Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
How are the Evil Within games? I've heard the first is okay and the second is good, but I can't say I've looked to deeply into either. Been itching for a good horror game lately, too.

I HATEEEEE Amazon's new video game pre-order system. Pretty much nothing thread related gets $10 Amazon credit ...
Sorry about the rant.
Don't be. I thought this was going to end up being the case, so I did cancel. My renewal was right after they canceled the old promo, so I placed preorders for what I could and then cancelled Prime.

I don't think anyone should pick vanilla Final Fantasy XV over the Royal Edition. It's not just the character episodes outside of the main game you'd be missing. To the main game the Royal Edition adds being able to switch to the other three main characters during battle, and a new area near the end of the game.

Being able to switch to the other characters adds variety to the game. Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis all have different play styles. It makes the game more enjoyable.

In the vanilla game once you get to the end-game you pretty much just walk up to the last boss fights. I thought it was anticlimactic, and it seemed like the developers didn't have time to make an end level. The Royal Edition adds in a final level, and some extra fights along the way makes the end-game feel more epic.

If you get the vanilla edition then decide you want the character episodes and the Royal Edition gameplay upgrades know that they are not packaged together. The cost of both will probably be more than what a copy of Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition can be found for on sale.

Royal Edition also has a new fishing spot, and the ability to go into first-person mode.

If you get a copy of Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition you also get several extra costumes for Noctis (which come with minor stat boosts). And, you get the online multiplayer Comrades game.

There are games where a vanilla copy is good enough, but I don't think Final Fantasy XV is one of them.
If I buy the Royal Edition will I be able to load my vanilla save file with it?

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT DLC character Yuna announced

Yuna Character Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er4ghmFgHg
Final Battlefield Map Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uT1lCtO4rc

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Free Edition Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chVloYmzlFg

Kingdom Hearts III ‘Winnie the Pooh’ trailer

English Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-raf9UGFg

Japanese Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twr5O09Tbg0

Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII coming to Xbox One Backward Compatibility on November 13

Devil May Cry 5 ‘The Void’ developer diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiC5aCJKifs

I'll just play Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy three times.
Fixed

That annoucement about Dissidia NT going to a free version basically tells me it's going to follow the DoA5 path to irrelevance / the grave.  Been debating over the season pass still on sale for $15 but I honestly have no desire to play the game.  I guess I'll just cut my losses owning the steelbook version i bought and hope they learn and produce something more like duodecim next time.

I played the fan translation, the PS1 version, and the GBA version. So I guess I already win.
Playing any FF from VI on down is a win, and always will be. Sadly, any games after that, things can get rather sketchy. LOL

6gRCnAr.gif

How do you patent that? I get that on Dolphin, PCSX2 and PPSSPP already.
I believe the patent it just for intercepting asset data that call things like textures and audio and allowing them to then inject new textures or audio in place of it without modifying the original game image. Whoever wrote the article doesn't understand what they were writing about or just wrote a dumb clickbait article. Probably both.

I can't think of any emulators that specifically do that off hand. Mostly because there was no need to from the emulator side as they prioritized making the game run and allowing other basic things to be injected like higher screen resolution, upscaling or anti-aliasing. When something where new textures are added, it's often injected directly into the game image/source forcefully and then loaded into the emulator in the emulation scene to my knowledge.

Though, yes, when using an emulator that has enough power behind it, things like textures can look better because the emulator can display it without forcing shrunken low resolution textures, blur, etc. Plus you have things like downsampling that will help improve stuff such as textures further as well as things like edges to where you may not even need anti-aliasing. Some things can be forcefully injected through the emulator itself like anti-aliasing though, but I don't really see things like that or HDR mentioned in it.

I have no idea if this patent would hold up in court. I very much doubt it's the first time it's been done. It's lawyer territory either way because they love their wording of things.

Though, yes, when using an emulator that has enough power behind it, things like textures can look better because the emulator can display it without forcing shrunken low resolution textures, blur, etc. Plus you have things like downsampling that will help improve stuff such as textures further as well as things like edges to where you may not even need anti-aliasing. Some things can be forcefully injected through the emulator itself like anti-aliasing though, but I don't really see things like that or HDR mentioned in it.

I have no idea if this patent would hold up in court. I very much doubt it's the first time it's been done. It's lawyer territory either way because they love their wording of things.
Well the good part about some of the better emulators is that it leaves it open ended so you could always find fan made HD packs to amplify the experience. Playing the original Xenoblade with the HD pack feels like a completely new experience and goes above and beyond any $50 "remastered" version that gets shit out these days.

This patent just reads weird. The wording almost reminds me of the Bleem emulator

Well the good part about some of the better emulators is that it leaves it open ended so you could always find fan made HD packs to amplify the experience. Playing the original Xenoblade with the HD pack feels like a completely new experience and goes above and beyond any $50 "remastered" version that gets shit out these days.

This patent just reads weird. The wording almost reminds me of the Bleem emulator
well its most likely their retro enforcing of released games and over censoring said titles, its not meant for bc games but to had light bars and what not over existing games to censor out what they dont agree with now in accordance with their new policy

Maybe they'll break into our homes and take all of our virtual guns too.

#MakeVideoGamesGreatAgain
well terrorism is high with them, that patent will also affect online and tv/movie purchases, whats sad is the extremism/terrorism they selectively go for with sex but they know guns, blood, violence, etc is what makes them the most money, so selective censorship for (political? sjw's, black power, women power, terrorism, propaganda,) the patent is for worldwide.....well whats worse is others following suite screwing over customers because those offended will never purchase anything but they need to make a point and feel better about their loser lifes and show off to ignorant idiots

I can't think of any emulators that specifically do that off hand. Mostly because there was no need to from the emulator side as they prioritized making the game run and allowing other basic things to be injected like higher screen resolution, upscaling or anti-aliasing. When something where new textures are added, it's often injected directly into the game image/source forcefully and then loaded into the emulator in the emulation scene to my knowledge.

PPSSPP does this, actually. So does Dolphin. It creates a hash of the original texture, and uses that to identify a replacement in a folder of images (texture pack) to use instead.

It was implemented in PPSSPP months before this "invention" was filed. It does intercept drawing and replace texture assets. There's plenty of existing emulators that do this too, including with NES, Nintendo 64, and Gameboy games - implemented years before, in some cases. The idea of sound effect replacement is also not new.

That said, you're totally right that it's not necessary to use texture replacements. Some emulators can dynamically upscale textures (which often looks better), and games often have higher resolution textures than necessary, which allows simply rendering at a higher resolution with existing textures to look better. This is equally true of PS2 classics on the PS4.

Anyway, I hope this means higher quality remasters. This is by no means a bad thing for them to implement.

-[Unknown]

Final Fantasy XV Sales Hit 8.4 Million Shipped Worldwide

"The updated sales figure for Final Fantasy XV makes it the third best selling game overall just behind Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X."

French Bread Says It Has Surprising New Content Coming To Under Night: In-Birth EXE Late[st]

Persona Q2’s Latest Character Trailer Introduces Ann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-pWOnjYSd4

Jump Force Gameplay Footage Shows Super Saiyan Blue Goku & Vegeta Vs. Golden Freiza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qymyDrPna5o

Zoids Wild: King of Blast Announced For Nintendo Switch, Releases February 28 In Japan

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince launches February 12 in the west

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTGFHaV1Bk

1. Seriously? The base one just came out, and here's one with 8 more games?
2. That Christmas theme will be a lot less appealing when you want to play Magician Lord in the spring.
Just a holiday cash grab for the collectors out there, and those that found the original games list lacking, which was most, sadly.

This movie makes no sense so far. They should have made Gate instead. Actually, scratch that, leave Gate alone.
I have no idea how that untalented hack keeps getting work. I guess ruining Resident Evil wasn't enough for him. What really pisses me off is how bad ass Milla Jovovich thinks she is because she's in nothing but garbage movies like this. The entire plot of this MH movie is like the joke crossover aspect of Peace Walker. Except that was done with more respect to the source material and will probably look better, too.

I have no idea how that untalented hack keeps getting work. I guess ruining Resident Evil wasn't enough for him. What really pisses me off is how bad ass Milla Jovovich thinks she is because she's in nothing but garbage movies like this. The entire plot of this MH movie is like the joke crossover aspect of Peace Walker. Except that was done with more respect to the source material and will probably look better, too.
I just want to see Milla Jovovich kill big monsters with a giant sword. Why doesn't the movie want to give me that?

bread's done
Back