Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soul Calibur 6 is already announcing DLC characters before the full cast is out. Now I need to debate if I'm getting the season pass since I play Talim and Tira.

Also, sad news: Amazon is ending their 20% preorder discount on video games entirely.

The final packaging for Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists was shown on an Atelier Online live stream. Further confirms all the Mysterious, Dusk, and Arland alchemists are in.

kikJtlA.png

I mean, $10 credit isn't so bad. If it applies to cheaper games, it could be quite nice.
Yeah, well it's better than nothing, that's for sure, but it also expires within 60 days after being added to your account. So their pretty much telling you to spend it now on shit if you want it or not, as it's expiring soon. I rarely if ever buy anything new, so I'll just have to wait on the standard discounts to happen over time.

I used to grab an occasional game here and there because of the Prime discount, now with out it, there's no reason to pay full price, so I'll never get the $10 credit. It's a lose/lose for me, but for those buying a game anyway, of course the $10 is cool(I guess). I only started Prime last year, as I use it mostly for business, and my son uses the video stuff. So I was never in this for the discount on games anyways, so loosing it now isn't a huge deal. But with the 2 day shipping that can be 3-6 days, and the rather poor discounts in general now, I'll for sure be rethinking Prime next year.

I don't like this new trend of fighting games announcing DLC characters ahead of the game even coming out. Cram 'em all in there and then work on DLC after the game is out to keep its life span going. I don't want to feel like I'm buying an incomplete product on day 1.

It sucks, but it kinda makes more sense for a competitive fighting games compared to a single player game.

Every character you add has to be balanced against the existing cast. It's just not a palette swap.

Even then, palette swaps in fighting games often have bugs. I remember Tekken 4 had issues with Eddie/Christie, and Xiaoyu/Miharu. There was something with one of the MvCs too.

Edit: Should they have made staples like Talim part of the original release though? Probably. But that's a different issue.

I don't like this new trend of fighting games announcing DLC characters ahead of the game even coming out. Cram 'em all in there and then work on DLC after the game is out to keep its life span going. I don't want to feel like I'm buying an incomplete product on day 1.
I agree. Sell your game for $80 or $100 if it's worth that much. (it usually isn't)

But for them, they need the constant publicity from gaming sites associated with the coverage they get every time they announce or release a new DLC character.

It sure feels like games are never going to get priced at more than $60. But more and more DLC is going to continue to get added, and version 1.0's are going to continue getting dropped to $20 at even faster rates. It's like Destiny 2. The game has been 10 bucks several times now. But so what. That's not even the full game anymore and we're stacking DLC on top of DLC and then an expansion. The upfront pricing has kind of become a lie in several instances. In any case, it always feels like you're buying an old, and incomplete product. Certainly not one that has any value for being in physical form. I can buy those games during Steams sales or get them from bundles instead since digital is all that matters.

Yeah I really don't like the fighting game model. $20 tops for PS4. Their day1 prices crater fast. They consistently cannibalize their own value. In fact they don't even provide much value in the first place. Which is why so many devs are making fighting games now; it's easy money.

I'm not sure why buying a complete edition is so much to ask. Even Street Fighter during the PS3 era did it better. Those were complete games. I'd rather have those than the amalgamations we have now. No one likes feeling nickle and dimed, or that they're missing out on the complete experience.

I don't really mind post launch DLC, especially in the case of something like Tekken or SFV with their season passes. But it just kinda rubs me the wrong way when a game is still like 2-3 months out and they are already talking DLC characters. Yet Super Smash Bros is still announcing new characters 4 months away.

Tira will be a pre-order bonus, so yes, she will be ready once the game launches. The game has gone gold, though, so it is possible they are still refining her since the primary development has been completed.

Regardless, if you want her and don't wanna pay for DLC, just pre-order the game. It's still annoying, but not as asinine as straight cut content.

Tira will be a pre-order bonus, so yes, she will be ready once the game launches. The game has gone gold, though, so it is possible they are still refining her since the primary development has been completed.

Regardless, if you want her and don't wanna pay for DLC, just pre-order the game. It's still annoying, but not as asinine as straight cut content.
Oh, thats not nearly as bad then. Its just always been a bit of a gripe of mine, especially after Cross Tag came out (Which I passed on because all of that DLC is fucking asinine)

Cross tag looks awesome.  That's the one fighting game that really caught my attention lately.  I was going to buy it. 

annnd then there's the DLC dilemma. 

But yeah, Smash is the proper way to do a fighting game.  That kind of release is perfect.   Nintendo really got their DLC right with Mariokart, Zelda and Smash in recent years.   They were handled perfectly and each game was a complete experience without DLC. 

I don't really mind post launch DLC, especially in the case of something like Tekken or SFV with their season passes.
The post launch DLC for Injustice 2 didn't bother me so much, since there were so many new gear additions it almost felt like you were getting your money's worth for the content. Plus, they were a ton of characters in the base game, so DLC wasn't even needed.

That's not the case with Dragonball FighterZ. Every character's moveset plays nearly the same, and $4.99 for base Goku is ridiculous. Not to mention, the roster is already limited, brought down even more by multiple versions of Goku/Vegeta. I miss games like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Raging Blast 2, where you had an insanely large character selection and zero character-based DLC.

Apparently Soul Calibur 6's season pass only contains 3 characters and Tira for those who don't get her through pre-order.
It cost 30 bucks.
That is repulsive.

It looks like Tira is a day one bonus for season pass pre-orders, not for the base game. Beyond that they really need to clarify because they sure as shit don't properly explain anything.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/soulcalibur/status/1031955404207476737

The post launch DLC for Injustice 2 didn't bother me so much, since there were so many new gear additions it almost felt like you were getting your money's worth for the content. Plus, they were a ton of characters in the base game, so DLC wasn't even needed.

That's not the case with Dragonball FighterZ. Every character's moveset plays nearly the same, and $4.99 for base Goku is ridiculous. Not to mention, the roster is already limited, brought down even more by multiple versions of Goku/Vegeta. I miss games like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Raging Blast 2, where you had an insanely large character selection and zero character-based DLC.
They refuse to give us Jaco.

I think Bulma and Hercule can be legit characters to play. Bulma can be equipment based like Kokonoe from Blazblue. Hercule can be the joke character like he was in Budokai

Cross tag looks awesome. That's the one fighting game that really caught my attention lately. I was going to buy it.

annnd then there's the DLC dilemma.
It's a shame because BBTag is actually a great fighting game. I've been playing it a ton lately, and the "new" characters are actually super fun to play as. But I also held out on buying it at launch because of the DLC debacle, and felt that really hurt the game cuz the online community is pretty dead for such a new game.

I did make a combo video for it though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGbBwxDQSQ

The DLC of IJ2, especially that season pass, was really well done. Those premium skins had aesthetics designed like entirely new characters. They also had cool guest characters come in, and TMNT was basically 4 characters in one. Also had a slew of new gear for every character, and even let people try it out for free for the first week in the multiverse mode. Definitely one of the best companies to handle fighting game DLC.

Thanks! I have a price mistake order at amazon already, but placed an order for store pick up just in case amazon doesn't come through

They refuse to give us Jaco.

I think Bulma and Hercule can be legit characters to play. Bulma can be equipment based like Kokonoe from Blazblue. Hercule can be the joke character like he was in Budokai
Jaco and Bulma would've been awesome. I always liked how most of the earlier Dragonball games included a few non-standard characters, like Master Roshi or Hercule.

Also had a slew of new gear for every character, and even let people try it out for free for the first week in the multiverse mode. Definitely one of the best companies to handle fighting game DLC.
That was a great feature, allowing players to try the new characters for a full week. I bought a few that I otherwise probably wouldn't have, like Enchantress. And as much as I didn't want Raiden as DLC, he was cool because of the Black Lightning premiere skin.

Jaco and Bulma would've been awesome. I always liked how most of the earlier Dragonball games included a few non-standard characters, like Master Roshi or Hercule.

That was a great feature, allowing players to try the new characters for a full week. I bought a few that I otherwise probably wouldn't have, like Enchantress. And as much as I didn't want Raiden as DLC, he was cool because of the Black Lightning premiere skin.
Unfortunately, they rather us a bunch of different versions of Goku and Vegeta.

Watch them announce Kid Goku

Unfortunately, they rather us a bunch of different versions of Goku and Vegeta.

Watch them announce Kid Goku
I'd rather have kid Goku (original, not GT) than Goku Turquoise or whatever other nonsense Super has been putting out, but of course Super is where they're getting all their interest from these days. Bleh.

Sorry; I’ve gotta express my disappointment. I got a copy of Little Dragon Cafe early, and the game is full of load screens, grammar errors, and a clock that thinks noon is “zero”. To anyone who’s on the fence considering it, I’m gonna say it’s not worth a day 1 buy.

Maybe I could overlook all that, but the actual game itself is pretty dull so far as well. I thought I might enjoy it, but unfortunately there’s much better games in this genre to play.

Guess I missed this, but are the Vita versions not coming out in the West?

Well I would've waited to post this with other information in a month or so, but since Overwatch's D.Va is probably the most popular here I figure it'll get posted by someone anyways. Anyhow, D.Va finally got her origin story animation short that's around 7 minutes long, but don't go in expecting it to be like Reinhardt's Honor & Glory short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7j2d6YCQbg

EDIT: Also may as well mention the new control map to be released soon named [customspoiler='Busan']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSpPxaNyJQ[/customspoiler]. It's out on the PTR currently.

D.va short didn't do much for me. Nice action but really didn't tell me anything about the character that I didn't already know... and I don't know too much about Overwatch lore.

Langrisser I & II Famitsu Scans:
scan_1.jpg

scan_2.jpg

Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists Famitsu Scans:
scan-3.jpg

scan-4.jpg

scan-5.jpg

scan-6.jpg

The Wold Ends With You- Final Remix Famitsu Scans:
scan-7.jpg

scan-8.jpg

scan-9.jpg