Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Sakura Wars sweet. I wasn't a huge, huge fan of the PS2 one that came over, but I know it's a very well regarded series. Also been playing the VN a good librarian like a good shepard. This is a very high quality and long VN. I highly recommend people check it out. The characters are really interesting and I'm enjoying crawling toward my first ending. I read very quickly and have played for maybe 8 hours or so, and still am not super close to an ending.

It still baffles me that people consider "Social Justice Warrior" is an insult. I think it's aspirational. At best, I would be a social justice ensign....
My friends decided that phrase was retried in 2018. One sounds like an idiot when you use hollow cliches like that.

I kind of regret mentioning the Takaki thing, now that it shifted the conversation to SJW and Gamergate. I was hoping people would actually discuss the news itself, since it's pretty relevant to this scene and a bad omen.
Any other conversation would have arrived at a similar destination anyways. Censorship, Sony sucks, "they're taking away our video game tiddies", etc.

Looks like God Wars: The Complete Legend is being ported to PC/Steam for release this June. They're making it a rather key point that they're adding in mouse and keyboard controls, so I expect them to be halfway decent unlike most other Japanese ports. They're also adding in the ability to re-arrange party members in the formation screen and auto-placement for characters on maps which isn't a bad thing either. I still can't get over the main characters portrait always looking like he's picking his damn nose though. I didn't actually beat it, but it was fairly enjoyable for what I did play of the original PS4 release.

Also Yakuza: Kiwami 2 was rated by the ESRB for PC, so we'll likely see that on Steam in the not too distant future as well. The first one seems to be rated rather well, so it'll be a nice welcome addition to Japanese games ported to the PC.

And finally, I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned anything about the SEGA Genesis Mini, but I guess that all went to another deals thread. No I don't need a link, I just don't visit many threads that often anymore.

R-Type Final 2 coming for PS4 at some point.  Crowdfunding coming in May.  Not a lot about it, a couple of screenshots and a teaser trailer.  Description sounds like it might be an expanded and updated version of the original game with more modern display support.  Whatever, I am just happy to see an old shmup franchise see some new life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvJ5FTcf68

Yeah, could be a joke for sure, but often times developers release info today for that exact reason of extra free hype, so true info happens today as well(it's just not very common).

:rofl:

Maybe, while you are at it, you should ask for MM Legends 3 and a 'good' version of SFV? :bouncy:
Hey now, Itsuno is done with DMC5 and he has history with both rival schools and darkstalkers. I mean, my guess is he'll do a Dragon's Dogma 2 but he's talked about wanting to do a fighting game again. Those two are actually kinda believable, at least compared to MM Legends 3 lol.

Considering the potential a bamco bundle could have, I'm disappointed more good games aren't in this one.
I'm having a hard time thinking of any decent games Bamco has released in the last ~10 years. I mean, there's some fanservicey stuff, I guess? If you're into whatever IPs they're for. Beyond that... I mean, come on, there's gotta be some stuff other than Tekken that I'm just forgetting. Actually come to think of it, I haven't played a Tekken game in ages, are those still any good?

I'm having a hard time thinking of any decent games Bamco has released in the last ~10 years. I mean, there's some fanservicey stuff, I guess? If you're into whatever IPs they're for. Beyond that... I mean, come on, there's gotta be some stuff other than Tekken that I'm just forgetting. Actually come to think of it, I haven't played a Tekken game in ages, are those still any good?
What about tales of hearts r and berseria or vesperia?

Bandai-Namco co-developed Smash Ultimate and publishes Dark Souls, and they've got a ton of well-regarded (albeit niche) IPs under their belt like Tales, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, God Eater, Taiko, and Super Robot Wars. Plus Fighter Z was a pretty huge success and was very recent.

Bandai-Namco co-developed Smash Ultimate and publishes Dark Souls, and they've got a ton of well-regarded (albeit niche) IPs under their belt like Tales, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, God Eater, Taiko, and Super Robot Wars. Plus Fighter Z was a pretty huge success and was very recent.
Ah, Souls and Digimon! I knew I was forgetting something, thanks. FighterZ, too, though I tend to think of that as an ASW game more than a Bamco game, in spite of the IP; but yeah, that’s another good one.

Didn’t actually know Bamco published Ace Combat, don’t know much about that series.

yay more ports!, speaking of wii ports, i wish switch was capable of doing IR light gun games like the wii so the light gun catalog of wii games could get ported even if it was just by eshop.

I can definitely see the first two, but that last one came out of nowhere.
Metroid Prime Trilogy and ALTTP would complement the upcoming MP4 and Link's Awakening, respectively. Maybe they found that related games boost each other's sales.

Ah, Souls and Digimon! I knew I was forgetting something, thanks. FighterZ, too, though I tend to think of that as an ASW game more than a Bamco game, in spite of the IP; but yeah, that’s another good one.

Didn’t actually know Bamco published Ace Combat, don’t know much about that series.
Also the line of Naruto UNS games are pretty good too.

I'd like Skyward Sword on the Switch. I never played it and I can't go back to Wii graphics.
Graphically, the game holds up well enough. The actual game part of it is where it has all the appeal of a dried out turd.

I'm glad P5 is gonna be on the Switch, but if it's not the Royale version with cheese, then I probably won't double dip.

[url=https://gematsu.com/2019/04/senran-kagura-peach-ball-coming-west-this-summer]Senran Kagura: Peach Ball coming west this summer[/URL]

Senran Kagura: Peach Ball is coming to Switch in North America and Europe this summer, publishers XSEED Games and Marvelous announced. In North America, it will be available digitally via the Nintendo eShop and physically via a limited retail release available at XSEED Games’ online store and select retailers, both priced at $39.99. In Europe, it will only be available digitally.

A retail release for Peach Ball is great, but I was really hoping for some sort of Limited Edition...

Oh well, at least the game will not be completely digital like we've been seeing with others recently

bread's done
Back