shadow dragon who instead of promoting just gets to level 10 more times. Granted from what I understand he was broken in the original with falchion so whatever.
But hector and eliwood start at chapter 11, so it's more like 14 16 18 for 3 lords vs Roy's 21x

Senran Kagura Reflexions – Yomi DLC footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4akUKOgjw
Both Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and the Yomi DLC coming out in the same day was truly a gift from the gods. The only thing that would make this even better is if Ai Kayano voiced the Octolings also.

e8oSKSe.gif

I haven't followed the Shining series in ages, but yeah, it always sucks when a company returns to a franchise, only to offer a lesser title to long time fans. Then normally like clockwork, they state how no one is interested as the current game often sells poorly due to quality, so they tell everyone how the interest is no longer there and no future games will happen. They love to pass the blame on to consumers, when a simple look in the mirror shows where the issues are. Hopefully that doesn't become the case here, as maybe the game is more than early impressions, but I've seen it happen more often than not.

It's unfortunate that they decided to just have the demo at the very beginning of the game. It doesn't really do much to show off combat and what it does show is very basic and only really solo action outside of a very short and easy final battle in the demo. A place later in the game would've been better or let you at least make it a little further than the town segment that's right after the tower. I recall there being an optional Gryphon hunt that helped show off combat a bit better. It would also show off the camping, which is similar to Grandia camping.

Supplice has actually beaten the game though, unlike me. However if the demo made someone not pre-order then that is fine. They can always change their minds if they want after the game releases and people have given their full game impressions.

As stated by Drakeon.

"The demo is very short and only contains the very beginning of the game (the tower) with a bit of tutorial. There is very little combat and it's mostly VN style dialogue, so just a heads up. It seems like it lets you save at the end of the demo, thus I assume you'll be able to pick up where you left off with the main game."
Right, but after doing more research (that I probably should have done before preordering the game in the first place), I found that the majority of the full game's character interactions are in the same VN style--which I've come to hate in RPGs when not handled like Persona with its interactions--and that there's only one town in the whole game. I'm also not a fan of anything that references 5-10 exclusive terms in as many minutes without explaining any of them.

All in all, I just don't think Shining Resonance is worthy of my time, at least when it launches. If I ever buy it, it'll be at $20 or less, and only if I can't find some other JRPG to occupy my time.

I didn't preorder Shining Resonance because I was on the fence already, and yeah the demo did nothing for me. 

I wonder if Sega is going to bother patching their new Genesis collection, the sound issues in it are kinda annoying. I would like to play Shining Force and SFII on it but hopefully without hearing a grinding noise every 10 mins or so.

But hector and eliwood start at chapter 11, so it's more like 14 16 18 for 3 lords vs Roy's 21x
for 2 lords. you brought up hector and eliwoods join times so you have to segregate lyn. And that's still only 3-4 chapters before the end of the game for eliwood and hector. Lyns is about 6 till the end of the game since she can promote earlier than them. Without counting the extra chapters. Add those to the pile and it's quite a big difference since she would be promoting 30 chapters into the game and 9 before the end of it.

and roy promotes also 4 chapters before the end of the game.

Late promotion is a characteristic found in nearly ALL LORD UNITS. Just like low movement and middling stats in most cases. Also I can't recall who brought up con stat on roy but lyns is lower than his and eliwoods was only 1 point higher iirc. So again every complaint thus far that has been lodged isn't exclusive to him.

She also got mani katti a 3 weight weapon with 45 uses, also not forced to deploy every map. I'm just saying Roy has it somewhat rougher early on, i mean after promo he can be more broken than Ryoma/Xander in fate. Also that 4 chapters b4 ending only apply to the BS true ending.

Shuhei Yoshida Confirms There Are Still New Unannounced PS4 Exclusives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xk-TYS7p5Y
Well *of course* there are! I mean, at the very least, though not announced, you *know* there is going to be an MLB The Show 19 (probably 20 as well) on the PS4. This is that great non-news news. Thanks for compiling the links as always.

Looks like Resident Evil 2 is increasing in price a bit from the announcement of the REmake.
That's not actually surprising. The REmake was a port of an existing GameCube/Wii release, which also got released on the PC. They changed very little in terms of content, mainly just focusing on bringing the game over to new platforms in a stable format. From what we've seen of the Resident Evil 2 remake, it is going to be a top-to-bottom revision, with different gameplay, and full-on 3D graphics as opposed to the pre-rendered backgrounds of REmake. It wouldn't be unusual for them to charge the full $60 for that. It will effectively be no different than a new game. They'll have an existing story to work from, but everything else will have to be re-tooled.

If they were giving it the same treatment as REmake, I would not look kindly on a full-priced release. But with the amount of effort they appear to be putting in, I have no problem with it. I may still wait until I can get it for less, this is CAG, after all.

Octopath Traveler Prologue Demo is out on the eShop for the Switch. It will carry over progress to the game when it releases. It's a 1.6GB download and I believe will last about 3 hours in length.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1007348223634169856

Oh I've been waiting for Hapymaher. I hope it's a lot better than Chrono Clock, which was very average. It sounds very unique though. Two good months of Mangagamer releases. I missed one or two they published, which I'll put out on the weekend.

bread's done
Back